Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    invoicepleaseinvoiceplease Member Posts: 3
    Strange, went to carmax this morning, and their price was $100 less than I was offered at the dealer in RR. Still wasn't bad, no problem there.

I hope you didn't get held up too badly on the Odyssey, because after calling a dozen dealerships today, I found three that had the EXACT model and color choice I was interested in available, one of which wanted $600 more than Classic, after telling me that since I lived in a "high-demand" area they knew they could charge more for it. Bye, thanks.

The other two however offered prices over the phone $1000 *under* the "take it or leave it price" from Classic. I finally settled on a dealer that is about a half hour from my home, for $1000 over invoice, which is about the best I think can be accomplished for this car, especially with the DVD and NAV. The salesperson was very informative, helpful, and in general 1000% more pleasant to work with than the day before in RR.

One dealer told me that they charge full MSRP for the touring model with those options, another $1000 under invoice, the best "first offer over the phone" from an internet sales guy in Centex, Dallas, San Antonio or Houston was $1400 over invoice. To refresh, Classic wanted $3400, and acted like I was a criminal when the came down to $2400 over invoice. So, I saved $1400 over that, *AND* do not have to wait 4-6 weeks for the car to show up and worry about them hassling me on the trade-in value when the time comes.

Anyway, hope others will at least be helped by this.
  • Options
    invoicepleaseinvoiceplease Member Posts: 3
    Oh, I did give them the spare key, with nothing on it but the alarm fob and the door key. Either way, as soon as they pulled that, no deal was going to ever happen. If it had gone on any longer, it would have gotten ugly. That's the kind of thing there should be a law against.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I wouldn't be at all concerned about buying out of town - dealers are paid by Honda for warranty work and their service departments don't care where it was purchased.

If you can buy an EX-L R&N at $500 over invoice, you should do so as it is the most difficult model to get.

There are plenty of competitive dealers in Ohio, especially in the NE area. There have been many posts attesting to good deals at Jack Matia in Elyria, Jay in Cleveland, Park in Akron, and College Hills in Wooster to name only a few.

I bought my Touring R&N at Hugh White in my hometown of Columbus in February for invoice and they included $400 in accessories at that price.
  • Options
    dkb2dkb2 Member Posts: 8
    cccompson,

Thank you for the leads. It looks like we would have to order an EX-L R&N at this point to get the price that I was quoted. Or, we could start over with the negotiations and try to get a Touring R&N. We have a trade-in so I was trying to stay closer to home instead of driving it all over the country. I think we will try to sell it ourselves since it seems like dealers use that to massage their profit. I am just trying to decide if the Touring is really worth the $4000 more than the EX-L R&N. We aren't pressed for a vehicle to drive although it would be nice to have a minivan sooner than later to haul the three kids around in. Do you think the Touring is worth the extra$$$?
  • Options
    As I recall, the street price premium for a Touring R&N was about $3600 more than an EX-L R&N in my case and it was a very close call. I am satisfied with my choice. You just have to compare features and prices and decide if it is worth it to you.

Agree that it is difficult to trade long distance and it gets harder the older your trade is. You might want to check dealer internet sites for inventory and just see what's out there before ordering. Again though, even if ordered, $500 over invoice on an EX-L R&N is a very good price.
  • Options
    vsgvsgvsgvsg Member Posts: 1
    On Monday I bought our Odyssey EXL NAV & RES from Honda Cars of Rock Hill, SC.

In mid March I emailed dealers I found on honda.com asking for their best out of the door price. Sent 20 emails, got 15 responses. Unfortunately, no one had our color (Sage Brush/Olive) in stock

Honda Cars of Rock Hill agreed to beat the lowest quote I got. They've promised delivery on April 11 and the car was on their lot at that day.

I'd highly recommend internet manager at Honda Cars of Rock Hill. She was very professional and patiently waited while I was checking the car. Paperwork was done while I test-drove the car, so I did not have to wait for anyone.

Price: $31,799
    Doc fee: $399
    Tag&&Title: $56

Total (doc plus profit) $837 over invoice.
  • Options
    tom25tom25 Member Posts: 17
    I want to buy EX-L in Houston, TX. Can somebody post his recent buying price and dealership?

What is the formula for TTL?

Thanks,
  • Options
    orange1orange1 Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the info. I have been on vacation and haven't been engaged for a while.
  • Options
    knowmadicsoulknowmadicsoul Member Posts: 3
    Midwest deal:

I received an internet quote from Grand Honda for an EX-L RES for $29,900. Honda of Lisle was $29,003 and $1500 for DVD.
    Carrs Honda was willing to do invoice +100 for an EX.

However, we ended up buying an EX with a dealer installed DVD from Rosen Honda in Gurnee. (Closer to home, color we liked, really nice folks to work with.) We paid invoice +100 for the EX, $1500 for DVD. The DVD screen is larger than stock, is integrated into the car stereo and has two wireless headsets and a remote. It appears you need to go through Internet with Rosen to get the "no haggle" price.

The Ody is awesome!

Good luck!
  • Options
    b_radb_rad Member Posts: 38
    When I was searching in the Houston area, The best price I found was in Conroe. I do not have a breakdown but it came out to $30,273 drive out. I ended up buying in Waco because it was closer to Austin and I save a few hundred more.

I found that when I was shopping around, I got better results by phone. Email was more trouble than it was worth and the guys pretty much all come in with the same price if they will quote you at all.

Talk to the salesman a little before you start talking price. Make a list of a few questions just to break the ice. if you feel comfortable with him then start talking price. If not, hang up and call back in a few minutes. Most likely you will end up talking to someone else. I have spoken to two different salesman at the same dealership and the price difference has been as much as $800.00. You can cover a lot more ground on the phone. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    tweet651983tweet651983 Member Posts: 32
    I have found a dealer with 2 leftover 2004 EX's, both with less than 100 miles. I believe invoice is $25,448, can anyone recommend where I should start negotiations? I was thinking of offering $25,000 + TTL. Comments?
  • Options
    They will soon be considered 2 years old. I would start much lower than that. It cost the dealer money each month to keep them on the floor plan. I would also contact Honda and see if they qualify for any incentives like low interest financing.

You might start at $24,000 and see where they go from there. Be patient. There are not a lot of buyers like yourself that are willing to buy a 2 year old car at a new car price. The honda dealer network is huge and if there were other buyers out there they would have been long gone by now.

Good luck!! I have two friends with '04s and they really like them.
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Are you kidding? I wouldn't start anywhere near new-car invoice. A 2004 Odyssey is a used car, no matter what anyone tells you. You should check internet used car values with mileage under 10K, as well as call your insurance agent and ask how much you'd get if the vehicle were totaled the second you drive it off the lot.

If I remember correctly, '04's were selling for $1,000 under invoice around the time the '05 model was introduced--and that was nine months ago. You should be able to do much better than that now. Offer him $22,500. Sounds like this dealer wants to hold on to these two vans until they qualify for classic plates.....
  • Options
    holysmoke36holysmoke36 Member Posts: 1
    well I'm a cheap guy, always pay cash for cars, I hate loans on depreciating items.

I paid $6,800 cash today for a 2000 Honda Odyssey with 107k.

It drove nice and was a 1 owner vehicle. Guy was very nice and he bought it at a local dealer in 2000.

I wish it could have been under 100k for tranny warranty but the tranny seems fine and I immediately did a complete tranny fluid exchange on it.

Kelly Blue Book private party value was $9,600 so I did good I think.

I love avoiding the ripoff $599 dealer fees just to buy a car from the crooks.

best of all no car payment.
  • Options
    imapeachimapeach Member Posts: 1
    This is just a post of my experience buying an Odyssey this past weekend. Saturday (April 16th) I bought a Honda EX-L with navi and xm, leather, etc. - pretty much everything except what only comes on the Touring, and it just didn't seem worth the extra 4 grand. Just as an FYI, a few years back, I was the top selling car salesmen at two different dealerships before I couldn't take the ethics any more and bailed out/went back to school. The last new car I bought (a Ford/Harley F-150) is now two years old, and it has appreciated from what I paid.

First, for this $35,000 van, I paid just over $30,000 which was below their invoice went into their holdback, plus gave them nothing for their ADM (added dealer markup/appearance package/undercoating/whatever you want to call it). I was actually surprised I was able to do this on a premium vehicle like the Odyssey with Nav. Those nav, or RN's as the Honda dealerships call them, are vehicles which they don't have to mark down because they will sell regardless. But one has to read the market if they wan to get a good deal on such a vehicle.

The weather Saturday was absolutely gorgeous here in Mobile, and there were few people out buying cars. Everyone was in their yard or at the beach/elsewhere. Every dealership we wen to was dead, and the Honda Dealership, a very reputable one too, was empty. I was the last deal of the day and it was the 4th car they sold (I would estimate that a dealership like this could easily sell 40-50 cars on a Saturday). You have to read the day, or be willing to wait. I had a friend make an offer (has to be within tolerances now like ~invoice) and being it was not a bad day, left without buying. 3 weeks later she got a call, when they were having a horrible Saturday, and bought at the price she left over 3 weeks before.

About scams, tricks, etc. There are still many dealerships who play dirty. If you find you are at one - leave immediately. It is not worth it. There are a few good ones in every town, and just limit yourself to them. One very good sign to leave is the process seaming lethargic. Thats an indicator of one of two things, if not both. They are stalling you on purpose because statistically you are more likely to buy something the more "time" you have invested in it. Or, it might be that they are just really really busy, which means they don't have to make a great deal for you. Remember, the salesmen are to build value in them, the dealer, and the car. But it's the sales manager who lets it go too cheap. If they are selling 100 cars that day, why give one away to you?

The business is like any commissioned sales, but because the salesmen's commission is so heavily dependant on the profit, not the overall cost, it's inherently sleezy. The salesman's job is to get you to emotionally connected to the purchase so that he/she can keep the price (his profit) as high as possible. Extremely few people (and I am not one of them) do not buy new cars without emotion playing a big part. This is ok, but it cannot be the captain of your decision making or you will be screwed.

Don't mention your trade (dont bring it) until you've bargained your best price. It is the only way to know the ACV (actual cash value).* Also, they'll NEVER have your keys during bargaining, and you will HAVE to leave the environment and return with the trade. This forces a situation of being able to think about the purchase away from the dealership.

*First, the dealership will *NEVER* pay you a lot for your trade. If it is not worth a grand or two to sell your own car, trade it in, but don't trade it expecting a lot. No matter how much you trade it for on paper, the ACV is what it is, and it won't be as much as you'd like it to be. Most people who this they did well on their trade have no idea what the true ACV on it was.

Now, if your familiar with what your ACV is already, you can wait for your final bargaining when you bring in the trade, but always get a price before leaving, even if it is not heavily bargained for. Oftentimes if a person is clearly leaving no matter what, the sales manager will through out a no profit price (but not usually on a premium vehicle - an accord or civic usually in the case of a Honda dealership) just so that the next dealership will scoff at the number you start off with and tell you to go back where you came from, or they don't make any money either. Why would the 1st dealer want you to come back in this case? Because if you did, there is a 90% chance you'll buy from them, and at more than the price they quoted you.

I have a ton more thoughts on the subject - but I have spent too much time on the email as it is. I hope this helps someone.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I can see why you are no longer in the business. If I worked in a store like yours I would have left too.

You wouldn't fool me or most veterans with your "hidden trade" either. We can smell one everytime. Hidden or not, the value doesn't change.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I agree. I've bought and sold lots of cars over the years, and traded some as well. Some folks claim to never negotiate the price of the trade before getting the price of the new car. Frankly I don't care because I usually have a number in my head for exactly what I'm going to pay out-the-door. I don't care how ya'll twist the numbers just so it's close to mine we'll all be happy.

I'm going to meet a dealer tonight. I'm probably going to trade my '02 Tahoe (tax savings are significant) and based on values I've researched my number is around $10,000. That should leave about $500-$700 on the table above invoice depending how they work it. I'm not going to drive a couple hours to save that money where I know I can buy for invoice with some haggling. I have a relationship with these guys and their service is good, facility is convenient. They window price the Odyssey at $1,000 over invoice so it shouldn't be a big deal. Last time I bought a Toyota from them (toyota/honda dealer) it was $200 over invoice without any effort. Works for me, my time's more valuable than that to avoid driving to some big-city pain-in-the-neck dealer.
  • Options
    Not to be rude..., but why did you waste your time posting a message at all? And it's not a Toyota so it would surprise me if they get even close to $200 over invoice.
    What's your point? What stone is this dealership under so everyone can get a hassle-free deal?
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Gee, considering it's quite common on here to see folks getting them for invoice in the midwest.....I don't think what I'm looking for is anything special. Based on posts here and reading the newspapers, they appear to sell for invoice or close to it in the nearest metro. I've had bad experiences with dealers there, so I'll pay a little more for a hassle-free transaction.

Besides, the jist of my post was dealing with how to handle trades. I've bought/sold over 30 new vehicles in the last 10 years between personal/business and thought my experience might be valuable to someone. With that much experience, I generally know where the good dealers are. I'll post the dealer I'm buying from after I complete the transaction in case anyone else wants to learn of a good dealership (assuming nothings changed in the last year). If it didn't help you, why bother wasting your time responding??
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's check the hostility, please. If you don't like someone else's post, you aren't obligated to read it.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    briwill21briwill21 Member Posts: 7
    Picked up my Odyssey today at a Charlotte area dealer. $31,506 + tax/title and a processing fee of $359. Note that I ordered this pre-price increase.
  • Options
    nanjnanj Member Posts: 6
    My husband and I just purchased our Touring with Navigation and RES on Saturday from Hugh White Honda in Columbus, Ohio. It was smooth, up-front deal at what we considered a great price. In our hometown of Indianapolis, the Tourings are going at sticker plus "free" accessories so we are very satisfied.

From the paperwork we signed:
    Vehicle: $36767.00
    Included in that price: splash guards, all-season mats, cargo tray, cross bars for roof rack, woodgrain-look trim for dash and door panels.
    Document fees: $125
    Honda Care extended warranty: 7 years/100,000 miles/$0 ded $1150.00

All the pre-purchase negotiations were done over the phone with the internet manager by me (a woman - I wanted to do this by myself). When we arrived at the dealer, the car was waiting for us. After looking it over, we went to the finance manager's office to complete the sale. The finance manager offered us the Honda Care Warranty for $1350 (with lesser terms than we ended up getting). I told her about the pricing at College Hills Honda website, she did some looking in her books and computer, then said, "If they can offer it at that price, then so can we."

That was the full extent of the negotiations. It was an incredible car buying experience. The internet and sites like Edmunds have changed the ways of doing business for those willing to do their homework.

Note: I have no personal/business tie-in with this dealership. I just believe that a company that does a good job should be rewarded with favorable recommendations.
  • Options
    I just believe that a company that does a good job should be rewarded with favorable recommendations.

We do too! That's why we encourage people to name the dealership, city & state, especially when they've had a good experience. Thanks so much for sharing yours, and I hope you really enjoy your new Odyssey. Be sure to stop by our Odyssey Owners Club when you get a chance.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    romainelettuceromainelettuce Member Posts: 3
    dlkb2,

What dealership did you find in the Midwest that was willing to sell you an EX-L R&N for $500 over invoice? I'm willing to wait for an ordered vehicle but having a hard time finding a midwest dealer willing to sell at that price.

Also was the contact at the dealer just a random saleperson or the internet salesfolks?

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    cptcircumspectcptcircumspect Member Posts: 6
    I have been lurking for a few days reading all these valuable posts about buying experiences. Many thanks to those of you who took the time to report your experiences.

I am specifically interested in anyone who has had a good buying experience in the Dallas - Ft. Worth area. I have seen posts for Bankston (the most convenient to me) and David McDavid but that appears to be it. If someone has blanketed the area Honda dealers in a quest for a Honda Odyssey I'd love to know which dealers were giving the best price and service. Just a bullet point list would be splendid.

The Edmonds TMV service reports that EX-L R&N Odysseys are going for just under MSRP. Hard to believe given all the posts I see here for prices less than $1000 over invoice. Maybe it’s just that all the posters here are a bit more aggressive on the negotiating than the avg. Odyssey buyer.

Anyone care to list the better DFW Honda dealers?
  • Options
    etaeta Member Posts: 33
    If you're looking for an EX-L N/R in the DFW area then be prepared to wait or pay close to MSRP. You might want to go back a couple months to look at my earlier posts...

As I mentioned earlier, I contacted a number of DFW dealers via Edmunds (looking for an EX-L N/R) and got responses from 3 of those. Bankston (who I had gone to initially) agreed to match an offer from one of the other dealers. We went in and left a deposit. Two weeks later they still hadn't found a vehicle for us and they'd stopped responding to my calls. I concluded that they had been hoping to find one via a trade (and couldn't) and that all of their incoming vehicles were already allocated (I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't have simply ordered one as I told them I was fine with waiting for 2-3 months if need be). I walked away from them at that point.

We ended up going back to David McDavid (although the price had now jumped by $600) and we currently have a vehicle being built (this week apparently) which, theoretically, will go to us in early May. But, I'm very concered about losing the vehicle when it arrives to someone who is willing to pay more, or being told that "they can't do that price anymore". I should know in a few weeks...

ETA
  • Options
    Yep. That is the post I had remembered. So you ordered from David McDavid (Irving or Friso)? How much above invoice was your quote? ("jumped by $600")

Any others out there who have experience with DFW dealers?

I am talking to a Bankston "Internet" salesman currently.
  • Options
    chewie5chewie5 Member Posts: 61
    Well, my wife and I are about to start the process of buying an Odyssey. We'd like to get the Touring RES/NAV. Based on the info from this board, I'm going to email Yuba City Honda (we live in the North Bay Area) and try to get the same deal that others got ($36,058). If I can get that, I plan to see if any dealers closer to me will match it. I don't mind driving to get the best deal.

Based on everyone's experiences with purchasing this car, do you have any suggestions? Do you think we're approaching things the right way? What about the extended warranty?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)
  • Options
    etaeta Member Posts: 33
    We're with the Irving dealer. The price they quoted me was $32448 (slate green EX-L NAV/RES with no options). D&H would add $515, tax about $2124 and TTL another $225 so my out the door price would be about $35312.

I think one of the other dealers that I spoke to was the Frisco dealer. They were eager to match offers but, again, they couldn't actually pony up a vehicle...

I'm still trying to decide what, if any, options I'll add, assuming I actually take possession of this vehicle :). I might let them do the dealer tint ($150 or so I think) but they wanted a lot to install fog lights (about $600 I think), mud guards and 3rd row sunshades. I can probably get the last 2 items from handa-accessories.com and install them myself but I'm tempted to pay someone to install the foglights -- this isn't an easy install...

Oh, and I'm somewhat leaning towards getting an extended warantee at this point, although I suppose I could wait a while before doing this. Apparently these can be had for about $1075 or so (7yrs / 100K / 0 deductable).

ETA
  • Options
    dtmaxdtmax Member Posts: 2
    Briwill21 - your deal sounds excellent - would you consider posting the dealership you purchased your EXL RES and NAV in Charlotte. I'm looking to buy in the next 2 weeks and would travel for a good price.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Please don't ask others to e-mail you for more info. Part of being a part of a vibrant, online community is having the discussions online where everyone can benefit from the questions and answers. Therefore, we highly discourage "email me" posts as we like to have the discussions take place in our Forums and not in email. When questions are answered in email, everyone else in the discussion loses in the opportunity to learn and benefit from the exchange.

Also, posting your email address in a public forum where search engines and spiders crawl content, your address can end up on numerous "spam" lists.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    yaskyyasky Member Posts: 9
    As ETA indicated, most dealers are looking at MSRP and budging little for R/N in stock. I had to order one. Still skeptical until the deal is done scheduled for mid May.

John Eagle - best first offer - $1001 over invoice; from some earlier posts, this dealer seemed to be most "reputable".
    Rusty Wallis - matched offer from JE
    David McDavid (Frisco) - initially only $500 off MSRP, but then quickly matched JE; dealership is only 8-9 months old so may be something to consider.

None of these dealers had the color we wanted so we would have had to wait in all instances.

Vandergriff - talked to the internet mgr and he was "warned" me against dealers offering such low pricing for this model. Turned me off, but also made me cautious until the papers are signed.
    Bankston - also closest for me, but they were unwilling to match.

Many of the dealers suggest that I "jump" on the price I received. I'll let the forum know when I've closed the deal. Good luck out there.
  • Options
    aaronwiaaronwi Member Posts: 18
    I am located in NW Wisconsin and am looking for anyone that has had good experiences with dealers in NW WI or the Twin Cities MN.

My wife is from Nederland TX, so we spend several weeks a year in and around Houston....so any lists of Houston, Baytown, Winnie, or Beaumont dealers would be helpful also. I stopped into Twin City Hwy Honda in Beaumont two weeks ago and they were offering a maximum of 1000.00 off MSRP (although they had an ad in the paper for a van at 300.00 over invoice...but GO FIGURE...it wasn't on the lot!)

Thanks
  • Options
    Call Greg May Honda in Waco. Straight shooters and you can do everything over the phone and by Fax. I was able to sign a sales agreement by fax and they accepted a deposit by credit card. At that time they gave me a approximate build and delivery date. The car came in 3 days early.

Contact me and I will give you the salesman info if your interested. They also matched the best price that I found over the internet on accessories. Get the delivery date in writing. They know exactly what they have coming in and when.
  • Options
    b_rad, yasky and eta, thanks for the replies. So b_rad, you live in the DFW area and drove to Waco? How far above invoice was the final sales agreement you signed? That's only a 1.5 hour drive. Not a big deal if it saves me a decent amount of money. I don't mind ordering. How long did you wait for the order? How do I contact you? The link to your alias reads email is private.

Are any of you discovering that if you order vs. taking inventory off the lot that you get a better price? It would seem to me that patience in the form or waiting for an order would net a better price. Any thoughts or experience in this area?
  • Options
    keenoneskeenones Member Posts: 5
    aaronwi- (sorry it's long)
    We live in the Twin Cities and just bought our Odyssey EXL-RES in Silver Pearl Metallic about a month ago. I started out like many others and sent out about 20 emails to all the MN dealers and even a few in Wisconsin & Northern Iowa, as I was willing to drive a bit to get the best deal. My advice to you for all 6 of the Honda dealers in and around the Twin cities, MN is DON'T EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME. They all seem to quote right around the same price...give or take a few $100. They were all $1,500+ over invoice for the model I was looking for. Based on other posts on this board from different parts of the country, I was looking for closer to $500 over invoice.

I had read an earlier post on this board about a good deal from Zimbrick in Madison, WI and at first the internet manager said he could not do the same deal as the other person got since "it was getting closer to Spring". But he guaranteed me he could still get me a good price. After about 3 emails back in forth, I realized this guy was more interested in playing games than selling a car.

Most of the dealers in Northern MN & Northern IA either did not have the vehicle or were closer to MSRP due to their low volume from being located in a more rural area. I quickly realized there are 2 types of dealers out there. Dealers who like to sell high volume & low margin and others who prefer high margin & low volume. If price is a high priority to you in your search, once you determine which type each of the dealers fall into it makes it easy to focus on who is going to give you the best deal. If you are complete in canvassing dealers near & far with your price quote requests, you will find the 1 or 2 dealers that are willing to play ball. After gathering all of the quotes I had received and making a spreadsheet, I had narrowed it down to 2 dealers that wanted my business:
    (EXL-RES invoice is ($29,387):

Motor Inn Honda in Albert Lea, MN
    Honda Motorwerks in La Crosse, WI

Both of these dealers quoted me $29,987 (+$600 over invoice ) +TTL. Motor Inn Honda had a $50 Doc Fee which I thought was fair but Honda Motorwerks did not charge any. Even though both dealers shot me straight from the beginning, the salesman at Honda Motowerks was faster with his responses and pleasant to work with...no games, no unethical dealer tactics. After a little back & forth, and even though it was a little farther drive, we settled on Honda Motorwerks in La Crosse, WI for $29,700 +TTL. After agreeing on the price, I gave a deposit over the phone and took delivery 5 days later (just a day after it was delivered off the truck from the Honda factory)! The finance manager was even able to get us 3.9% financing with no games or pressure to buy extended warranty. This was better than the 4.4% my bank was offering.

When we went to the dealer, the salesman was very professional and had the vehicle all ready detailed waiting to go. We signed all the paper work, went over the vehicle and were out the door in about an hour! The overall experience at Honda Motorwerks was nothing less than perfect. The Salesman, Sales manager & Finance manager were all wonderful people and easy to deal with. Even after giving me what I think is a great deal for this area (+$313 over invoice), they were all very appreciative of my business and eager to help in any way. I would recommend this dealer to anyone in MN or WI who does'nt mind driving a little extra to get a great deal from some great people.

Thank you to all on this board who have posted before me. I did a lot of lurking before even sending my first price quote email. The knowledge I gained from this board was invaluable in my negotiatons. Knowledge is power and a little homework goes a long way!
  • Options
    I'll change the email thing, try again
  • Options
    kluukluu Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a '05 Touring with DVD&NAV color slate green/ Olive interior at Yuba Honda, Yuba city CA for $37000 + tax and license. My wife and kids they love it.

Thanks everyone on this forum and people who are create its.
  • Options
    Interesting post, nanj. When I bought my Touring R&N at Hugh White in February, the finance department turned up their nose at the idea of competing on the EW price so I passed on it. Glad to hear they've now learned their lesson.

Funny thing about that store (and also true of some others) - buying through the internet department will not necessarily get you the best price. My sister and I concluded separate deals on '05 Pilots on the same day at Hugh White in January. She went through the internet guy (who sold her an '03 Pilot two years ago) and paid $300 over invoice. I went through a salesman who has sold me a couple of other cars and paid $700 under invoice for my wife's EX-L Nav.

Bought my Touring from the same guy 7 weeks later for the then invoice of $34,588 and the price included about $400 worth of accessories.

You might be interested to know that Hugh White does quite a bit of trading with a dealer in Indy though I'm not sure which one.
  • Options
    Thank you SOOO much keenones for your help!!!

LaCrosse is about 2 hours away for me (about the same as the cities), but I never think of it since I rarely go that direction.

I will most assuredly follow up on that lead.

Thanks again!!!!! :shades:
  • Options
    wrightboysdadwrightboysdad Member Posts: 3
    I've been lurking for a couple of months now reading every post on this board. I'm dead set on getting a GREAT deal on our next car because my last two purchases (a 2000 VW Jetta and a 2001 VW New Beetle) left a really bad taste on our mouths. So, thanks for all the information provided.

I have been doing some preliminary research on my own, and got an offer of $300 over invoice from Bankston in Lewisville a couple of months ago. However, we decided to wait to make a purchase in July so we can build up a pretty sizeable down payment.

The one thing that I haven't seen much of on here is pricing on the EX. It seems that everyone on here is buying RES/NAV. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on a car! So, if anyone can provide information on how they have done on an EX Cloth in Texas (especially around Austin, but I'm willing to travel), I would appreciate it. I'll be sure to reciprocate as I get closer to my purchase.
  • Options
    rafintxrafintx Member Posts: 1
    I would like to find out who your contact at the dealership was. Please send me a name and how you contacted them. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    van_infovan_info Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I just bought my Ody EX from Lute Riley Honda. Initially I went to David McDaving Irving but the sales manager was an absolute jerk. I gave him by initial offer and he told me arrogantly whether I was there to buy a car or not. And he walked away from me. Jerk. :mad: It's a totally rude person. I won't go back to David McDavid Irving anymore. Then, I got a quote from Bankston as well as Huggins. All of them were willing to match each other's prices. Both dealership were nice and not pushy but I ended up with Lute Riley because none of the dealerships (Bankston & Huggins) had the color that I wanted. I had an extremely nice sales person at Lute Riley who did not waste any of my time. As soon as I came, he just matched the price and I went out the dealership in no time. My price was around $26K with Mudguards, pin stripes, cargo tray, cargo net. The car was even cleaned before I arrived (I told them that I was coming). When I bought my Civic in 2000, I had a similarly bad experience at Vandergriff Honda (rude sales person and he asked me to wait for 2 hours for nothing). I ended up buying my Civic from Lute Riley as well from the same sales person. If you have any questions, please email me. :D
  • Options
    van_infovan_info Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I just bought my Ody EX from Lute Riley Honda. Initially I went to David McDaving Irving but the sales manager was an absolute jerk. I gave him my initial offer and he told me arrogantly whether I was there to buy a car or not. And he walked away from me. Jerk. :mad: It's a totally rude person. I won't go back to David McDavid Irving anymore. Then, I got a quote from Bankston as well as Huggins. All of them were willing to match each other's prices. Both dealership were nice and not pushy but I ended up with Lute Riley because none of the dealerships (Bankston & Huggins) had the color that I wanted. I had an extremely nice sales person at Lute Riley who did not waste any of my time. As soon as I came, he just matched the price and I went out the dealership in no time. My price was around $26K with Mudguards, pin stripes, cargo tray, cargo net. The car was even cleaned before I arrived (I told them that I was coming). When I bought my Civic in 2000, I had a similarly bad experience at Vandergriff Honda (rude sales person and he asked me to wait for 2 hours for nothing). I ended up buying my Civic from Lute Riley as well from the same sales person. If you have any questions, please email me. :D
  • Options
    briwill21briwill21 Member Posts: 7
    Sure, dtmax. It is Hendrick Honda on South Blvd. I also noticed someone posted a similar car from Honda of Rock Hill (SC), that was only a couple hundred above my deal. Great deal also, and not too far away. I worked with Honda of Rock Hill's Internet Lead, and Metro Honda's(Monroe) Internet lead, and both were great. All 3 matched the price I wanted, but Hendrick Honda was the only one that stepped up and dropped the price further to secure my business. Great experience with sales person. I'm not sure of the etiquette on these forums, so if you want his name, ping me offline at my username above @hotmail.com. He wasn't the Internet lead.
  • Options
    There is an '05 Touring on Ebay right now with a Buy-it-now price of invoice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4544499543&category=625- 8
  • Options
    hbcsc153hbcsc153 Member Posts: 27
    Hello!

Does anyone have a format for the email to be sent to the dealers?

Thanks,

Emil
  • Options
    Just use Honda's website to request quotes.
  • Options
    Just bought the wife an Odyssey.
    Went back to Greg May Honda in Waco and made a deal this time on a EX-L DVD along with pinstripes, wheel locks, splash guards, door-edge guards, and cargo cover for $30,500. inc. TT&L. Did it all over the phone. Take delivery tomorrow.
  • Options
    breadmanbenbreadmanben Member Posts: 3
    For a price point in the Seattle area. Just purchased today.

Invoice + 2,000 + TTL

Probably not the best deal.....definately not the worst deal.
    No waiting. Car to be delivered next week.