Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I also have received those calls....not for the last visit though.
  • Options
    target3target3 Member Posts: 155
    The fuel gauge goes nearly to the full position (touching the full line, but not exactly overlapping it). The guy I spoke to at the dealership said as far as the reserve goes, if anything it will be more than the manual says.

We will see!
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i have never tried that! maybe that will work! :)
  • Options
    shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    Brian, you said "I am going to put an extra gallon in the trunk and run it dry..."

I don't think that's good for the car. I've heard that the catalytic converter, fuel pump, and/or fuel pump relay can be damaged if you run the car until it sputters out of gas.
  • Options
    I do think I read that. I will double check. I may still try to see how much further I can go. When it gets too low, but before completely running out, the fuel pump will make noise. So I could put more gas in at that point as well.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    In the shop. Yep, my Jetta is back in the shop. Just one week after getting the mildew smell eradicated (wasn't the filter, by the way), getting interior pieces reconnected and getting my window clips fixed, the little blue Jetta shined a funny little light at me: check engine. At 23,926 miles the light glowered at me. If not for my extended warranty I might have felt a little twinge of good fortune.

I dopped the car off and the service manager told me matter-of-factly "Without an appointment I can't guarantee you'll get your car back today." Oh, darn, I missed the memo from my Jetta that something would go wrong soon with its emissions. Rather than getting surly with him I just turned away and muttering sotto voce, "There's some excellent customer service."
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    closest I could find was:

n. pl. Sotho or So·thos

1. a. A group of closely related Bantu languages, including Tswana, spoken in southern Africa.
    b. Any of these languages.
    2. A member of a Sotho-speaking people.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    What was the cause of the mildew smell? Mold forming in the condensation from the AC?
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    sot·to vo·ce
    adv. & adj.
    In soft tones, so as not to be overheard; in an undertone: “There were aspersions cast, sotto voce, but knees quickly folded into curtsies when introductions were in order” (Barbara Lazear Ascher).
    Music. In very soft tones. Used chiefly as a direction.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I misread the "i" into that.

(Not that I knew what "sotto voce" meant, but if I read it better, I probably would have been able to derive it from context.

Thanks!
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You do put the fuel cap on tight, right? That would cause it. But you never had the problem before, otherwise you probably would have posted about it. Maybe the MAF?
  • Options
    I already thought of the gas cap thing and dismissed that as the cause. I checked it last night, then got gas this morning and double-checked the cap again before heading off to the stealership. That light refused to dim.

If it's the MAF, I'm in deep trouble as I just read that replacement MAFs are harder to find than Britney Spears' dignity.
  • Options
    You get a loaner car?

If they keep your car overnight, you should get one. Did you ever before?
  • Options
    There wasn't even an offer of a loaner.
  • Options
    the question is:

is the car "acting up?" if not, you have no worries. get the car back. the light will reset itself after a few tankfuls of gas. i learned that the hard way once, but it did take me letting the car get to almost empty and refilling twice.

if the "check engine" light is on, and the car is acting stranger than usual, you have a problem :)
  • Options
    Blown coils was the problem. Got it back last night. The car definitely feels different. Perhaps my blaming the newer, stickier tires for my mileage reduction was off...
  • Options
    Started the car yesterday around 3:30, drove 2-3 blocks, engine light flashing, no power when pushing the gas. :( Coils went. Came back home, parked the car, called VW roadside to take it 15 miles to the dealership by tow. Called the dealer manager (the svc. dept. was closed), asking for something to drive this weekend. They said they couldn't help me until Monday morning, because the loaner clerk was gone already. The manager said on Monday, I will be guaranteed a loaner when I walk in the door around 8am. It took the truck 2 hours to get here, but I told them I didn't want a regular tow truck (I was afraid of having the back drag or something). They brought a truck that held the car by its wheels and not by a hook, so that was cool. It would have taken the an hour and 45 mins. anyway, so no big deal.

I knew it was going to happen eventually. Thank God it was when the car was at home, and my friend was here (so I have someone to hang out with) and not on the highway or in another state.
  • Options
    okay, so what do we do about this? i mean, it is going to happen to us again! why are they putting replacement coils in that fail as well?

sorry you guys had the trouble. at least you weren't 300 miles from home in a monsoon over a holiday weekend where everything was closed.

vocus - i thought you car was automatic! since mine was is auto, they brought me a flatbed truck and just drove my car up on it, with what little power it had. isn't that required? or did my towing company just screw over VW Roadside (not like i care...)??

also - both of you - did either of your cars smell like rotton eggs? oh wait, BLUE, is that the smell you were complaining about? my car STUNK like heck when the coils went....what was causing your car to smell?

i went and looked at the 03 Miatas. they now offer BLACK leather and BLACK CLOTH tops. truly the most simple yet gorgeous car out there.
  • Options
    My car is automatic. I took the parking brake off, and they put the front wheels on the truck. Only the front wheels lock with the tranny, not the backs. And if they did damage it, who cares.

The car got there safe and sound though, I checked because I had to pass the dealership last night anyway. It was in the parking lot. I have to go there in the morning to get something to drive to work. We will see how long they keep the car.

My car has never smelled like rotten eggs actually. It did have this shaking at idle, but I thought that was normal. On Friday, it started shaking a little more than usual. Even more so on Saturday, then the engine light started flashing.

Also, if your car smells like eggs, it might be the catalatic converter that's bad. The woman on the phone with VW Roadside told me usually when the engine light flahes, that's the problem.

I will find out the prognosis tomorrow when I get there. I don't care how long they keep it, as long as it's fixed right.
  • Options
    scorefoorscorefoor Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this discussion board and would like to say Hi to you all! I am considering the purchase of a 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T but after reading all the posts I am more than concerned. To all of you out there, is the Jetta that unreliable? Is everyone having problems. If you have got more than 20,000 miles on a 2002 or newer I would like to hear from you, good or bad. I love this car but it does me no good if it is in the shop most of the time. You see, I'm presently driving a 92 Honda Accord with 256,000 miles and it has never been in the shop for repairs other than wear items like brakes and tires. Post or email me about your thoughts concerning the later model Jettas. I need to know if I should take this car off my list. Thanks Bill
  • Options
    I have an 02 Tiptronic Jetta 1.8T with ~26,500 miles on it, mostly highway.

I had it towed on Saturday afternoon, for the first time since I got it. There is a big problem with ignition coils on the 1.8T engine. It's affecting the Audi A4 and the Jetta/Golf/Beetle. I am the 3rd on this forum alone to have it happend to me, and know many, many people that have had it happend to them. I called the dealership, and would have gotten a loaner right away, had the svc. dept. not been closed already. They are gonna have one ready for me tomorrow morning while they work on my car to determine what's wrong with it.

I bought my car on 11/3/01 with 119 miles on it, and have had it in the shop many times (more than 10) for rattles. (All those problems have been solved, thank God!) It's a great car, I love it. It's also one of the safest and most solid-feeling small cars on the road.

Besides the coil problem, there is a window problem with the Jettas. VW claims this has been fixed for the 03 model year though. We shall see what happens. The back brakes tend to wear a little prematurely due to soft pads being used (this has happend to one co-worker of mine with a Jetta). VW paid for the parts & labor for the repair though, even though his car was out of warranty. So VW will step up to the plate for you and work with you through problems. As far as customer service, I have had one bad experience with a dealership. VWoA solved it promptly for me. Most experiences have been great though. Depends on the dealer you are working with.

I love the way my car drives and handles. It's also the most comfortable car I have had. Are Jettas in general a paragon of reliability? Not really. They are not going to hold up as well as a Honda or Toyota. They offer a much more rewarding driving experience though, and their interior functionality and style are top-notch (provided they don't rattle). And as much as I love this car, I will get the warranty extended when the basic warranty runs out. Parts/labor are pretty expensive for any car, especially a European one. Am I sorry I got this car? Not at all. I wish I'd not had to deal with the niggling rattles that I have gone through though.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a car to last 100,000 miles+ with minimal expense, the Jetta or any German car might not be a good alternative for you. Best of luck on your decision though. :)
  • Options
    The smell was my AC...it's sorta back. argh. No big deal though as it's muted compared to two weeks ago.

Reliability on my Jetta is not exactly bad (at least not American car bad, but certainly not Japanese dependable). So far i've taken the car in for 4 legit problems and sundry minor complaints. Real problems: one broken center console, one broken sliding cover for the power outlet, AC that reeks of mildew and finally the blown coils. I haven't been stranded though, so it's not like the car is a keeping me from getting anywhere.

Would I buy another VW? Probably not. I really do have fun with my engine and I love the feel of the car now with the better tires and swaybar. I also dig the interior and i feel positively safe in my car (something I never feel in any Japanese or American car). But I'm not real pleased that in 24k miles and 18 months I've had to take the car in 4 times for real problems and 3 other times for rattles and squeaks.

It's a real dilemma actually. I love the feel, safety, styling and driving dynamics of German cars but their penchant for frequent and expensive repairs scares me. Seeing the latest JD Power 4-5 reliability ratings only confirmed my feelings...the Japanese still build the most trouble free cars. At this point I'm fairly certain my next car will have to be Nissan, Infiniti or Mazda (I won't drive Hondas or Toyotas).

Just my .02 cents as a VW owner and prior Japanese car owner.
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    have you heard of the mazda6? another fun to drive dandy four door you might want to consider. reliability on this car is an unknown though. if you done your research, you already know that the Jetta could be a tad more reliable. even so, this shouldn't stop you from getting a Jetta if that's what you really want. it's not like ford focus bad.
  • Options
    AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    My 2002 GLS 1.8T just crossed the 20,000 mark this weekend. I haven't had any problems from mine at all.

One thing you need to remember about message forums is that you'll hear way more complaints than you will positive comments. Misery loves company.

I used to drive a Honda Accord, and it was a very nice appliance. It got me from point A to B reliably.

My Jetta is fun to drive. It makes me smile. I feel good just looking at it. IMO the Tornado Red is the perfect shade of red for a car. (I didn't know Tornadoes were red)

If reliability is your #1 priority, this may not be the car for you. But you ought to at least give it a test drive and see if it speaks to you.
  • Options
    I whole heartedly echo your feelings about the Jetta. I have always had either American cars (2 Bonnevilles, and a Cavalier), or Japanese cars (2 Mazda Proteges). I feel safer in the Jetta than in any of those cars, even the Bonnevilles. The car feels solid on the road at extra-legal speeds, and tight as a drum even after traversing the rough roads in Baltimore and DC over the past year (rattles not withstanding, as they are gone now). I feel the same way about the dilemma though. I like the VW, but don't want to contend with its (predicted) reliabilty rating. But I can't find anything else to make me feel like the Jetta does behind the wheel.
  • Options
    I echo the feelings in your post as well. If you want to drive an appliance that goes from A to B everyday without drama and without fun, then the Camcords are perfect. However, if you crave driving enjoyment and don't mind the possibility of a couple of bumps along the road, then the Jetta is a perfect choice.
  • Options
    onearmedmidgetonearmedmidget Member Posts: 1
    It looks like they have an updated coil pack, that is why the national backorder, hopefully the problem is fixed.
  • Options
    I hope the problem will be fixed. I have to go to the dealer and find out what's wrong with the car (I am sure it's the coil pack), and how long it will take them to order/fix it. It being a holiday week, it doesn't look good. We shall see though.
  • Options
    chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    I have 17,000 miles on my 2002 TDI now, and I haven't had a single problem. I love the car, love the torque, and cannot beat the mileage (49 mpg). I suggest you drive it back to back with the 1.8T, because depending on how much you drive, you can really save alot. Just ask Vocus how much he wishes for the TDI! ;-)

Ooh, and I ordered me some sweet smoked E-code headlights on Friday, they should be here any day now. I can't wait to get them on my car!
  • Options
    Well, I am dropping my car off at the dealer later this am. Not sure if I mentioned this, but I am hearing a metal on metal rattle when my tach hits 2100 rpm. It sounds as if a heat sheild is loose or something. I can even hear the rattle when I shut my door. This will be added to the list of things to fixwhen it is at the dealer. And yes Vocus, they are providing me with a loaner.....
  • Options
    I only have 8900 on my 2002 1.8T, but have also not had one issue. This car has been great! - Just like all my other VWs :)
  • Options
    they have such preventable problems, that is what KILLS me. a freaking 30 cent part called a coil. they don't come in packs for the 1.8T from what i hear. just like the window, they replace the bad parts with new bad parts. very frustrating.

it is almost like they don't want to be considered ultra durable cars for some reason. i don't know why... Such pitiful little issues that can cause major problems in certain situations. knock on wood, mine is driving just fine lately.
  • Options
    what exactly is a coil? A co-worker had his replaced, and he made it sound like it was actually the spark plug?

If they are that inexpensive, I will demand that all be replaced if I ever have such a problem.
  • Options
    you are close to correct from what i understand. each cylinder has it's own coil. i THINK it serves as some sort of "spark" item....

they won't replace all of them, if all of them aren't bad. and besides, the replacement parts are just as faulty as the ones installed in the factory. until i hear otherwise, i would just have to assume that it is going to take three years for VW to confess like it did for the window regulators...
  • Options
    Mazda 6 is on my shortlist to replace the Jetta. I'm looking very forward to trying one out in December. Given that it's a Mazda maybe it'll get discounts and great financing rates quickly. Of course poor resale is another issue too, but I'm counting on my next car lasting me 5 years or so.
  • Options
    hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    Why are these a problem on the Jetta and not Passats? From what I understand the 1.8t is identical on both cars with the exception of some programming and the way it is oriented in the engine.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    on the maintenance board with a Passat 1.8T with the same problem.
  • Options
    hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    Apparently it affects all 1.8ts including Audis.
    From Clubb5.com
    Re: 2 Ignition Coil packs on my 2002 1.8T Wagon a ... (pvander1) 4:05 PM 10/2/2002

...thats odd. Usually they fail within the first 10k miles. Its strange to have them last 28k miles, then fail. When coil packs are good, they generally last the life of the car or at-least 100k miles.
    They fail beacuse of insulation break-down. Instead of passing the high-voltage to the spark plug electrode inside the cylinder, the high voltage dischages through the bad coil insulation to the valve cover which results in no-spark in the cylinder
  • Options
    Dropped off my car and am driving a '03 Jetta GLS. Vocus......you get your car back yet?
  • Options
    Where do I start?

They told me it's the coils (duh). I called service this morning, and they told me I couldn't have a rental until they found out what the problem was with the car, and if it was in fact covered under warranty. I then called the dealership's sales manager, and went and picked up my rental car. The guy told me there is no definite order date for the coils, and that they are on nationwide backorder. He said it would be anywhere from one day to one week to one month. Wonderful.

I am now driving a 2002 Chevy Impala (poo brown) until they fix my car. It was either that, or a Chevy Metro.
  • Options
    at least its not a Kia
  • Options
    Though I may prefer a Kia over a Metro
  • Options
    what is their excuse??? for the coils i mean...
  • Options
    I wasn't about to drive a Metro on the Capital Beltway to get to work tomorrow. No way! Most people are going 75-80, so the Metro would not have made it. Also, I am 6'3 and not a small person either. :)

The Impala isn't that bad really. It brings back fond memories of cruising in the Bonneville (my mother had 2 of them) when I first started driving. I was 19 and pretty much loved by all my friends because I had use of the only car that could comfortably hold all of us. :) God, the road trips that car saw...

I did have a challenge though. I tried to make a U-turn in the middle of an intersection up the street from my house, which the Jetta can handle very easily. Not so in the Impala. I had to back up twice. :)
  • Options
    I thought that was kinda long about the coils as well, since Blueguy got his done in a day or so and so did you. They can keep the car as long as they want. I don't mind putting miles on the rental at all. It's not going to be easy finding a place to park that beast though. :(
  • Options
    no. what i am saying/asking is:

what is the REASON the coils went bad? and why are they replacing them with the same backordered part. if the part is on BACKORDER, that means it is happening to every VW. have you asked why? just wondering what the excuse is.....

you seem like such a harda$%, i thought you would have gotten to the bottom of this already. come on man, do some research and report back!!! :)
  • Options
    scorefoorscorefoor Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information about the Jetta. I really like the car, thats what makes it soo difficult of a decision about buying one. I am waiting to drive a Mazda6 with a V6 and manual transmission. On paper and the seat of the pants feeling I like the HP and torque of the 1.8T in the Jetta. The Mazda6 may be more like the V6 engine in the Jetta. We will see. If anyone else has a thought on purchasing a 03 Jetta let me know. Reliability for me is important, I've had my share of problems with American made cars, I can even get a GM discount. They just don't move me like the Jetta does. But if the car is in the shop alot I will have to eat some serious crow! Thanks Bill
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Please give us an update on how many weeks your Jetta has spent in the shop in just over a year of ownership. I've lost count, and I need to keep my running tally accurate as we go into "undetermined length of stay for minuscule problem No. 2".

Meade
  • Options
    chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    I don't think its so much of a miniscule problem for Paul this time, but it should be far easier to fix at least. All they need to do is pop in a new part and he is good to go, its just a matter of getting that part.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I was merely echoing (and agreeing with) some of your posts complaining about VW's seemingly nonchalant attitude about getting the simplest things right for its customers. I had the same experience with a 1980 Saab 900 GLi -- great, fun-to-drive, comfortable, safe car ... note I didn't use the word "reliable" ...

Meade