Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• Options
    gmark2000gmark2000 Member Posts: 62
    ernest0t wrote: I like the looks of the rounded frontbar, which may help protect the XC90's fragile bumper. I wonder if you can get it without the lights? Do they have anything for the rear?

I guess you mean this one below. It doesn't come with the lights (none of them do) and they are available for the North American market (in fact I found out the N.A. distributor is not far from me). A rear one isn't available from what I can see. I also think this would help with minor bumps, but I'm not sure how it would affect the collison dynamics.

IMHO, the stainless running bars are really classy and look better than the Volvo ones.
  • Options
    ernest0ternest0t Member Posts: 29
    gmark2000 do you have the prices or a web address for the distributor? Do you know how hard the installation is? I also like the looks of the SS running bars. Looks like they would also add some protection for sides as well.
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    For those who seem to think the XC90 has problems because they find people on forums reporting them you should keep it all in perspective. The Lexus GX470 has a better "reputation" in many minds purely because it's a Lexus. However, if you look at the GX470 boards (or better yet look at this weeks www.autospies.com) you will find a higher percentage of issues than the XC90 (and you will find the GX has had 3 recalls already!)

In general, and Volvo's no exception, newest luxury vehicles are VERY complex and you should expect some hiccups if you are an early adaptor (same thing happened to Lexus RX300, Mercedes S-class, latest Mercedes E-class, BMW M3 and M5, etc. etc.). The real issue is how the manufacturers deal with problems and so far I think Lexus and Volvo are about equal on this front when it comes to the GX and XC.

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    childridechildride Member Posts: 15
    Hey everyone!
    We are now debating between the Volvo, and our current minivan A 2003 chrysler Limited AWD

I have the T6 with many options for 3 weeks and have driven approximately 700 miles. I want to start by knocking on wood, but no reliability issues yet. The car is a dream to drive. It is powerful, you can blow by people if you want, handling is amazing, suspension incredible, tremendous all-around smooth, luxury ride, great room. I have 2 kids going on 3, very happy with this car, take it any day over a minivan, just won the crash awards. This car has more potential than any other for a family, it is an all in one car, family, luxury etc.
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Perhaps this is not a concern to many, depending on where you live, but I saw a BBC piece about an accident in UK where a little girl was hit by an SUV. It was a low speed impact where there was a high probability that she could have survived. However, the SUV had a metal bar that looks similar to the pictures above, and when the girl was hit, her head was hit by the metal bar. Because of the force of impact was concentrated in such a small area it caused a serious head injury from which she died a few days later. The program showed a crash dummy about the size of the girl hitting the car without the bar, in which case her head ended up hitting the hood, which gave enough to reduce the force and increased the chance of survival.
    In UK, automakers do not offer such bars anymore and it can only be purchased by going aftermarket. There is a movement to ban it altogether.

I have not given much thought about getting one, but could have since it looks nice and would reduce the damage on my car should I be involved in a collision. However, after seeing that program I probably won't, no matter how small the chance of hitting a child might be. It just never occurred to me that this was a possibility until I watched that program.
  • Options
    beevalbeeval Member Posts: 7
    Good news for me, as well. They replaced the spring in one of the parking brakes, and the problem is fixed. Apparently, a faulty spring was causing the parking brake to drag. No damage to the brakes, and I get to pick up my car today!

I'll you posted after I get to drive it, and get it out on the freeway again.

Good luck to you, too, Rhinoman.
  • Options
    I hope that the plastic thingy in the brake assembly, and the faulty parking brake spring is the last of your problems and you can enjoy some quality roadtime.

Judging by the other forums, these are isolated issues and not indicative of catastrophic defect. These production issues can happen to "any vehicle" so we can chalk it up as individual warranty annoyances. I'll be taking my T6 in on Monday morning to get the hatch seal replaced. Remaining patient and pleased - Gary
  • Options
    dmmcirvindmmcirvin Member Posts: 4
    I've been a regular visitor to this site and appreciate all of the postings for months (even before the attempted remake of the Titanic in the channel over the holidays). I'm a extremely satisfied current Volvo owner with 190K miles on my '95 850 with the original clutch. Very, very dependable vehicle. I've been thinking about the T5 but being 1+ years new, sticker only price and less than stellar gas mileage makes me want to go back to looking at the other great Swede (Saab 9.5 wagon). Plus they are offering 0% financing for 60 months. Any feedback from former Saab owners now Volvo aficionados?
  • Options
    xc90loverxc90lover Member Posts: 11
    We test drove the T6 yesterday. Have to say we loved it. What kind of gas milege are you getting on the T6? According to the sticker, the average milege is between 15/20 mpg. It seems as if you are getting hit both ways on the gas and the price for the T6, and why didn't you consider buying a 2.5TAWD instead? Is the T6 worth the extra dollars over a 2.5TAWD, or are you just paying extra for the additional peformance? Am I going to lose anything by not purchasing the T6? Appreciate your comments! Thanks!
  • Options
    anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    my gas miliege jas improved before it was ayyign 15 mpg, but now even with florring its sayyign around 16.7-16.9. The reason I bought the t6 is option packages are easier to obtain, as i have every option excpet the bi-xenons, and security package, but I think the t6 is good power. I put the car in manual, let it run a little into the red, and then switched gears, i hot 50 in second gear in what felt like less than 7 secs, it was a lot of fun, thas where all the power is haha. But with the best pick by iihs it makes me even happier that i purchased this, along with the multitude of peopel knocking on my window to find out what kind of car this is. And the new car smell is amazing even after like 4 months and 4k miles. I made up my won moose test, go into out culdesac at 30- 35 and make a u turn without hitting the brakes, man did it work haha.
  • Options
    dachshund2dachshund2 Member Posts: 39
    Both cars accelerate well in city driving, but the 2.5T seems to have to work harder. Do a high speed pass in each vehicle and you will really see where the T6 shines. Our gas mileage has been 16mpg city and 22mpg highway. This has been without the AC on. I personally like the feel of the speed sensitive power steering in the T6, the wood trimmed steering wheel, the look of the 18" Atlantis wheels, and the sound and feel of the T6 engine. The only downside in comparison is that the 4-speed transmission in the T6 is not as seamless as the 5-speed in the 2.5T, but this is old news. Go for another test drive in each. It is a hard decision and depends alot on your driving style and needs.
  • Options
    I will have to totally agree with daschund2. I read somewhere that it's better to "cry once" when buying something expensive – I subscribe to this view. My other car is a 2000 Toyota Celica GT – I now wished I had bought the GTS because of the added features. While I didn't get every package available, I wanted to get the top of the line model. (Right now I simply regret not getting the reversing radar sensor factory installed – but this is always an option.)
  • Options
    beevalbeeval Member Posts: 7
    I'm happy to say I drove the XC90 extensively this weekend after the emergency brake repair, and it did beautifully.

I agree with all that although I've had this problem, I consider it minor and absolutely love this vehicle!
  • Options
    Hope your XC90 will give you many miles of troublefree enjoyment.
  • Options
    imfookieimfookie Member Posts: 10
    Someone posted on another board that those of us who will be getting 2004's. Will receive the new keys that have the key portion fold into the remote. This will make it more compact and comparable to other luxury car's Key/remote.
  • Options
    londonfinlondonfin Member Posts: 31
    Does anyone have any suggestions/info on where the best place to purchase the VIP plan is? I'd prefer to stick with Volvo's own extended warranty but was not sure if any dealers were willing to give a better rate than others, and if one could purchase from any US Volvo dealer. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
  • Options
    Before you commit yourself to Volvo's VIP plan do yourself a favor and look at Warranty Gold's top of the line plan with no deductible and full coverage.

I cross shopped VERY hard before I bought and even the service writers where I get my car done are very impressed with their Warranty Gold experience (especially with the ease with which they'll approve repairs and even pay for software downloads if needed). If the prices work out to be the same then I would go with VIP but in my case VIP was quoted at nearly $4k vs. $2k for Warranty Gold so given the equal or better coverage at half the cost it was a no-brainer in my case.

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    i_yellowi_yellow Member Posts: 30
    Their prices look good indeed, however the don't offer anything for California residents due to some very suspicious CA law. Are there any aftermarket warranty companies that do? Anyone out there know why they're avoiding California business?
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    Have you telephoned them? I beleive the law is they can't offer them for sale over the net (not a bad law, at all, given the rampant fraud in offering warranties)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Adp3 is right - there's a California law in the way:

link

Warrantybynet.com has a similar disclaimer up at their site.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    i_yellowi_yellow Member Posts: 30
    I found one company that isn't blocked by the law due to the way they are structured in California: 1sourceautowarranty.com. They are rated as highly as Warranty Gold according to autowarrantyreviews.org and their quote was significantly less than the dealer's for "better" coverage.
  • Options
    They probably are licensed in CA as a dealer or have otherwise met the other requirments of that law cited above. There are likely some others. 1source used to be an Edmunds partner and there was a flurry of posts over a disgruntled owner a couple of years ago in this discussion:

bolivar "Extended-warranty shoppers be very aware! My bad experience with 1sourceautowarranty.com" May 31, 2001 3:15am

Someone from 1source showed up early in the discussion (post 18) and made a good showing for their operation. I haven't scanned the rest of the posts in there for a long time.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    boilermakerfanboilermakerfan Member Posts: 2
    Anyone tow anything near 5000 lbs. with a 2.5T?
  • Options
    michael115michael115 Member Posts: 7
    are these available yet? Stopped by an after market store to inquire about putting a hitch on - they did not yet have the specs. They mentioned when Volvo releases specs the hitch will be available. Is this something the dealer can install now or is this similar the DVD player issue ...
  • Options
    kaitsukaitsu Member Posts: 41
    Stopped by the local Volvo dealership today and was told that the new 2004 arrivals will have a radio upgrade (presumably to fix the poor AM/FM reception). I had heard a rumor about Volvo offering Polk audio as an option? Anybody who would know the true story?
  • Options
    mooseman3mooseman3 Member Posts: 3
    A must in Scandinavian countries, it is not even an option.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Trailer hitches are available through the dealer at this time.

Haven't heard anything about Polk audio products in Volvos.
    Given their recent return to Dynaudio I doubt that they would use Polk.
  • Options
    The DynAudio speakers are used in the premium setup only from what I've read. Polk Audio would be a very nice complement for the "regulary" Dolby Surround Pro Logic II setup (particularly with Polk's reputation for clean crisp bass response).

I've not heard anything about Polk and Volvo but it is intriguing...

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    7milehi7milehi Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2004 XC90 2.5FWD arriving in May . This vehicle is for the most part loaded including the DVD system . It also has the 18" wheel option . A neighbor of mine is in the tire business and he said he would trade the 18" wheels back to the dealer for the 17" wheels .
     His reasons for doing so are (1) very limited tire choices for an 18" wheel (2) lower profile will give better handling but firmer ride with 18" wheel (3) much higher cost to replace tires , almost $1000 for a set (4) all the tires he was aware of that fit 18" wheels were high performance tires which mean softer compound rubber that is great for aggressive driving but in my area last about 20,000 miles at most .
     I drive about 25,000 miles a year and paying $1000 every 9-10 months for a set of tires to drive mostly on the interstate doesn't make sense to me . Any other thoughts ?
  • Options
    ernest0ternest0t Member Posts: 29
    The only advantage to the 18" wheels is an esthetic one. When initially ordering my 2003 2.5T I thought I wanted the 18" wheels, and actually worked out a deal with the parts guy to swap my 17s for some 18s after the car arrived (plus some cash of course). However I had the chance to see the 17 and 18 inch wheels side-by-side, and started to change my mind. The 17s look really good, and I can assure you they will be easier to clean than the 18s (the XC90 generates quite a bit of brake dust, so you will really appreciate easier cleaning after about the 3rd car wash). Your point about the limited number of 18" tires is also true. The place I get my tires knew of only 1 option and it was nearly $275/tire. At least 1 professional review has confirmed your neighbor on the stiffer ride of the 18" wheels: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 23090.htm
    In addition, several owners and reviewers have confirmed better snow handling with the smaller wheels. So, unless you just can’t live without the look of the 18s, I’d say get the 17s.
  • Options
    you said yours will have the DVD system (vehicle delivered in May). Is this an aftermarket install? If factory/dealer, since when have these been available? My dealer says it will be available around 4th quarter.
  • Options
    7milehi7milehi Member Posts: 28
    Yes the DVD system is a dealer installed option , and it is available now .
  • Options
    just got off the phone with my dealer in the bay area (CA). they say no, not available, hasn't been release, won't be for another 5 months at least... can you tell me your dealer's name/city? i'd like to call them and clear up this discrepency.

(you are talking about the DVD player, not the DVD-based nav system, correct?)
  • Options
    Personally I think the 17" wheels are a little generic in appearance and opted for the almost exotic look of the 18" Atlantis wheels. Our delivery date was 12/31/02, so I have cleaned them many times. I don't find them any more difficult to clean then any other vehicle I've owned. The price for replacement certainly is not cheap, but with more cars (Volvo C70) and SUV's (Nissan Murano,Infiniti FX's) using this size, the number of manufacturers producing this tire should increase and the price should come down some. The XC90 is the smoothest driving SUV I've driven even with the 18" wheels (barring the Lexus RX 300/330). The XC90 is a beautiful vehicle with either wheel choice. The heart won out over the head for me.
  • Options
    jmanthonyjmanthony Member Posts: 1
    We just picked up our xc90. When any of the windows are down or the sunroof open, we pick up a thumping noise that won't go away even if we open other windows. Any clues on how to stop this? Thanks
  • Options
    There's a thread about this - go back to the posts around #925 - #930 (via the Go To Message # box). The fix is to crack open one of the rear windows.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    Hi all. I'm leaning towards buying the X5 but want ot check out the MDX and XC90 first. Can anyone recommend a dealer in Houston or atleast related good & bad experiences w/ dealerships in Houston. I have had miserable experiences w/ Momentum BMW in the past so I'm not likely to visit them.

Secondly, I occasionally tow a 22ft ski boat behind my current yukon w/o difficulty(I read above someone similar to me asked this question but have not seen an answer). Anyway, should I really stay away from "crossover" SUV's like the XC90 and stick to truck based SUV's? I asked the volvo sales rep and he said towing would be fine - he could add a towing pkg but unsure about a tranny cooler. ANybody w/ any extra info?

Thanks
    fo
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The factory DVD player is unavailable at this time, many dealers have gone aftermarket in order to supply a player.

As for towing, the AWD XC90's are rated for 5000lbs.
    No modifications other than a hitch are necessary.
  • Options
    tdabneytdabney Member Posts: 1
    Is the XC 90 a 50 state vehicle in regards to emissions?
  • Options
    jmegjmeg Member Posts: 7
    A few weeks back I posted our miserable buying experience with a 2.5T AWD which had serious problems, uncovered just as we were ready to drive it home. We decided to try again and ordered another 2.5T, this time loaded it up with nav, xenon, reverse warning, prem, and climate. In just a couple of weeks, the dealer found the identical vehicle I had ordered, but with the T6, available now. Tough decision, but in the end we decided to take the T6, and the dealer sweetened the deal with free service, identical to the 04. So far, we are thrilled. This car is fabulous. We will be towing a 4000 lb boat and trailer, and now that I have the T6, I'm so happy we got it. It drives like a dream. Mileage is much better than I expected, at least according to the trip computer, running around 22mpg highway and 18mpg in town, after a little over 1000 miles. I will be checking it more closely, because that exceeds the EPA ratings and seems hard to believe, but for now we couldn't be happier. The ride is smooth, quiet, and powerful, and, so far, we are very happy with the car and encourage any fence sitters to go ahead and get one, you will love it. We have not actually towed anything with the T6 yet but will post our experience when we do. I've been a regular visitor and enjoy the forum.

P.S. I agree with dachsund2 on the 18" wheels. They are beautiful and definitely make for a smoother, quieter ride. We might not have ordered them because we never test drove a model with the 18's, but they make the difference between a nice ride and something really great, comparable to the Lexus RX300. I advise anyone to test the XC90 with both types of tires before making a choice.
  • Options
    I noticed in the 2003 brochure that automatic leveling was offered as an option on the XC90. Has anybody ordered it and what was the cost? Do I really need one on the XC90? Every time I pack our 850 wagon for a trip I wish we had one, the wagon gets rear-heavy quickly. Thanks!
  • Options
    I have the T6 loaded, like yours, with after market DVD as well with approx. 1000 miles. I echo your comments to fence sitters about the ride, 18" inch wheels etc. This is an amazing automobile in every sence.
  • Options
    schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Although it may be a bit late now...

We ordered the XC90 T6 and will be going to Sweden in November to drive it for 2 weeks before they put it on a boat for home. I decided not to get the Xenon lights and was curious how you guys liked those and if there is a true difference over the standard 'cause I've heard good things about both. Additionally which DVD screen did you have put in? We were planning on having the screens put in the headrests because I was worried about the rear view mirror and any obstruction. Does the player fit pretty well underneath the passenger seat?

Thx,

Craig
  • Options
    Forget my question on the leveling option, I noticed that the Nivomat self-leveling is part of the Versatility Pkg (which we would get anyway...)
  • Options
    jp666jp666 Member Posts: 15
    I am hesitant about the after market DVD and am holding off purchase of the XC 90 till they have it factory installed...Is that a valid concern ? Also, what is the best cost guess to install it in the headrests vs from the ceiling ? I guess you install it in both headrests ?
  • Options
    sandyd3sandyd3 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a call from my local dealer and the T6 which I had ordered back in December '02, will arrive here in about two weeks!! He started listing off the options and I noticed that reverse warning was added (and I hadn't ordered it). I called back today and confirmed that reverse warning was not something I ordered or wanted and he assured me that if I didn't order it, I wouldn't have to pay for it, that they would just throw it in for free.

He knows that I will be leasing this car, so is it possible that I will end up paying for the reverse warning one way or another?

thanks,
    Sandy
  • Options
    I've had one installed after market via my dealer in my T6. It cost approx. $1800 and has been seamless so far. I will give you my dealer's info. if Edmunds permits me and if you request it.
  • Options
    You may include the dealership name and city/state where you purchased, but please, no direct links to the dealership site. Also, please do not post salespeople's names, phone numbers or email contact information. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    davidthompsondavidthompson Member Posts: 36
    Back when we were driving Hondas, we had identified a couple of great web sites that various Honda dealers had set up to sell original Honda parts and accessories by mail order and at a substantial discount. On their web site was a visual catalog of the items available, and you could even download PDF's of installation instructions. Ordering was all-online, with real-time pricing.

Now that we have moved over to Volvo, I would like to find a similar source for XC90 parts and accessories. Can anyone recommend a web site or two? I did a bit of searching around this evening and couldn't find anyone that had a complete range of items up with pricing and purchasing online.

Thanks for your help - if you prefer you are welcome to contact me privately at te@compuserve.com.

David
  • Options
    Has anyone ordered the security package with their XC90? How well does an aftermarket tint work with the laminated glass? Have you noticed lower cabin noise from the laminated glass? Thanks!