Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    Florida Times Union review

(I know both of you are still sore mountainowner - y'all get well soon).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• We had to drive from southern CA to St. Louis on the 11th and just returned today (19th) in our 2002 Mountaineer V8 (all options except 4WD, running boards, sunroof). We left with only 400 miles on it. With two adults and luggage and some other items, the mileage steadily improved, reaching a high of 19.0 MPG, with an average speed of 73 (speed limits were either 65, 70, and 75 for most of the trip).
  • After several dead-ends, I sent off an email to the "Owner Connection" department of Ford Motor regarding the mis-identified part number in their accessories brochure for a "Full Front End Cover" for my 02 MT. I also informed them of the lame excuses I rec'd and how I was even told to check back in 6 months when theres a better chance the part would be available. Heck, if its in the brochure, "its available". 48 hours later I rec'd a return email from the Customer Relationship Ctr at Ford apologizing for the inconvenience(s) and the correct part number which is 1L9Z19A414BA. This is a more lengthy part number for the 2002 model than advertised in the accessories guide. The dealership called me this week (to my surprise) to tell me that they have the part in stock and I could stop by when convenient. Even the price was less than the older covers!!! I'll hold further comment until I pickup the cover this weekend. It was nice to finally get the "Customer Service" I'm paying for. This was not the case starting out and I made lots of noise about it too.
  • kbaerkbaer Posts: 16
    For anyone who may be interested in the above, I just received a response back from the Mountaineer Product manager. Currently the combination of the Auxilliary A/C and Moonroof is unavailable. However it will be available beginning in the Spring of 2002. Also the telescoping wheel and Stability control should be available before the end of the calendar year. It was not made clear to me whether they meant calendar 2001 or 2002.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    Had a 93 Explorer. It was definately a "better idea" from Ford (especially for the time). I found the power modest but adequate, and the ride, punishing. Otherwise, it was very well done, great interior, good stereo, reliable, and the perfect size (not too little and not to big). Now that the power is up and the new ind. suspension is in place....seems like this car ought to be just about perfect. I'm shopping next week and hope it's true.....good ride, good power, and the perfect size.
  • bajasbajas Posts: 14
    A couple of questions - I am close to purchasing a 2002 Mountaineer but noticed the rear hatches on most of them are not centered - meaning the clearance is different. Kind of bad fit and finish - has anyone had one adjusted? Second, I opened the rear passenger door and a bunch of water drained from the bottom of the door. Does it collect there normally or do you think there might be a drainage issue with this particular vehicle. I know these are nits but I am getting ready to dump a bunch of money and I would like to think I am doing the right thing. Thanks!!
  • Can anyone tell me if they have information on crash test results for the 2002 explorer. It seems everyone is talking how nice this SUV is but not thinking about safety? I'm concerned as I own a 2000 F150 and it came in last on the off set crash test! I was very surprised to see toyota to come up the best out of all the large trucks as they just jumped on the band wagon for large trucks. Ford has been making trucks for years and my F150 looks like a very bad design if saftey is a concern.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    The IIHS did not officially test the '02 Explorer/Mountaineer in their offset crash test. The reason according to them was that Ford is currently making structural changes to the Explorer's design so as to improve crashworthiness. They will test the Explorer when these design changes have been completed and implemented.

The 1995 to 2001 Explorer's results are as follows:
    HTTP://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/95030.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Thanks for the info on the crash test data. So I guess I will wait for Ford to fix or make the new explorer better. I'm getting tired of everyone telling me My F150 was on the news showing it failed the crash test. I don't want another poor designed vehicle for my family.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Andrew, others:

Are you saying that Ford is re-designing some of the structure of the 2002 Explorer so that it would perform better in the offset crash test? My God, didn't Ford realize that this test existed? They didn't design for it? If that is truly the case they are a bunch of morons.

Where did you hear this information?
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Yes, apparently that was the case. They haven't even started, it seems. It looks like the modifications are scheduled for later this year. It is odd that they didn't design it from the start since this Explorer is an all-new design and usually (major) structural modifications completed after the vehicle platform has already been established are pricey.

Here is the information that the IIHS published in their latest release:

"The Institute didn't test the new 2002 Ford Explorer along with this group of vehicles because structural modifications intended to improve its offset crash test performance are scheduled for later this year. The modified Explorer design will be tested when it becomes available."

http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releases/2001/pr091101.htm

I hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • I've had my new mountaineer for 2 1/2 weeks. My rear hatch is fine. It rained for 5 days straight the first week I had the vehicle. I didn't have any problems with water drainage on the front or rear doors. I believe it could be that particular vehicle. I've been very pleased with my mountaineer so far.
  • I just bought a 2002 explorer, 4wd, 3rd seat,tow,v-8,rear air,running boards,6 cd changer.
    This is one nice SUV went over the Colorado rockies from Denver to Grand Junction & back what power for the mountains! Ride fit and finish excellent! We even went for a little bit of 4 wheeling in western Colorado.
    I hope the crash tests are not as bad as it would seem this early in the game!
  • I am looking for a cat-back dual exhaust system for my explorer.
    Does anyone know a good after market company for this
  • I've never seen a dual set up. Borla makes a single high flow version though. If I remember correctly the whole shebang is around $1200, although you can also buy just pieces of the system. You should look at systems that are by reputable sources and not try to cobble bits and pieces together because you want the dual look. It doesn't serve a purpose in some cases to just open up the exhaust because it isn't the bottleneck in the system. Sometimes it's inlet flow. In other cases reducing the back pressure can have a detrimental effect on performance.
  • gregb5gregb5 Posts: 82
    I have been checking and have not found any available for the '02 yet. Borla says check back with them in a few months.
    Please post the info if you find any.
  • toirontoiron Posts: 2
    I looked at a 02 Mountaineer and also had water fall on the groung when I opened the driver side front and rear door. Sales rep was there and didn't have an explanation.????
  • bajasbajas Posts: 14
    OK, now that I've gotten your attention - I have a 2002 Mountaineer that emits a foul odor after driving, especially after hard acceleration. It only has about 500 miles on it. My question is, is this some coating or rustproofing burning off or is this my tranny or rear end barbecueing itself? Thanks!
  • I just purchased the 2002 Explorer Limited-V8. I've had always heard that any new vehicle should be broken in during the first 1000 miles by going easy on the speedometer and not exceeding a certain speed. However, the owner's manual does not really give any guidelines. It just states to travel at varying speeds for the first 1000 miles. Any sugguestions?
  • mazman1mazman1 Posts: 229
    1. Dont bend the speedo needle on the high end. In other words, dont make a habit of 85+ mph.

2. Dont jack rabbit off a green light.. or burn rubber starting or stopping.

3. short trips ( less than 10 miles) should not be the majority of your driving. Take it on the highway!

4. If you really want to help the engine, change the oil and filter first time at 1,000 - 1,500 miles to get the filings out of the system. I know the manual says 7,500, and the dealer probably says 3,000 or 5,000, but remember they make more money if you have to buy a new one in a few years. An oil change is $20. Do it.

5. Use regular (87 octane) fuel only. The higher octane stuff is a waste of money and can cause a buildup of deposits on the cylinders and plugs... no, really, its true.

6. Use the A/C and heater a few times to make sure it is working and see how they affect the drivability and accelleration.

7. Crank the stereo up to make sure the speakers work at the high end...

enjoy!