Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• I have been reading the group for a few months now and thought I would comment on a common posting. I have a vibration at 1100 rpm as I lightly step on the accelerator to maintain speed. I asked my service manager about it and he said it is common in the V6's and Chevy has known about it since the '99 model came out and they can't figure out how to fix it. That is what bothers me about it. I bought my truck in December (had to trade in my '97 Blazer because it was a piece of junk and cost my $5,000 in repairs in the last two years). I, of course, got a better job about a month after I bought it and could now afford a V-8 Z71 package. Oh well, I have happy with it overall. I would like to hear from some of you about your experiences with the V-6 Silverado.

P.S. Does anybody know a good tinting place in San Antonio? I am getting conflicting information from people I have talked to down here.

KC
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Posts: 283
    I have a 2K V6, 2WD, reg cab, long bed, auto - stripper - no vibrations. Also, know several people with the same or similar V6 truck - no vibrations.
    What is the profile of your truck? 2WD or 4WD, reg. cab.or ext. cab, auto or stick, etc.?
    Is the vibration in the body or the engine or trans? Do you feel it through the steering wheel or the seat of your pants? What kind of tires do you have?
    Use "Silverado V6" on the search feature to see some of the other comments on this.
    Also, we have a stripper site under "Base Model Pickups, Buying, Owning, Accessorizing" you might want to check out.
    I wouldn't let the dealer off the hook. Vibration on acceleration is one I have not heard about here yet. I'm no mechanic, but it sounds like something is loose (like motor mount/trans mount?) Is this at all related to steering or suspension? I'd try to determine if you can make the vibration go away on acceleration - like accelerating on a right or left turn, uphill or downhill, in 2nd or 3rd gear, etc.
    Good luck. Keep us posted. Inquiring minds want to know ;)
  • jpfltawjpfltaw Posts: 43
    in my 2000 rado ext 5.3 since 3000 mi, now have 12000 miles. Vibration was light at first, now you can definitly feel it in the seat. Also feel a slight shake at 70 mph.
  • willimjowillimjo Posts: 73
    Has been on hold the entire model year. Other than a few prototypes, I don't believe Chevy has built a single one. Yes, it's in the brochure and listed in the dealer's computer ordering system, but so is the FW1 option for a two position shock setting with the Z71, and they haven't delivered one of those either. If you really want the composite bed, it looks like you'll have to hold off and wait for a 2002 (at least).
  • Will put Traction on yes list.

A 4x4 for me would be overkill, sold the boat
    so no pulling anymore, only off road is road
    construction.

As for present truck, its on the 3rd set of
    tires in 12000miles. Org were Wrangler ST
    and came out of round, 2nd set was even worst,
    now its got Wrangler RT\S 255/70.
    All was done under warranty so no choice

KCpanther - have used Solar Tint on Nakoma or
    Rhapsody? - North Park Lincoln is a big customer.
    So far no problem with what was done
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    I have a 99 1500 LT Z71 with 31,000 miles on it, MSRP new was $34,000.

I am trading it in for a new Vette and am not happy with current wholesale prices. The best they can give me is $20,500. Thats a big drop for only 2 years.

I am almost paying full MSRP for the Vette, so I know that they have no reason to try to lowball me. I have checked with my other regular dealers and that is about the best anyone could do under the best conditions. They are lucky to turn around and get $22,000 for it once its on their lot. And believe me, there are plenty of them used ones on the lots right now.

Just wanted to share my grief and let you guys know the scoop so you are not as shocked as I was.

I guess I shoulda got a 2500 in the first place, right Tim?
  • michgndrmichgndr Posts: 160
    How about cleaning it up and selling it yourself? Almost certainly will get more than a dealer will offer.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    LOL....

actually 2500's do bring good money used here....as buyers have less to pick from.....unlike a billion used Z-71's...
    Good Luck on this one now!

hehe

- Tim
  • pogo11pogo11 Posts: 7
    Kansan

For the $500 certificate, I went to GMC.com and clicked on "Brochure" at the top of the page, and asked for brochures on Sierra and Silverado trucks. The brochures came in the mail, and the certificate came by email a few weeks later. The certificate wasn't advertised, it was a complete surprise. GM TV commercials here in California advertise the $2500 or low apr, I thought that was nationwide, but maybe its just regional.

Gator, you got a great deal, wish I'd been at the Truck Show for that certificate.

• smart99smart99 Posts: 48
    The $20,500 sounds pretty good to me. Here in Arkansas the 2000's with 10,000 to 15,000 miles top out about $23,000 trade in. The trucks have gone up by $7,000 or $8,000 and they bring the same trade in as the old ones did. When I got my 99 Z71 I got $23,000 trade in (for my 98 Z71) and had only paid $26,000. This is only a good deal for GM. But if they keep on they may price themselves out of the market.

What's the deal with the queervette, midlife crisis???
  • Just enjoy the vette like I'm doing.

Traded a 99 BMW 5 Series on a 2001 Vette
    in month wise was only a year, 7000 mile.
    Pre ordered the 2001 in 2000, and worked
    off MSRP. BMW lost $15,000. Chevy told
    me should try to sell because they didn't
    want the car since people coming into a
    chevy dealership weren't looking for that
    class of car. I looked at as no hassle
    expense - over and done with.
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Posts: 283
    pickups at about 5% per year (about $1500 on a $30K truck) but I think those days are gone for 2 reasons: 1) pickups have more competition from SUVs, 2) sales of all vehicles are slow. After 6 months of ownership and 6,000 miles on my stripper, my dealer would offer me $12K on the truck I paid $16K for on GMS. Anymore, I think you can count on 20% loss when you drive any vehicle off the dealers lot. Dealers can't move the new pickups, so they really don't need any used pickups either. The best plan is to trade in every year if you have the money, or keep the vehicle 10+ years if you get a good one.
  • lwittorflwittorf Posts: 96
    You better grab that 20500 and run as that is high for a 99 I just had GM buy back my y2k with 19000 on it and all they would go was 22000 and that was with all the extra's I had on it. That inc visor,penstripe.stainless rocker&wheel well,wood grain dash and other misc. I tried to get them to go higher but with the formula the BBB uses and the blue book that is where it stayed. I could have backed out but the pu was a piece of junk from day one. I now have a 01 and love it. msrp was just about the same as yours.
  • I've narrowed my truck selections to two very similar vehicles. Both are 2001 2wd Silverado 1500 LS extended cab with a 5.3L, 4 spd auto, same color, interior. They differ by the rear differential: one has a 3.73 locking differential but no tow package; the other has a 3.42 non-locking differential with a tow package. I would like to dress up the truck in the future with a 3-4" lift and larger diameter tires (30 or 31"). I intend to drive the truck daily, a 60 mile round trip mostly 50 to 75 mph unloaded. Most of my "hauling" wil be of the Home Depot/CostCo variety with a rare trip to the dump. Rare tow of a 5000 lb. boat and trailer if the Suburban isn't available.
    I'm looking for advice on the gear ratio choices and whether the tow package is a must (for the trans cooler). If this has been debated in the past (and I'm sure I'm not the first to wonder out loud) please point me into the abyss of archived discussions.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Your paying how much for your truck?

whats another $285 for the tow pkg. Get it save you headaches down the road from having one put on.
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    Thanks for the feedback guys:

Michgndr - regarding selling it privately, I gave that up years ago. After 31 vehicles, it gets pretty old if you know what I mean. I expect to lose some money on each exchange, I just don't like losing a LOT of money on each.

smart99 - Corvette has been my dream car since I was 10 years old. I can finally afford to have a new one now. Why do you call it "queer"? You don't have to be a drug dealin pimp to enjoy them. If you ever get a chance to drive a new C5, you'll know what I mean. Since the stock market is going in the tank, I decided to put my equity to something real, and enjoy it as it drops, rather than worrying about the rise and fall of a piece of paper.

I'll be getting another truck in fall (since we have real winters here), I'm just not sure what that is going to be yet. (2500 CC? Avalanche? C3?...) Something I'll have to think about while I'm driving my Vette this summer.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    If you plan to put larger tires on in the future go with the lower gears (3.73's). The larger tire raises your overall gear ratio.

Look at it another way - adding a tranny cooler is much easier (and cheaper) that changing out the rear end. Have the dealer do it before you take delivery. Should add about $200.

I have a 98 Tahoe with the 3.42 rear end - put 31 10.5 tires on the 1st day - stock tire was 235 75 15's. I wish I would have gotten the 3.73. When empty it performs good, but when I tow it could use a little bit more punch.

My 99 Silverado 4x4 has the 3.73 rear end. It feels much faster (although that could be because of the 270 hp 5.3L Vs 255 hp 5.7L)
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    I think the only person who would call it a queervette is someone is is jealous??

Go for it!

although now is the time to hold shares or buy more...but to each his own.

When it makes sense...and I don't have other things to do...I plan on buying a Convertable Vette as well. We have real winters...so I'd need something else as well. The dealer always has a nice one or two in the showroom. Had an awesome Red metallic (don't know the color) in the showroom. Salesman always says "when you gonna buy one?"...I always tell him.."if you sell cars long enough here...you will sell me one someday"

He had some 19 year old kid come in...and want to test drive it...he said we don't do test drives on Vettes..(figuring kid was a dreamer...plus they really don't do test drives on vettes!)..kid said well what if I put 20 grand down on one?...he ended up selling him that car..

Good Choice....enjoy the only True American sportscar.

- Tim
  • smart99smart99 Posts: 48
    You're right I'm jealous, I'm 6'5" and and can't fit in one of those rockets. Consequently I drive a big rig.
  • Hello Silverado owners.
    I just bought a 2001 LS Ex Cab 4.8L Silverado. The paint is Victory Red. I intend to Zaino it, but don't know if I have clear coat paint. I looked through the owner's manual and the Chevrolet web site and there is no mention of the type of paint. Forgive me if this was covered in previous threads, but I couldn't find any posts on the subject.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.