Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

Karen

Is it possible to add the reply button back at every post. It seems in the heavier discussion boards you cant tell who is responding to who.

I use Aol service and there is no spell check feature on the discussion boards anymore???

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited December 2013

@brian125 said:
    Karen

Is it possible to add the reply button back at every post. It seems in the heavier discussion boards you cant tell who is responding to who.

I use Aol service and there is no spell check feature on the discussion boards anymore???

The Quote link under the post is for replying to a specific post like I just did.

You can delete parts of the quoted post if you have a specific part of a longer post you want to reply to.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711

Do I have to copy and paste what I want in the quote?

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@texases I believe you just have to hit the quote button. However it is appearing to me if the post you are trying to quote from already has a previous quote in it, all you get is the users name not the data. Of course this is new so perhaps I'm incorrect, would not be first time :D

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711

@ray80 said:
    texases I believe you just have to hit the quote button. However it is appearing to me if the post you are trying to quote from already has a previous quote in it, all you get is the users name not the data. Of course this is new so perhaps I'm incorrect, would not be first time :D

You are correct, sir!

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    bpeebles - re: Join date discrepancy. We are aware of that and planning have that fixed.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a manual process beginning with me recording individual member join info on a spreadsheet. :'( Then passing it on to the IT guys to edit on profile. Not going to be a quick fix. The other thing is, I'm going to go by what is listed as your registration date on your Edmunds account. Back in 2001 we changed that platform and everyone that registered prior to that had their registration date changed to when the upgrade took place. I know, annoying, but that's how it's going to be for a boat load of us.

Yep, back when they changed the platform in 2001, I lost five years of seniority along with a week of vacation, 401K vesting and some other stuff too! WAH!

• Options
    edited December 2013

Yep, back when they changed the platform in 2001, I lost five years of seniority along with a week of vacation, 401K vesting and some other stuff too! WAH!

Just checking on the function of the Quote under the Paragraph drop down. So what I just did was to select that Quote function and it put a ">" sign in the text box. I then cut and pasted the part of isellhondas post that I wanted to quote, hit enter to put in a carriage return and then typed my response, which is...

You forgot to mention how we ripped all the buttons off your jacket and snapped your sword in two ;)

• Options

I'm checking also, on my firefox the quote of a quoted doesn't work. Think I'll try IE

• Options
    edited December 2013

Oooh... I like the little popup notification that let me know you had just posted ray. Did a quick backspace and sure enough, a new post in here.

Perhaps using the Quote under the Paragraph symbol drop down is the best way to quote part of a post that has already been quoted. You can quote me on that!

• Options

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:
    Oooh... I like the little popup notification that let me know you had just posted ray. Did a quick backspace and sure enough, a new post in here.

Perhaps using the Quote under the Paragraph symbol drop down is the best way to quote part of a post that has already been quoted. You can quote me on that!

Ah but it appears what you did eliminated ISELL's name (Least that is what I see)

IE does not appear to work any better (for me)

• Options
    edited December 2013

It didn't eliminate his name. That quote feature lets you cut and paste exactly what you want.

@ray80 what you did eliminated ISELL's name

What I just did there was to manually type @ray80 and then pasted in "what you did..."

I love figuring out how to play with the new toys!

• Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600

My initial reaction to Edmund's new web format and user interface was negative, in terms of ease of use, utility, speed and enjoyment, but I decided to try it for a while before commenting. I've been a long-time participant on Edmund's discussions, and have initiated numerous topics over the years.

I'd love to tell you how great the revisions are, but my opinion remains unchanged. I wish I could have the old system back, but I know that's not going to happen. Therefore, I'll probably use Edmund's less. Just being honest.

• Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

@hpmctorque said:
    My initial reaction to Edmund's new web format and user interface was negative, in terms of ease of use, utility, speed and enjoyment, but I decided to try it for a while before commenting. I've been a long-time participant on Edmund's discussions, and have initiated numerous topics over the years.

I'd love to tell you how great the revisions are, but my opinion remains unchanged. I wish I could have the old system back, but I know that's not going to happen. Therefore, I'll probably use Edmund's less. Just being honest.

As they say with highway bridges, the old platform was "functionally obsolete" as you likely realized with all the crashes and downtime this year. Even if we wanted to, we couldn't maintain the old platform. One of the things we needed going forward was upgradeability and this new software will enable us to take advantage of improvements over time. We're also able to integrate the forums with the rest of the site more easily, which will improve participation.

• Options

karen

Please make this new platform babyboomer friendly. I'm having a very senior moment with all this updated computer talk............ LOL

By the way I'm in agreement with Isell..... lost about 16 years time . us members prior to april 2001 have lost a few b-day cakes. Just send me a re fund check. :)

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096

@hpmctorque said:

I am very much on the fence. Certainly this platform seems more responsive than the old s/w, and hopefully will be more reliable. But the user interface is quite messy looking. I don't know if all Vanilla forums look that way of if that is a function of choices made by Edmunds during the implementation. Nothing seems to be in the right place, documentation or help for the functions is nonexistent, and having to rely on Windows keyboard shortcuts to navigate efficiently seems a big step backwards. Some things are too large, others too small, some nonexistent. I acknowledge that ads are necessary to pay for things but there seems to be a lot of them along with lots of wasted screen real estate. I am impressed that it actually works as well as it seems to be working out of the box, but I am still getting used to the interface and so far I am not a huge fan of that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

@isellhondas said: Unfortunately, it's going to be a manual process beginning with me recording individual member join info on a spreadsheet.....

I understand this may take some time to review and correct. While you are at it, please consider collecting other pertinent info into your spreadsheet. It is not just the 'join date' which was incorrectly migrated from the old system.

Thanks for you continued support. I realize this platform-migration has been a lot of work for many people.

• Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    edited December 2013

@brian125 said:
    Karen

Technically, the "quote" is reply on this platform. I understand there is a problem with quoting to a comment that contains a quote from another member. Will investigate that and submit bug...if that's what it is? Hey, I'm still learning this too. :(

As for spell check, this platform recognizes your browser's spell check, so when a word is misspeled (<--- like that), a red squiggly line appears beneath it. Right click on the word and it will display the correct spelling or options of words close to what it thinks it might be. Click on the word you want to use and boom, it is entered in your comment correctly.

Hope that helps!

• Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@bpeebles Re: While you are at it, please consider collecting other pertinent info into your spreadsheet. It is not just the 'join date' which was incorrectly migrated from the old system.

Can you be more specific? Click on my screen name to send a personal message, or you can email karen@edmunds.com

• Options

bpeebles just quoted me and that wasn't anything I had posted. ????

• Options

Seriously, I'm TRYING to like this new format. I really am because I know it's not going away but at this point, I'm losing interest. Probably just my lack of computer savvy.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited December 2013

@brian125 said:

I use Firefox on my old laptop and its spellchecker is active as I type while posting in the forums here. If you're not using it, I recommend trying it for some work, and trying out its spell checking.

However, I still have Internet Explorer 8 on this laptop and occasionally I'm using it to read and post--it does NOT do spell checking. I do not know if the newer IE versions do active spelling check. I can't use them with my old XP pro operating system.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Speckie worked well for older versions of Windows (it was discontinued for Windows 8). WinSpell is the Win 8 replacement for Speckie, but as you note, these utility programs are a bit redundant since most browsers have spell check built in.

• Options
    edited December 2013

@isellhondas said:
    bpeebles just quoted me and that wasn't anything I had posted. ????

Woah.... you are right... I actually pushed the button to quote "Karen" I have no clue how your screenname appeared in my quote.

• Options
    edited December 2013

@bpeebles, @sellhondas, my guess is that someone was quoting and they got their text in with the quoted text and that was requoted so it looked like bpeeples was saying what Karen really said here:

forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4107591/#Comment_4107591

Who's on first? :D

• Options

A post reference number is also a good feature to reference a post. No number on any posts. with all this room on the page a few twicks could make this alot easier to navigate thru.

• Options

Is there any way to toggle off that annoying ad at the very bottom-left of the page that seems to get in the way all the time? Between that and the Edmunds bar taking up a lot of space on the top of the screen, it is like reading the forums through a mail slot.

• Options
    edited December 2013

@brian125, one way to reference a specific post (without quoting it) is to right click the date and paste the url. Like so:

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/3910054/#Comment_3910054

• Options

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    brian125, one way to reference a specific post (without quoting it) is to right click the date and paste the url. Like so:

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/3910054/#Comment_3910054

That takes me to a screen with 3 posts showing. I'm not sure which one is being referenced, so that really doesn't help much.

• Options
    edited December 2013

It links to the first one at the top.

• Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

It's great to see so many familiar faces here already!

After reading the first few pages, and then jumping ahead to the last few posts here..I see there's lotsa fun on the new site...let's all get into bed together since we're sharin' so much now...I wanna girl on either side of me though..lol

I think they'll get 'er all sorted in due time. There's some pretty cool new features that we never had before..like being able to post a pic and probably a pile more I haven't discovered yet.

I wish for everyone a happy and safe Holiday Season including belated festive Hanukkah wishes.

• Options
    charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55

@tinycadon said:
    The new format is awful, sometimes more doesn't equal better. The nice thing about the old format was the SIMPLICITY of it, your eyes didn't hurt looking at it because there wasn't all kinds of different colors and avatar pictures drawing your attention away from the content.

@berri said:
    I liked the previous capability of comparing say Highlander, Traverse and Explorer comments about issues and problems without all SUV model comments mixed in. It was very useful in comparing these and helping make purchase decisions.?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

also unless hubby n me missed it, the possibility of checking out different prices paid and buying xperiences and leasing for a buncha brands n models - having all of those forums listed on just three pages and reached with jus a coupla mouse clicks - is gone??????

p.s. also would like to get rid of the ugly automatic avatar.......... is there an option for no avatar? thank you :)

• Options
    edited December 2013

There's several ways to get there, but you can click the Buying & Selling tag on the right, then click, say Leasing, and all the Leasing tagged discussions will be listed, most recent activity first. Another option is to go to the Forums link up top on the left, and Browse Forums by Topic, select Buying & Selling and then click Leasing or the Values & Prices Paid subtopic.

You can edit your avatar in your Profile (if you delete and don't upload a new one, you'll be given another "stock" one. I suppose you could upload a photo of a white Odyssey in a snowstorm. ;)

• Options
    douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130

The new forums are a real step backward IMHO. Used to be when I typed in a car model it went right to that forum, now I get a list to chose from and the one I want is usually half way down the list and I have to hunt for for it. Previously when I went to the forum it told me if there were new posts since my last visit, now it does not do that. Also when I go to the opening page of Edmunds.com it used to clearly show if I was till signed in, now it does not. It's such a pain trying to find the Forum I want to read I'm starting to go elsewhere because your new design is so cumbersome. Sorry, this just isn't working for me.

• Options
    edited December 2013

@charles_guy said: would like to get rid of the ugly automatic avatar.......... is there an option for no avatar? thank you :)

I tried putting a white square in place of the avatar for myself (could do this with Windows Paint). On some lists with a white browser background, it's completely gone; on others where the background is light blue it still shows as a white plain square.

Then I tried out making the square a transparent color using Paint Shop Pro. Now, I have no avatar picture. The background color shows through.

When I first saw the avatars, I thought it would be a distraction. However, I like having the small icons here. But other forums have them and I like this much better than some of the other auto forums where people put up all kinds, I mean all kinds, of pictures and text. I have to agree some of the graphics in the avatars are unusual.

But I went on the web and found a small general domain picture that I liked and copied it in as my avatar. Another option would be a scenic picture.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

I hate the "avatars"-- otherwise known as small silly icons. Please also stop awarding us "prizes" for posting like we were 10 years old. Maybe you all needed a new platform, but this edition is quite messy compared to the old. I thought if the forum look got sleeker and had less duplication that would be a plus but it seems you went the other direction. It's very busy.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    edited December 2013

@ab348 said:
    Is there any way to toggle off that annoying ad at the very bottom-left of the page that seems to get in the way all the time?

I am not sure what AD you are referring to... I have no AD on the bottom-left (I have blocked the other ads using built-in Firefox ability to block specific domain-names....have you tried this?)

Bonus: Blocking images from the ad websites speeds up my browser-experience because I am not waiting for all the ads to arrive into my browser.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

I have Ad block too but this little Mazda ad at the bottom seems to escape it.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options

@suydam said:

What browser are you using? I don't see it with FireFox and with IE8 (XP). Is it possibly from a PUP or other malware? Try Malwarebytes to check.

• Options

@imidazol97 said:
    What browser are you using? I don't see it with FireFox and with IE8 (XP). Is it possibly from a PUP or other malware? Try Malwarebytes to check.

I also see the Mazda ad on bottom left, hyundia ad on right side. Toyota ad was on bottom left first day or two with new forum. Firefox

• Options

I am now CONVINCED that the QUOTE feature is not working properly.

so-far, every time I use it, the system puts the wrong person in as being quoted.

Above, I pushed the button to quote @ab348 , but the system put in @suydam.

I even verified the proper name was inplace before I pushed the [Post Comment] button!!

• Options
    edited December 2013

@suydam said:

I am not talking about "ad block"... I specifically tell FireFox to ignore images from specific domain-names. Beware, some ad's are not 'images' hence, they will not be blocked using this method. Perhaps the one you are talking about is not an 'image' but instead delivered to your browser via 'Flash Player'.

hint: right-click the ad to find out if it is flashPlayer

hint2: Install "flashblock" addon to FireFox to eliminate/control them

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,340

I think the issue is when you quote a post, that already has a quoted post in it.. That's the only time I have problems.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392

I'll start by reiterating that I think the new forums layout is a wretched mess but I'll try to be more constructive by asking a few questions--

-Why isn't there a box for searching out specific forum topics, that would seem like a pretty basic and valuable tool?

-Why does my icon look like someone who has a bad STD and how do I get rid of it, I find it very annoying? Is there any easy way to change or dump it, I see the hosts have some nice "badges"?

-Why do the forums open to the "AM General" topic, something in which I have no interest whatsoever?

This sucker needs a lot of work.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options

@andys120 said:
    -Why do the forums open to the "AM General" topic, something in which I have no interest whatsoever?

I was thinking the very same thing.... every time I initially open Edmunds Forums, the main-page is "AM General" topic... which I have never EVER followed.

• Options
    edited December 2013

@bpeebles :

I use Firefox also. How do you tell it to block specific web sources? This one at the lower left is a Toyota Venza ad that seems to come from adclick.g.doubleclick.net . I'd love to kill it.

• Options
    edited December 2013

@andys120 said:
    -Why isn't there a box for searching out specific forum topics, that would seem like a pretty basic and valuable tool?

-Why does my icon look like someone who has a bad STD and how do I get rid of it

The search "box" can be found under the Forums link up top to the left. But I usually use the magnifying glass for searches when I'm in a discussion or in Recent Discussions, My Bookmarks, etc.

You can upload a photo and use that for your avatar - that feature is in your Profile under the Gear.

The AM General default issue has come up. I requested pulling I Don't Like SUVs Why Do You out of the really dead archives for the forum opener, but no one seemed interested. ;)

• Options

@andys120 said:
    This sucker needs a lot of work.

I bookmarked the "My Bookmarks" page as my link in my browser favorites bar. I click on that and I'm autologged onto my open bookmarks to see if any show new posts.

• Options

@andys120 said:
    -Why does my icon look like someone who has a bad STD and how do I get rid of it, I find it very annoying? Is there any easy way to change or dump it,

Click your user name, then Edit Profile over at the right, then change picture.

• Options

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    The search "box" can be found under the Forums link up top to the left.

If you land on that page as an entry point, true. But with most of us using the Bookmarks page as the nearest equivalent to our old Watched Items page, there is no search box or browse dialog available on that. Another change that would be welcomed.