Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi TT Instrument Cluster

Comments

• To add, Audi service in San Jose says that the instrument cluster on my new TT 'WILL' fail. They replace the components with a different brand. Hope it fails before the warranty expires.
  • I was reading through most Audi TT forums throughout the web (including the world) Man, this meter is full of crap. I just bought a second hand Audi TT, Very very low mileage. 12400km (7450miles) but was a year 2000 model. Owner bought it, hardly drove it, worked overseas.

Meter was flashing when I bought it. 2 months later. Meter Kaput-ed on me.

First time this happened, was when I just got home. Car shut down and could not restart. Engine wont even click.
    Towed to Audi Service Center, they checked and replaced the battery. Said battery had failed.

Second time, 2 weeks later. Driving half way back from work, the car stalled and could not get it started again. It starts then after 10-15 seconds, dies out again. Got it towed back to the workshop. Guys checked first said was fuel pump. Later they changed it and said it was Meter cluster.

Went to send the local dealers the recall program but Audi regional office said they have not heard of such a recall or refit program.

Sent the Cluster over to BBA-Reman, they said they could not fix it. Wasnt the standard Power chip that failed, the Processor had failed.

Forced to buy a new unit. In Malaysia, these units are not cheap. Cost me RM$5965 + RM300 to fit and reprogram the unit. (~US$1600). Found out also that the Part number has changed. New unit superseeds the old unit. If the crap meter has no problem as what the dealers claim, why is there a super seeded unit !!??

Man, this car is nothing but trouble. Oh, and by the way, the previous owner changed the fuel pump and battery in February this year too.
  • My trip meter reset on me a few weeks ago but I never use it so I thought it just hit a limit and restarted. But then I was driving and the hours driven started blinking at me- I never touch that either, seems a useless little tool. Either one alone I wouldn't pay attention to, but after reading this... should I be expecting more soon to come? It's a 2002 w/ only 22k on it- it looks like they fail that fast (see above post on the 2000), but I want it fixed before it just dies in the middle of the road on me. :(
  • Yep, I got bitten by the cluster bug. My gas guage was reading full constantly. I thought it was the fuel sending unit but when Audi tested it they diagnosed the cluster. My warranty took care of it. I really have not had many problems at all with my TT. It is a 2001 225 QR. Love the way it drives and have decided against selling it. I will be keeping it for the long haul, problems and all. Huh, if you think this is expensive to fix go talk to some Porsche owners.
    ;)
    Oh, I am at 57,*** miles. Bought used with 16,*** in May 2004. Lovin' it so far!!
  • vobrienvobrien Posts: 1
    I have purchased a 2001 Audi TT very recently. Two out of the four dash clocks are broken. After checking up with my Audi dealer - it looks like the clocks have been replaced before. Does anyone know if I have grounds to get them replaced again - as I see that Audi UK have finally acknowledged there IS a fault with dashes on that model.
    Can anyone help me out with any advice?
    Thanks
  • yeljakyeljak Posts: 2
    I too just replaced my instrument cluster in my 2000 TT. I did the remove and replace myself with a factory exchange unit from the local dealer at a cost of $516.19. I had an independent audi tech program in the old current mileage for a cost of $60. If you do this make sure you have it reprogramed before you get 60 miles on the new unit as it can't have the mileage reset after that point It works perfectly now. My old unit was faulty along with a bad center display. If your center display is clear and bright I would have BBA Remanufacturing rebuild your original unit. I feel these people really know their stuff but they can not fix a bad center display. Their charge is $250. You do not have to have their rebuilts reprogramed because it is your original unit. www.bba-reman.com
    If you wish to jump on the class action suit game contact this firm. http://www.classcounsel.com/news/audi.html
    Also boys and girls...change that timing belt at 60,000 miles. There are a number of them breaking before the recommended change point of 105,000.
    These are great cars and not at all bad to work on. The factory manual is great and any special tooling is easy to fabricate. The fuel mileage is superb for the 180hp model and they are just a fine car to drive.
    And only buy Japanese if its a minivan, small SUV, or small truck. There has never been a Japanese classic sports car. Life is too short to be bored with what you drive for fun.
  • paulieb56paulieb56 Posts: 1
    My tt dashpod has started playing up with the usual faults. I'm looking to do a remove and replace myself and have BBA-Reman rebuild it for me. Problem is I don't know where to start in removing the dashpod. Have you any instructions on how to do this?? Is it a relatively easy job?? Any help gratefully received!!
  • yeljakyeljak Posts: 2
    Get a copy of the Bentley Publications Official Factory Repair Manual on CD. Don't try repairs on this TT without it. Go to www.bentleypublishers.com. Good luck.
  • mb67mb67 Posts: 1
    I'm also having problems with my 2000 TT's instrument cluster. The tachometer is stuck at 2 when the car is off, and shows higher RPMs than the car is actually doing when moving. The dealership says I need to replace the cluster. My extended warranty says they won't replace it because the tachometer is analog, and has nothing to do with the digital module of the panel. Does anyone know if the analog gauge is connected to the module of the panel? Dealership wants $1200 to replace the instrument panel, and that they can't "get into" the tachometer gauge to fix it.
  • sgt967sgt967 Posts: 1
    All of the gauges on the instrument cluster are electronic - including the tachometer and speedometer.
  • If you are having a problem with the LCD display not reading correctly or many /most of the lights are not working then you have a bad instrument cluster. Also your speedometer and fuel gauge may be displaying incorrectly.

Typically Audi has refused to replace these units if the vehicle is out of warranty. However in the UK they recalled all TTs from 2000-2003.

If you go to the dealer and ask them to use the "good will" money allowed by Audi to fix these problems, well you will be disappointed as the dealers hold on to that money and ONLY use it for their best and frequent customers.

So if you run into dead ends and you think you might have to pay the $900-$1200 dollars to have it repaired, well dont do it quite yet.

I have 145,000 miles on my 2001 TT coupe and I got Audi USA to pay for the repair. If you want details as to what I did to get them to pay without lawyers, email me and I will share the details.

Ed. EMAIL- ed.gentile@gmail.com
  • ramoncramonc Posts: 10
    Hello. I own a 2001 TT, 180 hp roadster. Have had to replace the instrument cluster in 2002 and now in 2007 it is acting up again. The fuel gauge does not correspond to actual quantity. Audi USA has refused to address this issue. The dealer offered to pay for half. This is not a solution. Thankfully my extended guarantee coverage does include this expensive repair. I suggest anyone with a 2000-2003 TT start complaining to Audi USA and or join the class action suit. This cluster is vital to the car. It is not a simple part and Audi UK has properly taken action and will repair it at their costs. Audi USA may be saving money but they are creating a public relations nightmare and, my estimate, over 100 bucks of bad publicity for each buck customers have to pay. Let everyone call or write to Audi USA to address this issue and step up like a quality and responsible company should. Bad reputation will hurt sales of all Audi models. This repair costs them very little. Do not delay on this repair as further damage may happen. Check your fuel usage carefully. That was my first clue. I almost ran out of fuel on the highway. Check other posts for past steps taken to help you resolve this issue. Keep calling and writing and complaining about this. It is important. I have not had any other serious problems. I enjoy driving the car specially with the top down.. I did install a different exhaust for better sound. Sweet sound with a Borla muffler. Good luck.
  • I have a 2001 Audi TT Quattro and recently the odometer has been jumping up in mileage.

My commute to work is 10 miles ...when I get to work I notice the odometer shows that I've driven 85 miles. Some days that 10 miles to work equates to 3 miles. Other days, 300+ miles.

What's going on?
    And how do I get it fixed?
    Any recommendations to non-Audi dealer shops in Northern California that can fix my problem.

:surprise:
  • My tt instrument cluster is dead. All dials are blank or pegged at zero. I'd appreciate any help to get dealer to cooperate.

Thanks,

Scott R. Callison
  • Now having same problem with my 2001 TT, Gas gage went out 3 weeks ago (reads 1/4 when empty), then airbag light came on, then faded out when cold, then after 2 days idle, all is dead, display says fuse!

Please provide any info you can to help, thanks, car has 97K miles.
  • I had the cluster replaced last month. Audi USA and the dealer refused to give me any consideration at all. The cost, about $1000. Thank goodness that I bought an extended warranty when I bought the 2002 in April this year. My out of pocket was $75. It would have been the whole bill. However, the extended warranty paid to the used car dealership was about $2500. So I am still in the hole. Now the next time it goes out, I will probably be break even..
    I would suggest that the California owners contact the firm in SF handling the class action filing. This may help. The Audi USA customer liason said that I should keep the receipts just in case a class action suit is filed. At this point, I do not think one has been done based on the web info as of Jan 08. Best of luck to all of you will cluster problems, Or should I say Cluster F*ck problems. In Texas
  • I would suggest that everyone of us with audi cluster problems report them to the us gov at www.safercar.gov You register the complaint at the site that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration uses to track such problems, as they control the recall. I am going there now. Please follow me. In Texas.
  • More update with safecar the feds website for the cluster problem. They claim nobody has had any problems with the instrument clusters. They post such things under Volkswagen brand. So if you really want to stir things up, post your problems with the safercar database. In Texas
  • dragonutsdragonuts Posts: 1
    i have an audi tt 02 and my instrument cluster goes crazy,but only on cold mornings. dial needles flicker, lights flash and computer makes bleeping noises,is this bad can anyone tell me this will not be expensive
  • bdnewnanbdnewnan Posts: 9
    If your Lcd display is missing some display elements, then you need to go to the local audi dealer. A settle of a national suit extends the warranty on your car, and the dealer will replace the instrument cluster. Should be without charge to you. In Texas