Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• davv62davv62 Posts: 76
    One type of driver that I find very annoying is the type that hesitates at a green light, then goes through it just before it turns red, leaving the car behind them to sit at the red light.

This morning, I had a car in front of me and I was approaching a light that stays green for a short time and red for a long time. I was late for my train. The car hesitated for no apparent reason (nobody else was coming in either direction) and then went through the light just as it was changing. I followed right behind the car and the light turned red just as I was under it. Midway through the intersection, when it was too late to stop or go back, I saw a cop. Luckily, he didn't bother me.

Overly passive and hesitant drivers can be just as problematic as overly aggressive drivers.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    I can't stand people who can't tell the difference when you're at an intersection that crosses more like an X diagram than a cross with straight lines.

They'll sit there, confused, trying to figure out which light is theirs and which is the other, regardless of such obvious clues as 1)the opposite direction lane drivers have already driven through the intersection, 2)all cars at the intersecting street are still stopped, 3)cars behind them are honking, and 4) if they just slanted their head (instead of trying to stare directly at the traffic lights), they could actually differentiate between the two.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,460
    My boss was nailed on I295 in NJ (near Trenton) on the way to work today. The inconsiderate drivers? The state police. The road is 3 lanes wide, and they set up a rolling road block in the left 2 lanes, using non-cop cars (an old Acura and a buick). They just ran side-by-side at 65 (the speed limit on that stretch). Boss follweed them a while, and finally moved from the left lane, over to the right lane (of 3) and passed them, then moved back over.

Of course, just down the road the chase car nailed him. The truly inconsiderate part? They added reckless driving to the speeding part, because he moved over 2 lanes to pass (he did signal). Seems it is OK to LLC, but changing lanes is reckless? Wonder how long you have to stay in the middle lane for it to count (3 second rule?)

With all the idiocy you see on the highways around here, this stunt was certainly dangerous at the least. Plus they copped an attitude about his "recklessness"

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

side by side at 65mph and your boss did indeed pass them, he is technically speeding.

One time I almost got a ticket for "tailgating" since it's the law that for every 10 miles you're driving, you have to be 1 car length behind the car in front of you. So technically, if you're doing 40, you gotta be 4 car lengths behind the car in front of you! Yeah, as if I see that getting obeyed by even the cops.
    True, and the chase cop was quick to point that out. He wasn't arguing about that (since he ws speeding), but the reckless add-on is what steamed his clams. That, and for sensing something was wrong, and not holding back.

If you spend much time on NJ highways, only those 2 cops and a 90 year old women with cataracts drving a '62 Caddy (the lady, not the cataracts)were the only ones not speeding. If they want to stop people for doing 75, it is like shooting fish in a barrel. They don't have to create a traffic hazard to do it.

The budget deficit in NJ must be worse than I thought. Must be a revenue measure.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

Official speed limit is 65, but people zoom by at 80+ mph on the left lanes!
  • ranaldranald Posts: 147
    Heh, in my Jersey driving experience, *not* tailgating is dangerous. If you try to leave what most sane folks would consider a "safe" distance between yourself and the car in front on you, people will cause pileups in their haste to cut in front on you. :)

Tailgating is a necessary self-defense mechanism, so the merging-challenged (which means everyone, in NJ) aren't misled into thinking they can fit -and expecting that they might *match speeds* when they cut in front is purely ridiculous.
  • stickguy-

Last time I drove home from college (PA to NJ), I noticed that one of the towns somewhere in the vicinity of Lambertville had come up with an interesting solution to slow people down. They had parked several police cars on the median with dummies in the drivers' seats. It was actually a really funny thing to see; the dummies had police hats on and everything. They must be short-staffed :-)

-Andrew L
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    Doesn't NJ have "jug handles" to make left hand turns. Is it NJ or MA that calls circles "round-a-bouts". I get so confused.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,584
    IN Massachusettes they call it a rotary, here in NY we call it a traffic circle.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• ranaldranald Posts: 147
    I've seen "jug handle" left turns both in MA and NJ, but they seem to be relatively rare and only done out of desperation, where a normal left turn simply cannot be made. (Rt 17 in NJ, Rt 9 in MA)

Oh, and the term "round-a-bout" is an English thing. Nobody calls it that here.
    Are only seen in areas where the speed limits are usually 45-55 mph, and of course people will drive 10 miles faster than the posted speed limit. On 65mph highways, they're very rare, practically non-existent. If the speed limit is less than 40 on a relatively busy multi-lane roadway, they have those horrible center lanes.
    Their reasoning is that those roads aren't busy (which is partially true) up until rush hour, so the cost of building a jug handle (which would also require a traffic light) outweighs its usefulness.
    I live near Phila. in south Jersey, and jug handles are quite popular here. You just have to be careful giving directions to out of towners.

They are also in the process of getting rid of traffic circles. I personally think they are fun (but that certainly puts me in the minority), and are actually pretty efficient when traffic is moderate. Better than sitting at a light when no cars are coming.

Hard to be incosiderate in a circle, since I think the official law is that there are no rules, although you can usuallly figure out the logical flow of who has the ROW

• mstsscmstssc Posts: 89
    Traffic circles (round abouts) are quite efficient if traffic is moderate and more or less equal from all directions. They are also the only real way (i think) of connecting more than 4 roads with a single intersection.

There are some rules here such as the car in the circle has the ROW, get to the inside if you are travelling more than 1 exit.

Have driven them in a number of countries in Europe including on the left hand side. Some really are a free for all.
  • I drive to work down 295 toward your neck of the woods. I noticed they are out in force the last few days. Must be the old end-of-the-month effect for the troopers.
    Usually they pick the same old hiding spots, but theis week they've been getting creative. Almost got me twice.
    Some of the traffic circles in the District of Columbia have traffic lights on them. I am sure Dupont Circle has stop lights. Some other circles have under passes for through traffic on major roads.
    DC has the most traffic circles of any U.S. city. It was designed by L'Enfant. The theory was that artillery pieces could be positioned on the circles and fire down the streets denying an invader an easy time of moving about. Now, they just deny easy access to motorists.
    BTW I know that some place I have driven called circles round a bouts. I have never driven in England. I think it may have been Colorado.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,584
    I just thought I'd share with you all the sheer joy I've experienced being a New Yorker in the past hour. First I brought my lunch in from home and while cutting it so it microwaves better, I spilled it all over the floor (now my cube smells like cold chicken and rice even after I cleaned it up). So in order to get lunch, I had to go to the Bank (Chase Manhattan 23rd & 6th). While crossing 23rd street, I was grazed by a cab who couldn't stop soon enough. I landed on my knuckle and bruised it. The guy didn't even stop! Then after I got up, I went to the bank. While crossing back over 23rd street, a delivery guy runs into me & knocks me over...What a SALTY DAY I'm having!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    The underpasses on the traffic circles were actually for the streetcars. When the streetcars were retired, they were converted to traffic lanes.

I have noticed on Rte 100 in Maryland that some of the exit ramps are going to traffic circles now. Rte 29 in Howard County is in the process of being converted to limited access, the new ramp at Johns Hopkins Rd is also featuring a traffic circle. Apparently they are making a comeback
    I would have taken the cab to a Deli on 43rd street, and had a pastrami on rye with a couple half done pickles. I would have done some window shopping at the camera stores, and taken a cab back. I would have told my boss that I was giving a bus load of visiting Uzbeckistanies directions to the Staten Island Ferry
  • 2nd Avenue Deli

There IS no substitute! :)
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I for one am glad we don't have too many of these in the U.S. Chicago drivers are bad enough on straight roads with 'regular' intersections. We do have a few of these, but generally at one intersection or another, the street signs are missing, so it's not uncommon to see one or more cars going around the circle several times to figure out where they need to be (I've done this, too, admittedly). No thanks.
    I'll defer to your 2nd avenue Deli.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I'm tooling down Diversey behind an old Mazda full of teenage girls. Someone in an SUV from a street on the left (rather than sitting at the stop sign like a good driver) is all the way in the oncoming lane, sitting almost parallel to us (so almost no peripheral vision) waiting to get pull out. The dingbat in the Mazda stops (there's nobody behind me, so SUV moron woulda had to wait like five seconds). The SUV is still sitting there, like, forever. So I start to go around the Mazda, at which point BOTH of them, of course, start driving again at the same time, almost causing a three-car collision. Grrrrr.

A classic case of someone (Mazda) trying to be considerate but just screwing everything up and pissing me off in the process.
  • I am from South NJ. I work in PA! The ride is an hour long, but could be so much shorter if people would just stop being stupid!

Here is my biggest gripe driving to work in the morning....driving in PA, where route 322 meets Route 1.

As you are turning off of 322, there are three lanes the Right lane (makes a right), the center lane, (makes a left into the right hand lane on Route 1), and the left lane (turns left into either the inner left or center lane on Route 1).

My gripe, people in the center lane on 322 ALWAYS cross the dotted line to turn into the center lane
    on Route 1. It would be ok if they didnt do it as they are making the turn, like if they got further down on Route 1 and put on a blinker to move into the center lane! You cannot cross the dotted line going into a turn!

Whats wrong with people?
  • daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    unless there are only two of you in the traffic situation, you can't be "courteous" to one driver without being discourteous to one or more others.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Posts: 885
    I've seen this done before with cars, but yesterday was the first time I saw if done with pedestrians...a couple of kids were trying to cross a 4 lane divided highway. There are no stop lights or signs, nor was their a pedestrian crosswalk. The kids were waiting in the median for traffic to clear. A driver in the left lane STOPS and waves them accross, oblivious to the fact that cars in the RIGHT lane are still moving at the posted speed limit of 45 mph. Cars behind this guy in the left lane were making panic stops to avoid hitting each other. Fortunately the kids were alert enough to just stare at the idiot with a "yagottabekiddinme" look on their faces.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    Here's one I've seen at least 5 times since Christmas... left turn on red. Yes, they all MADE it, but I'm wondering where the idea has come from that it's OK to do this!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• haspelbeinhaspelbein Posts: 227
    ...I once saw a German traffic court sentence somebody because she stopped to wave a pedestrian over without checking that traffic in the other lanes has stopped also.
    Her actions resulted in the death of the pedestrian, as he was hit by a passing car in the other lane.

I'm currently residing in CA, but I'm actually unsure how a court would see it over here.
    Come on, it's Jersey! I used to get road rage a lot, but after watching a show about road rage on TV, I stopped cold turkey.

I try not to let it get to me. I don't even flip the birdie anymore.
  • daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    I once t-boned a VW whose driver was not as smart as the kids that you mentioned when a driver in the left lane invited him rush into oncomming right lane traffic.