Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

what state are you buying

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    no1b4me1no1b4me1 Member Posts: 41

ILL

• Options

I would be shooting for 800 to 1100 below dealers invoice price plus finding dealers giving the 750 flex cash and if there is the market cash of 500... take that to./ Start your target price on the higher end number and work down making your berst deal the last 2 days, last day of any month..

Below is a earlier post i posted.. It may help you get started. Once you do your homework you need to figure out a target price. Your area could be only 800 to as high as1200 below invoice price , excluding any incentives and rebates. Below is how you go about getting the best possible price

.....................................Cont........................

• Options
    edited April 2014

This should help get you started. Go back and read thu the past 2 months for a idea on pricing..

Make a list of all the dealerships you are willing to drive to , take a Bus, Train etc. This is a 2 step process. Homework and car negotiations are done on different days.. You never try to do both the same day trust me... Ive been doing this over 43 years with unbelievable success. 1st step is doing your homework... like back in school very important. Limited dealership may hurt you in the end but if you play the game right you will do better than most in your area.. Buying a vehicle is like a game of poker never show your Hand til the very end. Negotiate hard and be firm or dealers will not give you there best price. When a dealer thinks your like every other uneducated buyer they will win in the price wars.. Your not the one thou.....

Our forum buyers get the best possible price.. Why????? We help each other with pricing and share dealer info. Folks like Joe..... who just walks into a dealership is clueless of his surrounding and area prices / Rebates and incentives.. Were 5 steps ahead of him. we know already what a good target price is . We done our pre homework and are ready to buy that moment if dealership agree's to meet OUR price or come close...... Thats your leverage whether your walking into dealerships or buying via emails, and direct calls to the internet managers..

Call Every dealerhip on your targeted list. Ask the phone person that answers the Name , Number and Email address of the Internet manager. Then ask who can answer this question. Does your dealership have flex cash to give if i finance thru honda? how much is it ? Are there any other cash incentives to buy / finance this vehicle ? What are your dealerships doc fee charge? Remember these are quick calls your just gathering info do not tell anyone you are buying yet.. this is Homework. If they ask about buying tell them you have not decided on buying you will call back the mgr. or his internet staff when your ready.

Call your Ins. CO. get there Number/ fax numbers so you have it ready for the dealership that earns your business. tell ins, what your buying maybe get a price.

Always good idea to get outside credit approval first.. Penn Fed credit union very low rates best in the country..

Once your target dealerships have gave you this valuable info.. your ready to negotiate and buy.

Call/ email all dealerships that are offering flex cash first. If your calling speak only to the internet mgr if possible. otherwise negotiate thru there Internet dept staff.. Do not Negotiate with any floor salesman you will get lied to.. and get the run around..

Once you start you buying process.. YOU are buying this vehicle that moment. Thats your leverage.

I think a starting price to buy at 1000 below invoice taking into consideration each dealerships doc fee charge is more than fair, if by the end of the month you cant get this number i would re-adjust your asking price lower..... to make the sale.. This is how you negotiate..

Dealers Doc fee of 399 = your asking price to buy is 1399 below invoice Excludes flex cash

Dealers doc fee of 499 = your asking price ..............1499... Excludes Flex.

This makes the dealers doc fee charge a wash on the bill of sale . doc fees are dealer profit thats it.

Call each dealership tell each manager. for x price excluding flex cash / and any other incentives i will buy said vehicle from your dealership right now and leave you a credit card deposit to show i'm serious.. Make dealer comitt with a yes or no on price.. Tell all managers your price earns your business today otherwise you are still shopping other dealerships leave a contact/ email number.. If there are only five dealerships in your targeted area pricing will not be as good. make your best deal out of the lot.. If you have a higher volume store try to close deal with them first. high volume dealerships can sell cheaper..

Your offer price to buy should always include the dest/ charge.. Make sure dealers are aware of this it makes for less confusion. All added accessories are to be bought at dealers invoice price and not there msrp on those items.. This you must tell all dealerships if you want add on's .

• Options
    plalaplala Member Posts: 16

Yes, it is financing through honda to get rebate of 1250. My case has also trade in which I have to figure out how to take it out without taking any loss. I am thinking about going with price minus trade ins. Does it make sense Brian?

• Options

@cutterbob said:
    Got quotes for a 2014 CR-V EX-L FWD With Navigation from couple of dealers in Dallas area. The best I got so far is $26,500 + TTL if I finance with Honda. Any ideas if this is a good deal?

How much of this price is rebate and incentive money????

• Options

@plala said:
    Yes, it is financing through honda to get rebate of 1250. My case has also trade in which I have to figure out how to take it out without taking any loss. I am thinking about going with price minus trade ins. Does it make sense Brian?

Plala,

I'm not trying to confuse you just want to help and make sure dealer dont try to rip you off any more money than you have to spend.. .. Selling dealer must tell you how they are arriving at a 1250 rebate. If your vehicle is worth 1800 or 1900 hundred and dealer will offer you 1400 take it. That 1400 gets reduced of the sale price of the new vehicle reducuing your states sales tax.

Your old car may need brakes, rotors, timing belt , tune up, front end work, tires, etc. Not to many people are going to buy a car this old that does every day driven.

If infact you are getting 1250 rebate and agreed vehicle selling price of 24,750 with dest/ charge included make the deal. Other dealers may offer you less money on your trade. Not a car dealers want to sell either..

• Options
    cutterbobcutterbob Member Posts: 8

@brian125 said:
    How much of this price is rebate and incentive money????

Brian,
    I don't have the breakup, but the dealer emailed $26,500 as the final price with everything but TTL. Following are the add-ons they mentioned that are already installed and included in the price:
    'pro-pack' (cargo tray, wheel locks,mud guards),
    Pin stripe
    Window tint

• Options
    edited April 2014

cutterbob,

Email this dealer back for total price breakdown... let them know you will buy today right this minute ..... if you could agree with dealership on lowering there price 400 more dollars.. Securing this price with a credit card deposit.. til you get down to the dealership.. Tell dealership 400 dollars earns your business today. speak only to the Internet sales manager when trying to close your deal...

Your wiggle room in this deal is.... dealers doc fee charge, over priced pro pack, and dealer is using rebates from honda not his profit margin to lower this vehicle

Just looking at your numbers your at 1734 below invoice price. Good price. Again Find out about incentives and rebates. Then deduct this dealerships doc fee charge off that 1734 price. that would represent your real buying number.. How much is dealer charging you for the pro pack? Do i want this package? if not dealer finds the vehicle you want.. Its your hard earned 30k your plucking down. He needs to earn your buisness not vehicles you dont want.

Pro pack should be bought at dealers invoice price not full msrp price..

• Options
    cutterbobcutterbob Member Posts: 8

Thanks much Brian. Now I have more info to go talk to the dealership and see if they can do better than this. I will update my findings tomorrow.

• Options

If you walk into this dealership apply the same tactic as if you are buying on the phone. Your leverage at any dealership is...... I will buy it from you right NOW meet my price or i walk.. Dealer chases you and not the otherway around...

• Options

Thanks Brian. I am going to dealer on tomorrow and see if he can offer or sale at this price== 24750-1250 = 23500 + tax + doc + Gov Fee for 2014 CRV AWD EX. I will update with findings

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I was at a small town dealer today and sat in an EX-L on the showroom and my wife drove an LX. Nice rigs - it's easy to see why they sell so well. The LX was pushing $26k up this way, but we didn't talk numbers at all, just wanted to try one out.

• Options
    don_ncdon_nc Member Posts: 9

Does anyone have any recent data for either a EX or EX-L (FWD) in the Raleigh, NC area ?

• Options
    penny30penny30 Member Posts: 3

Learnt a lot from this forum. Thank you so much for all of your help, especially @nkch17‌, @Stever@Edmunds and @brian125. Finally got my new car CRV LX AWD yesterday. Since my credit history is short, I couldn't get financed from Honda and don't have the $500 flex cash. Here are the details.
    sale price------------------- $22164 (with dest fee and all-season mats)
    tax---------------------------$1226 (I am in WI and the tax is 5.5%)
    other fees-------------------$309 (include doc fee 135, license, title and so on).
    the OTD price--------------$23700.

• Options
    lairdwdlairdwd Member Posts: 56

Hi folks. I'm shopping for a 2014 CR-V EX in the Boston, MA area. Even though I'll be signing a 3/36 lease, I'm trying to negotiate the cost of the vehicle separate from the rest of the lease details. Unfortunately, as soon as I mention the word "lease", the dealers think that means cart blanche to throw out a monthly number that is completely detached from any kind of price negotiation on the vehicle itself. lol.

That said, once I refocus the sales folks, all the guys up here are saying 750 flex cash + 500 dealer cash available for April still. I got a quote of 23277 with doc fee of $369 . All rebates priced into quote. How much more room you think I got on this one? Dealer invoice is 25520, and loaded to the gills with inventory. Thoughts?

• Options
    ashley_b1ashley_b1 Member Posts: 10

So much great info from everybody, especially brian and stever, thank you! How do you deal with the paperwork and finance dept waiting game? Would it be unreasonable to request they have all paperwork ready or should I give them a time limit? Buyer is already pre-approved w/ Honda Financial. How long should it really take?

• Options
    edited April 2014

If you have agreement on the number and the financing app is all in order, you can ask the dealer to deliver the car to you at your home or office and skip the wait entirely.

How To Speed Up Car-Buying Paperwork

New-Car Home Delivery

• Options

Brian and all, I just confirmed with dealer about rebate. He said that it is for financing and flex cash. Also, > @lairdwd said:

Hi folks. I'm shopping for a 2014 CR-V EX in the Boston, MA area. Even though I'll be signing a 3/36 lease, I'm trying to negotiate the cost of the vehicle separate from the rest of the lease details. Unfortunately, as soon as I mention the word "lease", the dealers think that means cart blanche to throw out a monthly number that is completely detached from any kind of price negotiation on the vehicle itself. lol.

That said, once I refocus the sales folks, all the guys up here are saying 750 flex cash + 500 dealer cash available for April still. I got a quote of 23277 with doc fee of $369 . All rebates priced into quote. How much more room you think I got on this one? Dealer invoice is 25520, and loaded to the gills with inventory. Thoughts?

This seems like a good deal as you are getting total discount of 2243. I received around 2000 discount on same car in IL.

• Options

@plala said:
    Thanks Brian. I am going to dealer on tomorrow and see if he can offer or sale at this price== 24750-1250 = 23500 + tax + doc + Gov Fee for 2014 CRV AWD EX. I will update with findings

I asked dealer and he said that 1250 rebate is for financing. If I do not finance then all discount will be gone.

• Options

I have a one more questions about 2012 honda CR-V AWD EX car with 34000 miles? How much it should worth today - I mean at what price dealer or car max buy it today?

I just checked KBB and it is around 19000. Is this sale at really high price?

• Options
    quiltergirlquiltergirl Member Posts: 5

I have read through this discussion and it has been very enlightening! Thanks for all the great posts!
    My husband and I are looking to buy a 2014 CRV EX-L, no navigation, no entertainment. We have used information found here, especially from brian125, and currently have an offer from a local dealer as follows:

2014 CRV EX-L (no nav/no entertainment)--$25,869, includes destination fee

Dealer conveyance fee=$429

Offering $500 flex cash

Total offer, excluding tax, DMV fees=$25,798

It almost seems too good to be true, given what I have been reading.
    We are in the NY/CT/MA area.

They gave us a vehicle stock number, which did not show in their online inventory. When asked, they said it was recently put under deposit, but they would have no trouble getting the color we want.

Any thoughts?

• Options

What is this "conveyance fee" ? Is there also a doc fee? Probably. You better ask.

If not, you are right around where I am. Invoice is 28K. Quote is 25.9 = $2100 below invoice - 400 conveyance = 1700 below. Try to get the $750 flex cash.

• Options

lairdwd,
    They are one and the same. We weren't sure if asking for $750 was expecting too much, although several other dealers have it, though their sale price is higher

• Options

@quiltergirl said:
    I have read through this discussion and it has been very enlightening! Thanks for all the great posts!
    My husband and I are looking to buy a 2014 CRV EX-L, no navigation, no entertainment. We have used information found here, especially from brian125, and currently have an offer from a local dealer as follows:

2014 CRV EX-L (no nav/no entertainment)--$25,869, includes destination fee

Offering $500 flex cash

Total offer, excluding tax, DMV fees=$25,798

It almost seems too good to be true, given what I have been reading.
    We are in the NY/CT/MA area.

They gave us a vehicle stock number, which did not show in their online inventory. When asked, they said it was recently put under deposit, but they would have no trouble getting the color we want.

Any thoughts?

This is a good offer to buy.. Make sure you get the flex cash if your financing thru honda..

Dealers looking to sell his inventory.. 1700 below invoice plus flex of 500 or 750 is a very good deal especially in the NY/ NJ/ CT area

• Options
    edited April 2014

Thank you brian125!

Couldn't have done it without your help on this forum.

I'll post again when the deal is done.

• Options
    no1b4me1no1b4me1 Member Posts: 41

quiltergirl - is your price based on financing through Honda?

That is very good deal if not any flex cash included.

• Options

no1b4me1--yes, it includes flex cash.

1700 below invoice plus flex of 500 or 750 is a very good deal especially in the NY/ NJ/ CT area

• Options

Something seems to be going on in the MA area. Honda ads are on TV nonstop. I got a quote of 23950 - 750 flex - 500 dealer cash and that's with minimal work. That's 1500+ under invoice with both incentives.

• Options
    cosmiccscosmiccs Member Posts: 1

Thanks for everyone's help.

I just bought a 2014 EX-L AWD for 27,850 out the door.

It was 25935 for car, 80 document, 2276 tax + some other fees, then I got 750 flex and did 0.9% Honda financing

I think I got a really good deal, but maybe they're trying to get rid of them :)

• Options
    jmrtcljmrtcl Member Posts: 8

I am also in MA. Looking for LX AWD. quote: invoice 23554---offer 21336=2218 below invoice Did no work. This is first offer. Believe flex cash is also available. 289 doc fee, 100 registry fee, 29 state inspection + 6.25 sales tax. Trying to get wife to part with her 2009 Camry. Other closer dealers may match.
    Is this a great deal??
    tom l

• Options

jmrtl - what dealership are you using for that quote? Some of them are quoting with all discounts applied. Some of them aren't. You are best to follow Brian's advice and get the incentives available and doc fee up front, then negotiate the price.

I got one quote that was so out of the ball park that I'm confirming again with the sales guy that he has the specs right and it includes destination. Right now, getting a quote on a EX AWD : invoice - 25520, offer 23049 after all incentives + $300 doc fee. Next step is detailed breakdown from top three. I think there is more room to go.

• Options

lairdwd---This offer is from Commonwealth Honda via a simple e-mail quote request then a phone call follow up. I thought it might be for FW Drive ; it is for AWD, This includes transport. Doc fee is actually 297. I did not ask for Flexcash but was told by another dealer that all have it available thru 4-30.
    Similar initial offer from Herb Chambers in Burlington for 21820 doc fee 289 and they do offer Flexcash.
    I still need to convince wife to trade 2009 Camry. I can't do serious bidding until she does. It is her car. I hope to do this by 4-30.

Thx for all the good advice

• Options

I'm finding that almost all are quoting with dealer cash included in the quote, and some of them are quoting with the $750 flex cash in the quote too. What I found best is to send an email asking if they have the $750 flex and $500 dealer cash incentives available, and then follow up with the phone call immediately after initial contact is made. Seems that worked for you too. Trying to do it exclusively over email will not get you your best deal. Being able to talk like you are a smart shopper and friendly will get you good numbers too. I'm at 23889 invoice with 750 flex and 500 dealer cash in play on top of that, with a 25520 dealer invoice. That would be a very nice 1630 under invoice, 289 doc, and 1250 in incentives. That's in the zone of where I want to be and gives me about a 229/mo on a sign and drive lease on an EX AWD. The residuals and money factor are fantastic for April.

• Options

Brian et all,
    Truth or lie: I had 2 sales managers tell me this week " I am giving you the same deal today as I would if you came in on the last day of the month. It would be foolish and bad business if I passed up your business over the difference of a few days". I know everyone here is of the opinion that the very end of the month is the best time to deal. This statement has enough of a ring of truth to be believable by most knowledgeable
    customers including me. Is this more bullxxxx? What do you all think?

tom l

• Options

Some manufacturers offer bonuses for cars sold at other times, like the first ten days of the month. So who knows, you may get a better deal on May 5th.

I purchased my last new car on New Year's Eve. Should have been a great time, right? - end of month and end of year quotas. I found out a month later that Nissan's quota that year ended on Jan. 4. Turned out to be a great buy, even if I did leave some money on the table.

The best time to buy a car is when you want to buy.

When to Buy Your Next Car

• Options

I think there is some truth to that. In fact, you might have even a little more leverage because they still might think they can hit number X in the remaining few days of the month, whereas on the last day, the picture is more clear. Just my speculation.

• Options
    edited April 2014

Tom , I always preach hold out to make your best deal by months end. Unless you get your targeted price before. I like to start my buying process the last few days of any month buying on the last day if no dealers agree with my target price.. I like to advise the people who are not good at this buying game to start the 3rd week of any month with emails and direct calls to each dealerships internet manager... This opens up the lines of communication with dealers. When I buy any new car/ truck I usually have 20 maybe 30 dealerships that I target. To me they all sell the same product. Where I buy does not matter except price.... Dealers looking for end of the month sales will sell lower to meet there quota. This dealer is telling you either he met his sales quota already and wont go lower or he is in poker face mode. You either buy, call dealers bluff by waiting til months end, Or see if a better deal comes along with your targeted dealerships

If this price is in your targeted price range to buy....... make deal , Otherwise hold out til the end of this month and squeeze him for more $$$ to see if he was lying. You have nothing to lose. His price is good today and at months end.. By having more dealerships in the mix will help you make the best possible deal.

• Options
    edited April 2014

One problem you may find with buying a Honda Accord, or CRV is with there flex cash offering. Dealers give it out on a 1st come 1st serve basis. Some dealers may be lying to you about having it later in the month... If your dealing with only 3 or 4 dealerships you may not get the flex cash at months end.. So you may have to adjust your approach... If flex is a deciding factor and your area's pricing is not that good you buy earlier for flex..

I have bought 5 CRV's and 6 Accords for folks in the past year. Dealing with alot of dealers gave me more flex cash availability right til months end.

Just something to think about when buying a honda

• Options
    xpertjoeyxpertjoey Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2014

Sorry posted in wrong forum

• Options
    edited April 2014

xpertjoey,

I had a recent email telling me they leased a 2014 Accord for 700 below invoice at S.I. honda

I would call Bayridge honda and tell them to match the 700 below and you will lease today. Bayridge honda hates to lose business to S.I> honda. I pitted both dealers against each other last year when i bought my EXL V-6 accord.

Check the leasing forum for resdiuals, money factor, cap cost, etc Then make deal.. If your looking for a lower price try............. New Rochelle Honda.

• Options
    mke13mke13 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2014

I'm in the Milwaukee area and recieved a quoted for a 2014 CRV EX AWD of 24,470. This price includes destination. Total with tax, license & reg, & 195 dealer fee is $26,248. Good deal or keep negotiating?

Forgot to say I am looking to finance through Honda. I should negotiate in the $500 dealer cash after the 24, 470 price, correct? This dealer specifically says the college & military rebates are not included in the 24,270 price

• Options

mke13,

Its hard to say what your area's market selling price is in Milwaukee for the CRV. Your deal is at 1049 below invoice with a 195 doc fee charge. This puts you at 854 below invoice. If you could find dealerships offering flex cash of 500 or 750 that would put you in the 1350 below invoice price area. The way you find your area's market price is by getting as many dealerships involved as your willing to travel to. Make your best deal at months end build onto this price .

• Options
    mke13mke13 Member Posts: 3

Thanks Brian. I do have another dealer quote for $23,900 including dest but not including rebates (or TTL, etc), but the requirement is that I finance through Honda which makes me think he's already including $500 dealer cash in that offer. Trying to see if my preferred dealer will match this price! Haven't even mentioned my trade in to these dealers yet. Taking your advice and contacted several in my area for the best price. Hoping to close the deal Monday.

• Options

@cosmiccs, and other recent buyers - we'd love to see pics of your new CR-V over in Reader's Rides.

• Options

@mke13 said:
    Thanks Brian. I do have another dealer quote for $23,900 including dest but not including rebates (or TTL, etc), but the requirement is that I finance through Honda which makes me think he's already including $500 dealer cash in that offer. Trying to see if my preferred dealer will match this price! Haven't even mentioned my trade in to these dealers yet. Taking your advice and contacted several in my area for the best price. Hoping to close the deal Monday.

Take your 3 best offers and in a couple of days drive to each dealership making your best deal with the trade or trying to get atleast a fair trade price..

• Options
    ersonerson Member Posts: 2

Brian125

Honda CR-V EX AWD
    Doc Fee $369.
    with Out the Door Price of $26,000. is it a good price here in NJ?
    Will buy tomorrow if it is agood price.
    thanks

• Options

erson

whats vehicle selling price ? Dealers doc fee charge ? How much flex cash are you recieving etc?.. Break down your deal and leave out the OTD numbers. Tell me if dest charge is included in your selling price.

• Options
    ashley_b1ashley_b1 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2014

As far as I can tell, every CRV model has been discussed previously within this topic, 2014 Prices Paid and Buying Experience. If you haven't already, start with finding your TMV on edmunds.com and if you want more info, begin more research at page 1 of this great topic and keep going. All this will help you with your target price. Seems like some people don't mind paying a little more, some only want to work hard to pay a little less. Good thing is, any route you take, your're getting a great vehicle and will save even more $$ down the road w/ less repairs and excellent resale to boot.**

After purchase, please help us all, post your price paid for the vehicle (excluding taxes, doc fees, etc, different at most dealers and states) and your experience with the buying process at your Honda dealer.

Remember folks, if you're requesting an opinion on price quotes, these guys (brian, stever, and others) want to see the "vehicle selling price", just for the vehicle itself AND if that includes destination charge and any rebates. From there, you can list separately (if you want to) document, title + other misc. fees, dealer-add ons such as vehicle paint/fabric protection, etc. to arrive at an OTD price.

These are all things you should understand 100% anyways, because you never know what is being added on to the price until you ask the dealer to show exactly how they came to the OTD price, which many are reluctant to show to buyer. You should not be surprised one bit when the contract is placed in front of you to sign. You should already know what is going to be on the contract, but it's up to you to make this happen, persistence and patience!!

If you don't understand it, don't sign it. :s

Yesterday, we drove a CRV 2wd, Mazda CX5, Mitsu Outlander Sport, and a Kia Sorrento. All nice vehicles, with Honda and Mazda towards top in terms of engine refinement and just overall feeling of the car. With regards to pricing and all else accounted for, Honda is the king right now, as least where I reside.

• Options
    edited April 2014

What @ashley_b1 said. :)

A good baseline is TMV - that includes destination but not fees and taxes and incentives - those numbers will vary by area and eligibility.

TMV reflects the average selling price in your area; it looks most people in here are handily beating the average.

This discussion has been closed.