Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Has anyone noticed or had trouble with excessive brake wear due to the Regenerative Brake system used to charge the batteries? Also, has anyone ever got a straight answer from a dealer on what the cost is to replace the NiMH batteries when they die? Just curious. I don't think it will keep me from buying one of these.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Firstly, the regenerative system, to the extent it should have any effect at all on the brakes, might keep them from wearing out quite as quickly as on a conventional car, not the other way around. Whenever the car coasts, the batteries are being recharged, which takes energy OUT of the car's forward momentum, which makes conventional braking easier, not harder.

Secondly, none of these cars have been in service long enough for any conclusions to be drawn about much of anything short of the obvious differences in performance and fuel consumption.

And finally, the cost of the batteries will continue to drop - whatever dollar figure you would be quoted today, it promises to be much lower by the time anyone has to replace any batteries out of the 8 year warranty period. The technology marches on relentlessly...
  • Options
    hybridhopefulhybridhopeful Member Posts: 2
    I was just offered $19,200 for a CVT model Civic Hybrid in Los Angeles. Seems like the prices are dropping all over the country. I thought it was too good to be true until I saw these other posts. QUESTION: Does anyone know of any aftermarket accessories that are available for the Hybrid like DVD Navigational systems, etc.? I found a Japanese Honda website that talks about a navigation system for the Civic Hybrid but the costs and details are in Japanese.
  • Options
    tim552tim552 Member Posts: 13
    The $19,318 walk out price turned out to be a "mistake". Normally, I would write this off as typical car dealer shenanigans, but after being shown how the mistake was made (he was looking at a Civic Si number) and seeing how profusely he apologized (he said he would understand if we walked out immediately), I then renegotiated. Ended up paying 400 over invoice. The "titanium" color is gold, pure and simple. It was a 30-mile drive home in ridiculous mid-90's heat and the instant mileage indicator hung around 38.4. There is no doubt that the a/c really cuts into the mileage.

So far, in 30 miles worth of driving, I am impressed. My most serious concern (if you want to call it that) is the lack of room for CD's. I love having the CD player, but where am I gonna keep the CD's? In the glove box?

The electric blue dash lights are way cool.
  • Options
    hybridhopefulhybridhopeful Member Posts: 2
    Funny you should mention that, because the first Honda dealer I went to made the exact same "mistake" except he said he was looking at the price for an Insight. The salesman apologized profusley and explained to me what happened and expected me to leave too, but then they drew me back in when they said they'd honor the deal (except my deal wasn't as good as yours) basically they were willing to sell me the car at MSRP tax/tags included. Needless to say I didn't take it, but I was very tempted. This must be a reliable sales tactic for them.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Give me a break! If you ever tried reading one of our price sheets you would realize how easy it is to miss a line etc.

A "sales tactic"...I doubt it!
  • Options
    We have 330+ miles on our new Hybrid. Mostly freeway driving. Our other car, a 2000 Honda Accord EX (with all the toys) just sits now as we always pick the Hybrid if it's available. The Accord gets around 25 mpg; so far, our CVT is getting 42. Can't wait for cold weather. I expect upper 40's when we can turn off the A/C. It is a quiet car unless the road surface is gravelly. Like all Hondas, it directs itself straight ahead - feels solid and tight.
  • Options
    robvig12000robvig12000 Member Posts: 16
    The manual says 10,000 miles; the Service Mgr. at Howdy Honda in Austin said 7,500 miles; and the salesman said 5,000 miles. I've got 2000 miles on my CVT Hybrid since mid-May and the weather here in Texas has been hot. I'm thinking sooner is better than later. Any thoughts? I know the additive in the oil is suppose to help the seals and all that.

Thanks.
  • Options
    spidermonkeyspidermonkey Member Posts: 30
    When in doubt, follow the manual. The Honda engineers who wrote and reviewed the manual know more about this car than the dealership, especially the sales people. If you're nervous you could just split the difference between the Service Manager's suggestion and the manual.
  • Options
    kcisivkcisiv Member Posts: 23
    For those interested in hybrid pricing, I would suggest trying Priceline.com, believe it or not.

*If* you find a dealer who will meet your price, they charge you $50 for the service. If not, they charge nothing. We were able to get a 5-speed (they do exist in the Chicago area!)for $18,700 by starting with our local area and then expanding our search into surrounding counties until they found a dealer who would meet that price. Having the price set in advance made dealing with the dealer easy and pleasant.

By the way, I re-visited the hybrid page on Edmunds.com the other day and noticed they've finally posted an invoice price...but the price they posted is $15,864 (5-speed), when all other sources say $17,864! Is it possible Honda has dropped the invoice price (sure wouldn't feel good about the deal I made in that case!), or is this just a mistake??
  • Options
    Even if you don't consider your driving conditions to be "severe," oil changes is one area where I would at least follow the "severe" conditions maintenance schedule.

Owners' manuals seem to lean on the side of giving the maximum mileage that a halfway conscientious owner could go between oil changes. I discussed this a couple years back with a couple of outstanding mechanics with extensive Honda experience, and they strongly believe that 5,000 miles should be the maximum between changes...and 3,000 has definite benefits in terms of longevity.

Of course, this was pre-hybrid, but I don't see why this would be any different for this car. Our dealer recommended an initial oil change at 1000 miles (to remove any debris that might come from the new engine) followed by a change at least every 5000.

Related issue: has anyone found the 0W20 oil at a Jiffy Lube or whatever, or are we all going to be forking over $30 for dealer oil changes on the hybrid?
  • Options
    I've always changed my own oil, but the process is obviously more complicated on a Hybrid (as described in the manual). I, too, have never seen 0W-20 anywhere. So in order to continue the habit of doing the job myself, I must:

1. Procure the oil.

2. Decide if the process is something I can do myself.
  • Options
    econguyeconguy Member Posts: 12
    Has anybody else noticed that the inside of the driver and passenger doors seem to flex in and out as their respective windows are operated? If so, is this normal?

cmyers300m: I was told that a new battery pack (currently) costs around $3000. However, I agree with jrct9454 in that prices should be significantly lower by the time that it will need replacing.
  • Options
    cason621cason621 Member Posts: 15
    Update on the discussion of the trip computer's MPG accuracy...

After 2200 miles with my CVT, by manually computing my MPG (miles / gallons dispensed), I am also seeing the onboard computer overstating the MPG by 10% I buy my gas at various dealers in different weather conditions, so I have eliminated gas pump calibration as a variable.

Since I was the one who supported the computer's calculation in an earlier post, my apologies to the original poster. You're right, it's off.
  • Options
    Yup, mine do the same thing. I assumed it was normal.
  • Options
    I'm interested in the CVT mileages people are getting in less than optimal driving conditions. I've seen the posts of 50 mpg, which I assume are on highways with few stops and moderate speed. I got 50 mpg myself between Los Angeles and Palm Springs driving at 65 mpg with the AC on.

However, I live and work in a small coastal suburb of LA with the worst possible conditions for mileage: residential area with lots of hills and a 4-way stops at every corner. I manage 37-40 mpg, using every trick I know, such as gathering speed downhill/coasting uphill, rolling stops, easy acceleration, higher tire inflation, etc.

Your experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
  • Options
    I've owned multiple cars over the years with various forms of onboard trip computers [most significantly BMW], and never had them correlate with real-world logbook consumption over a year or more's worth of miles. The computer was always optimistic about how much fuel was being used - it varied from 5-10% - as opposed to a careful logged calculation over a number of months and dozens of fillups. Never figured it out, and have no explanation for you now, either...
  • Options
    jhylerjhyler Member Posts: 1
    I purchased our Hybrid Civic with the CVT in mid-April so that my wife would have a new vehicle
    to drive to work. Since we purchased it, we have had nothing but trouble.
    The gas mileage is averaging about 39-40 MPG.
    This is a result of mechanical calculations from several tanks of fuel from different stations and/
    or pumps. The electronic mileage indicator on the
    dashboard indicates consistently 41.2-5 MPG, so in
    reference to other postings, the electronic MPG calculator on the dashboard is off. I am not overly impressed with the MPG, but figure that
    this is because of both the usage of AC and driver inexperience with how to draw the most
    efficiency from the motor.
    However, we had not had the car for a week
    when while my wife was driving to work, the Low-
    battery, IMA, and engine Malfunction lights all
    came on at the same time. We took the car to the
    dealer and received a loaner vehicle to use. The
    service people, in contact with tech support,
    thought that the computer had not been booted com-
    pletely. So they did a complete reboot. I picked
    up the car, drove it all that afternoon with no
    problems. The next day, I decided to drive it to
    work. On the way, the same Low-battery, IMA, and
    Engine Malf. lights flashed on again. The dealer
    came to my workplace with another loaner and picked up my car. After several days of testing
    and driving, they narrowed the trouble down to a
    set of electronic sensors that monitor and regulate voltage between the battery and IMA battery systems. They swapped out the sensors with
    another Hybrid and returned the car to me. The other Hybrid later failed in test driving with the
    same array of warning lights. I thought that the
    problems were over.
    Now, the car is in the shop again. Last week
    the Engine Malf. light flashed on again. The service people with their amazing computer could
    not find out why. Now, three days later, they say
    that in collaboration with tech support, it appears to be another sensor. Sound familiar?
    We have had the car for less than 4 months
    and 2500 miles, and have had the car in the shop
    three times for related issues. Have any of you
    had any trouble with your Hybrids, along this line
    of trouble or any other?
  • Options
    spratt1spratt1 Member Posts: 53
    I am sorry to hear of the problems you have had. You may have just gotten a lemon, for which there is no cure no matter what the car is. Read sites for other makes and you'll find many such unfortunate stories, though some makes have more than others.

We have had our CVT hybrid for two months and 1500 miles. It has worked like a dream. We like everything about it and as others have stated use it almost exclusively. Our SUV sits except for when we pick up large items from Home Depot, etc.

The power is actually pretty good, even for passing. We went on a 300 mile trip and it road well and I had several opportunities to pass.

Hope they get the problems sorted out, else you should tell them to give you a new hybrid. You may have to use your state's lemon law procedures.
  • Options
    sansskisansski Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Hybrid just two weeks ago just over $19k. Loving it. I didn't test drive the Toyota Hybrid, but I don't like the Toyota's body shape. Plus, I had a Tercel in college for 5-6 years, and the brake system really left a bad taste for Toyota for me.

So far, I don't have the IMA problem so far. It's been just under 900 miles. I have the same experience, however, with the 40 MPG instead of the posted 48/47 on sticker and 51 on the official Honda Civic Hybrid brochure. I drive "normal" as probably one would with a new car. Is it normal? I cannot imagine that I would be able to get to 50 MPG from driving from LA downtown to Palm Springs... I mostly drive from Orange County to San Diego and back.

Also, the inner steering wheel paint/color coat is running off by the thumb where I grab. Is this normal? It's only been 900 miles...

Other than these two items, I am really happy I have this Hybrid. Should I bring the car back to the dealership for question for the MPG and discoloration?

Also, I got an advice from the sales person to take the car back for service just to check up at 3000 miles. It would be at my own cost, but it would be good to check.

I got a cheaper deal out of three dealer ship on carpets and mud guard for $89 each set in Costa Mesa. It took about 4 days to come.
  • Options
    ...when the cars are this new. My experience with Hondas is that it takes upwards of 7000 miles to get the engine completely loosened up and producing both max power and min fuel consumption.

Anyone who has 5000 miles or more, better more, has a legitimate beef if the car is not performing properly...until then, be patient, and you'll see better results down the road.
  • Options
    spratt1spratt1 Member Posts: 53
    I wish to echo #175's comment on the MPG. Most vehicles take 3,000 to 10,000 miles to get the maximum MPGs. Took about 8,000 on my Passat. I get a consistent 42 to 44 mpg on my civic hybrid with 1500 miles on it. That is still twice what I got on my Passat before trading it in.

The color should not run off on to your hands. I did not have that problem, though I only experienced the standard wheel surface for a few weeks. I purchased the leather wrap add-on from Honda. It is far superior to anything you can get in an auto parts store. Uses thin unbreakable tread and is high quality leather. Has unpunched sections that match were the wheel spokes are. Kit costs $59.00. They want about $100.oo to install. I installed it myself in about 1-1/2 hours. Looks like original equipment.
  • Options
    joew7joew7 Member Posts: 6
    My new Hybrid is just 2 weeks old and I am very satisfied. There is indeed a discrepancy between computed MPG and calculated. One problem - The gas gauge stopped decrementing with 4 marks left on the bar. I stopped to refuel after 395 miles on the odometer. The tank took in 14.1 gallons -- .9 over rated capacity. I must have been driving on fumes. After the fill the gas gauge is stuck on full -- even after 80 miles. I have a appointment to get this fixed in a couple of weeks. In the meantime I'll watch the miles driven. Regarding the question about the doors flexing when the windows are closed. This occurs on Civics and Accords. Perfectly normal.
  • Options
    > I have the same experience, however, with the
    > 40 MPG instead of the posted 48/47 on sticker
    > and 51 on the official Honda Civic Hybrid
    > brochure. I drive "normal" as probably one would
    > with a new car. Is it normal?... I mostly
    > drive from Orange County to San Diego and back.

You might want to know that the 51 mpg is for the 5-speed (46/51); you must have bought the CVT, which has the 48/47 rating.

As others have noted, you can expect mileage to increase as the car breaks in; many people see a noticeable improvement around 5000 miles. I would think, though, that on your route you could do better than 40...I'm getting about 46 on a surface-streets commute with lotsa stops and no open highway driving.

A great place to look for some driving tips is InsightCentral (www.insightcentral.net); these pages are focused on the Honda Insight, but most of the driving tips apply to the Civic Hybrid, too. Also, if you're using the A/C a lot, this will seriously dent your mileage--most people say 8-10 mpg.

> The gas gauge stopped decrementing with
    > 4 marks left on the bar....After the fill
    > the gas gauge is stuck on full -- even
    > after 80 miles.

Nearly all gas gauges are non-linear: that is, the last 1/4 tank shown by the gauge goes much, much faster than the first 1/4 tank. The HCH's seems a little more linear than most, but definitely the first few bars still last the longest. It's not too surprising, then, that it seems "stuck on full" (you've probably used less than 2 gallons), but the failure to go all the way down suggests a bad gauge or sensor.
  • Options
    Had to take an unplanned road trip Monday from Rockwall, TX to San Antonio, as our first grandchild arrived 3 weeks early (all went went with the baby). On the four hour trip down, got a registered 40.4 mpg. Why so low?

1. Drove into a headwind all the way.
    2. Averaged 75 mph and I think optimum mileage on the CVT can be obtained between 45-60 mph.
    3. Used cruise control a lot. I'm convinced I can do better than C/C.

On the return trip, I got 42.4 mpg. No headwind to plow into and I used my foot more than C/C.

It's unfair to compare this car with my 2000 Accord EX, but the Accord is a better travelling car comfort-wise. But then, that is unfair. The Civic isn't the Accord...yet.
  • Options
    rileyyhrileyyh Member Posts: 49
    Well, I've had my Civic Hybrid for a little over 4,300 miles. I just went to apply for a job and will be working at a courier service starting monday. So far I've driven my car normally and have received an average of 38mpg. I use regular fuel (87octane), and have no modifications except leather seats. I have seen up to 51mpg, but that was when I was driving with hard acceleration and coasting most of the way. I'm awaiting my 5k mark since people say that's when the performance should go up. One perk of my job will be that anything purchased for my vehicle will be tax deductable from the company. I'm considering washer lights, under car neons, and if possible, an AEM cold air intake kit, fog lights, and maybe an exhaust kit (something quiet though, i don't like noisy cars). Aesthetically, you might not agree, but I'm trying to see if there's a way to increase the power of my car while improving my mileage.

riley
  • Options
    marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    I've been considering a hybrid for similar use. I hope you will share future experiences on gas mileage. My greatest concern was I read if used in excessive stop/go driving the gas engine could idle on stops to recharge the drained batteries. This sounded like it will negate some of gas savings (as regenerative breaking will still be advantageous over non hybrids).

On the other hand the promise of a directly proportional gas consumption to miles covered is hard to resist.

Heres courier Nirvana: 50 gallons for 5,000 miles regardless of a thousand stops and 50 hours idling (gas engine in auto stop PLS!!) in between.

In less than a year you'd be recouping the hybrid premium no sweat (-;
  • Options
    robvig12000robvig12000 Member Posts: 16
    Any thoughts on the best combination of settings for the Air Conditioning? I have A/C, Recycle, and Economy on, with the AUTO settings on both dials. Anyone seen better or worse mileage with any other combinations? I live in the Austin, TX area; so, A/C is reality down here right now.

I do toggle the A/C button off when going up a hill. Anyone else doing things like this?

I've got 2800 miles and like most of you, I'm getting in the low to mid-40's in terms of MPG.

Rob V.
  • Options
    rgpalmer99rgpalmer99 Member Posts: 1
    Considering buying a Hybrid, but I have one particular concern. I test drove the Hybrid and then immediately tried the Civic EX afterward. In my mind the EX was much *quieter* inside. The Hybrid seemed to transmit a lot more road noise into the cabin than the EX did. Does anyone here have the same impression? I was trying to figure out why this is, and the only two ideas I have come up is that the Hybrid maybe has less sound insulation to save weight, or else this additional noise is due to the low-rolling resistance tires on the Hybrid. Ideas anyone? I am wondering what tires people have on their Hybrids. The one I test drove had Dunlops, and who knows what they were inflated to. If anybody would like to e-mail their ideas or thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated. Need to decide by Friday 8/23 what direction to take. I can be e-mailed directly at rgpalmer99@yahoo.com, or post here. Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Could have been the tires. The low rolling resistance tires tend to be noisy. Car and Driver claimed the Hybrid seemed quieter and smoother then the LX model and their test car used Dunlops. However, their sound level meter indicated about average sound levels for this class. It registered 73dba at 70 mph and 74 at full throttle. Meaning the car is almost as loud on the highway as it is when you floor it.
  • Options
    I'm surprised how little advertising I'm seeing in Southern California for the HCH. Much more for the Prius. The biggest reason I bought the HCH was to support the technology. I'd feel better if Honda was pushing the car more. Is it different in other parts of the country?

BTW, anyone else see the latest Road and Track, where they're speculating on an Acura NSX hybrid?
  • Options
    bowkebowke Member Posts: 169
    the speculation stems from the concept: honda dualnote...440hp that gets roughly 36-40mpg in a sedan! i just say wow! the original hybrid technology was produced for power, not fuel consumption. the gas mileage is just a positive by-product.
    as far as mileage goes, i drive a HCH as a dealer demo...the trick is to use the mileage indicator like a video game...no matter what the performance does...its tough, but in suburban driving with a little highway mixed in, im getting a 48.3 avg.

however, dont be alarmed with a little less...how many times has a car actually achieved the posted EPA rating on the sticker? lol
  • Options
    wgraferwgrafer Member Posts: 592
    Hey, has anyone figured out the true Hybrid costs over the long term? While Honda warranties the batteries for 80k, expected life is only 100k. After test driving a hybrid this week and being duly impressed, I asked the service advisor how much the required battery replacement would cost. The answer was just under $3k, or .03/mile. Maybe I'm dense, but this extra cost on top of the purchase premium seems to way overwhelm any fuel cost savings. Even the purchase premium vs. a regular Civic doesn't make financial sense. Am I missing something???
  • Options
    rileyyhrileyyh Member Posts: 49
    After one week of working as a courier, I now have about 5k, a gain of a bout 700 miles in a five day period. In VA, it's been really hot so I usually have the AC on. I'm getting 40 or around 38 with my "courier mentality" driving. While I do achieve great mileage driving within the speed limit, I'm getting 38mpg when I'm constantly on the gas. I've gone 83mph on the highway at about 3300rpm. The more I drive my car, the more I like it.

One thing I was wondering about was the tires, I have Dunlop SP25E or something like that. Now, I heard some of you say that you have Michelin's and I was wondering, could it be that only one of these are low roll resistant and the other is just a regular 14" tire? I was thinking maybe that my mileage was poorer because my tires might be regular 14". I went to the dunlop site and looked at what they said about my tires. They didn't mention anything about low roll resistance.

Finally, I was thinking of installing a Navigation system for my car since I'm a courier. I was looking at the Alpine systems, but was wondering if my Honda dealer would be able to install a system for me from their aftermarket's department. I'm thinking that they can install either the odyssey/acura mdx navigation systems, or maybe they have alpine aftermarket which they can install for me. Unless Honda can do it for me for less than $2000 all together, I don't think I will be doing it. After all, this is only going to be a three month job probably. I'm thinking of going to police academy in January if I pass the tests.

riley
  • Options
    all HCH's have dunlop tires...anyone with anything different has either replaced them, or the dealer did it. and yes, the battery packs will go down in price, as all tchnology does...when the insight first debuted, they were approaching $5000!!!
    even as a dealer, ive heard nothing about a 100k mile ceiling on the battery pack. it will be a maintenence item, just as brakes are, but i think the amount of time you use the car will determine the longevity of it rather than the mileage.
  • Options
    jwuerthjwuerth Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    After looking at hybrids for the last year I finally settled on the Honda. I have had the car since Aug. 12 and am loving it more and more with each passing miles. The dealer threw in a tank of gas which I am still using. I have 535 miles and three lights left on the fuel gauge. Anyone know how many miles one can go when the last light is lit? I did set the Trip B on Monday to see what kind of mileage I could get commuting to work and back. My school is twenty-two miles away and 1300 feet higher in elevation. I get 51.5 on the way there and over sixty coming home for a combined average of 57.5. This has been consistent all week with over 200 miles. I certainly do play the video game and try to coast when possible. Even though I am trying to get great gas mileage I do get the car up to speed fairly rapidly. I have been very impressed with the pep and love the five speed. Guess I should have mentioned the transmission earlier. I am convinced that the the driver has better control of the gas mileage with a standard, more ways to cut corners.

What about the downshift arrows? The up shift work fine and I try to shift then unless the road is climbing. I have yet to get the down shift arrow to light even lugging the engine in fifth gear at twenty mph. Anyone else having this problem. It sure is nice to have this sort of a hybrid support group.
  • Options
    >> I have Dunlop SP25E or something like that...
    >> I was thinking maybe that my mileage was poorer
    >> because my tires might be regular 14".

> all HCH's have dunlop tires...anyone with
    > anything different has either replaced them,
    > or the dealer did it.

Not so: mine came off the truck with Bridgestones. All HCHs, however, ship with low-rolling-resistance tires of some kind.

One thing to check is your tire *pressure*--the manual says only 30 psi, which gives a softer ride, but the tires can safely go much higher. I've raised mine to 36, which noticeably improved mpg without giving an uncomfortable ride.
  • Options
    > Hey, has anyone figured out the true Hybrid
    > costs over the long term?...Even the purchase
    > premium vs. a regular Civic doesn't make
    > financial sense. Am I missing something???

No, you're not missing anything. Here's a quick comparison. To make it easy, assume you bought each vehicle at (heaven forbid) MSRP, drove it for a lifetime of 200,000 miles of half city and half highway driving, got exactly the EPA rated fuel efficiency and paid $1.50 per gallon for gas. I also only calculated for 5-speeds.

Given these assumptions, you'd spend $6202 in gas for the hybrid, compared to $7575 for an HX, $8391 for a DX or LX and $8742 for the relatively gas-guzzling EX. But adding this to the MSRP gives $26303 for the hybrid, more even than an EX sedan at $26211. The total cost for a DX sedan would be $21861 and for the economical HX $21646.

So, no, the fuel savings don't offset the purchase cost as compared to another Civic, even without considering potential battery replacement.

Buying the hybrid is more of a statement about saving gas (nearly 1000 gallons in our hypothetical calculation even compared to the HX; 1700 compared to the EX) and lowering pollution than it is about saving money.
  • Options
    > Anyone know how many miles one can go when
    > the last light is lit?

I suspect there might be some individual differences here. On my car, the gas warning light comes on almost exactly when the gas gauge has one bar left, and at this point it takes 12.5 gallons to fill the tank. This would leave 0.7 gallons, so just multiply that by your average mpg...though it's never a great idea to count on getting all of that last gallon...

> What about the downshift arrows?

Yeah, you have to practically stall the car to get the arrow to come on. I guess part of the point of this is that the hybrid is happy at a much lower RPM than a typical car--even if you need to accelerate, you can often press down hard and get the assist to help you without the lugging you'd feel in most cars. But I agree that they may have overdone it a little here...

> It sure is nice to have this sort of a hybrid
    > support group.

Try also the civic_hybrid (which is more active than the confusingly similar civic-hybrid) Yahoo! group.
  • Options
    ...keep in mind in your hypothetical cost analysis, that there is a $2000 tax deduction on all hybrid vehicles for this year...$1500 for next year, $1000 for FY04, and $500 for fy'05. depending on your tax burden, this may put up to $1000 in your pocket this coming tax season.
    if you figure on the 25% bracket, this totals $1250 over the next 4 years. and as the feature content is closer to the EX than the LX, this makes the difference substantial.

p.s. dont forget to add $250 to your EX number for the side airbags that the hybrid has standard.
  • Options
    Back when I had 400 miles on the car I was questioning the gas gauge (see message #177). After filling the tank the first light on the gas gauge did not go off until 172 miles had been driven. Is this typical? I would appreciate hearing about anyone's experience. In the meantime, I have the car at the dealer having all this checked out. After consulting with Honda they tell me nothing's wrong. I asked them to keep checking.
  • Options
    Every car I've owned has had a gas gauge that's heavily "front loaded," that is, moves very slowly for the first 100 miles or so. It always gets my hopes up for a world-record MPG but, alas... My HCH is no different, although I don't go nearly 170 miles before losing the first light.

On another gas gauge topic - when all my lights go out, I take just under 12 gallons. So there's about a 1.5 gallon reserve.
  • Options
    ...every car I've owned in the past 20 years, and certainly since the various fume-trap technologies have been in place, have the effect of moving very slowly off of full, then more linearly [is that a word?] after about 1/4 of the tank is used.

No fuel gauge is anything but a very rough approximation of what is in the tank except when it is very full or about to be empty...and this has been true for my entire 40+ years of driving.
  • Options
    cpwingnutcpwingnut Member Posts: 49
    It seems to be a hot topic but Its a simple explanation. Most fuel guages use a float system (like in the back of most toilets). When the tank is full, the float hits the top of the tank therefore submerging it under the surface of the fuel. As the top portion of the tank is used, the fuel level goes down but the float does not begin to move until the level has decreased by several inches. So the first 50-80 miles of driving has no effect on the guage. After the float does clear the top of the tank and begins to move, the guage drops in relation to the fuel level drop. Hope this helps those of you who were curious
  • Options
    I appreciate all the comments regarding how most gas gauges work. Actually I was asking, based on HCH driver's experiences, at what point in miles does the first light on the gas gauge go out. After my first fill-up the light went out after 172 miles. What are your experiences?
  • Options
    Referring back to message #177, the dealer ran the fuel gauge to one light. As mentioned by another reader, the fuel warning light appeared at that time. The dealer then proceeded to fill the tank to capacity with exactly 11 gallons of gasoline. The tension on the float in the tank was also checked. It would appear that one could drive over 150 miles before the gauge begins to show consumption if you start with a completely full tank.
  • Options
    ...at the first fuel stop, I filled it to just short of overflowing. We are at a friend's house, some 125 miles from the fillup, and the needle hasn't moved.

The nature of float-based measuring systems means that there is no definitive answer to the question about how long it takes to get the needle to move - it depends too much on the nuances of each fill, which are going to be different unless you fill it to overflowing each time.
  • Options
    searchlightsearchlight Member Posts: 5
    I am doing my homework about the civic hybrid because I really want to buy one. I hope this group can help with a few questions:)
    1. What type of oil is used in the CH and do I have to take it to the dealer for oil changes, if so why?
    2. Are all the '03 CH's made in Japan?
    3. How would I decide between manual and standard trans.?
    Thanks in advance for any & all help I appreciate it.
  • Options
    question 1: the oil used in the HCH is 0w20 grade...new, and unavailable aftermarket...at least for now you should go to the dealer for your oil changes...at least until the new grade of oil is available at local joe's garage.

2: yes, all HCH's are built in japan along side the insight and the S2000.

3: the decision between the manual and auto is a completely personal one...you should get a few more MPG in the manual, but the auto is a much easier car to drive. the CVT is a little unsettling to drive at first, but when you get used to it, everything else becomes the "why do they still use those???"

its a beautiful and VERY smooth tranny.
  • Options
    coolstuffcoolstuff Member Posts: 4
    Drove the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid yesterday.Liked them both.Does the Honda really drive better on the expressway and parkway?A few who drove both said the Toyota did not feel as sturdy/safe on the Pkwy and Hwy,is that true?What about going up hills?Thanks.The Prius sales manager was a snotty kid who would not go below 19,500K.The Honda Dealer went to 18,500K.I am buying the Honda automatic with CVT and all the INCLUDED extras,not like the Toyota that wants MORE $$$ for the SAME add ons.See ya Toyota!