Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    In order for the cars ventilation system to be able to "defog" the windshield, the AC compressor is often engaged. The humid air from the outside is passed over the cooling coil on the AC system and this "dehumidifies" the incoming air. This way, dry air (or at least "dryer" air) can be used to blow across the windshield to "defog" it. I am not sure if it is an automatic feature in the MPV or if there is some sort of humidistat located in the vent system that determines if the AC compressor is required to do the job. I have not had to run the "defogger" yet on my car so I am not aware how it works.

Just my $.02
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Thanks Alexv1n.

Here's the quote from the Protege board:

>>The A/C turns on whenever you select:

Windshield
    Front vents/Feet
    Feet Only<<

I can understand the defrost mode engaging the A/C, although even in that area I would prefer complete control to decide when and if I need the A/C compressor engaged.

The way the Pro is set up is just silly, IMHO. Why not just engage the A/C in all situations? Their more than half way there now.
  • Options
    danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    The a/c in the MPV does not automatically come on. You need to specifically turn it on--and you can if you want to when defogging.

Bean--600 yards and the remote fob works? Wow! Mine only works out to 20 or 30 yards. I wonder why yours has such a long range? Super battery in it or sumpin'? But glad it worked for you. Actually, the MPV has enough stuff in it compared to the Sienna that you ought to be able to deflect any deriding from fil. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be able to resist that. But one does need to keep peace in the family. :<)
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I'll have to try it later, but I'm pretty sure that the A/C compressor runs when the mode is set to defrost and the fan speed is set >0. The A/C light does not necessarily indicate that it is on, but if you listen carefully as you change the mode from vent that the A/C compressor engages.

Maybe somebody with lots of time on their hands like Javadoc can verify this.
  • Options
    alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    No, A/C does not work when the air is in defrost mode. The reason I know that I happened to notice it on several occasions on a really rainy day that until I turn on A/C manually the windows fog like crazy... even when the air blows on the windshield.
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I'm on it... ;)
  • Options
    That didn't take long...

Okay, the A/C is used when you use the Defroster/Defogger. According to what I found, if your windshield doesn't defog, then the first step to trouble shoot it is to check to make sure the A/C system is working properly. Then, check the A/C fuse to make sure it's not blown. If the A/C system weren't used, the service manual wouldn't have a technician checking the A/C if the defroster were malfunctioning.

See, the most efficient way to defog the windows is to dry the cabin air, which is accomplished by using conditioned air.

So, I stand by my statement that A/C is used when you activate the Defosters. :)

/J
  • Options
    gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    Something does not make sense... My MPV ES has 17 inch alloys yet my daughters MPV from last year has 15 inch rims... from my calculations, my tires are more then 1 1/2 inches higher then hers yet they both seem to have the speedo head... do you think my van is going faster then my speedo indicates... I could understand 1/2 inch but the higher tire might get me a ticket with out me knowing it.

Gampa.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    hmmm, did you measure the sidewalls? I bet you have lower profile tires.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    For what it's worth, I've noticed that our MPV drives differently when the A/C is on than when it is off. When the defroster is on (and A/C off), the van drives just like it does when the A/C is on. That leads me to believe that the compressor is running when the defroster is on.
  • Options
    canielcaniel Member Posts: 28
    The AC compressor DOES definitely engage when you place the dial at winshield defrost. The AC light does not come on - unless you push it on - but the AC certainly comes on! Put your hand up there and feel how cold it is - if you turn the temp dial to blue. Perhaps it is different on Canadian vans, but I would think it is the same for all MPV N American vans. Cheers.
  • Options
    kczmudzinkczmudzin Member Posts: 39
    This is an old feature. My '96 Subaru has it. Since it's much smaller than MPV it gets very cold very quickly when on defrost.

Speaking of driving differently when A/C is on, my Subaru will disengage the A/C when accelerating. This way more power is used to accelerate. When the desired speed is reached the A/C re-engages.
  • Options
    Speedo calibration is done via the Powertrain Control Module. With electronic speed sensors in the transmissions, cables are a thing of the past and the proper ratios for the tire size can be coded electronically. Some cars can even be re-programmed by the dealer for other tire sizes.
  • Options
    rlorrlor Member Posts: 12
    I am currently in negotiations for a silver 2002 ES with CD-changer, fog lights, roof rack, 4-seasons package, mud guards and rear bumper step plate. I think I am down to $200 over invoice before taking into account the $2,000 rebate (so somewhere around $24,900). I think I can go a little lower. Anyway, I have a couple of questions? First, does that price neighborhood seem reasonable? Second, has anyone heard of any reason besides the DVD system to wait for 2003 (like no mor sulfur smell, for example)? And third, has anybody heard whether the new DVD system can be installed in the 2002? As a several-months long lurker on this board, I'd appreciate any help.
  • Options
    sd1228sd1228 Member Posts: 46
    rlor,
    Your price (200$ over invoice) - 2K rebate seems
    in the right neighborhood. People have paid
    anywhere invoice +/- 300 $ based on market they
    are in.

Another question for everybody,
    I read somewhere that MPV has "learning" transmission. Is it just marketing BS or it has
    some truth to it ?
    Also, can somebody explain in mechanical
    engineering terms as to what it means.
    Thanks
  • Options
    evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Most cars have this feature now. I think the A/C off switch is under the gas pedal underneath the floor mat.

:)

Actually it's just a couple lines of code in the car's computer that disengages the A/C clutch whenever the throttle position sensor reaches a certain point. The A/C clutch is between the "fan belt" and the A/C compressor--when it's engaged, the compressor turns and the air gets colder, when it's disengaged, the compressor doesn't turn, but there's less load on the belt, which helps out fuel economy.

I have noticed it on certain occasions, but usually when I hit the gas that hard, the *last* think I'm concerned about is the A/C.

-Dave
  • Options
    they used to sell kits that were just that: add-on cut-out switches that one could mount under the accelerator pedal.
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Shucks, y'all. I live in Houston and the A/C is ALWAYS on - even when I'm not driving it .

Anyone need water from this tropical storm by the way? Please!
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I have more than enough of this water. we ought to bottle it and send it to phoenix lol.

Chris
    S/L, TX
  • Options
    beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Sorry to hear about your water woes :( Geez ... first Allison, now Fay ... oh well, at least 'ol Red is staying pretty clean lately, huh? Cheer up pal, tropical disturbances are a great excuse for martini parties! Just park the MPV in the garage and relax!
  • Options
    scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    I think it's also stated in the owner's manual.
  • Options
    cgcolecgcole Member Posts: 6
    According to Edmunds, the $2000 cash rebate ended Sept. 3 and now they are only offering the 0% financing on the 2002 MPV. Is this true, or is the $2k rebate still on the table? I wanted to purchase in the next week or two and prefer the rebate to the financing. Anyone in the midst of negotiations?
  • Options
    Just got back from my second trip out to wonderful Cleveland, Ohio... very nice, clean city,... Over the 400 miles... with about 75% highway/25% city, I averaged about 25.22 MPG. Had the A/C on about 1/3 of the time so that didn't help my average... If this transmission is adaptive, I feel it is geared towards economy... for when I take my foot of the gas pedal, I see the RPM's start to drop... and below 35MPH the RPM's drop to Idle of 700.

Gampa
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    I was in my dealer on 9/4/02 trying to nail down a 02 LX. The $2,000 was still in place. I'm not having success in unloading my 97 Villager, so I'm still a week or two away. My sales rep, who I trust, said to come back in a week or two and the $ will still be there. They have plenty of 02's remaining. I think some people are waiting for the 03's as they will have $1250.00 cash back or 3.9% up to 60 months plus the new model year.

Anyone know how the 03 goes from 24mpg to 25mpg on the highway? Gearing?

Regards,
    Mark.
  • Options
    Glideslopes,

Where did you hear the EPA estimated highway mileage increased from 24mpg to 25mpg? If true, my best guess would be a revised intake.
  • Options
    I would be willing to bet the $2,000 rebate is still in affect, assuming it has not increased. Does anyone know when the 03's are scheduled to hit the lots? January perhaps?
  • Options
    My dealer has a 03 ES loaded to the gill on their lot.
    MSRP is $29,996. DVD Entertainment system, leather, everything....

EPA is 18 City 25 Highway.

Regards,
    Mark.

p.s. The Exhaust Tip does look sharp. However, I think the Entertainment System definitely looks like an add on item (installed at port of entry.) Seems out of place in a big way sticking out of the middle of the ceiling the way it does..
  • Options
    cheapdadcheapdad Member Posts: 5
    Glideslopes (or anyone else), can you verify the incentive information for the 2003s? The local dealers I have asked about that topic, say they know nothing about it (not sure they would tell me as there are plenty of 2002s left on the lot (and even a couple of 2001s listed as new) they need to get rid of). Any idea when the incentives would start taking effect as the 2003s are already on the lot at a couple of my local dealers?

I get S-plan through my employer and would much rather have 2003 with >=$1000 back then a 2002 with $2000 back as rebate.

Thanks,
    Jason
  • Options
    I went and test drove the MPV on saturday. I have to say I was very impressed. My wife who is an SUV lover and thinks she is too young for a mini van also liked it alot. It has all the room we need and is quick off the line. It is also pretty quiet. Hopefully in the next week or so I will join the MPV family. I have a question is the blue available with the beige interior in 2002 or 03, Also can some one verify the 1250 on 2003 I will definately get one of those if it is true.
  • Options
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for the 4-set of wind deflector add on for my 2002 MPV... I see Ventshield has the 2-set, but I would like them on all four windows.

Gampa
  • Options
    Gampa - give this site a try

weatherflectors
  • Options
    danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Check out the MazdaUSA.com website page at

http://www.mazdausa.com/zero_percent/default.asp?vehicle=&zip=&did=&state=

it looks like the 0% is still available through the end of September, but there is no mention that I saw of a rebate option.

dan

• Options
    steven2bsteven2b Member Posts: 2
    I really like this minivan...and I don't have kids. The vehicle is very well behaved at highway speeds and is as comfortable as my Lazy Boy. The operable back seat windows are a real winner. When the A/C is on it's coldest setting, the cabin can get really cold... even in Georgia's 90+ temps. I'm getting really tired of everyone in my office wanting ME to drive to lunch because "your mini van is sooooo cool and comfortable." :-)

Two real problems though.
    The gear selector blocks the center console and, more often than not, I turn on the wipers instead of shifting into drive or reverse. Embarrassing when driving to lunch.
    When slowing down but not actually stopping, like in stop and go traffic, the transmission shifts from 5th to 2nd gear and creates a violent jarring. My check engine light comes on and the dealership replaces the transmission module. It runs GREAT for a couple of weeks and then the cycle starts over again.

My MPV is bright white with dark windows and a black roof rack. I added a black pin-stripe so that it wouldn't look so tall. That made a huge difference in the look of the vehicle. It stands out in a crowd and doesn't look so much like a "grocery getter."
  • Options
    cheapdadcheapdad Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2002 MPV and chose the 0% financing. My dealer stated they could have gotten the $2000 rebate on the 2002 if I had elected that option instead.
  • Options
    through the end of September according to Carsdirect.com.

http://www.carsdirect.com/researchcenter/incentives_search

• Options
    Steven2b,

My next move would be to take it to a different dealer for diagnosis. Hopefully it's no more than a bad sensor, loose connection, or something simple in the trans. Or perhaps it's something related to the gear selector itself.
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Just finished 250 mile trip, 95% highway at 62-64 mph, ac about 1/3 time...

26.0 mpg I am impressed, I was expecting about 23-24....this after 2100 miles on the van.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Can someone please explain how after years since its redo,the current version of the Odyssey still has such an incredible demand? This is perhaps one of the most remarkable marketing stories of the last 30 years. From the moment they came out,people have waited in lines to buy them at inflated prices. This sometimes happens with a very unique vehicle,and even then it lasts no more than a year or so. The Ody is not unique,a nice dependable van yes,a leader in its class yes, but nothing sepectacular. The resale values alone are higher than almost any other vehicle you can buy today regardless of price. That consumers are still waiting for them and still paying more than sticker is truly a wonder. Buyers are actually ready to pay as much for a one year old model as a new one would cost. And now Honda has two SUV's doing almost the same thing. Marketing genius I tell you. The dealers are a PITA to deal with, but from a sales/marketing standpoint what Honda has done is unbelievable.
  • Options
    My opinion quite simply is that the Ody sells due to it's resale vale and it's name. Most of the resale is from the name. People who are informed know that other quality choices exist. I'd wager less than 5 in 10 owners actually ever have visited Edmunds.com to see that it is not infallible.

Also do not underestimate the "Biff and Buffy" factor on this vehicle. A LOT of people own it because it is the van of choice among those who need to be like others in order to be someone.

Anyway, just MO. :)

Regards,
    Mark.
  • Options
    There is definate me too thing going on with the oddessy. I always root for the little guy so I hate what is going on with the oddessy. I tried to buy a TL instead of the car I currently drive but was disgusted with the salesman attitude, low ball trade and etc. That is why I like the MPV while a little smaller it can match up nearly feature for feature (minus nav) and is on actual selling price 5-7k cheaper. It is really a wash in the end. yeah your neighbor might get 65% of msrp back when he trades in in three years and you might get 45% but he paid 20% more up front. I do not like accords and camrys for the same reason there is just this attitude by the people who buy and sell them that irks me. I rather drive something with a little soul like the 300m/passat or the mpv as compared with the tl/accord/camry or oddy. and while I might have a few more trips to the dealer the trip home might be just a tad more enjoyable.

zoom zoom
  • Options
    I agree, it's herd mentality. If it's popular, it must be good. Why on earth do the DC vans sell so well? It's known that they're made like crud. The Honda is not better, really. That doesn't keep the masses from buying them.

"Oh, you bought a Honda van." Honda's sitting on the reputation they made a decade ago, but not building vehicles to this standard. Look at the cheapening of the Civic, which no longer has the superior double wishbone suspension and now rides on cheaper mac-struts. The Ody has tranny and electronics issues, yet is sells... b/c it's a Honda. Not that it's a bad van, it's just not up to Honda's reputation, imo.

Moo!
  • Options
    Rutger,

...is the bottom line! Most people prefer larger vans and Honda can't produce.

I also think price fixing, defect cover-ups, and the almighty Consumer Reports all play a huge role in the Big-O's success.
  • Options
    Some things never change .... perhaps one should quit torturing himself and go join the herd :p
  • Options
    tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    Yeah, and all those who are bashing the MPV in those articles really have MPV envy.

They love the van sooooo much, but then wonder what their friends would think if they had a mini-van, so as a defense mechanism, they bash the MPV.

I don't have to belittle another consumer's choice to feel I made the right one.

Even if I do think they chose an inferior van ;)

TB
  • Options
    Beach, I will not... Check you mail chum.

LOL, Tboner!
  • Options
    prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    I don't think most people do a lot of research when they buy a new vehicle at all. Obviously people frequenting this board do, but this is a tiny minority. In a sense it's good, because it allowed us to get a great van for less money than if it were a runaway success. I don't think Mazda dealers would be any better than the Honda ones if they had people lining up at their door wanting to buy any MPV available.
  • Options
    beachnut,

I certainly hope you don't leave your gum in the carpet of your Oddy?

Regards,
    Mark. : )

p.s. Just what were you doing reading the MPV board anyway? Come on, be honest, deep down inside honest. : )
  • Options
    you're kidding, right? image I just couldn't tell.

Steve, 90 today? Wow, lucky!
  • Options
    tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    Because he drives a 2001 MPV, silly ;)
    It's true, check his profile.

TB
    All 4 Fun and Fun 4 All
  • Options
    ... first let me say "Congratulations!". You've made a wise decision buying what I condsider the best looking and most fun to drive mini of them all. Secondly, Edmund's has many wonderful tools available here in the TH, like the user profile - give them a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised ;-) In all fairness though, I suppose it could have been easy to misinterpret my TIC comment aimed at rutger, plus the fact that I've haven't been posting here too much lately. Geez, I feel like a prodigal son - sorry Steve!