Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• Options
    msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Thanks for the post! I have the automatic because my wife wants this and four doors. The coupe looks fantastic, but I am married. You do the math.

My master technician is also researching the engine differences. If he tells me differently, I will post on here. I am going with a new air intake and a new exhaust which yields a 10 - 15% increase in horsepower. This will not void the warranty. A chip change could void the warranty, so am steering clear of that!

BTW - Nissan inflates numbers? Now way! LOL.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    By my count, Nissan's 3.5 liter engine is used in no less than 10 models. Almost all of which have a different horsepower rating, which almost magically corrolates to their marketing "image". Go figure:

240 horsepower / 265 ft-lbs: Pathfinder and QX4
    245 horsepower / 246 ft-lbs: Altima and Murano
    255 horsepower / 246 ft-lbs: I35
    260 horsepower / 260 ft-lbs: G35 sedan
    265 horsepower / 255 ft-lbs: Maxima (2004)
    280 horsepower / 270 ft-lbs: G35 coupe and FX35
    287 horsepower / 274 ft-lbs: 350Z

And if you believe all that variation (+/- 20% in horsepower, +/- 12% in ft-lbs) is legitimately due to different exhaust system "tweaks", you are just the gullible customer Nissan (and the info-mercial guys with the Toronado gizmo) want to meet.

BMW also uses it's 3.0 liter I6 in several models - the 330i, 330ci, 530i, Z4 and X5. Amazingly, they all have the same output ratings. Guess you don't need to tweak horsepower ratings when you let real performance sell the vehicle rather than "horsepower advertising".

Is there any wonder why Nissan/Infiniti horsepower ratings have come under scrutiny, if not ridicule?
  • Options
    Thanks for the post! I have the automatic because my wife wants this and four doors. The coupe looks fantastic, but I am married. You do the math.

My master technician is also researching the engine differences. If he tells me differently, I will post on here. I am going with a new air intake and a new exhaust which yields a 10 - 15% increase in horsepower. This will not void the warranty. A chip change could void the warranty, so am steering clear of that!

• Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    anyone seen it? rated behind the maxima . .

they said best in class was the bmw

lincoln ls and cadillac cts and maxima all ahead of g35

11 out 15 on list :<(
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    You hit it right on the head with that post. I agree completely. But you gotta give it to them its one of the hardest working engines in the business.

M
  • Options
    bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I just checked my online CR subscription and don't see any article, comparison or ranking list that has the G35 since February. Every article I have seen so far has been very good.
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    The G35 article was in the latest mailed out copy to subscribers.
  • Options
    Just found a friend with a copy. This is not the coupe though, it is the sedan. Its interesting how the BMW is still not recommended to purchase.

"Reliability problems have dogged other high-scoring cars in this class, such as the Audi A4, BMW 3-series, and Mercedes-Benz C-class."
  • Options
    scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    Nissan has the publicly stated goal of having the highest horsepower numbers in each class of vehicles they sell. They have the best V-6 on the planet, and tweak it depending on vehicle configuration. A transverse FWD will have significantly different plumbing than a longitudinal RWD or AWD. By adding variable valve timing to both intake and exhaust cams (Max and Alty have intake only), changing the redline, having room to put in a two-stage intake manifold, etc, they can significantly change the torque and HP curves, so you get a Pathy with better low end grunt and a Zed that breathes well all the way through the rev band. I wish that the testing magazines would end the HP bragging war once and for all by dyno testing all of the cars and publishing the results. The only published dyno test I have seen was for the 350Z in Sport Compact Car, where it put down IIRC 236 rwhp. Since the rule of thumb for drivetrain losses is 20% (from the BHP number), it appears that they rate their engines accurately.
  • Options
    mgh_1mgh_1 Member Posts: 22
    5 speed 02 Altimas dyno right around 200 whp. 240 crank rating. 220 - 225 tq dyno rating versus 246 crank.

6 speed 02 / 03 Maximas dyno right around 205 - 210 whp. 255 crank rating. 220 - 225 tq dyno versus a 246 crank rating.

6 speed G35 Coupes dyno right around 235 rwhp. 280 crank rating. Around 235 tq dyno versus 270 crank rating.

6 speed 350Zs dyno right around 235 - 240 rwhp. 287 crank rating. Around 235 tq dyno versus 270 crank.

Automatic G35 sedans dyno around 215 rwhp. 260 crank rating. Around 225 tq rating versus 260 crank.

I'm not sure about all the others as I really just didn't feel like looking for them. Feel free to look for charts if you wish. Just make sure they dynoed in the right gear. That seems to be a common mistake, as well as doing a dyno before break in is complete.

Anyway, I'm not sure there really is a 7 hp difference between the G35 coupe and the 350Z. Seems like they both probably have the 287.

It's also interesting how no one ever mentions the obvious understatement of the torque in most, if not all, of the ratings.
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    There's more to an engine than peak hp or peak torque. The engine is tweaked differently, both in exhaust, intake, and ECU for the different applications. I don't have a problem with that.

Sure the altima/maxima difference and the G coupe/350Z might be more of marketing differences, but I believe the difference between the original 240hp pathfinder and the new 287 hp Z.
  • Options

• Options
    gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Wow!

A triple repost over several days! Is that some kind of record? It takes patience and dedication to pull that off. Congrats.
  • Options
    I agree that it would be helpful to have an independent horsepower & torque rating agency. That would keep everyone honest.

BTW, I do recall a dyno chart comparison of "wheel horsepower" of Infiniti's 4.5 liter V-8 rated at 340 horsepower vs. BMW's 4.4 liter rated at 282 and 4.9 liter M5 rated at 400. Instead of being right between the two BMW's, the Infiniti came in slightly below the smaller BMW V-8. Which coincided with my buttmeter.
  • Options
    mgh_1mgh_1 Member Posts: 22
    I agree that there needs to be an independent rating agency, but even then there would be questions. Rating wheel horsepower tells you what goes to the ground, but doesn't give actual drivetrain losses unless you make an assumption of what they "should" be. Also, what if one manufacturer underrates their engines slightly. From what I know, which is limited at best compared to true "gearheads", the only way to measure the true crank horsepower is to take it out.

With your example, obviously the M5 was a manual, and the 4.5 off the Infiniti was an automatic. Was the 4.4 BMW done with an automatic or a manual?

If you assume manuals for both BMW's, and automatic for the Infiniti, you come up with 340 rwhp for the M5, 265 for the Infiniti, and 248 for the 4.4. These assume 15% drivetrain loss for the manual BMWs, and 22% for the automatic Infiniti. Play with the assumptions a little, and you can get pretty close. Besides that, we were talking about the VQ35.

For example, from what I've seen, 330's for dyno right at or slightly below 200 rwhp for the manual, and 185 - 190 for an auto, which works out to drivetrain losses of roughly 12% and 17%. Either the drivetrain losses of the BMW's are significantly lower than everyone else, or the engines are underrated.

Apply that to your original example, and there's your explanation. I'm sure someone will say why would BMW do that, but maybe it's the same as why Dodge underrates the Neon (225 +/- whp; 245 crank rating)....
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I am not sure, but do engine power ratings affect insurance?

If BMW does underrate (I have no idea if they do), would it possibly be to help in lower insurance costs and market to a more conservative older demographic?

Just tossing ideas around.

-Paul
  • Options
    I finally saw a real live G35c yesterday. It was a gunmetal metallic color - looked incredible!

It was moving and handling quite well from what I could see. When he was next to me in my rented Altima, I could see the brakes and discs. I think I need to test drive one. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    Engine power ratings do affect insurance rates. The higher the power and the lower the car weight, the more one has to pay. Leave out the driver age, safety features and the accident/ticket record variables and a higher bhp engine with a lighter body will have a higher insurance rate. A heavier vehicle with a less powerful engine will, most of the time, have a lower insurance rate.

My Jaguar which costs much more than the Infinity G35 has less power and is heavier. The Jaguar insurance rates are 30% less than insuring the Infinity. This does not take into account the multi-car discount.

When pricing the BMW insurance rates, the quotes were also lower due to a "less powerful" engine and the car cost more than the G35.

The insurance company said this is a result of the power-to-weight ratio.

Hope this helps answer your question.

gambit293, patience is my middle name especially when putting-up with my Infinity dealer.
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I have to imagine that these things are selling like hotcakes. Whereas I hadn't actually seen one on the road just a few months ago, now I am seeing one almost every day. And now---there are two just on my block! Just on my street, driving down there is at least one black and one white G35 coupe parked outside two different homes. And I've seen what looks like a burgundy one around here a few times too, so maybe there's a third.

Infiniti's gotta be loving it. I'd even be tempted but they do seem awfully pricey for the 6-speed. If they're selling for sticker and you add tax, the price is, well, definitely befitting a luxury performance coupe.
  • Options
    lertexaslertexas Member Posts: 1
    I see some people saying they've ordered 2004 coupes - are the prices the same as 2003? Some sales people are suggesting they will be higher, which is perhaps believable, but I'd like to know if that's really true, and how much. I'm thinking of ordering a base coupe, but of course the sales folks try to upsell me. Of course I'd buy a 2003 base coupe if I could find one.
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    no official information on prices yet.
  • Options
    psterpster Member Posts: 293
    I am amazed that a $35,000 G35 Coupe has a plain old metal support rod for the engine hood prop support. A few struts would better befit a sports car in this price range. Decontenting is getting out of control. I like the car and am thinking about purchasing one, but when I see this cheap feature, I really wonder about the rest of the car. Whoever put the seat control buttons on the seat bolster should be fired.
  • Options
    I'd much rather have the prop, since it's lighter, cheaper, and one less thing to break and need replacing.

The struts definitely befit luxury cars in this price range, you're right. But, the prop on my STi is good enough for me, and you don't have to worry about the hood crashing down on you when the struts give up.

Lots of people share your complaint about the seat controls.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I had a prop break on one of my cars. I could have been seriously hurt, but I was lucky.

I'll take the struts anyday. You're right, they do start to fail, but in my experience it's after 10 years.
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    For me it's been more like 5 or 6 years. It always starts in the cold weather. Same is true for hatch struts. I've learned to hate them under the hood. Give me a solid prop rod any day. Can't really do without them in a hatch though.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    While the G35 sedan does nothing for me stylistically, the coupe in my eyes is a very pretty car. That Gunmetal color (as erickpl mentioned) is gorgeous. The Black is really sharp too. I like the Red and haven't seen a white coupe yet. The Silver doesn't do too much for me. The Blue is nice, but not my cup of tea.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy,

My coworker has the white pearl and it looks incredible with the chromed wheels. He has the ground effects kit - he got it loaded. He has the black interior with the aluminum trim and it is quite beautiful, though living and working in the desert I would pick a lighter color interior. ;)

-Paul
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    If I had a prop rod BREAK?? on my car I would stop driving. Talk about a freak occurrence. Somebody was trying to tell you something.

On the other hand I have been hit on the head by the hood of my GS several times. My vote is for the rods.
  • Options
    I have had struts on all cars except this one. The struts on one of the cars finally started failing in the cars 9th year. That's when I would open it and need to prop up the hood with some wood. Replacing struts on a 9 year old car is silly.

You are right about that being a freak occurence. And I would probably win the lottery before another incident would happen. However, I hate prop rods, period.
  • Options
    bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    The bottom line guys with the prop rod is that same story.... saving a few bucks for the manufacturer. It's a no brainer that most people these days prefer and expect the struts for the hood and trunk. If you want to continue.... how about that lovely crappy material they use for a console. I think those toy models use a better plastic than what they install in an Infiniti. But... it saves them the dollars. Overall, it's a great car with some cheap parts.
  • Options
    gpwatfrdgpwatfrd Member Posts: 76
    "Overall, it's a great car with some cheap parts"
    If you think the Infiniti has some cheap parts than the 350Z must be made by Mattel toys....
  • Options
    jerryd3jerryd3 Member Posts: 20
    I have just over 3,000 miles on my G35 6MT Coupe and couldn't be happier. The fact the the hood is made of aluminum changes the equation for me on the prop rod. On my other cars with prop rods, the hood is quite heavy and is somewhat of a pain to hold up while you fish for the rod. On the G35 it is quite easy to hold the hood up with one hand (because of its light weight), so the rod just doesn't seem to be a bother.

The owner's manual warns against pushing down on the hood to close it. My guess is that if struts were put on this hood, you would risk bending it if you pushed down on it hard enough to close it. Cars are getting heavier with all the additional safety requirements and other features. I am happy with Infiniti's choice to save the weight with the aluminum hood and use the prop rod.
  • Options
    birdman579birdman579 Member Posts: 151
    I have to agree with jerryd3. Having the hood made of aluminum makes all the difference. Its not a hassle to open the hood and use the prop rod. However, not having struts for the trunk is inexcusable for a luxury car. Gooseneck hinges are awful. They take up useful trunk space and can crush groceries.
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    My G35 sedan has struts in the trunk - no hinges. Don't know about the coupe.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    erickpl: I'm sure the white is gorgeous, but I've nevr been a fan of the white ext w/ chrome wheels. I think chrome stock wheels are much more prevelant in California than here in NY. In my eyes the chrome wheels really shine on a black car.

saving money: I sat in a G35 Coupe in a dealership and thought the only cheap material was that strip that runs across the dashboard where the air vents are. It is a bit too hard for my tastes. I have a feeling Infiniti will address in the near furture. They're not the only luxury manufacturer to employ cost cutting on interior bits.

On this whole struts vs. hood prop issue, it doesn't bother me either way. If a car has a prop (as my Prelude Type SH does), it certainly would not deter me from buying or considering that car a luxury car. But struts are not perfect. I recently turned in a 2000 Saab 9-3 that had struts in the hood. Guess how easy it was to open the hood after a small accident where I rear ended a Hyundai in stop and go traffic. Can anybody say crowbar?

A luxury car isn't what it was 10 or 15 years ago. All manufacturers (luxury & non) use some sort of cost cutting. The majority of consumers out there don't care about interior material quality (personally it is #1 or #2 on my list). Back in 1995 Mercedes-Benz drastically reduced prices across its model line to remain competitive. In some cases (like the S Class), prices dropped in excess of $10,000 from the previous model year. How'd they do it? Little things that eventually added up to big savings. The material in the back isn't as nice as in the front. The full size spare is no longer a full 5th wheel....

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    on my 1995 Maxima wore out about 2 1/2 years ago (car was 6 years old). I'm now using a broken broom handle to hold up the hood, until I find a cheaper alternative than the $120 apiece the dealer charges for new struts. I don't consider myself to be a cheapskate, but $240 for replacement struts is not on my priority list.

Perhaps I should retrofit a $10 rod?

My Honda S2000 has a rod (and aluminum hood). I'm not sure what the 350Z has. But if there is one area where I could live with "value engineering" it's in the mechanism that holds the hood up, so long as it WORKS! Looking at the interiors of the recent crop of Nissans and Infinitis, I find that value engineering a lot more objectionable. I'd much rather get a little arm exercise once every couple of months than have to look at a cheap interior every day.
  • Options
    WOW! Give me the prop any day.
  • Options
    daschtickdaschtick Member Posts: 63
    About 3 years ago, I broke down and replaced the hood struts on my wife's '92 Legend. $125 a pair later, I fixed it, but only after searching the internet, and accidentally bumping out the 2 x 4 that I was using one day.

Although I re-installed OEM struts, on cold days, I can already tell that they are getting weaker. I just hope they last a little while longer!
  • Options
    prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Some people are getting overblown on the interior of the G. Overall, it looks good and has plenty of soft touch high quality surfaces and the textures are very close to Lexus and what Honda/Acura uses. It's some components mainly the center section that should be redone, the matte silver paint has got to go, give it real brushed aluminum like the FX. This will surely wear over time and look like crap. Infiniti will probably change this in the 3rd model year once initial launch costs have been recouped.

If we want to criticize interiors the new Mercedes defintely look cheap and below their competitors and their the "supposed" top gun, looking at the latest Powers quality survey they got a lot more to worry about than this.

You can get OEM quality hood struts for $30 ea. online just shop around.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Have you seen the ES300 interior? Let alone the more expensive ones. There is no comparison.
  • Options
    But a G35 with a Lexus interior, would be an interesting combo indeed.

Oh, and y'all can keep your prop rods, I'll stick with the struts that will eventually fail. :)
  • Options
    pmappmap Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem with my old Camry. The struts went out and the Toyota people wanted an arm and a leg for new ones. If any of you haven't already tried, go some place like Pep Boys like I did and you'll find them for a quarter of the price. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    ...steps on soapbox...

Those of you that are prone to carp about the G35's interior and lack of hood struts would probably be happier moving on to other choices for a luxury sport vehicle. The G35C is not for you. Your priorities are not in line with the mission of the G. It is NOT a sporty near luxury car. The G has the heart and soul of a true sports car with just enough refinement and features added to make it a wonderful daily driver. It is not a pure sports car. It is not a near luxury car. Once you redline it in 2nd gear, the snarl of its exhaust entrances you. Once you slice through that curve posted Caution 25 MPH at 60 with a huge silly grin on your face that you can't get rid of...then there is no place for thoughts of interior materials or hood struts. Anything with a shape like the G35C could easily be forgiven many faults, but once you commune with its soul there is little memory of anything needing forgiveness. If you cannot relate, feel free to choose another with priorities closer to yours. Would you criticize Jennifer Lopez for not being a great cook?

...steps down off soapbox...

Please excuse my outburst. Having been an engineer for 25 years, I don't usually get that emotional.
  • Options
    ...steps on soapbox...

Those of you that are prone to carp about the G35's interior and lack of hood struts would probably be happier moving on to other choices for a luxury sport vehicle. The G35C is not for you. Your priorities are not in line with the mission of the G. It is NOT a sporty near luxury car. The G has the heart and soul of a true sports car with just enough refinement and features added to make it a wonderful daily driver. It is not a pure sports car. It is not a near luxury car. Once you redline it in 2nd gear, the snarl of its exhaust entrances you. Once you slice through that curve posted Caution 25 MPH at 60 with a huge silly grin on your face that you can't get rid of...then there is no place for thoughts of interior materials or hood struts. Anything with a shape like the G35C could easily be forgiven many faults, but once you commune with its soul there is little memory of anything needing forgiveness. If you cannot relate, feel free to choose another with priorities closer to yours. Would you criticize Jennifer Lopez for not being a great cook?

...steps down off soapbox...

Please excuse my outburst. Having been an engineer for 25 years, I don't usually get that emotional.
  • Options
    As a fellow engineer, I salute you and wholeheartedly agree.
  • Options
    daschtickdaschtick Member Posts: 63
    "Those of you that are prone to carp about the G35's interior and lack of hood struts would probably be happier moving on to other choices for a luxury sport vehicle. The G35C is not for you. "

True ;)
  • Options
    are there any cars out there with aluminum hoods and struts? This seems to be the common link between all of the cars mentioned, including my STi. pushing on the aluminum hood hard enough to close it is a no-no, and the struts would prevent the ~12" drop required in my owners manual.
  • Options
    You got it absolutely correct. Those who have particular issues with any vehicle, not in keeping with their priorities should move on. I myself never settle.

Thus the expression, for every pot there is a cover.
  • Options
    Implying that those who buy a G35 coupe would really like to buy a BMW but are settling for a coupe. Who says anyone is settling for anything. A 3-series BMW lacks style IMO and I would be settling if I bought a BMW. Why would I want a boring old 2 door sedan. If I was going to buy a sedan, I would just go ahead and get 4 doors on it. The G coupe adds excitement.
  • Options
    kwets5kwets5 Member Posts: 7
    Well after waiting 3-months, I finally took delivery of my diamond graphite coupe yesterday. I got all of the options except navigation. The car is an absolute blast. Thank you to all who have provided valuable information on these boards! All of your input has been very appreciated!

Thanks again,

I'm heading out for a drive!

Kevin