Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Electrical Problems

terrykemmterrykemm Posts: 1
When I close the tailgate or side door the delay relay does not always work. Sometimes the interior lights will go out and other times they will not. Any ideas of a resolution for this?

Thanks

Comments

• dmnifongdmnifong Posts: 2
    Take wd40 or crc or simmillar and spray it into the place that looks like a horozonatal v that is where the latch method is located then slam the sliding door 3 or 4 times. This will probably fix your problem. My windstar does the same thing and this solves the problem then I have to redo it every week or so. If that does not work then try the same thing on the two latches on your back gate.
  • 88fan88fan Posts: 2
    About a month ago I hit a bump in the road. When I hit the bump, my radio and entertainment center(VCR combo) quit working. I checked the fuses and #6 was blown. When I replace it, it immediately blows. I have tried a larger amp fuse and have went all the way to a 30 amp which is double what was in it before. Has anyone experienced this before? Any help would be appreciated.
  • stuckistucki Posts: 1
    After parking the Windstar the tail lights remain on. If I get back in and pump the brake they will go off. However, many times I will get out and forget to check the tail lights, the result being a dead battery after a couple of hours. Has anyone suffered this problem and if so what is the fix?

Thanks much, Le
  • I have exactly this problem, right now as I type. Were you able to resolve this? thanks
    Bill D
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    I used a little WD-40 (like) lubricant on the moving parts and brake sensor on the brake pedal.

That fixed the problem.
  • I tried checking the fuses under the dash and none are busted additionally, I checked both tail light bulbs and they are still good. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • when you find out let me know i have the same problem with a 99 also my interior light flashes as well
  • My windstar just passed 140,000 miles and at the same time all this happened:
    ABS light - ON
    Parking Light - ON
    OD off light - flashing
    Spedometer - not working
    Odometer - not working displays ------

Does anybody have any ideas? As I said, all of this came on or quit working at the same time.

Let me know. Thanks.
  • smcsloansmcsloan Posts: 1
    i am frustrated!!!!! i bought a manual for this van , and it doesn't help me. both low beams are out. changed them. it worked. two weeks later same thing. changed again. still not working. checked fuses , replaced headlight switch. nothing. the first time , my hi beams worked. now they only work if i hold it in "flash" position. someone said to check wires. where would i do that at? i am 30 yr old widowed mom of three. so i am on limited income. is this worth my time to fix? any help or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated. thank you
    Master Cylinder leak!
  • Did you ever find out about your situation? Our 2002 Windstar is just above 125,000 and while driving home at night we had:

Battery light on
    ABS brake light on
    Airbag light on
    brake light on
    radio went on & off
    head lights, brake lights, signal lights went off
    And the van started to hesitate as we were 1 mile from home.

Would like any information. Thanks
  • dchalkdchalk Posts: 3
    Our 03 Windstar Limited @ 72K miles is experiencing a lot of electrical issues. The most bothersome right now is that the outside temperature gauge is acting up again. A reputable garage replaced the sensor and it worked for for a few weeks and now is acting up again. When it is 75 degree F out, it may show a temp of -11 degrees. We also get the annoying reset chime. This usually occurs after the battery goes dead and we have to drive the car in a circle to reset compass.

I took it back to garage and they gave up. They think it is a bad module but are reluctant to spend any more time or money on this repair.

Any ideas as to what is causing this erroneous reading? The compass is working fine BTW!!
  • klkkidsklkkids Posts: 1
    I own a 1995 Windstar, basic model. I have a problem with the ground wire to the starter, but only occasionally. Periodically, it will act as if the battery is dead when I attempt to start my van. If I manipulate this ground wire attachment to the starter with a wrench, it works fine for a period, then needs to be messed with again. I have tried cleaning the connection attachments/wires. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Would changing the battery ground wire help? Thank you.
  • I have a 2003 Windstar, the interior lights flash on and off whenever we are driving. My power sliding door on the driver's side will not shut on auto no more, it keeps opening back up when it tries to close. another problem the dealer cannot fix.
  • I had the same problem and discovered that it was a blown fuse. Check the owner's manual, but I think the location number is 10, and I believe is a 15A fuse. If you replace it and it blows out again, you have an electrical problem that needs to be looked at by a mechanic.
  • vipaymivipaymi Posts: 1
    I bought a windstar 1991 and the windows from the door won't go down. If anyone knows a reason for that we will apreciate the tip to fix them :cry:
  • mykgmykg Posts: 1
    I disconnected the negative battery terminal, placed a test light between the terminal and the loose cable and the light came on. Indicating a possible short, I believe. I removed/replaced fuses until the light went out to isolated the faulty circuit and found that the fuse where the previous owner tied in the radio was the potential culprit. After pulling the radios power lead and replacing the fuse, the test light blinked and I could hear a clicking sound under the dash at the same frequency as the blinking test light. It was fuse #29 - Interior lighting, etc. Does anybody have any ideas about what my next step(s) should be, please? Thanks.
  • jnmtpcjnmtpc Posts: 1
    I believe that your problem may be in the headlight switch on the steering wheel. ie: the combo hi-low and turn signals. This part could be expensive so I would rule out other problems before changing it. This may require removal of the steering wheel to change on some model cars. It would be unusual to have bad wiring although it is possible. Checking the wiring is a lengthy process and can become quite expensive. i recommend bringing the car to a DEALER with a good rep. This will cost you about $100. to diagnose the problem but they will pinpoint it and tell you how much it will cost to fix it before they start the work. As for your question; "Is it worth fixing?" only you can answer that. It is entirely up to you.
  • king12king12 Posts: 2
    there might me a short circuit or something might be groundsing out you should fix the problem and not use a bigger amps fuse this could cause your car to go on fire the fuse prevent a fire if the line is overloaded with a bigger fuse it could melt the wires then cause a fire
  • Hello Folks,
    I started my Ford 1995 windstar and there was a wiff of smoke coming from behind the steering wheel maybe from the starter switch assembly. I turned it off and waited for the smoke to dissipate (5 minutes). Then I started the vehicle and made it home (45 minute drive) Later the van turns over well with a healthy battery but the engine does not fire. Just like a no gas situation. The starter tries but the engine just does not run. What should I investigate?

Please also note that I had recently changed my starter solenoid after what seemed like a dead battery situation only that all the lights worked well and strong. The vehicle worked well for a week after the solenoid change before the smoking issue above.
  • my 97 3.8 windstar started this bad idle low rpm when stopped in gear, like at stop sign or light and kept stalling.it got worse as it warmed up. i took it to my mechanic he said its :mad: to expensive to start changing parts, found no codes,he said take it home and try changing wires, clean fuel injectors,look for vac leaks,intake leaks. so i started looking, found this valve on front of manifold there are two of them, one had a blown diaphragm. they are on a intake manifold called split port induction.i think it only came on engine years 96,97,98. so i did a mickey mouse repair job and it worked very good. i found this part on ebay . intake control valve not idle control valve thats another part on the thottle body. its a dealer part at around $270.00.i have not ordered the part ($70). soon i hope.
  • My 2000 windstar just passed 80,000 miles and at the same time all this happened:
    ABS light - ON
    Parking Light - ON
    OD off light - flashing
    Spedometer - not working
    Odometer - not working displays ------
    The 10amp fuse that controls all of this keeps blowing. I had a service tech unplug part of my wire harness under the air filter box from a square aluminum box. This fixed the problem for about 5 miles! So i left the wire unplugged from the box and took the van to another service tech that blamed a leak from the master cylinder. he fixed the leak left the wire unplugged and the fuse quit blowing and all gages started working again. the problem that remains is now because the wire is still unplugged i have no horn or cruise control and when I plug the wire back in to the box i blow the fuse again.
    Does anybody have any ideas?
    Let me know. Thanks.
    The leaking brake fluid make have damaged the wiring, repair or replace this wiring.

Good Luck.
  • Absolutely - I had the same problem. There's likely a fuse that's blown in the fusebox in the engine (pop the hood and it should be on your right side, assuming the engine set up is the same as my 2002). Can't remember the location of the fuse off the top of my head, but it was one of the blue fuses in my box. Pull the cover off the fuse box and look down at them. You should be able to see if the elements are either blown, or look corroded. Just pop it out, take it to the autoparts store for a replacement. Once you replace that fuse, you shouldn't have any more problems.
  • rs4cdrs4cd Posts: 1
    ....this is becoming quite dangerous. On many occasions this past 6 months the vehicle is stalling while driving. There are occasional shutters that the van makes. My first reaction was Water in the Fuel line or Spark Plug. My mechanic(s) have run Diagnostic Tests (5 in all) and are unable to locate the problem. I have spent over $700 in diagnostic tests (Ugh). Also while driving at night, the headlight will dim and then brighten back up. This does not happen at the same time as the shuttering (or at least I don't think so). When the van stalls out, it will do so unannounced at any given speed in any given traffic condition. I usually pull off to the side of the road, turn everything off and have no problem starting the vehicle back up. My mechanic suggests that we start with changing out the basics and working our way up. This could get quite expensive for something that sounds easy to find. Suggestions??
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Yikes, $700 in diagnostic tests and all you get out of it is: start with changing out the basics and working our way up (whatever that means).

Has it been to a Ford dealer for a diagnosis?
  • sal26sal26 Posts: 3
    New member hi! Big DIY guy wondering how to fix my pass side rear view turn signal light and how to find the keypad code without going to the $100.00 hr dealer. Lastly how easy is it to find performance parts for subtle modifications ie. brakes, cold air intake, suspention Any suggestions?
  • sal26sal26 Posts: 3
    Picked up this van and love it so far. A few questions to anyone that can help. The right turn signal indicator on the rearview went out recently easy fix or do I have to take it to the dreaded dealer? 2. How can I get the keypad code without using the dealer? Lastly any modifications avail ie. suspention, cold air intake, brakes?