Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    oceang2oceang2 Member Posts: 40
    cc check is a credit card check. I get these balance xfr checks in the mail all the time for 0 to 1.99% for 1-2 years. If they had the incentive financing down here, I would have done it but otherwise it saves me about 4,000. + in finance charges over what the dealer wanted to charge me. I'll move it over to Discover soon at 0% and then I'll have the 0 for 48-60 months.
  • Options
    smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    So I take it the dealer accepted the cc check as payment for the vehicle? I have attempted to pay for cars using a credit card (to get airline miles, intending to pay the card off immediately) and dealers wouldn't accept the cc for full payment. Their attitude about cc checks must be different?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302
    Most credit card checks carry a fee (usually 3% upfront) that is added to the credit card balance, along with the amount of the check.

So, they are getting their money directly from the card holder, instead of the merchant.

Since the merchant isn't out anything extra, they generally won't care. The only sticking point is if they will let you walk away with what is essentially a personal check. Most dealers are okay with it, as long as you fill out a credit app for backup financing, in case that check isn't honored.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I have good credit so they took the cc check but they did do a credit check first. The fee for this one is 3% but it had a 150.00 max. If it would have been 3% outright, I wouldn't have done it. They won't take a large amt on the cc as a normal charge due to the fact that they have to pay 1.5-2% fee to the merchant company. Dealers will usually only take up to 3-4K on the card as part of a downpayment.
    And yes, he did have me fill out and sign the backup financing agreement in case the check was not going to go through. They even did a courtesy 7 day hold for me on the cc check with a simple request to do so. All I did was ask and they said ok. The worst they can say is no. That was a pleasure.
  • Options
    cherishzmcherishzm Member Posts: 13
    I used this tactic when I bought a new car in 2005. I paid off auto loan balance with a CC balance transfer check (It was a Chase CC card) and I was able to get 2.99%, about 3% lower than auto loan interest rate. I was able to save some money on interest.

The only bad thing about this is that your credit score can get lower due to carrying high balance on your credit card. Unlike auto loan, carrying high balance on credit card account is certainly a negative factor when determining credit worthiness.

If you are planning to buy a house and get a mortgage, refinance, or personal loan, transferring a huge amount of money to CC should be postponed.
  • Options
    bikemike1bikemike1 Member Posts: 2
    First of all oceang2, you post was incredible. I have been working a deal on exactly the same car with my local dealership. We had worked out a deal of 25,100 which I thought was excellent. Based on the information you provided, I just sent them a follow up email with my new offer of 23,750 and to drop the BS dealer fee. They will probably be blown away by the numbers I gave them. Hopefully they will bite. Again, thanks for your post, just hope it pays off!
  • Options
    artemiotartemiot Member Posts: 6
    I have just received a quote from Towne Hyundai. Just a couple of questions:

1. They applied the $1000 rebate to the after-tax total. Is this normal?
    2. They have a line item called 4 yr MV. What is this?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Art
  • Options
    mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    1. Yes. You pay tax on the purchase price. The rebate is deducted from the total amount paid; think of it as a $1000 voucher.

2. Sounds like a question to ask the dealer. How much ($$$) is it?
  • Options
    No. 2 is $354.

Here's the whole dealer quote for a 2007 SF Limited AWD (I didn't ask for XM) available:

MSRP: $29860.00
    Invoice: $28,186.00 (I can't seem to match this invoice to anything in Edmunds)
    Etch: $185.00
    Internet Discount: $1,600.00
    SubTotal: $26,771.00
    NJ Tax: $1,873.97
    Tire Tax: $7.50
    Doc Fee: $189.00
    4 Yr MV: $354.00
    SubTotal: $29,195.47
    Rebate: $1,000.00
    Total: $28,195.47
  • Options
    That MSRP and invoice price indicate an AWD Ltd. with moonroof (Option group 26) and carpet mats. Adds up perfectly on the carsdirect site.
  • Options
    Could the 4 Yr MV be the New Jersey license fee (4 years worth)?

Also, what's "Etch"?

Smith1 is correct - the M.S.R.P. matches exactly to a 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD with Premium Package and carpeted mats. The invoice price you were quoted for the same car is exactly $150 higher than what's shown here at Edmunds.com; I'm sure that the difference lies in a $150 advertising fee that the dealer is charged but that is not reflected in Edmunds' invoice pricing. (I recently bought an identically-equipped Santa Fe with the addition of the "all-important" factory first aid kit; when my dealer showed me the factory invoice the numbers matched the numbers at Edmunds exactly but under the invoice total there was another $150 line item called "Regional Advertising Fee".)

The deal you're being offered sounds like a very good one to me. If the car is equipped to your liking, grab it.
  • Options
    My guess is that "etch" refers to VIN etching of the windshield and windows. It's not worthless, but you can buy a DIY etching kit for $20, hence it's another high profit dealer add-on like paint protection etc.
  • Options
    surfsalotsurfsalot Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to ksheff and lize for sharing your information.

After requesting bids we did our test drive with the dealership closest to us. They didn’t seem eager to deal and we weren’t happy with the customer experience (he was 30 minutes late for our appt) so after reading your feedback we made a beeline to the Denny Hecker dealership in Roseville. DH didn’t come down much on their price, but they had to trade for the car we wanted—and despite searching every dealership within 70 miles we had been unable to find the exact one we wanted locally on our own-so we are happy with the deal.

2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD
    Slate Blue – Grey Leather Interior
    Touring Package
    Premium Package
    Carpeted Floor Mats

Cash Deal - No trade in

$31,180 MSRP
    $29,405 Invoice
    $28,405 Lowest Internet Dealer quote from the 4 dealerships contacted
    $28,205 Negotiated Price
    - 1,000 Rebate
    $27,205 Final price (+ tax-license-registration)

=$3,975 Discount

We were disappointed that there was no navigation system available in the Santa Fe, but since we passed on buying a car with the upgraded stereo system ( a $2,366 savings based on dealer invoice) we are able to purchase an installed Kenwood DNX7100 (Garmin) GPS system complete with Bluetooth and Backup Camera for about the same price.
  • Options
    ramblinwreck1ramblinwreck1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to all the posts here. The information was very good & appreciated. After shopping for a few weeks & with a few interruptions, I finally got a deal I was satisfied with. I bought Limited, 2WD w/ XM, option package 31 & C7. I paid $1770 under invoice (based on edmund's)after the rebate was applied. I went to several dealers close by first, but selection wasn't good and they didnt have much play. Also, checked out fitzmall and cars direct. Finally, went about 50 miles north to Ed Voyles Hyundai (in the Metro Atlanta Area) and they accepted this offer fairly easily. It was pretty much a no hassle experience.

Thanks for all the insight
  • Options
    Congrats on your new Santa Fe! It's a great SUV and you're going to enjoy it very much.
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    That is pretty good. I paid $850 for it at my dealer. Enjoy.
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Ed Voyles in marietta is where I bought my SF SE AWD also. They gave me a decent deal and not too much hassle (for a car dealer). Good luck, I am enjoying mine.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    If you don't want the window etching tell them. They will probably agree to drop it.
  • Options
    tushar1tushar1 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for Limited and SE with Touring and Ultimate Package. Dealers are telling me that they have only 1 in entire tristate of OH, KY and IN.
    1)Does anyone know where can I find this combination near to tristate area.? My wife really wants this package. :mad:
    2)What is the most common configuration available for Santa Fe. :confuse:

Thank you.
    Sam
  • Options
    Try Fitzmall.com.
  • Options
    Looks like it. But the one in carsdirect includes XM.

I've personally taken a look at the vehicle and it doesn't have XM. The posted MSRP on it was $29860 which is the same MSRP in carsdirect and fitzmall, but for a LTD AWD w/ XM, and w/ option 26 and 5-passenger mats.
  • Options
    Are you saying that the car you looked at has an M.S.R.P. of $29,860 but does not have XM? The M.S.R.P. on a Santa Fe equipped that way should be $29,660. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm betting that either the car has XM OR you misread the price on the sticker.
  • Options
    No, I didn't misread. When the dealer quoted me the MSRP and Invoice prices, I asked if it has XM and he said no. I thought too that he might have missed it so I went by today to check the SF (I have the VIN #). I found the car on the lot, with the exact prices that the dealer quoted, and NO XM.

On the other hand, I found another SF w/ the same options but w/ XM. This one has a higher msrp and invoice prices.

I might go ahead and deal with them but using the invoice prices posted in carsdirect and fitzmall.
  • Options
    What's the M.S.R.P. on the SF you found with XM, Premium Package, and mats?
  • Options
    reemoereemoe Member Posts: 15
    Hello,
    I saw posted here recently a price on the extended 10-year/100K mile warranty of $759. What is the deductible and how can it be purchased (online, from dealer only, etc.)?

Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    tuggerstuggers Member Posts: 52
    Go to checkbook.org and search for extended warranties.
    They will give you the name of the dealer who will sell it for $100 over cost. It is the HPP with no deductible. Best one Hyundai has.

Please tell him Gail from Ga. sent you. He was very nice to me and I would just like him to know I appreciated it. No kickback to me, just good Karma.
  • Options
    speedie1970speedie1970 Member Posts: 7
    Well, after a couple of weeks of shopping around, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Santa Fe. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer because it wasn't easy finding what I wanted. There just aren't that many Limited AWD with the touring package remaining around Chicago. My dealer (Gregory Hyundai) is going up to Milwaukee to get it.

The car & deal are almost identical to Surfsalot's:

2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD w/ XM
    Slate Blue with Gray Leather
    Premium Package
    Touring Package
    Carpeted Floor Mats
    Mud Guards
    First Aid Kit (huh? oh well, only it's only $20)

$31,272 - MSRP (incl. destination)
    $28,058 - Invoice
    $27,441 - Edmund's TMV Price (incl. $1,000 rebate)
    -----------------------------
    $27,066 - Final Price (+ t,t,l)

I got quotes from 4 or 5 dealers, and while my dealer of choice (Gregory) initially had one of the highest prices, they offered to match the best one, and they did. They've been a pleasure to work with so far (I pick up the car this weekend).
  • Options
    mmsf14mmsf14 Member Posts: 6
    ramblinwreck, I am working on a deal on a Santa Fe through Ed Voyles as well. What additional fees did they charge after the price was agreed upon? i.e. document fee, etc... Anyone else who has done a deal with Ed Voyles have any input?
  • Options
    Congrats! You made a GREAT deal, even better than you may think. According to Edmunds, invoice on your car is not $28,058 but $29,348! You're buying it for $1282 under invoice LESS the rebate. That's a terrific deal. You're going to love your new Santa Fe. I recently bought a nearly identical one (mine doesn't have the Touring Package but it DOES have the first aid kit and the mud guards) and it's fantastic. Best of luck.
  • Options
    speedie1970speedie1970 Member Posts: 7
    oops, you're right. I think I put the invoice price for an SE AWD. I was a little sleepy when I posted this morning.

Picking it up in a couple of hours. I can't wait!
  • Options
    Tuggers,

You mentioned you used an Ohio dealer at checkbook.org. I currently see one from New York listed (at $100 over cost). Did you end up going with the one in Ohio? Which dealer was it?

Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    I noticed the Fitzmall site mentions an additional $500 bonus cash if financed through Hyundai Motor Credit. Is this something other dealers offer, as well?
  • Options
    Could this be related to the new "Big Duh Sales Event" just launched yesterday? The press release mentions $500 in 'Big Duh Bonus Cash' on all models.

Would this, in effect, create a $1,500 rebate on the Santa Fe?
  • Options
    WATCH OUT...Finance Office Trick On Extended Warranty. Just wrapping up a deal on a new Santa Fe and had a frustrating experience in the finance office regarding the warranty. As they were shoving paper in front of me as fast as they could, they put the Extended Warranty paperwork in front of me (got the 10 yr 100k mi bumper to bumper). Without any notice to me, the guy had checked the $100 deductible box on the paperwork (caught it out of the corner of my eye as he whisked it away after signing). I told him that I wanted no deductible and he said it was an extra $135 to go with no deductible. Talk about no-brainer!! Pay $135 now and not $100 every time you take your vehicle in for Extended Warranty coverage.

Also, he tried to get me to agree to the service plan in addition to extended warranty by saying it was all together in one package. It is not...they are priced separately and if you don't want them together do not accept it!
  • Options
    The additional $500 bonus cash on all models is dependant on financing with Hyundai.
  • Options
    The additional $500 bonus cash on all models is dependant on financing with Hyundai.

Where did you get that information? The press release on the Big Duh event suggests that the $500 is in addition to the $1000 rebate and there is no mention of a tie-in with Hyundai financing.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070719/lath115.html?.v=52

On the other hand, I don't see anything at all about the $500 bonus cash on the Special Offers page on the Hyundaiusa website.

Kind of confusing...
  • Options
    I just closed the deal on a new Santa Fe purchase today. I went with the Hyundai financing to get the $500 extra cash. Rate was 6.6%, I can get better and will probably refinance in 90 days.

I had 2 dealers competing to get my business. Both stated that the $500 is contingent upon Hyundai financing.
  • Options
    ksheffksheff Member Posts: 3
    Surfsalot - Glad Denny Hecker Rosedale found your perfect vehicle, I bought mine from their Inver Grove location. Funny you should mention them, I was out of town from July 11 until last night and had a cell phone call from the salesperson at Denny Hecker Rosedale I last dealt with on May 30. He asked if I had bought a Santa Fe yet, I said I was in Colorado Springs with my new Santa Fe, he was speechless and I wonder why he waited so long to follow up.

There are more Santa Fe's in the mountainous west than I've seen in the Twin Cities. Loved the headlights that showed me a mule deer I probably wouldn't have seen with my old minivan headlights. Glad the buffalo in Custer State Park ignored me, I had to creep by them with only inches to spare on the gravel/dirt road I dared to take my new vehicle on. I brought along my dad's new portable Garmin navigation system since I didn't want it bad enough to wait until the 2008 Santa Fe came out with it.

These last postings make it clear that if you are a Santa Fe buyer that wants a particular interior/exterior color, trim level and optional package, you might pay more for it because with the 2008's now in production there are not many 2007's left to pick from.
  • Options
    longhorn83longhorn83 Member Posts: 2
    Surfalot
    You must still be buzzin over your purchase. I am interested in having a Kenwood DNX7100 installed in the Santa Fe Limited that I am going to purchase for my wife. Can you share your experience using this product? Can you use the steering wheel mounted controls with the DNX7100. Does Bluetooth work as advertised. Have you tried connecting a iPOD? How is the fit and finish? Did the dealer install it? I appreciate anything that you can share.

thanks again

Longhorn83
  • Options
    I purchased the sf Lmtd last week.
    I'm debating on which extended warranty to go with. Can a few people help clarify this topic.

I have Geico Ins. and they have a 100K mile b to bumper warranty which has to be initiated before 15k miles on the car. Its only 4.75/mo. This has a 250.00 deductible so its great for expensive repairs.

Any other comments appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    I also have GEICO and I went with their extended warranty on both of my cars (2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD and 2005 Corvette). For the money it can't be beat.
  • Options
    I purchased a Santa Fe Limited this weekend also. On my previous Santa Fe I purchased the 10 yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty directly from Hyundai and loved the service. I ran out the 60k warranty in 3 years and had no problem getting warranty service at any Hyundai dealership afterwards. I did not have to get authorization or anything, just brought the car in. And the $0 deductible (standard) allowed me to take the vehicle in numerous times for the little bugs that popped up (interior lights switched off intermittently, sunroof gremlin, etc) with no fear of out of pocket expense. Only cost $875 in 2003.

Now, I wanted to purchase the exact same warranty for my current edition but then I found out that Hyundai no longer offers the warranty directly. They "partnered" with JM&A (subsidiary Fidelity Warranty Services is on the form) to offer the warranty and it is not exactly the same. Here are the differences that are causing me to rethink purchasing the 10yr/100k warranty now:

1. After the standard 5/60 warranty runs out, if you want/need to take your vehicle to any Hyundai dealer other than the one who sold you the car, you must call a number to get authorization.
    2. If the dealer does a repair before getting permission from the warranty company, the warranty company can refuse to pay and will likely want to inspect the "defective" parts to confirm necessity. Similar to any 3rd party warranty
    3. Not all Hyundai dealers have bought in yet from what I can tell. Being the research nut that I am, I called Hyundai dealerships in Georgia, Kentucky and Tennessee and found one that only offers the Chevy warranty and another that only offers a warranty through Great American. These are not "official" Hyundai warranties and may cause hangups at other dealerships.
    4. On the plus side, the warranty rep at my local dealership (who has always provided excellent service for the past 3 years on my previous Santa Fe bought in another state) recommended JM&A highly. He has been doing Hyundai warranty work for nearly 20 years and has dealt with JM&A frequently with no issues. He said the process is very similar to th old Hyundai direct extended warranty.

In the end, it is up to you who you want to go with, 3rd party or the manufacturer's "partner". If you may move from time to time, it is a slightly higher risk to go with a 3rd party warranty if another dealer will not honor it.

On a side note, if you elect to buy the Hyundai warranty through their partner, check the deductible before signing the paperwork. You can choose $0, $50 or $100...if you don't specify you will likely be given the $100.
  • Options
    rwhoutxrwhoutx Member Posts: 3
    The best deal I have been able to get for a plain jane Santa Fe 2WD in a color they have on the lot (silver) is $18,800. The only options would be Automatic Transmission and Floor Mats. Any thoughts? Should I take it? Good deal? Can it be made better?
  • Options
    Assuming that it does not have XM, invoice on the car is $22,034. Even if your deal is after the $1000 rebate, you're getting it for $2234 under invoice. That sounds like a fantastic deal to me. If the car is equipped to your liking, you'd be crazy to not grab it.
  • Options
    girlnextdoorgirlnextdoor Member Posts: 5
    I was thinking of getting the $0 deductible warranty and am getting quotes of $1500. Does that sound high? What is reasonable? They claim their cost is $1400..
  • Options
    tuggerstuggers Member Posts: 52
    Go look at post #1195. I posted there how to get the HPP warranty, zero deductible for $759
  • Options
    chemronchemron Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good deal or should it be better?
    Thanks
    Ron
    Santa Fe SE AWD It has The Touring Package and the Trailer Prep Package and Floor mats.
    The vehicle internet price is $26,307.00
    Fees 489.98
    taxes 1982.00 -7.4%
    Rebate -1000.00
    Total without trade: $27,778.98
  • Options
    Have you done any research? All of the invoice pricing is available right here at Edmunds. Assuming that the car you're looking at does not have XM (you don't specify), a quick look reveals the following:

M.S.R.P. = $27,730
    Invoice = $26,334

They're essentially trying to sell you the car at invoice which is not a great deal. (Others here are reporting purchases at $1000 - $1500 under invoice before backing out the rebate. On top of that, they're tacking on a $490 "fee" - whatever that is, it's a rip-off and there's no way you should pay it (unless this is for registration).

I'd offer $25,000 LESS THE REBATE and no extra "fees". If they met in the middle at $25,750 LESS THE REBATE and no additional fees (except for tax and registration, of course), I'd do the deal.
  • Options
    tbj0801tbj0801 Member Posts: 11
    Tuggers:

Is the ext. warranty referenced in consumer's checkbook a Hyundai warranty or is it backed by a third party like JM&A?

I believe there are often a variety of levels (power train only, silver plan, gold plan, and platinum plan) of coverage, a variety of numbers of year covered (from 5 and up to 10 years), and different deductibles ($100 or $0) offered. To which of these does the $759 quote correspond?
  • Options
    jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Not a great deal - Assuming it's a SE AWD 3.3L engine the MSRP is $25,845 +mats95+1300 Touring pkg., so full MSRP=$27,240. So that means they are offering you $933 off of MSRP and then charging you $489 back in fees, reducing their initial discount to a mere $444, then the $1000 regular rebate.

Invoice price from Edmunds is $24,544+95+1300 pkg.= $25,939 less $1000 regular rebate would be $24,939+ taxes, TT&L.W/O a trade in.

That ends up $1000 below invoice - Try that and see if it flies. As always, caveat emptor - check all this yourself before deciding, but offer $1000 rebate below invoice +Taxes.There are many deals like that going through.

You might want to get another competitors e-mail offer as well and see if it will beat the one you have. You may also qualify for another $500 rebate if you use Hyundai financing, or have bought a Hyundai before as a loyalty discount. Good Luck