Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• This Sounds too Familiar. I just bought a new 05 SR5 with 5 miles when i drove it off the dealers lot. The next day (Sunday)I brought it back complaining of a vibration. I figured it was a tire out of balance. They said just to make an appointment. Well two weeks later they are waiting for a new rear differential from Japan. They think this will fix the problem. My questions for you or anyone on this forum.

1) Has anyone ever one a lemon law contest against toyota? and if so how? and how do you deal with toyota.

2) Since this (replacing differentials) seems to be a common "fix" for the sequoia, are there any long term mechanical issues with the vehicle after the differential has been replaced?

any advice on these
  • I own a 2004 Limited. When temp. outside is around 32 degrees I start the truck and hear the motor knocking for about 1 or 2 minutes. At first is would go away after a few seconds, seems it is taking longer. The dealer has told me this "normal", oil is not getting to the top

of the motor. I responded by saying, "that can't

be good for a motor", he said"Toyota considersthis normal". I am not going to go for

that.My husband is a Master Tech.and says it is not that. I need a new motor. It will only get worse over time and is not normal in a motor built correctly. My feet are always cold. And I have had the acceloration when stopped. Just the other day around 40mph felt something under my feet and hear a rubbing noise. 14,500 is my milage. Heeelp!
  • I have a 2004 Limited with 14,000 miles did not notice this noise last winter. Just this winter and it seems to be getting worse. I took it to the dealer they say it is normal. I just put up a post today. That is a lot to pay for a truck to hear the engine knock. My husband is a Maste Tech. So they have not heard the end of this yet.

Let me know how it goes.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Posts: 296
    Anything with the 4.7L in it slaps when cold. Both of the Sequoias I've owned slap as does the Tundras owned by two friends. This is a direct result of aluminum pistons contracting more than the cylinder sleeve when things get really cold. However, after a few minutes the knocks go away. It seems that Toyota specically set the tolerances at optimum operating temperature. Maybe that's why it's such a smooth engine once it warms up, I don't know. If it makes you feel any better there are many of these engines with well over 100k on them without any problems. I let mine warm in the garage so I don't have to listen to it.
  • bama2bama2 Posts: 5
    i have a 2003 sr5 same engine noise in cold weather. try this when you get home at night turn off heat/ac . next morning leave heat /ac off when you crank see if the type noise changes. my toyota dealer says it normal going to fight with toyota, going to ask for an abnormal sequoia.
  • We had the same problem on our 2003 Sequoia. the dealer changed out three batteries, and the problem went away. They never admitted to finding a problem. In a 1979 car I had a similar problem and ultimately it was on of the electrical items that didn't turn off with the ignition and created a slow drain on the battery. Be sure there are no live PTO's powered up and left on.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    It happened to me recently. I had let it sit for abvout 5 days and when I tried to start it just kept on clicking but no start. I jump started it and let it be since I rarely ever have my truck sitting more than 2 days. If it happens again, I'm probably switch it out for an optima or interstate battery.
  • I just purchased a 2005 SR5 Sequioa with a rear air suspension. I noticed a loud pop sound with I leave from a stop. It seems to get better as the vehicle warms up. When it is total warmed up, I hardly notice this loud pop. However, I would occasionally noticed it when I come to a stop. No heres the real mystery...I would have 1 to 2 loud POPs when its turned OFF and cooling down!!! These pops are not your usual cooling down noises you would expect to hear...But loud and startling POPS--like a bolts being broken off. Has anyone else experience this problem and may have a solution? I have not been back to the dealer yet. I only have about 135 miles on it. I left the lot with the odometer rading Zero...Please reply anyone!!!!!
  • I experienced the dreaded vibration right away. I thought it might be a wheel out of balance. I brought in back to the dealer, but meanwhile I researched the issue with an internet search for "toyota vibration." YIKES! All sorts of sad tales - most with no resolve.

Anyway, my dealer connected some device to the truck to measure vibration; they determined it was an out of balance driveshaft and replaced it. The problem is resolved.
  • Well, here's a reply...

My wife reported something like this as she was driving the other day at about 35MPH. She thought she might have run over something, but she saw nothing in the rearview mirror.

Sorry, that's all the info I have.
  • Thanks for the feedback.
  • These noises are diminishing...Hopefully, it is from it being so new...large metal heat shields expanding and contracting...
  • My wife drives a 01 Seq.LTD 42,000 miles,over the last four months the vehicle has stalled a few times while turning into d/ways or parking lots. She's at very low speed and turning,she says that the wheel was never fully cranked over and in 2WD, and the engine stalls. Power steering fluid clean and full, belt is in decent shape. I am unable to duplicate the problem. Anybody experience this gremlin.
  • Anybody had their overdrive work backwards??? My '04 sequoia (normally driven by spouse) got the O/D exercised when I was driving down a hill- when the light was on, the RPM's decreased...light off, rpms increased...did same on flat ground, 25-55mph. Turned off truck, let sit for 30 sec, and then the o/d off swith worked normally (turn on light on dash-o/d off- and the rpms would increase). Are there any TSBs out for this or is this going to be an electrical gremlin that will have to reveal itself while they have their scanner hooked up???

Thanks
  • precabprecab Posts: 11
    Fuel lines have a vapor removal system that can kick in after the car is off.
  • precabprecab Posts: 11
    I just drove one off the lot and the radio quality is poor. My tahoe system was twice this one. I am sadly going to put a 350 apline in next week and pull the stock junker.

email me if you find any news if its other than the radio

Precab@aol.com
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    Definitely true, the system sucks. I have the JBL system and its horrible. What I did on mine was swap out the tweeters only and it sounds alot better. I'm thinking about changing the radio but I got so used to the steering wheel controls. To me there is just to much boom in the stock system with no highs. Anyways, tweeters are much cheaper.
  • Did you ever get an answer about that Check Engine Light. I have the same problem. 2001 and about 39K miles.
  • I have read a lot of the messages on the board about your different experiences. As a new owner of a used vehicle, I am scared to death. Should I be or are these situations just things that can happen in any type of vehicle and not just the Sequoia. Please reassure me we've made a good decision:)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    You need to take into consideration that this particular topic is strictly for "problems & solutions". Therefore, you will see a majority of posts concerning just that...problems. Have you looked at any of the other Sequoia topics?

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• In addition to the O/D working "backwards" (see post above), I flipped on the wipers today and the radio turned on. Wife said that sometimes the garage door opener turns on the radio as well. Anybody have this prob???
  • Not sure if you have the same problem as i, but do you notice when driving up a hill you don't have the orginal umph?
    My Sequioa used to power up a hill, now it putts up and has a putter sound.
  • Ditto on the cruddy radio. For a $750 option, the JBL really sucks. The reception is bad, my Bose in my Infinity (which is 5 years old) absolutely destroys the JBL. I would have rather not paid $750 for the JBL just to want to take it out.
  • Is the problem the head unit, the amp, or the speakers?
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Posts: 296
    The constant hissing from the tweeters is annoying as hell.
  • Hi,

Can you show me where the TSB's are? I just got "taken to the cleaners" on this AC001-04 problem even though it was serviced at dealer while under warranty and no mention was made of this potential problem. I just think it is wrong to pay 40k for a truck and not be notified of a potential problem that they knew about in 2002!
    Thanks in advance!
    tstar44@mindspring.com
    Tom Star
  • Has anyone had the problem of the corroding positve battery cable? Since it not a "standard" cable and actually part of a harness that services the starter, ignition, etc. I am looking at $500 in parts, $500 in labor for a battery cable.. Hmmn, should we spend the extra four bucks eac on separate cables or do we make it one so the dealer gets a big service bogie when it goes bad? I smell a rotten fish. Funny thing is my Taurus made it a 100k without a squeak even with a recalled tranny! In this case, I haven't got what I paid for..

Does anyone know of a "knock off" cable being produced.
    Thanks
    Tom
  • stc1stc1 Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem. I replaced one battery and almost replaced another but a friend offered to jump me off and when it would not start he cleaned the cables with a wire brush. He cleaned all of the acid off and it cranked. I would try just cleaning it frequently before I spent any money on repairs.
  • pman5pman5 Posts: 9
    just to let everyone know dealer replaced transmission. They also extended the factory warranty to 5 years 60,000 miles, and will do all toyota reccomended services complementary for 5 years. We've had the truck back for 3 weeks and everything seems ok! Hopefully this will be the only major problem.
  • epmomepmom Posts: 7
    That is how my problem originally started. There is a TSB out for part of the VSC system. Ask dealer if TSB applies to your problem.