Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS Brakes

heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
I need to replace the brakes on my LS. Going to do it myself. I've read about a special tool that is necessary when working with the calipers on the LS. Does anyone have info on what this tool is?? Where I might get it?? Thanks

Comments

• Any suggestions on how to fix a strange noise in the brake pedal assembly of 03 V8? When the pedal is depressed with the engine warm and on a warm day, it sounds like old rubber creaking -- not a squeak. It naturally goes away on the dealer's lot and makes no noise when engine is cold.
  • lamarlamar Posts: 9
    My 02 V8 does the same thing. I haven't found out why.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    The universal version will work but not nearly as well as a dedicated Ford version from NAPA. It's a bit more expensive but probably worth it.
  • cwzcwz Posts: 72
    Only need it for the back brakes. I got mine at Napa. It is a square box (2"x2")looking thing with two tabs in various positions on each square to be universal for different makes and models brake calipers
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
  • notnutznotnutz Posts: 2
    My dash light indictaed right tail lamp out- I changed the bulb and there is no power to the socket. Before I leave it at an electrical shop I would like to see if anyone had a similar problem?
  • aiutoaiuto Posts: 46
    I would check to see that all connnections are good. Try another bulb.

Also post this to the other LS bulletin board. More people look there. Good luck.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    Oh, but when you post to that "other" bulletin board, bring money and no bad attitude.

There is nothing free there, and much besides.
  • I am not sure if you are still having this issue, but I have an 02 V8, had it at the dealerships and documented 4 times about the brake pedal crunching noise and every service advisor told me that it was how the car was made and I argued time and time again that I couldn't see how a nearly 50k car that was suppose to be luxury made this noise and there was no fix. About a month ago, I went in for my oil change and a very old friend of mine is now a tech at the dealership and pulled me aside and told me that they have since discovered that changing out the master cylinder & the brake booster fix the problem. I was able to get it covered under my extended warranty, I had to pay the $100 deductible which sucked b/c it had been documented for a very long time, but since having it replaced, the noise is gone. I am now having problems w/my brakes squealing and this is the 2nd set of pads they have put on in 3 wks. I hope that info helps.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Try a few (2-3) heavy stops from highway speed. Good chance squeal will go away.
  • crankkycrankky Posts: 45
    I was browsing all of the message boards for an answer to my problem and found your message. I have a 2001 Ford Windstar which, while certainly not a Lincoln, is at least part of the Ford family.

We've had 4 brake boosters put on and the problem that was originally described (rubbery creaking sound) persists.

Is that the problem that you had on your car? How did you convince them to change the master cylinder? I also have the Ford extended warranty, but the dealer insists that it's bad brake boosters (even after 4 new ones) and that the master cylinder is fine.
  • I have a 2003 LS and the power brake pedal sounds like squeaky rubber every time it is depressed. I have sprayed it with silicone spray, WD-40, etc. and it still squeaks. I have taken the rubber bellows from around the shaft and saturated the shaft itself with silicone spray, nothing seems to work. The sound is inside the car, not under the hood.
    Someone please help.
    Thanks, Shag2
  • Thanks a bunch.I believe that probably would fix the problem because I have lubricated every thing down there that I can reach. My warranty just ran out so this is going to be a battle royal to try to get it covered due to past complaints. Thanks for the response.
    I am in Charleston,SC by the way.
  • Can someone help me?
    I've had my 00 v6 for 3 yrs and every once in a while I attempt to fix the brake squeaking I've changed pads, rotors, etc. and no luck! Does anyone know the solution I would appreciate any help or advice.
    Try using an anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads where the caliper piston hits it. And every once in a while you should do 2 or 3 hard stops. You could also try a different brand of pad. Porterfield R4S street pads work great and produce much less dust than the stock pads.
  • 02linc02linc Posts: 11
    I have a 02 lincoln LS V8. I absolutely love this car but im a little scared of the problems its going to give me. :P Once in a while the engine will overheat and it makes a loud turbine noise and then will eventually cool back down to normal temp. Why is this? And also i have taken my car in 5 times because the front left brake is making a rattling noise when i go over bumps but it wont rattle if i have the brake on? :confuse: PLEASE help!! it is much appritiated!
  • 02linc02linc Posts: 11
    I have an 02 Lincoln LS V8 that i absolutly love but im alittle scared of what problems its going to give me. I have been taking it into a mechanic to figure out what is making a rattling noise on the front left brake. They think it is the caliper and they said it could cost up to $300 bucks..Any suggestions? It also over heats once in awhile and make a loud turbine type noise and will eventually slowly cool down to normal temp. Why is this and can i do anything to make it stop overheating??
    Sounds like a bad thermostat which is the first thing to replace since it's the least expensive. After that you're looking at the cooling fan.

Not sure about the brake noise but I'd replace the pads first and make sure all the clips are in place on the new ones - and check all the components for anything that's loose. The front sway bar bushings are prone to wear out but that's more of a clunk than a rattle.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Posts: 793
    Actually, from my experience it is the fan. My fan was doing that for about a year before it finally gave out. Then it needed the fan motor and hydraulic pump! I didn't know it was the fan until my favorite, straight-shooting dealer told me that was one of the symptoms.
    I was afraid of that but was trying to be optimistic that it might be the much less expensive thermostat.