Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• Options
    xc90loverxc90lover Member Posts: 11
    As for the factory DVD, we aren't expecting it to be available until Aug.
    Look for the headrest mounted DVD as part of the XC90 Premier package.
    We believe that the roof mounted unit will be priced around $2,000 installed.

Wow! I would like to get the roof mounted unit, but for that price I could purchase 2 T.V.'s and a DVD player for my house. If that's the case, then I might as well do it after factory. For all you XC90 owners who have installed a roof mounted unit what is it costing? Thanks!
  • Options
    schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    I am having the aftermarket headrest system installed and it is going to cost me around $1750 in Chicago. Something that I was worried about as far as the roof mounted screen was the concern of it interfering with the rear view mirror. This may be an invalid concern however.
  • Options
    rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    Why bother. For around $500, you can get a good portable DVD player. You can use it anywhere, so the kids can actually finish the movie after they leave the car. For the price of these installed players, you can get each kid their own portable unit (so no fighting over what to watch) plus dozens of DVD's, and still have change left.
  • Options
    gmark2000gmark2000 Member Posts: 62
    Volvo XC90 Executive – now even more exclusive

* Truly exclusive
    * Unique design details both inside and out
    * Optional DVD system and refrigerator
    * T6 producing 272 hp or D5 with an output of 163 hp 

The Volvo XC90 is Volvo Cars’ biggest sales success ever in the company’s history – and now yet another model variant is grabbing the spotlight.

The Volvo XC90 Executive is the car for customers who want to spice up the SUV experience with an exceptionally high specification level encompassing a number of unique details.

On the outside, the Volvo XC90 Executive has body-colour door handles and side trim mouldings, an egg-crate grille in a unique silver metallic colour, polished aluminium roof rails, rear under-chassis guard and a chrome XC90 Executive badge.

The Volvo XC90 Executive is available in six colours, of which two (White Pearl and Titanium Grey Pearl) are not available on other XC90 models.

Tinted side windows and unique 18-inch BBS split light alloy wheels are available as options.

Leather and wood

The exclusive interior trim is dominated by leather and wood.

* The seats in the two front rows have extra-soft leather upholstery with piping in a contrasting colour.
    * The door panels and front door armrests are upholstered in the same type of leather, with seams in a contrasting colour.
    * In addition to the red walnut trim found in other XC90 models, the wood trim is also echoed in the top of the centre console, the gear selector knob and around the window lift buttons.
    * The mats on the floor and in the luggage compartment are extra thick.
    * There is a clothes-hook integrated into each front seat.
    * Like the front seats, the seats in the second row also have storage pockets set into their front.

Refrigerator and DVD

There is an optional refrigerator with space for four half-litre drinks cans. The refrigerator is integrated under the armrest between the front seats.

It is also possible to specify an RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) system.

RSE consists of an integrated DVD player in the front middle armrest, two rear-facing 7-inch screens built into the back of the front seat head restraints, wireless earphones and a remote control.

The system also includes sockets for other entertainment sources, such as an additional DVD player, an electronic games console or a video camera.

Since the two screens can be operated independently of each other, two passengers can for instance watch a film on one screen while the third passenger plays his or her favourite game or watches another film on the other.

T6 or D5 power

The Executive model is available with T6 power, that is to say an in-line six-cylinder petrol engine producing 272 hp, or with the D5 engine, Volvo’s own five-cylinder 2.4-litre turbodiesel that puts out a healthy 163 hp.

The Volvo XC90 Executive will be introduced at the end of May in conjunction with the PGA golf tournament at the renowned Wentworth club outside London. Deliveries of the first cars will take place in late summer.

The sales target for the Volvo XC90 Executive is 3,000 cars a year. The USA, Britain and Germany are expected to be the three biggest markets.

• Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I think that the concern with portable DVDs in vehicles is the possibility of the portable DVDs to become harmful projectiles in the event of an accident. Imagine the portable DVD hurling towards your child...not pretty. However, if the portable DVD players can be mounted securely, then it would be the ideal choice for the reasons that you stated. I, for one, love our portable DVD player. My wife and I are able to eat out in peace while our toddlers watch their Baby Einstein DVDs.

That being said, even permanently headliner-mounted entertainment systems can be hazardous in the event of a rollover. I think that this was why it took Volvo quite a bit of time to integrate a DVD unit that met their safety standards (whatever that may be). IMO, the headrest integrated monitors are the best, from a safety standpoint. But like anything integrated into the vehicle, they are expensive and the cost is likely unrecoverable when it comes time to trade-in the vehicle.
  • Options
    boilermakerfanboilermakerfan Member Posts: 2
    The solution I have found that both cost effective and portable is to use my laptop computer with the DVD drive. It has a bigger screen than any portable out there and is bigger than any integrated system I have seen. I use a "Y" connector for the headphones and strap it down between the front seats.

The kids also can use it to play computer games when not watching a DVD.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...and strap it down between the front seats.

How are you strapping it down? If you can show us some pics, it would be great. Are you using velcro, similar to this application.
  • Options
    cheapskate7cheapskate7 Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone purchased or even seen an XC90 with a standard interior (taupe vinyl/fabric)? How does it look? The smell, feel, and possibly better durability of leather not of great importance to me. (Also, I rarely open a moon roof).
  • Options
    tccroupier58tccroupier58 Member Posts: 7
    Greetings gmark2000; Reading the message 1735 answered or rather resurfaced a question I had given up on having answered. I just earlier this year had contacted Volvo Sweden about the overseas delivery program they were offering. I lost interest when they informed me that the Volvo cars with Diesel engine is not available to the US market. Has this changed? Is it available in Canada. What is the estimated fuel mileage on the d5 diesel, on the 5 cyl. gasoline engine? thank you very much for the report. hopefully, tccroupier58
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Still not available in the US and not going to be.
  • Options
    deek_mddeek_md Member Posts: 7
    I am on the verge of purchasing the XC90, but I am disappointed by the lack of an integrated wired DVD system that would allow me to load the DVD from the front console and have my kids listen in the back while my wife and I listen to a CD in the front .. the Chrysler Pacifica does this quite nicely..

How have other owners worked around this?? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    volvobustervolvobuster Member Posts: 14
    Hi All,

Recently, I have complained vehemently about the 1-2 shift lag on the T6. The Volvo tech rep decreed on paper three weeks ago that the car was operating normally, yet he told me by phone that he did experience the lag on two occasions.

Miraculously, a "fix" appeared out of nowhere. The dealer applied software update 923, part #30670092-3. After two days of driving, it seems to have done some good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

vb
  • Options
    barnesdhbarnesdh Member Posts: 2
    Hi...
    I experience an engine/transmission/pw steering vibration in the steering wheel of my T-6 w/premium package. The vibration is felt mainly at low vehicle speeds and idle. This is NOT road vibration. Anyone else w/T-6 have this same problem? I take my XC90 for it's first checkup in a few weeks. Thanks to 'Volvobuster', Msg 1743. I will add this to my list. Note, there are also software updates available for the premium sound package. I will post what I learn after my check-up.

DHB
  • Options
    To barnesdh:

According to the service invoice, the software updates applied to our premium sound system (Dolby Pro-Logic II) are as follows:

Part #30657948-3, description-30657948-Upgrade I;
    Part #30667419-3, description-30667419-Upgrade A;
    Part #30667150-4, description-30667150-Upgrade A.

This solved the problem of the system shutting off intermittently. The invoices show .8 hours for the sound system update, and .4 hours for the transmission. In speaking to my brother who lives about 300 miles away and has an S60 AWD, and an S80, there is software for practically everything in the car. His inside rear view mirror stayed too dark, so - you guessed it - a software update. I guess I should have had a clue when the owners manual came on a CD ROM.

I wonder if any of the computer types out there can figure out how all this software operates. I'll bet a lot of things could be "tricked up" with the right codes. It's probably not possible since these updates are downloaded via satellite.

Judging by my experience, I think the software resides mainly between the ears of the Volvo engineering staff and the Volvo Cars of North America dealer support network. I cannot fault the dealer in the least. They've really bent over backwards to solve these problems. They got the transmission update only after repeated attempts to reach the tech rep, who gave them the code even though he was at the dealership THE DAY BEFORE. It seems to me they should have had it before I arrived, but Volvo dropped the ball - once again. This has been the most aggravating part of the whole situation. I'm really hoping this will be the end because my wife and I really like the car, but I honestly don't have the time to fool around with these problems and help Volvo fault trace their cars. That's why we bought a new car in the first place. What I find particularly amusing is that my 2003 Suburban has not had a single problem in the four weeks I've owned it. The one before it was in the shop only for scheduled maintainence. Oops, sorry - wrong forum.

As far as the steering wheel vibration is concerned, I have no experience with that one, but there's probably a software update. Besides the sound system and the transmission problems, our car has been virtually trouble-free. Good luck.

vb
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Volvo's integrated RSE (rear seat entertainment) system is apparently now available for ordering from the factory. It's included in the new XC90 Executive, http://www.swedespeed.com/main_news/05_21_03.html , and I suspect you can either or will soon be able to order RSE separately.

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    The one shown for the Exec is different than the system for the regular XC90.
    The regular system is a dealer accessory and is roof mounted.
  • Options
    e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    Can the Executive be ordered now?

Any word on when Ford is going to open the XC90 up to A/Z-Plan?
  • Options
    gmark2000gmark2000 Member Posts: 62
    tccroupier wrote: D5 availability?

The D5 Diesel version is not available in North America at all (not even in Canada.)

Volvobuster wrote: According to the service invoice, the software updates applied to our premium sound system (Dolby Pro-Logic II) are as follows:

Part #30657948-3, description-30657948-Upgrade I;
    Part #30667419-3, description-30667419-Upgrade A;
    Part #30667150-4, description-30667150-Upgrade A.

This solved the problem of the system shutting off intermittently.

So with three specific software updates for the Premium Sound, do you know what else is fixed? The crappy FM reception and RDS station skipping???
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    We have one of the first few XC90's to hit the market- took delivery in November. We have a 2.5t and for the most part love the vehicle. A few problems extracating from heavy snow (yes, we were in W mode), but nothing else except for two recent problems. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced....

We have a hollow banging sound coming from the rear of the vehicle when we are moving slowly over bumpy or uneven pavement. We've heard it might be a shock problem, but the dealer isn't 100% sure. The shock is on back-order, so my guess is this might be a problem with more than just a few. Anyone hear anything?

Also, we are experiencing significant vibration at speeds between 40 and 60 mph when we go over slight bumps or unevenness in the road. The steering wheel vibrates, as well as being able to feel the car shaking a bit throughout the cabin. The dealer at first thought it was the ABS, but it is most certainly not. Thoughts?

Thanks.
  • Options
    As far as I'm aware the Exec is not yet available to order.

As for the A/Z/X plan, don't expect it anytime soon.
    Volvo is still experiencing significant levels of demand for the XC90, especially the AWD versions, which they are unable to keep up with.
    As long as this holds true there will be no discounts.
    Also, the Plan is voluntary, so even if it were offered the dealer has the option not to participate. If the dealer still has a waiting list for the XC90 they won't participate in the plan.

As for golds problems, the rear noise sounds like a broken shock or suspension bushing.
    Front vibration could be the tires, check the balance.
  • Options
    ernest0ternest0t Member Posts: 29
    As for the noise in the back, you might check the area where the jack parts are stored. When I first got my vehicle one of the jack parts had come loose from one of the plastic clips that hold in in place, and it would occasionally bang against metal.

I've got no vibration in my 2.5T (around 4500 miles).
  • Options
    gmark2000 wrote:

>So with three specific software updates for the Premium Sound, do you know what else is fixed? The crappy FM reception and RDS station skipping???

I haven't had any particular reception or RDS station skipping problems, but I don't think the software updates address them. The update changes the fiber optic communication within the sound system. Apparently before the update, the system becomes confused intermittently and shuts down.

I have a copy of the Volvo Tech-Net Notes service bulletin #39-34 that deals with FM reception, and advises using Normal or 3 Channel mode in weak reption areas:

"In order for the Dolby Prologic II to provide optimal sound quality, a strong FM signal is necessary. At times of a weak FM signal, the sound quality is worse in Dolby Prologic II than in the normal setting."

The notes go on to suggest using one of the "My Key" buttons to set the Normal or 3 Channel mode in FM without changing it in the CD mode. Normally, the settings would carry over to the FM mode from the CD mode.

Now, if only I could remember where I put my old under-dash 8 track player.

vb
  • Options
    sharonsharon Member Posts: 76
    I had to have the right rear shock replaced on my 2.5T (as did several other people). It was making a knocking sound.

It's been fine since.

Sharon
  • Options
    shadowchasershadowchaser Member Posts: 94
    I just picked up my AWD 5 cylinder. It has tremendous braking squeek...even when I am not applying the brake. I hear it when I am parking and moving slowly. Anybody else hear this type of sound. The dealer said it was because the new brakes are wet (the roads here are wet from rain.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions about extended warranties? not necessary, volvo's, warranty gold (100000 miles...what did you pay).
  • Options
    dachshund2dachshund2 Member Posts: 39
    Congrats on the new automobile!

Sounds like you've got the emergency brake release problems of beeval and rhinoman2. Use the "Search this discussion" under emergency brake to find all related posts.

I understand there was a TSB released recently about the emergency brake and the repair involves adding extra return springs in the line. Takes about an hour and should be an easy fix. Enjoy!
  • Options
    cal1948cal1948 Member Posts: 10
    I just picked up a 2004 T6 AWD. In message #1745 volvobuster mentions an owner's manual being on a CD. In another message someone mentioned an instructional video. I didn't receive either a CD or video. The owner's manual was the normal printed manual. Are those items for a particular option (like a navigation system?). Am I missing something?

Thanks.
  • Options
    ernest0ternest0t Member Posts: 29
    I don't know about the 2004s, but my 2003 came with a CD and VHS tape. The CD has video clips of many things found in the manual, but doesn't go into the detail the manual does. It is helpful for certain things to see a visual of what you need to do (like adjusting the seats, etc..). Maybe Volvo is trying to save a few bucks on the 2004s?
  • Options
    imfookieimfookie Member Posts: 10
    The 2004s do come with a cd/vhs pack. It should be in the glove compartment with the manual.
  • Options
    cal1948cal1948 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll be asking the dealer about the missing CD and video.
  • Options
    itzafergitzaferg Member Posts: 3
    Picked up my 2004 XC90 a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed it. The drive is tight and is a real pleasure. Compared to my 2000 HSE Range Rover, the XC90 has more pep and manuverabily.

I have noticed that the more I drive, the better my average gas mileage has gotten. I am getting 18.5 average mph and I expect it to improve as time goes.

Such a nice vehicle. I wish the back cargo space had a hardtop cover instead of the pull back cover.
  • Options
    seatbeltseatbelt Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 xc90 that is having a problem with seatbelts in the rear passenger area. The belt constantly gets jammed between the door and seat. I have damage to the door and seat. I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem?
  • Options
    Yes, several of us have had this occur. Check posts 1494/1495/1501/1507. My dealer has replaced one door panel and repaired 2 seats. I don't know of a permanent fix at this time other then to have your passengers check the belt when they exit. I really didn't want to have my seats and panels repaired until there was a permanent fix, but my dealer insisted and said they would repair them as many times as necessary. Volvo aims to please and has IMO.
  • Options
    markn7markn7 Member Posts: 4
    I have had my XC90 for 2 weeks now. I do notice the lag in shifts during fast starts, but if driven under normal conditions, it seems smooth. I read other owners mention vibration. I have experienced this 3 times but at highway speeds. Feels like wheel balance but if that were the case, it would be consistent. I have had the car up to 95 MPH on a highway wit no vibration. Then, today, all of the sudden, at 73 MPH the car starts to vibrate. I was very low on gas but again, I don't think this was the root cause. This is interesting phenomena. It has not happened in city or suburban driving. I am in automotive business here in Metro Detroit, so I have more than average knowledge about NVH problems. My guess is it is the rear air suspension because when it happened today, I shifted to neutral and increased my RPM and it still had the vibration. Or, it could be a malfunction with he AWD going into mode at high speeds. Anyway, I will keep you all posted. I am driving the car to a meeting in Dayton Ohio at GM and it will give me chance to evaluate the problem further. Bottom line is I love this car. Fit and finish on interior trim right up there with MB and BMW. No dash/instrument panel rattle or squeaks over bumpy roads. Takes turns like the car wants to eat the road.
  • Options
    luv6717luv6717 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone been able to pre-order the XC90 Executive? If so, when are you expecting delivery?
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    To add to the questions, does anybody have a price on the Executive version yet?

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    michael115michael115 Member Posts: 7
    We picked up our 04 T6 a few weeks ago and love it. Build quality is great, and it grows on you ... added a hitch and bought a big coleman tent trailer (3500 lbs) and it tows just fine. Biggest complaint is a nasty blind spot on the driver's side caused by the pillar btw the front side and rear side windows. That pillar totally eliminates my peripheral vision and I've had a few close calls when changing lanes. I have to lean forward and then turn my head. Strange Volvo would have this set up. Oh well. Haven't heard any other complaints about this. I will stick on one of those convex mirrors to the side mirror which hopefully will help. Anyone else have this issue?
  • Options
    jqcpjqcp Member Posts: 6
    Our third trip to the dealer complaining of the high pitched squeal you described. They replaced the spring in the emergency brake. Didn't help. Just got it back after they deglazed the front and rear. No whine Yet. They said they need to where in. I question why they don't deglaze them before you take delivery. We also have noticed dents in the rear door panel which we also thought was from the seatbeats. Is it a defective belt or just our 7 and 4 yr olds.I take this up with my dealer.
  • Options
    bruhoganbruhogan Member Posts: 4
    Any opinions about what happens to the price of this vehicle if the dollar stays relatively low? I read somewhere that BMW is hedged for currency fluctuations about a year out. Thereafter one would presumably pay more for a BMW. How about Volvo? If this is the case perhaps a fence-sitter might do well to order and lock in a price now.
  • Options
    arziearzie Member Posts: 1
    I am close to buying an XC90 and was quoted $780 to add a tow hitch. I occasionally tow a SeaDoo or small trailer---can I add an aftermarket hitch later? The dealer price seemed a little high.
  • Options
    bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    michael115: "... added a hitch and bought a big coleman tent trailer (3500 lbs) and it tows just fine."

A Volvo hitch? How was the trailer wiring done? Does it include a charge line for the trailer battery and a brake line?
  • Options
    Its the labor that makes the hitch expensive.
    You have to drop the spare, and the exhaust, as well as open several interior panels for the wiring.

We don't have prices or order availability for the Exec right now.
  • Options
    volvomax: "Its the labor that makes the hitch expensive. You have to drop the spare, and the exhaust, as well as open several interior panels for the wiring."

Clearly something that should be a factory option.

What kind of connector does the XC90 use? Does the connector include a charge line for the trailer battery and a brake line? Or do you have to have someone else rip the panels apart again to install them with another connector?

I went to the trouble of having a dealer install a hitch on an older Volvo and it didn't include these common items. I would hope Volvo had learned by now that U.S. towing vehicles need them.
  • Options
    childridechildride Member Posts: 15
    We have approximately 2500 miles. The car gets approximately 10 miles per gallon in suburban driving. I know of one other person who owns the T6 and they have the same problem. Is anyone else experiencing this?
  • Options
    Please explain how you are determining the mileage and what you mean by suburban driving. There seems to be a wide variation in reported mileage due to different methods and conditions. The vehicle's readout may not be accurate, so until it is calibrated I would trust only the manual method--keep track of fuel in and miles traveled over many tanks.

For mixed driving the T6 appears to be getting in the mid to high teens for most people. It really depends on how aggressive you are. You should be able to get near the rated 15/20 by babying the throttle.
  • Options
    Lets put it this way, I re-fill the car approximately twice per week. I owned a Dodge Durango for three years before this car that I drove in the same exact manner and only had to fill up once per week. Ignoring scientific methods of measurement for the moment, my gas millage on the T6 is worse than the Durango. As I said, I know one other person who owns a T6 and he to has the same millage problem. I want to know if others are experiencing this problem with their T6. I'm not interested in comments about how I'm measuring the millage, I'm confident that the millage is horrible.
  • Options
    jmegjmeg Member Posts: 7
    Ours is better than we expected; just over 20 mpg for highway drives and around 15-17 in town. I am using 89 octane fuel and calculate mileage each time I fill the tank. After 3000 miles, about 60% highway, 40% city, the trip computer shows 18.5 average. We have the 5 seat model and don't load it up much. After reading many posts on mileage, I expected worse, and can't complain considering the power this car has during highway drives. Passing is a breeze, and the smooth ride makes long drives less tiring. So far, so good.
  • Options
    t6xc90t6xc90 Member Posts: 3
    Childride,

You are in the minority of the planet getting 10 mpg. It would think you recheck your calculation method. A Durango with a 25 gallon tank will require less fill-ups than the T6 with a 19 gallon tank.

p.s. millage has something to do with real estate taxes. Mileage is the spelling you are looking for.
  • Options
    Childride I'm getting 16.4 city/22.6 highway by trip computer and hand calculations (3606 miles on odometer). Subjectively seems worse due to high gas prices, premium usage, and small tank. Also wonder if software updates at 60-day service may have improved MPG some. OEM software may not have been changed until 2004 production start. The updates were:

Part# 30658745-2 Upgrade DDM/PDM
         Part# 30646964-4 Upgrade DEM
         Part# 30657785-9 Upgrade ICM

Also check your tire pressure.
  • Options
    jmeg, I read in the manual to use 91 octane and above, will the use of 89 octane have an adverse affect on the car given the manual advice?

t6xc90, thanks for the typo catch.
  • Options
    childride: "I read in the manual to use 91 octane and above, will the use of 89 octane have an adverse affect on the car given the manual advice?"

A common concern. Car & Driver had a good article a couple of years ago: <http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=3604>. Among Volvo experts the opinion is generally that premium is preferred for performance and mileage but that lower octane will not harm the engine. The T6 may be more sensitive to a performance drop than the 2.5T on low-octane fuel according to some owners.