Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The automatic will hunt a bit until it's adapted to your driving style. It's trying to eek out every mpg for economy, basically.

Also, they may be comparing the H4 to the V6s of many competitors.

-juice
  • So, you say the Outback is the vehicle CR tested? Well does that mean that these so called handling problems do not apply to the Legacy?
    Does the Sport Tuned Suspension of the GT really make a big differance? If either of you have seen my prior posts you know that the car I am looking at has everything a GT does except Leather, Spoiler, and Sport Suspension. I am wondering if it will make that big of a differance in driving and how fun the car is and how it handles?
    If there is not too big of a differance I would think that I should jump on the deal I found, 2003 Legacy L Special Edition with splash gaurds, rear differential protector, air filtration system, auto-dimming mirror/compass, upgraded speakers with tweeter kit and Moon Roof???
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Just drive the car and come up with your own opinion.
    The L is about an inch lower to the ground and has lower profile tires, IMO it'll handle a little sportier, not as soft, as an Outback.

Drive it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. For the price you can't beat it. Hurry before someone else snaps it up.

-juice
  • I would like to purchase either an '03 Legacy GT wagon or Outback wagon (auto). I can't get the TMV prices form Edmund's for the '03 models yet and so am not sure what I should pay. I saw a Legacy GT in tan with 12,000 miles for $20,600 (Bill Kolb, NY dealer). The Edmund's price new was about $25,000. Is this a good deal? If not, what should this car cost? Thanks!
    IMO, yes. The first owner took the big hit in depreciation, you step in a get a bargain.

That GT has heated leather seats, moonroof, VTD AWD, and SportShift manual shifting.

-juice
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    That really does sound like a decent price.
    He ought to know, look at his title...

-juice
  • 94K miles but I only paid $12k for it. Edmunds had it higher than that. It's an auto with the cd changer. I sure wish it had bun warmers (heated seats).

It's going to be hard to go from a V8 Lincoln to a 4 banger. But I sure like the peace of mind of the AWD since I live on a mountain.
    It's hard to compare the two, you'll definitely spend a lot less at the pump.

The 2.5l is torquier than most 4 cylinder competitors, also more efficient than any other AWD vehicle of its size.

-juice
  • dascuddascud Posts: 2
    Hi,

We are thinking of starting a family soon and wanted to get a 4 door sedan to replace my old & trustworthy Mazda Protege. My other car is a 325ci so we definitely need a 4 door. I have been looking around at 328i/330i CPOs, c300s and volvo S80s which are very attractively priced now given the state of the economy.

A subaru legacy was not even in my radar until I saw one at a local dealer.
    This is a 2008 3.0R with Navigation and has 6300 Miles on it. The dealer was asking for $23999 and with just basic negotiation I have the price down to $22000 + TTL.

This seems like a good deal on a well optioned car but the styling and looks hasnt blown me over and my wife seems quite prejudiced over the exterior. I have asked her to go on a test drive before she makes up her mind.

I know the other cars on my list do not really compete with the legacy esp given the AWD but I am in Norcal and the AWD is not that useful to us. I am going to go and TD the car again but is there anything I need to know that may tilt the balance one way or the other and also help convince my wife.

DaScud
  • dsattlerdsattler Posts: 135
    Joined IMBA a year ago and got a Subaru Mastercard in August of 2002. Used the VIP program to buy a 2005 Legacy GT Limited wagon at invoice, and used my $700 in Subaru bucks from the Mastercard. Went through Internet manager at Russel Subaru in Catonsville, Maryland. Easiest car transaction I've ever experienced. And what a great car!
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Posts: 381
    Dave,
    Glad to hear someone else used the IMBA program. I can't imagine anyone would consider a Subaru and not use one of the VIP Partners Programs available. Here's a link to a list of said partnerships:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_discounts.html

I've been an IMBA member since '96 so it was a no brainer. Total out the door cost (including taxes and licensing) for my brilliant silver metallic 2005 Legacy GT Ltd. Wagon with popular equipment group 1 and subwoofer/amplifier was $31425.93. Fantastic deal for such a quality automobile.

I got mine from Eastside Subaru in Kirkland, Washington. Also a very quick and pleasant (OK, not quite as much fun as actually driving it) experience. I just hope their service department is as good (not that I plan on spending much time there ;-)).

I haven't got on board with the Subaru Master Card yet, but I will soon. I'll likely be using that for maintenance, accessories, or maybe a sedan for the wife! LOL!

Cheers!
    -Ian
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    I used the IMBA for my F-XT purchase as well. Even though I had to order my F-XT (didn't have the java black w/ the options I wanted anywhere in 9 states), it was worth the pleasurable experience. Dealership treated me like royalty with absolutely no strings or pressure. Worth the yearly membership, I signed up for another year!

-Brian
  • radracerradracer Posts: 96
    I left the dealership feeling so good! Actually, I did have a weird sense that I could've gotten a better price, but I wasn't sure how, because it wasn't possible at all...I have this weird 6th sense, but that's a whole nother long story. I wish I knew about this IMBA awhile ago. I even go MTBing! It looks like you have to be a member for 6 months. I just ordered my Legacy today. Although I got a very good deal at $760 over invoice, $1200 under MSRP, $23.25 OTD, plus a free momo shift knob because we were $50 apart. It took me 5 hours to negotiate it, but I admit, I had fun. It feels so good to be prepared, thanks to Edmunds. I watched my dad negotiate for 6 hours once. I could've saved a lot more. Too late now, because my trade in will be worth less in 6 mo's. I am guaranteed my trade in quote until they get the car. However, I can always cancel the order. Those of you looking for a Subie down the road, I'd sign up with IMBA immediately. I really hope Subaru offers some kind of incentive or special financing by the time the car arrives...should be 6 weeks, but it could be sooner because all of the Legacy's were silently recalled due to a problem with the side airbags...so they are not showing up in the dealer inventories at this moment.
    I see that according to Edmunds TMV, you guys are paying pretty much MSRP for these cars. Don't be afraid to haggle. I probably could've gotten my $23.2k price with a momo shiftknob, but he did offer a great price for my trade in...surprisingly, he wanted my Toyota really bad, even though it's got body damage. I didn't want to hassle him too much over $50 because we haven't discussed financing yet.

Oh and I did find out that the GT DOES have an upgraded suspension, even though it doesn't say so in the brochure...as it also doesn't say that it has a hood scoop. I want the scoop pretty bad, but it would be $2000 for the hood and paint...I tried negotiating this into the deal, but failed for obvious reasons. What I'll do is buy an aftermarket carbon fiber hood once they come out for the GT, which I'm sure they will. You don't need to paint those, and it would look beautiful with Regal Blue.
    My VIP purchase was also a piece of cake. Seems like a no-brainer.

-juice
  • I'm planning on buying a 2005 Legacy GT Limited soon. I'm in the Midwest. I'm curious what people have paid for this car. Thanks in advance!
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    My dealer only had two MTs on the lot, and I bought mine for $1200 over invoice, but the dealer gave me $1000 more for my trade than I expected, which was $1500 more than Edmunds trade in value, so I guess when you balance it all out I did ok. Subaru's are very popular here in the Northwest, and with this new Legacy I'm sure that will continue!
  • Thanks for the info. Slim pickings right now. Only 2 GT Limiteds in the state of Nebraska. I'm waiting for a better supply. Some buyers on a different site are paying from $200-500 over invoice for the GT Limited. In addition, tv ads locally state that if you lease a Legacy they will include 3 years of scheduled maintanence free. Subaru is also mailing a coupon with the same offer to select customers who own other makes, ie audi. I called one of my local dealers regarding this maintanence offer. They were unaware of it. I told them I will buy sooner rather than later if they can get me this maintanence offer. Still waiting to hear back.
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    Good luck. I agree that when supplies get better you'll have more of a choice. I got stuck with a spoiler I didn't want (I like the stealth look to surprise unsuspecting drivers) to get the color I wanted. Good luck. The car is worth more than every penny I paid! I can't think of it's equivalent in a car less than $50K!

tom
  • ntk1ntk1 Posts: 57
    Paid 2% over invoice for a Legacy GT sedan 5 sp. I live in MA, Dealer was Patrick Subaru in Shrewsbury.
  • I just purchased a 2005 Legacy GT Limited (MT) wagon at Bloomington-Acura Subaru in Bloomington, Minnesota. I paid $500 over invoice, so with Popular Equipment Group 1, Short-throw shifter, subwoofer, cargo nets, cargo tray and cross-bar kit, came to $29,253. I pick it up tomorrow (7-7) but can say the purchase experience has been very positive at this dealer.
  • chefchef Posts: 1
    While in for service, I saw the dealer had 3 new Legacy Wagons having from 40-80 miles each. I asked for a ballpark figure on what they would take for one of these. Response was $18,200 for a $22K+ car? Can it be that anyone still has any 03s left, and is this a good starting point?
    That's a pretty deep discount. At this point they're just selling it at cost to clear inventory.

-juice
  • dkaoydkaoy Posts: 2
    I like to share my buying experience w/ fellow subaru drivers:
    I emailed many dealer in the s.f. bay area and asked them to compete for my business. The best I've got is $100 over invoice for a 2005 GT wagon, auto. Going to the dealer to sign paper tomorrow for a factory order car. Hope they will not play trick but stick to the quoted price.
    I find that for a factory order there's much more bargaining power.
    Take the 2nd best offer with you in writing, so if they start to play they know you have alternatives and are willing to use them.

-juice
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Took delivery of a silver 05 Legacy GT Ltd Wagon 5EAT for $1000 over invoice from Santa Cruz Subaru. My vehicle was factory ordered just the way I wanted it and I was the first and only customer to take it out on a test drive.

I probably could have gotten a slightly better deal from other Bay Area dealers, but I value the service and experience from Santa Cruz. They're a smaller dealership so they try harder and remember you every time you come back.

I also managed a decent trade in for my trusty 98 Forester S. The dealership gave me above the KBB value.

Ken
    The dealer staff have to feed their families. And it's good to keep the good businesses profitable so they're around next time you need a car.

Congrats and I have to admit I am a wee bit jealous!

-juice
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,478
    I have to admit I am a wee bit jealous!

Liar, liar pants on fire! :D

If it wasn't for the boss (wife) nailing you to the fence, you'd be jumping off NOW.

DaveM
  • tds1tds1 Posts: 73
    A week ago I Purchased a 2005 Legacy Wagon 5 Speed at invoice ($21,233) + Tax only - Denver area. Great experience, fast transaction, and very pleased with price considering other local dealers wouldn't budge much on an 2005. It's a great car - already have 1,750 miles on it (drove car up to minneapolis)!

Question: Is there any place online to buy discounted "Added security" warranty? If so, what's the cheapest place?