Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    1) The red one sounds like a great car.. Salesmen at some point have to close the deal.. It isn't necessarily being stingy, but just moving the process forward..

2) The extras you want.. cargo mat, homelink, alarm.. They are all nice, but far from necessary.. You can go overboard, and turn a good deal into just a fair deal.. My garage door opener works just fine clipped to the visor, no one is going to drive away my car without the key, and I try not to carry mulch, etc in the back..

3) The extended maintenance is a good deal for $1000, I think... especially if you have the extended warranty and will be going to the dealer, anyway.. But, you can purchase it at anytime before your original warranty (4yr/50K) runs out..

4) It is always good to be alert to your own personal safety.. but, don't worry too much about it... It is only a car.. if it gets stolen, insurance will pay for it.. Also, the chances of getting into a serious accident are pretty slim.. then add on the chance of getting into the exact type of accident that caused the low ratings. Very slim... The BMW is a very safe car and very well-built.. I trust my family's safety in it every day...

It really sounds like a great car at a good price.. relax and enjoy it!

regards,
    kyfdx

4) The tires on the car will still be high performance all-seasons.. But, not much different than the ones that come with the non-sport package.. I don't want you to think they'll be a lot different from your Saab.. But, they won't be the ultra-high performance summer-only tires that come on non-AWD sport package equipped cars.. IOW, not much difference than the 16" that come on the stock AWD car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    It looks to me like you're about $400-500 higher than you could be. That's assuming they don't throw in a doc fee at the last moment.
    I'd try to talk them down a bit more.
  • Options
    scgilberscgilber Member Posts: 8
    OK, what does everyone this of this deal?

Jet Black, sand leather, auto, multifunction steering wheel controls, power moonroof, power/heated seats, fog lights, rain sensor, MSRP 32,765.

Lease deal is 279 mo, 36 mo, 10k year, 2500 down, 1mo pymt, security dep. of 300, license fee 125, plus TTL, residual is 63%, money factor .00120

I think this sounds fair, but the MSRP scares me a bit
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I am not sure the invoice, but base on edmunds, it should be $ 38705, b/c the quote from edmunds with the same options showed exact MSRP $ 42245. I am waiting they fax me the purchase order. I will check to see if there is any doc fee. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Options
    base money factor is .0008

Lease factors are very low right now, and residuals are good.. Almost any deal they quote you will be a good deal from the standpoint of a monthly payment, but I'm guessing they have some room to come down, since they are bumping up the money factor

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    cargal2cargal2 Member Posts: 36
    Okay now, I'm a bimmer baby in her little red wagon!

The babe came down Thursday afternoon. I've been through so much trying to find "my car," I'm still hesitant to get thrilled with this treasure. Give me another week of pinching myself to make sure it's going to stick around.

My Saab was traded in. When I went to empty the trunk, I lifted up the liner, and the compartment where the spare tire and kit were stored were soaking wet. Didn't make sense, everything on top of the liner was dry. This confirmed to me, it had to go quickly.

I was expecting a confirmation of the "certified" warranty. Tonight I pawed through the case with the manual and other paperwork. At the time the monies changed hands, he said that he was giving us the certificate that the vehicle was certified. The label gave the in-service date, the expiration date of the new car warranty, the expiration of the certified pre-owned protection plan expiration date, as well as the mileage when it would expire.

Now, I see we were given only the window sticker, which states:

"Consumer note: This label is for information only. The label on this vehicle does not in any way represent that the vehicle has been properly enrolled in the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program or that is is a Certified Pre-Owned BMW, Certified Pre-Owned Bmw.... For information on the Certified Pre-Owned BMW enrollment status of this vehicle or for any questions on the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program, please contact the Sales Department at this BMW center."

Two niggling questions: I noticed the tires looked low, but the car didn't seem to have problems driving. I reset the gas mileage meter. I'm only getting from 15.6-17.5 mpg, with an average of 40 mph.

If I had known I'd get such terrible gas mileage, I would have gone for an SUV. Tell me please, there's something wrong here, and the gas mileage is not typical for this car!!!

After all, it's not a v8, or a 330.

I checked the tires. Maybe my gauge is wrong, but I had 29 in the front, and 30 in the back. I think the book recommended 32. I wonder if this has anything to do with the poorer gas mileage. I know there's a couple of miles loss because of the AWD, but this is not a Hummer, and I haven't raced the car.

I also didn't receive the inspection report for the certification, the tire warranty, the original sticker with the full-list of options, the all-weather mats (supposedly on back order), the locks weren't programmed to shut at a certain speed, etc.

I hit the SOS button to set up the BMW assist. Pretty cool. I think they'll help me tomorrow with roadside assistance to check on the tire-pressure? Does roadside assistance help with those kinds of things? I would take it to a regular station, but uncertain whether they'll know what they're doing, or whether they'll ask me to add more air to the tires, myself.

Also, the front defroster isn't working very well. I've been blinded on several occasions by the dense fog on the windshield and front windows.

Otherwise:

Love the sports seats!!!! Love the sports wheel!!! (the extra spoke helps to park and navigate roads) So Glad you talked me into the Cold Weather Package. Those heaters are terrific and therapeutic.

I know everyone grumbles about the cramped rear seat. On the other hand, the car is more spacious than my Saab. The black is deceptive. The doors open nice and wide, and I can go in and hunt for anything on the floor that may have dropped in the back seat. Having a little problem pulling up the cargo net. My puppy's been playing with the controls when I put her on the floor of the front passenger seat; she knocked down the arm rest when in the back seat; in the rear, she can almost wiggle through the cargo net.

Should I try to locate a nose mask? Some people are strongly recommending either 17 inch snow tires, or 16 inch snows with steel rims. That's about a $1000 extra.

I think I may need some type of kickplate on the bottom of the driver's door, pushing it with my foot, is getting it dirty.

So far, no problems with handling.... The car has a lovely purr.... Red and all, people seem to be avoiding me.

I'm still a little worried, someone I know with a BMW 330i, had three of his doors keyed at a shopping mall.

So many thanks, Kyfdx.

P.S. I hope it's okay, I didn't have it fully inspected, yet. Monday was the only time I can be fit locally, at a specialized mechanic who will put it on a lift.
  • Options
    1) Make a call to the service department of the dealership on Monday. Have your VIN number ready.. Ask the service advisor to run a history report and tell you the expiration date of your CPO warranty... That will verify that you have it. Very easy.

2) Look on the driver's doorjamb for the recommended tire inflation pressure for your particular car.. Usually, it will call for a higher inflation for the rear tires.. Consider this number the minimum inflation for your tires.. Start there, and if it works for you fine.. If you like, you can increase it from there, but never go under. Stop by any tire store, and someone will usually help you with your tire pressure for free...

3) Don't worry about what the computer says you are getting for mileage, especially for anything less than a tankful.. The only reliable way to check mileage is from tankful to tankful.. Miles driven divided by gallons used.. Almost no one gets under 20 MPG.. I doubt you are, either.

4) The ventilation system is overly complicated.. You'll get a handle on it eventually... it works very well, once you figure it out.

5) Nose mask? Usually not a good idea.. causes more problems than it fixes.

6) Winter tires? You have AWD.. And, I'm guessing you never had winter tires on your Saab, either.. Just drive the car this winter, and see what you think.

Relax and enjoy it... And, take some time to get used to the car and learn about it.. If you are reading the manual, you are off to great start.. Congratulations on the new car!!

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "4) The ventilation system is overly complicated.. You'll get a handle on it eventually... it works very well, once you figure it out."

Huh - press auto press temperature..seems easy to me and no more complicated than any other car.
  • Options
    mbojilovmbojilov Member Posts: 7
    Recently I bought a 2003 325i. The car had 10,500 miles and I got it for $23,700. Just wondering how good of a deal I got? Any thoughts? Initially I thought it was a steal but now I am not so sure after reading on some of the deals on new 2004 or 2005 cars. I should mention that I bought the car from a dealer (not BMW), and it's very much a stripper model (metallic paint and leather seats are the only options), hence I don't think it was all that great of a deal but would be curious to hear people's opinion. Thanks.
  • Options
    OK, how does the money factor affect the deal?

Just think I am an attorney and I cant even figure this stuff out...

All smoke and mirrors to me, what should my counter be?
  • Options
    .0004 bump in the money factor adds about $20-$25/month to your payment..

Also, to keep things simple, don't make a cap cost reduction (downpayment) on your lease.. You'll get a truer look at what the car will cost you.. There are other good reasons to not to make a downpayment, as well..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yes.. overly complicated..

Not even close to automatic... little wheel on the center dash vent.. Have to turn on A/C manually to keep windshield from fogging.. I have three dials on my Honda, with two buttons and I can make it do anything I want, when I want... and a child can figure it out..

The BMW system might work fine for you on automatic, but if you want it to do something specific, it is like programming a VCR.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Jeez - my old Maxima had the wheel vent thingy. It's nice to be able to direct air to the windshield without engaging the compressor. Ever try an LS430? Need a doctorate to turn it on.

No I don't think BMW is overly complicated compared to the competition.
  • Options
    Well... I will admit.. that Honda does turn on the compressor when you direct air to the windshield.. but, once you program it (click heels three times, etc.), you can defeat that function.. After that, it is just about perfect..

BMWs have great ventilation systems.. but, they aren't very intuitive and new users generally have a learning curve.

I'm not complaining ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    "I'm not complaining ;-)"

Oh okay then. :) Just for clarification, I think it could be improved, but it offers very nice flexibility in the climate control dept. Of course like any new car, there is a learning curve associated with the functions.
  • Options
    3catmom3catmom Member Posts: 13
    Hi. I own a 2003 330i and a mini ipod. I was interested in having the integrated adapter installed so that I can listen to my ipod as well as control playlists, charge the unit, etc. I have been hearing mixed reviews about the adapter. Someone told me that the integrated adapter set-up really doesn't work well and that people have been going back to the dealer to have just the auxillary connector installed (which doesn't allow control thru steering wheel controls). Has anyone heard about this? Help!
  • Options
    cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    I have an '04 330i and have the iPod adapter installed. While it can be quirky at times (cuts off on occasion and simply needs to be unclipped from the wire and then reclipped while the radio is powered off), I love having it and it is far better than a six changer (operates similarly) since I have thousands of songs to choose from.
  • Options
    teach3teach3 Member Posts: 23
    kyfdx --

you state that the doorjamb psi numbers are to be read as indicating only the "minimum" inflation pressure --

I have a new 2005 330i (steel blue --yes, it rocks) -- the OE tires are goodyear 17'' eagle RSA's (which tire rack says has 50 as its maximum psi pressure). The doorjamb says 39 (front) and 46 (rear). My problem lies in the BMW manual -- on the one hand it says to look at the doorjamb for the OE psi -- on the other, it has a chart which designates the "average" tire inflation psi for my car at 32(front) and 38 (rear) for the car with no passengers -- and 39 (front) and 46(rear) for the car fully loaded (with passengers and luggage).

I have so far reconciled the discrepancy between the actual number on my doorjamb (that is, 39 and 46) and the manual (that is, 32/38 versus 39/46) by thinking that the doorjamb should be read as specifying what the psi should be when the car is fully loaded. That would accord with what the manual states. But you indicate otherwise -- according to you the doorjamb's 39/46 is the "minimum" psi reading --

now thats ok with me -- but are you sure? I don't want to blow up going 110 ( a speed which is, of course, against the law, and which I would never in my wildest dreams think of reaching, even though that polite police officer informed me that was precisely what I was doing the other day...)
  • Options
    Your doorjamb is different from mine..('03 325i Sport) Mine has the recommended inflation pressure... 30F/35R.. not the maximum.

The 32/38 numbers from your manual are the ones I am referring to.. I would consider those the minimum.

39/46 would be brutal.. You'd really have to be loaded up to go that high.

The maximum pressure on the tire is irrelevant.. It is not vehicle specific.. not that anyone would run their tires that high (I hope).

Thanks for the info about your doorjamb.. I'll be more careful with my advice..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    I purchased an 01 BMW 330i last night. White with tan leather; premium package; Xenon; sport package (AWESOME M-style double spoke wheels); HK sound system; 5 spd (of course). It has 41K miles and I bought it for $26K. The price seemed fair since KBB was at $27,500 and edmunds was about the same. I bought it from Advantage Certified in Manassas, VA. Great dealership! This is my second BMW; the first was a '91 318is 5 spd. Wow, obviously no comparison to my old 318, but this vehicle is absolutely amazing. The I6 is just as advertised. . .silky smooth!!!

Just wanted to spread some of my excitement!
  • Options
    bbmackbbmack Member Posts: 2
    Is this a good deal

MSRP $33750

Sales Price: $31715

Money Down $2000 cap plus tax title security deposit and acquisition fee total was $3590

36 months at 10k miles a year

Lease was $307 + tax
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We'll need to know the residual value!

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Oh.. we might have that info handy.. give me a minute...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bbmackbbmack Member Posts: 2
    $20500
  • Options
    I come up with about $304 + tax.. Which is close enough..

MF .0010

Residual 61%

How about this? Don't make a downpayment and roll the security deposit into the cap cost..

That should result in a payment of about $377 + tax, with only about $1000 due at signing..

Also, only $10/mo more to go to 12K miles/yr if you think you'll need them.. Cheapest way to get extra miles.

Either way, its a good deal.. but, I recommend against making a downpayment.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    $20,587.50

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Congratulations!! I have the M68 wheels on my car also.. Sounds very nice..

Coincidentally, I've had my eye on '91 318is.. ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    One more thing..

RWD 325i is cheaper to lease right now than the 325xi.. If you aren't set on the AWD.. Residuals are 2% higher and the MF is .0002 lower.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a deal to buy a 2004 330 convertible with 4500 miles. The car has the performance package, auto, and metallic paint (silver/black alcantara). The dealer is asking $42.9 versus $30.7 for my 2004 350Z Roadster (about 600 less than Edmunds average trade).

What do you guys think of the deal?
  • Options
    Any idea what the original MSRP of the 330 convertible was? That price seems pretty cheap... Not sure what a used 350Z roadster would bring, though..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    Numbers are approximate (from memory)...

Base MSRP $44600

PP ("ZHP") $3300

Auto $1275

Metallic $475

Dest $695
  • Options
    Over $50K MSRP..

Sounds like a good price on the '04 330 convertible.. Of course, it all depends on if your trade-in price was a good deal..

Any particular reason for trading?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I'm trading because we had twins 8 months ago and my wife is tired of being the only one who can take them anywhere. So, she'll have the MDX and I'll have the 330CiC.

The trade-in is about the best I've been offered anywhere--it's about $1200 under private party value and earns me about $2400 in tax savings.

The BMW is about $7k under the original sticker and I haven't seen new convertibles selling for more than $2-3k off MSRP.

I think I could probably get another few hundred off if I wanted to spend all day at the dealership, but I still haven't picked up a gift for the wife yet!
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Nice car man! Congrats! That seems like a decent price too. Good luck with it.

kyfdx:

I'd love to find a low mileage '99 E36 328is (Black Leather, 5-speed, & SP). The smell of recently vintaged BMWs fills the air. Mmmmmmm.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Congratulations on the new car! I'm a newbie myself (a couple of weeks now). I still make unnecessary trips down to the garage just to look at it....

M68 wheels are sweet! I need to get a set for my summer wheels though the 325 sport wheels are a nice winter set in their own right.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Hope you enjoy your new ride! You can find other owners in our Owners club. See link at top of page.
  • Options
    That is exactly what I have.. winter tires on the stock sport wheels, and bought a set of M68s with tires last spring.. They came off a 330 convertible on its first day, so less than 100 miles on Pilot Sports..

That gives me great looking wheels all year round... I recommend it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tlsbmw.. sounds like a good deal..

nyccarguy: Why not just go ahead and get a '98 or '99 M3? Probably just as easy to find, and they are starting to come down to the high teens/low 20s... ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    this is a prices paid board..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    Thanks fellas and lee I will definitely check out the owners club.

paule & kyfdx that sounds like a great idea. What type of winter tires do you recommend (and have)? And how much $$$$ for a set?
  • Options
    Post the question on the general 3-series board..

Otherwise, we will all be sent to our rooms...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    OK, I had them requote the lease with cap cost reduction, making my out=of-pocket right at 1000 for same car, but pymt is now 379 +tax...

I cant figure out why the pymt went up so much? 10k year, leather cold weather, auto, sterring wheel controls. 05-325i, residual of 63%.

I think it is in the MF, but where?
  • Options
    yeah.. the $2500 dollar down payment rolled into the lease should only increase the payment about $80/mo, and they are quoting you $100/mo. more..

And, as you noted, they are already jacking up the MF...

I'd try shopping around.. Just using the base MF should knock off about $20-$30/month, plus the extra $20/mo they have somehow added..

I'll try looking at your original deal again..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    Just put down payment on a 330 ci (in stock)

Sport package

Heated seats

Alpine white 36,450 (not including tax and title)

Is this a good price (Open road BMW New Jersey)
  • Options
    Help us out.. what is the MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I did a little figuring..

For the same car you quoted in your earlier post.. MSRP $32,765... A good lease price for 3yr/30K lease would be $338 + tax using the base MF of .0008

Using their MF of .0012, it would only come out to $359 + tax..

This is with only 1st payment, security and license fees upfront.. I gave them $1500 over invoice and rolled the security deposit into the cap cost.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I have an answer for the tires but I agree with kyfdx about moving the question to the 3 series sedan board. Repost there and I'll answer.

We wouldn't want to get our hands slapped ;)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Love the E36 M3, but I'm sure to find they've been very well used, driven hard (like you're supposed to drive an M3), and are much more tempermental than a regular E36 Coupe.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I agree, so I should be shooting for 330-340 per month, I do wish to shop around, but even this dealer is an hour away and my 2 local dealers say they cant get under 300 per month regardless of out of pocket cost...
  • Options
    gogiantsgogiants Member Posts: 9
    Just wanted to alert SF bay area folks that i just finalized a lease deal at Concord BMW excellent experience and price of car was $300.00 over invoice. Was told by sales manager that until end of year they will sell any 3 series for this price either purchase or lease. Highly reccommend them anyone interested in the person i dealt with can contact me for the info. details of my deal: msrp 34,665 sales price 32,130 36mo/12k 705 drive off pymt w/tax $405.67