Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    version of a global platform.

The Opel/Vauxhall Vectra and Saab 9-3 are built on the same platform. A Holden will be as well. Probably GMDAT will find a use for the car.

Outside of the US and Canada, you may find eventually find some Malibus in Mexico and some of the South American nations. GM will not sell the Malibu elsewhere as it would compete with itself elsewhere.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Are Bu's and G6's being built in the same plant?

I couldn't care less where or what company makes a car. I hold no manufacturer in a positive light over any other company, automotive or an accounting firm. I don't care more if GM or Ford goes under vs. Cisco or Toyota or Symantec go under. X number of jobs lost anywhere is bad regardless of where. Those with marketable skills and work ethic prevail. I pick my budget and buy the car within the $5K window that fits my needs/desires best.
  • Options
    tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Can you give me a link to the board where I can discuss this issue?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Click on the link I gave you and check through the list -- usually there are several places where that conversation is occurring. If you don't see anything suitable, you can start a new one.

:)
  • Options
    G6 will be built in a plant in Michigan.
  • Options
    redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    My Husband and I build the Mazda6...we LOVE it!
    Our oldest daughter had to get out of a GM lease early...she chose a Malibu. Nice car! Rides well, built solid, and a lot of cool options. My hats off to the UAW workers that build this fine car!! I'm almost tempted to purchase a Malibu vs. a 6.

Happy Holidays All!
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The sales man I was with on my test drive really pushed 3 things

- features and options
    - Euro background and seats
    - V6 price and mileage vs. 4 banger Accords

I think the the features like remote starter, adjustable peddles, fold down seats and the Maxx version itself will be a strong suit for selling this car. Quality is there, no doubt. Most solid main stream American branded car I have ever seen.
  • Options
    triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    Malibu is built in KC, KS.

not KC, MO.

Don't want to give MO too much credit. ;)

Have any 04 owners out there figured out the speed sensitive delay on the wipers? It mentions it in the manual, but I haven't quite figured out whether or not my LS actually has the feature.

Speaking of car manuals...has anybody else noticed how dumbed down these things are getting? Maybe it's for legal reasons, but do I really need instructions in the manual on how to avoid a deer? I mean, if a deer leaps out in front of me, I'm not going to think to myself, "Hmm. Better look this one up!"
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Wow! Choosing a 6 over a Malibu. Are you sure??
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    At first I thought so too (2004 Cav) but then I realized that actually there is a good stuff in there, and if I had to ask my wife to read just one book on driving safety, it would be the manual (exclusive of the "guy useful" stuff like how to change lightbulbs and maintain the car).
  • Options
    I'm merely tempted by the Malibu. It IS American made...just like the SIX. Handling, Options and UAW made, makes me a perspective buyer. BUT I am swayed by the extended warranty Mazda/Ford offers on the 6.
    Still....the voices in my head are singin' ~~Apple Pie, Baseball and CHEVROLET!~~
  • Options
    Oh gosh, sorry. Quite frankly, I prefer KS over Mo. anytime.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    In my limited experience, it is better to have a good, wide dealer network than a smaller brand/extended warranty.

GM is building much better than it did before, according to the financial press and consumer survey people (including Consumer Reports).

You are more likely to find a good dealer, for service and warranty problems, with a GM product than with a "small market" seller like Mazda.

That having been said, I am a car enthusiast and have never been that practical myself. :-)

But for what its worth, I'd rather see someone choose a Mazda6 for its features than for its warranty.....
  • Options
    I think I'll also choose the SIX 'cause, making it (with confidence) is how my paycheck is earned.
    ALSO...PETPAD I totally agree with you. I fear what we're dealing with is a generation of latch key kids. They think it's vogue not to support Our Country, Economy, or Our Workers. I've been told the "Buy American" way of thinking is OLD and played out. I've advised my daughters if they buy foreign...they'll have to park on another street.
  • Options
    Well even if you buy a 6, it is built by Americans and is owned by Ford. Chevy is also American, obviously. I'm happy as long as the car is built by Americans. :)
  • Options
    cornellpremedcornellpremed Member Posts: 58
    "Speaking of car manuals...has anybody else noticed how dumbed down these things are getting? Maybe it's for legal reasons, but do I really need instructions in the manual on how to avoid a deer? I mean, if a deer leaps out in front of me, I'm not going to think to myself, "Hmm. Better look this one up!" "

I don't think it's a bad idea. The other night, I was driving on a rural road in the middle of the night, and I had two nearly disastrous encounters with deer. It's never happened before in my 5 years of driving. I could have actually used some tips beforehand on how to avoid deer.

Since then, I've become a staunch supporter of the War on Deer. Those things are public enemy #1.
  • Options
    Isn't Mazda mostly owned by Ford anyway?
  • Options
    thats what i said. its owned by ford..
  • Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I've seen it in an article somewhere that car manuals are written in language specifically designed to be understood by someone with grade 5 (if I remember the grade correctly) education. It was done to make sure that our less educated citizens knew what the manual was talking about

TRIED-N-TRU, any idea when GM will start producing H3? I hear not until 2005. It's going to be the real money maker for GM, if GM will build it as off-road capable as H2 and as refined and reliable as 4Runner/Pathfinder.
  • Options
    petpadpetpad Member Posts: 153
    Anyone (Canucks I assume) has seen the Malibu TV spots and the ads in MacLeans or other mags? It profiles the Malibu as "engineered" for the roads of Europe and they show the car roaming through old streets with cobblestones, German/French looking... anyone recognize the place? Of course this was shot in Quebec-City, not in Europe. In fact it was in "Vieux Québec", and "Place Royale". The Malibu is also seen driving in one of the arched entrance to Chateau Frontenac... I should know... I grew up there and went to school in that same exact neighbourhood. As an aside, if you see the ad, you may also notice that Place Royale was also used as a location shoot for the DiCaprio/Spielberg flick "Catch Me if You Can", simulating the old French village where Frank Abagnale was finally caught by police... dang I digress again!

Pet
  • Options
    stumack1stumack1 Member Posts: 56
    "Quality is there, no doubt. Most solid main stream American branded car I have ever seen"

You haven't been looking hard enough :)

I don't think GM is going to make any kind of dent in Camcord etc. sales, but they could have had a real hit if they had given the car some styling. Regrettably, this is one of the biggest dogs I've seen in years.
  • Options
    You're calling the Malibu LT a dog? 'Scuse me Sir ... I like it. It rides and handles well. Hell I'm thrilled my Daughter bought an American Made vehicle...I'd wait for the MAXX if I were to buy it. The body lines are sharp and reports I've read, it appears to be safe during the crash tests. Camcord LMAO! I'm so turned off by foreign....I can't see them on the road. Don't expect me to move over...I CAN'T SEE YOU!
  • Options
    Vancouver is constantly used by Hollywood to shoot scenes "from San Francisco" or "from Seattle." What esle is new :-)
  • Options
    gmcanada.com on its new Malibu page indicates that the Malibu received an award as the "Highest Ranked Entry Midsize Car in Initial Quality." But only if you click on the link will you learn that the award was received by 03 Malibu, a TOTALLY different car (which GM doesn't say, that it's a totally different car). I smell a rat here, folks. This is a very cheap trick
  • Options
    redc0ugar : I'd bet money stumack has not driven one. My impression of the car went way up once I got behind the wheel for 10 minutes.

petpad : That's a funny story. I thought it was Europe and I have been to Quebec City. I think it probably goes un noticed by most people outside Quebec though.
  • Options
    ...buy American too redc0ugar. I could never justify $26k Canadian for a 4-cyl. car with plastic hubcaps and few features when so much more is available from the Big 3 at that price point. I'm not discounting that the new Malibu is a decent car, but it's ugly, no two ways around it. I wouldn't pay to have that thing staring at me from my driveway! I think the Maxx (poor choice of name) body style may be the sales saviour and I think it will be interesting to see how the Dodge Magnum is received by the consumer also.
  • Options
    unless the unions will get even fatter contracts, hehehe
  • Options
    They are advertising 4 banger Malibus for C$22K and change in the paper. Not sure where you are getting $26K?
  • Options
    ..was for Accord or Camry. That's what I was saying, there are a lot of better equipped vehicles at that price point, and the Big 3 choices are substantially less (the 4-cyl. Sebring is down around $19k now and even the 2.7L Intrepid is barely over $20k).
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    When people think that a car will not sell simply from it's looks, forget that they don't have a universal opinion and looks are subjective.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    LOOKS IS STILL AT LEAST HALF THE DEAL.
  • Options
    Whatever, one person's opinion isn't the whole globe. And if looks are 50% of sales, why do boring, bland cars rule the sales charts?
  • Options
    ...isn't just boring/bland - the '03 certianly was. The '04 is just a bad piece of design work. My opinion, yes, but I'm not alone here.
  • Options
    It's not an Aztec nor a Pacer, it looks fine to me and a few others. Certainly can't please everyone.

It's selling to expectations and has gotten good reviews. It isn't meant for sports car drivers or luxury car owners.
  • Options
    Saab 93 - luxury
    Chev Malibu - value, everyday practicality
    Pontiac G6 - sport sedan for those who want looks and performance.

Sounds like a better idea than Honda trying to please everyone with Accord.
  • Options
    If a person doesn't like the Accord, they go to Acura. mmHmm
  • Options
    I would think that is an overstated proposition.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    "Sounds like a better idea than Honda trying to please everyone with Accord."

are you sure.....Honda sells 400,000+ per annum. How is that bad?

9/3 + bu + G6 won't come close.

"The '04 is just a bad piece of design work. My opinion, yes, but I'm not alone here."

certainly not alone....The Vectra skin is extremely likable, yet the bu skin is blocky and the front end is killer guppy. The Vectra skin should have been used intact.
  • Options
    "9/3 + bu + G6 won't come close"

No not initially it certainly won't. Honda sales seem to be slipping though. Takes a long time to build to 400K of anything.
  • Options
    but Bu sales arent that strong. Stop implying that it's the best selling midsize on the market when its not..
  • Options
    Where am I implying the Malibu is the best selling car???

Bu sales are going well from what I have seen and read here on the board from the guy who works at the plant that makes them.
  • Options
    you have said Bu sales are not strong a couple of times and each time you are wrong.

Just as GM got production to speed, it has had to add overtime shifts at the new 'Bu plant. And this only in the car's second month on the market.

9/3 + Bu + G6 will in fact come close to Honda. And the fortunate buyers will at have variety to enjoy with their cars.

And the 9-3 wagons and convertibles. Superb! They will be the cream of fwd cars.
  • Options
    enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    The new Malibu is likely the best domestic GM car in more than 20 years. It's probably not going to persuade many Camry or Accord buyers out of their decisions, but it may steal some sales from the Altima - and probably more from the Hyundai Sonata/Kia Optima, Mitsubishi Galant, and other smaller brands. In fact, given the pricing, it may put up a roadblock in Hyundai's drive to move itself upmarket - the Malibu is easily a better car than Hyundai's similar-size offering (the XG) and it's priced very competitively, as well.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    If you compare those to the accord, should you not add the TSX and TL to the accord #'s? The 9-3 is basically priced like the TL/TSX depending on Linear/Arc/Aero.
  • Options
    Although I think the G6 will be more the straight up TSX competitor. The TSX comes with some pretty loud styling.
  • Options
    I think the TSX is very conservative...it's really just the European market Accord with a different name. We keep hearing about high-horsepower and convertible G6's, but the reality is that most of the production will be plain, moderately priced versions with Ecotech 4's occupying the same market place they have now, competing against the Sebring, Taurus, etc. The current GA is a very big seller here in Canada. It's agressively priced and plays very much the same "vanilla" mid-size role that the Camry does in the US.
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I've been browsing around the Chevrolet Malibu website, and I can't find any reference to the roadside assistance that they used to offer during the warranty period. Have they dumped it? (I think Ford still offers it).
  • Options
    brad898brad898 Member Posts: 7
    First post; bit shy, sorry. Finally got the courage up. Want a new Bu, but hate to say it, but the Hyundai Sonata looks mighty enticing.

Factory orders don't mean much. Just means they're stocking the lots. In the hopes (mine) that the rebates will follow....
  • Options
    GM is changing what it does with Chevy and Pontiac. Chevy will now become its main value brand. Pontiac is being positioned upward.

I think the popularity of the GA in Canada is one reason why Canada Pontiac will get its own version of the Cobalt, while US Pontiac will not. The Cobalt/Pursuit are more modern versions of the base GA.
  • Options
    Road side comes with all GM cars and trucks.

brad898 : Sonata is a pretty nice car but Korean cars get no respect and hence worse resale than U.S. brands. Further, I still don't trust Hyundia. I know too many people who won't buy again.
This discussion has been closed.