Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I agree with Lev - the Xenon's are well worth every bit of the extra $890. I would rate them as much more improtant than park assist, if I were choosing options.

Overall, it sounds like you are getting a great deal. So take the plunge. You will nver remember having spent $890 extra for xenons, but after driving with them in my last three cars, they are a must have.
  • Options
    lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    A short comment on park assist - it has (could have) a tremendous value. My wife has driven SUV - MPV's since 1995 and has had at least 4 or 5 accidents, hitting some stationary objects like polls, trees, parked cars, while backing. I had one or two as well. So, consider the $500 per occurrence deductible, the $400 park assist option is worth of every penny.
  • Options
    pcbflpcbfl Member Posts: 7
    Is the wood too cold for hands in Boston winter?
  • Options
    Can not tell living in LA, maybe someone from Minnesota can give their insights?
    However, from a scientific stand point wood has 4 times more of thermal conductivity and almost 200 times more thermal capacity than leather, so it will accumulate more "cold" than the leather and will cool your hands faster.
    But in any case it hundreds times less than steel and thousands than aluminum, so it should not be too bad.
  • Options
    justcruisingjustcruising Member Posts: 2
    I've completed my research on SUV's and I've settled in on the XC90. 2.5T with the various packages: Metallic Paint, Premium, Climate, Wood Steering Wheel and possibly Xenon lights. Many good comments on the board, but few from the CT area. I'm in no rush to buy the car - could put if off until the fall timeframe. Any recent experience on what the going cost would be with these options? Also, is there a more favorable time of year to buy this car?
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    If you buy a 2005 in September you may get a very good deal.
  • Options
    Regarding Park Assist, I have heard mixed reviews from those who have it (mostly BMW/Mercedes owners). I am not as familiar with the Volvo system, but I am told that audio "beeping" takes a bit of getting used to in order to guage actual distances to objects.

In the case of our MDX, the Navigation system has a rear camara, which is helpful. I have pulled to within 1/4" of the car behind me in order to get out of a tight parking space without incident. The wide angle of the camara covers most objects that would be a hazard to tires or bumpers.

As indicated previously, my wife's decision to go with the MDX over the XC90 was mostly based upon the size difference and perceived ease of use of the third row. However, the three suggestions I would have for Volvo on the amenities front are: (1) upgraded Nav system (voice activated, larger screen, rear camara), (2) Bluetooth phone, integrated with Nav system and (3) XM satelite radio.

Mind you, I owned a Honda S2000 that didn't even have power seats or an adjustable steering wheel. No frills, just performance. But given the daily kid hauling duty and long distance trips our SUV will be serving, the above amenities do make life a bit more pleasant.
  • Options
    enewsenews Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to everyone for their extremely helpful comments on the wood steering wheel and Xenon lights. As it turns out, the car the dealer was offering me wasn't even available. It has already been sold by a NJ-based dealer (the Boston dealer was going to do a dealer swap - the computer said the car was available but that was clearly old information). So we're back to square one. My wife really wants a specific color and the NAV system, but it's hard to find a match without getting into a much higher price range (most cars with NAV come with the works, like the rear entertainment system, which we don't feel like shelling out $2,000 for).

We might just wait for the 2006 models - anyone care to comment on that strategy? My guess is that the car we want may be available, but we're likely dealing with a higher price tag because the dealer will have less incentive to sell the car, at least early in the model year.
  • Options
    Go to Europe, order the OSD. Have fun and a car at the same time. The 2006 is going to be even more expensive. There is definite upward trend with Volvo prices (weak USD??).
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Enews, waiting for 2006 model may not solve your problem, because dealers most likely will order the same configuration as in 2005. As Lev suggested, OSD is a great way to buy a Volvo. In case OSD doesn't work for you, some dealer will take special order with the options you want at same or similar discount as for those vehicles in their stock. The wait is about 2 months, according to my dealer in CA.
  • Options
    freeenergyfreeenergy Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience in buying Volvo XC90 2.5T around northern Va area recently? I got a dealer quote that is $250 over invoice? Is it reasonable? Thanks
  • Options
    Sigh. I figured I'd have to end up paying up for the same car if I wait for 2006. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. The trip to Europe, though exciting to think about, probably won' t happen anytime soon (we just had a baby) so we'll probably have to wait a while longer. Too bad, I was really looking forward to the car, but my wife has her heart set on the navigation system, so there's the "nut" as the dealer said.

Once anyone out there hears about the 2006 model and pricing, please share with the rest of the group.
  • Options
    benjbenj Member Posts: 1
    Enews,
    We were in a similar situation. Scoured Boston area dealers (Lee Volvo, Farrell, Boston, 128, Dalzell, S Shore) to find a specific XC90 only to find one close but not exact match in NH. It's prettly slim picking now--the last of the 2005s are being delivered before the factory shuts down for the summer. We are OSDing this fall and getting EXACTLY what we want. We have a year and a half old toddler and hopefully he will be OK on the trip. Volvo gives you 2 free RT tickets and one night's lodging.

2006 OSD prices will be about $600 more than 2005. I think the 2006s will now come std with tire pressure monitoring system and the rear park assist is folded into a "convenience package" with luggage cover and net and power folding side mirrors. No more T6s. The 2.5Ts will also have the upgraded AWD now in the V8.
  • Options
    vector6vector6 Member Posts: 34
    Hi all-

I posted before a few months back when my wife and I first drove the XC90 - liked it very much, but had time left on her 9-5 lease, so we didn't pursue anything at the time. Now that we're close to lease end, I (based on a friend's recommendation) called a broker, who found the following: XC90 2.5 with convenience, versatility, park assist, and climate. 43,880 all told, which on a 4 YEAR lease came to 562/mo plus tax. Now, having perused these postings plenty, I get the impression that is really high, or at least dead on with MSRP and hardly a great deal. My hope was to use a broker and avoid the horror of uncomfortable test drives and even more excruciating negotiations...but this doesn't seem to match up at all to what other people are getting. Any words of advice? Any other buyers in Denver? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Could it be the broker making a hefty profit? Skip the middle man and go on line. You can find local dealership contact information at Volvo web site or any car shopping site such as Edmunds.com. Request a quote from each dealer's Internet Sales Manager and take it from there. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    vdwvdw Member Posts: 1
    Are OSD prices negotiable? We test drove some XC90s and want to do OSD but did not talk about price much, just given some paperwork. We are thinking about doing it in August and getting a 2006 2.5T AWD with premium, versatility, rear entertainment, and metallic paint. The paperwork lists the 2005 price for this at 41,655 (2006 prices are not available yet). Does anyone have experience with Volvo of Tacoma? Our first impression was good.
  • Options
    mph02mph02 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    Can someone please explain to me what OSD is all about? I

Thank you.
  • Options
    Overseas Delivery program

http://www.volvocars.us/FinancialServices/Overseas/

Just follow the yellow brick road....

The Volvo web site is very informative and absolutely accurate.
  • Options
    OSD prices are not negotiable. And the dealership is pretty much irrelevant. Once you fill the order form - you will see them twice - once for the final payment (check can be mailed in) and second - for the final delivery, when car hits the US shore.

Pay more attention to the service department - you will have to live with them at least for the first four free services.
  • Options
    Hello,
    I am very interested in purchasing an XC90 (it would be my first Volvo, maybe OSD too) but am hesitant on one thing. The Nav system is not touch screen. Can anyone with this system please speak to it's ease of use, or difficulties? I'm concerned typing in long names of cities and streets from the steering wheel (!) will take a lot of time.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    suvb4wintersuvb4winter Member Posts: 27
    We ordered our new V8 with navigation and I'm glad we did - it's one of my favorite features now! The system is extremely intuitive and easy to use. The location of the screen prevents your eyes from leaving the road. I am familiar with navigation systems in Toyota/Lexus and Acura and the Volvo's does some things theirs doesn't, such as show an actual image of upcoming intersection, with an arrow showing where you'll go. It shows the name of the street you are on, and the one you'll be turning onto next. You can also track your whole route forward or backward, a very handy feature, as well as guide you to area attractions, restaurants and services. As far as typing in names of streets while driving -though I admit to having done it, it's never a great idea. Lexus doesn't even allow such entries while the car is in motion. At least Volvo knows that your passenger may want to do the entries while you are driving. However, the remote makes it very easy to input street names - I suggest trying it out on a test drive.
  • Options
    Are you sure Volve OSD prices are not negotiable? My hometown BMW dealer also sells Volvos (and VW's). The had previously offered me a $2,500 discount on the BMW ED price of a 545i. When I susbesequently expressed interest in an XC90 V8 through OSD back in January, they said they could "work out something" on a discount to the OSD price. As you know, my wife opted for the MDX, so I never found out what that "something" might have been.

For what it's worth, the standard response for 95% of BMW dealerships is that the ED prices are non-negotiable. However, once the conspiracy was broken, I have three or four BMW dealerships to choose from that will sell me any 3 or 5 series (other than the "M" cars) at $1,000 to 41,500 over the ED invoice - translating into another $2,000 to $3,000 in discounts to the ED list price.

If a Volvo dealership is making a decent profit on an OSD sale, there is nothing that would (or legally can) prevent them from discounting that price, if they so choose.
  • Options
    You are right. Nothing precludes a dealer to get into a contract even at lost. The key word here is "decent profit". I do not think that there is a decent profit for a dealer on OSD. A dealer does not sell you that car, VCNA does. So, a dealer would have to give you a cash bonus with that additional discount.
    The OSD discount is bigger than the BMW ED discount by the margin that you have described. That is why a BMW dealer has some extra cushion to push his sales.
    FYI
    the ED discount on $41, 800 525i (the least expensive 5) is $2925 or 6.99%, invoice $38,220. So, the ED price is $775 ABOVE invoice.
    The OSD discount on $36,365 S80 2.5T (the least expensive S80) is $2910 or 7.99%, invoice $34220. So the OSD price is $765 BELLOW invoice.

I think that can explain the difference.

And we have to hear yet any, even anecdotal evidence from people paying less then published OSD price. I do not know anybody.
  • Options
    Edward,
    When I have read your message for the second time, I was a bit confused, so I have a couple of questions - do you know that there are published ED prices on BMWUSA.com, they are, on average 7% smaller than MSRP.
    Has that home town dealer offered a discount of $2500 from the discounted price or from the MSRP? The reason why I ask is that I have a hard time understanding what is the ED invoice? Since the dealer did not order that particular car for his inventory, who has invoiced whom? Since the internal production cost is never published, I think, you do not really know what that car is actually cost to the manufacturer.
    And if that was $2500 from MSRP, that dealer was milking you for additional 500 bucks.
  • Options
    racer3572001racer3572001 Member Posts: 12
    I purchased one of the very first XC90 V8's in the southeast. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Re: your idea of the nav system. Go to Sharper Image and purchase the Magellan 700 which is the same as the Neverlost system that Hertz uses. It can be used in any vehicle and easily read. I found things about the Volvo system I didn't like' such as seeing it in the daylight. The Magellan is less that 1/2 price of the Volvo.

I have the wood steering wheel and love it. To change over from the standard is about $500 when all is said and done. Is it worth it?

If I wanted economy, I would take the T5 over the T6. The T5 uses a Toyota 5-speed where the T6 uses an old GM 4-speed. Though I like the T6 steering better, the T5 has adequate power. 1/2 second slower than the T6 0-60. Big deal! The V8, however, does it in 6.9 seconds. Fuel economy of the V8 and T6 is about the same; however, the V8 might do better on the highway after wear-in. So far, I have gotten 21.2 with only 3400 on the odometer.
  • Options
    Re: Park Assist
    I have had it on my XC90's and love it. It can beep for a very low curb. It starts out beeping slowly, yet increasing the beeping the closer one gets to an object. I wouldn't live without it.

PS: It can be put into any Volvo purchased without it. :)
  • Options
    MMPh02;

Here's your solution to the nav system. Go to Sharper Image and purchase the Magellan 700 for about 1200 bucks. It is the same as the one Hertz uses called Neverlost. It is touch screen, has a voice and it can be used from one vehicle to another. Just think, less than half the price of the Volvo. I used the Volvo nav system and found things I didn't like about it - such as trying to read it in the daytime. The screen is not aimed at the right angle for the driver. The Magellan can be put anywhere on the windshield where the antenna can read the satellites.
  • Options
    Lev,

In answer to your question, the BMW dealer offered me a $2,500 discount under the ED price, not the US MSRP. And, to be more accurate, the dealer offered to sell me a 3 or 5 series at $1,200 over the ED invoice. The ED list prices have about the same percentage mark-up as do US prices (i.e. 8%). A website, www.eurobuyers.com used to publish the actual ED list and invoice prices. The no longer do that (BMW probably threatened legal action), but the cat's now out of the bag. Long story short, the 2006 550i 6-speed I may consider this fall would be about $2,500 UNDER the US invoice price through discounted ED pricing.

You make a good point on the Volvo - the OSD price is already below US invoice. And, if the dealer isn't making a full mark-up on the OSD sale, they have less room to discount, compared to BMW.
  • Options
    txfamilytxfamily Member Posts: 1
    I am purchasing a 2005 Volvo XC90 and would like to hear from anyone in the Dallas Metroplex area who has had an experience with local dealers. What is a god price to pay? I am interesting in the Premium Pkg, Climate Pkg., Reverse Waring system and the navigation system. I really am not interested in the Versatillity Pkg, but it is hard to find ny that don't have that feature included.

In addition anyone know how good the navigation system is or who makes it? I am wondering how it would compare to Lexus RX330 navigation system.

Thanks,

Txfamily
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the dealers will have 2006 XC90's available for sale?
  • Options
    anewdadanewdad Member Posts: 4
    A couple of questions:

Anybody had any good experience with V8 deals in Florida recently?

We live most of the time at 7500 ft. in northern New Mex. ....would the T5 or V8 perform any better or worse at this altitude? What about mud/snow/ and rough dirt rutted roads? MPG at high altitude? I'm used to a 4 wheel drive truck that I can engage according to conditions. We are trying to decide between the T5 and V8 and wondering if there are any opinions out there about these subjects re. mtn./tough road driving?

Thks for any words to help us make a decision and find a good dealer.
  • Options
    vector6vector6 Member Posts: 34
    Hello all - please advise...

I was quoted a lease on the XC90 T5 - with premium, metallic, rear-park, climate and versatility: first month down, $506.12/month, 4 years, 48k. I was shooting for a little lower after chatting in the "lease questions" forum, but wondered if (in the real world) these numbers look good/bad to others. My figures may have been skewed by mixing lease vspurchase incentives.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Well, my story has a happy ending. We just signed the papers on a 2005 XC90 T5 AWD with climate, premium and versatility, wood steering wheel, metallic paint, rear parking assist, all for $40k even, purchased at Boston Volvo. We decided to ditch the factory installed Nav system and get it from a retailer like Best Buy or Circuit City.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions. This is a great forum and I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on my experience with the car.
  • Options
    txstevetxsteve Member Posts: 1
    Hi Txfamily,

My information is a little dated, but you may still find it to be helpful.

I purchased a 2004 XC90 2.5T FWD in February, 2004, equiped as follows:

Climate Package
    Versatility Package
    Premium Package
    Wood Steering Wheel
    Bi-Xenon Headlamps
    Premium Sound System
    18" Atlantis Alloy Wheels

Total sticker price was $42,725.00, including destination charge. I also purchased various accessories with a list price (per Volvo's Web Site) of $576.30 excluding installation, so my total was $43,301.30 excluding installation of the accessories (I never found out what they wanted for installation, since I wasn't about to pay extra for that).

I paid $39,550.00 plus TTL. Drive out price was $42,300.00. I had no trade-in.

I am self-employed, so my time is my own. I spent a solid month on this deal, first contacting all four dealers in the Dallas area (Autobahn, Point West, Volvo of Dallas and Volvo of Richardson) via the Internet and then following each one up with one or more personal visits.

Bottom line, even though I live in Colleyville and Volvo of Richardson is the farthest away from my home, no dealer would come close to matching their price. I know this for a fact, because I gave each of the other three dealers an opportunity to match Richardson's price and each declined. I also found Richardson's salespeople and manager to be the most professional and the most respectful to deal with.

Some other comments/warnings. The salesman at Volvo of Dallas lied to me to get me to drive all the way to his store. After dealing with him for over two weeks (so he knew I was a serious buyer), he called me up and told me he had exactly the car I was looking for and to hurry in before it got sold (it just came off the truck and was in the back lot waiting to be cleaned up). When I got there, it had Black Metallic rather than plain Black paint, no wood steering wheel, aluminum instead of wood inserts, and no premium sound. When I told him that I felt that he had lied to me just to get me back in the store to try the old bait and switch, he blamed it on his manager for giving him bad information.

Autobahn does not have near the inventory of any of the other dealers so side by side comparisons are hrd to do at their store. Their pricing was also the highest of the four dealers.

Point West was honest and respectful and had a decent inventory, but would not match Richardson's price.

In the end, I am exceptionally happy with my experience with Volvo of Richardson. The only thing I would do over is get the Rear Park Assist. It's difficult to see when backing up an XC90. I have been back to Richardson for scheduled maintenance, and my experience was also positive.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

TXSteve
  • Options
    Here in New England, I was told by a couple of dealers that 2006 cars would start coming in late August.
  • Options
    ombackomback Member Posts: 1
    After having worked and lived outside the US for a number of years, plan to buy an XC90 V8 under the Expat Sales program. This is similar to the Military and Diplomat programs. You contact the dealer in your overseas location and buy the requested vehicle for delivery to a specified dealer in the US.

Can anyone comment on their experience with this program as to:
    - Amount saved from MSRP.
    - Any negotiation room or fixed price.
    - Delivery hassles.
    - Any other advice.

Thanks
  • Options
    sphere99sphere99 Member Posts: 36
    I am wondering if their are any major changes expected in the 2006 model. Also, I am looking to lease one should I wait until 2006 comes out?
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    If you are a member of armed forces, the savings is quite decent. However, it is not as good for diplomats, and expats (as I understand) that European delievery through a US dealer may actually save you more. One thing you may be able to swing is get optional features that might not be usually available on US models, but that is about the only thing I personally found to be attractive. Plus the wait is longer buying from overseas than from a US dealer, as they can modify cars in their allotment that are about to be built to meet your spec.
  • Options
    captklosscaptkloss Member Posts: 3
    I couldn't find more about it on Volvo's website except: " We'll ship it to you and take care of all the problems that make importing a car difficult, from excise taxes to import duties."

can you clarify one thing, will i owe any "excise taxes and import duties" if i decide to go with OSD program, upon delivery of my vehicle? Or the price (really good, below invoice) is my REAL price (plus my local sales tax i'd presume)...if not what are the additional costs?

thanks
  • Options
    A beauty of OSD is that it is as simple as it is described on the Volvo web site.

You fill up 1 page order form, sign a power of attorney, pay $2000 up-front, then the balance of the published price (which is about 8% bellow the MSRP and on a par with the best offers domestically - $700-800 bellow invoice) a month before the delivery - and then - just enjoy the ride...

You also get 2 round trip tickets to Europe and a night in hotel in Gothenburg, to sweeten a deal.

The organization in Europe is exceptional. I've done it twice, and everything was absolutely flawless, just like it is described on a web site.
    The pick-up and drop-off in Gothenburg is free, you pay for the inter-country tracking (Volvo does not drive your car from location to location) some nominal fees (clearly indicated on a web site) if you use other delivery and drop-off points. These fees are truly nominal and well worth of additional flexibility. For instance, the drop-off in Paris is about $300, and it saves you two days of driving back to Gothenburg. So, I always chose them based on my traveling plans.

Once a car is back to US, you pay local registration fees and taxes at the time of registration.

And that IS IT.
  • Options
    shaynashayna Member Posts: 12
    are there any incentives on the XC90 in June, such as the free versatility package previously offered. Also, I am being offered a lease at invoice. Can I do better?
  • Options
    crimsonlaw2002crimsonlaw2002 Member Posts: 12
    As of now, the financing deal offered by Volvo is 5.9% for 36 months. Can anyone tell me if this is as good as Volvo will do? I find that number really high given what other high-end car companies offer and given what banks offer. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    sthatsallsthatsall Member Posts: 1
    We would like to purchase an XC90 and would appreciate anyone offering experiences and/or cost paid from dealers in Virginia, Maryland, or DC. We are focusing on an AWD T5 with Premium pkg and most of the dealers around are saying that it'll be hard to find one without an additional pkg (Versatility and/or Climate). Anyone else experience similar or willing to respond with cost paid?

Thanks.
  • Options
    jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    We bought an XC90 a number of months ago. The nearest (and highest volume) dealerships to us were Don Beyer and Martens. Don Beyer was fixed, no-haggle pricing. (We certainly didn't get the impression -- even when we told them that Martens had beaten their price -- that they would budge.) Martens wound up giving us a better offer on a color/option package we preferred, so we bought from them.

One "surprise" I'll mention. As we were doing the final paperwork, the salesman saw a AAA card in my wallet. He asked if we were members. When we confirmed that we were, he copied our card and said he'd complete some additional paperwork for us. At least through Martens -- and I'd guess through other dealers as well since this is a manufacturer program -- Volvo sends directly to purchasers of XC90's who belong to AAA a check for $500. Talk about a pleasant surprise!

By the way -- I think dealers are telling you the truth when they say it'll be hard to find an XC90 (esp an AWD) in this region without climate. It's part of the typical mid-Atlantic build.
  • Options
    maddox05maddox05 Member Posts: 1
    I have the following offer from carsdirect.com. I live in tampa, would have to have it delivered from Georgia (or make the trip).

2005 2.5T AWD
    Premium
    Versatiility
    Ice white

$39,360.00 + $400 doc. fee + TTL

Is this about right? Has anyone in Tampa been able to find a comparable price?
  • Options
    avkavk Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if this helps but in my search for a pre-owned 2.5T FWD I was quoted the following new car price from Suburban Volvo in Palm Beach http://www.volvopalmbeach.com/ :

2005 2.5T FWD
    Premium
    Versatility
    Park Assist

$37,995

As I have just started looking I was not prepared to haggle just yet - you might be able to do better on the AWD model you're looking for.
  • Options
    850owner850owner Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a XC90 V8 (loaded except for nav) in late April and will pick it up this week in Cinn., OH, for $500.00 over edmunds dealer cost. $500.00 flat - he waived the document fees, advertising fees, and all that baloney after 2 weeks negotiations over the phone. I told him from the beginning that I would only pay $500.00 over dealer cost and it worked. It's a buyer's market, if you have the nerve to be an [non-permissible content removed]. Good luck to all.
  • Options
    tshentshen Member Posts: 4
    Hi, looking to purchase XC90 with V8/Conv/Touring/Climate/Metallic Paint. What is the best price in the Bay Area? The lowest price so far is the dealer invoice of $47,859. Is this decent price?

thanks!
  • Options
    xc90xc90 Member Posts: 5
    Ok.

I am planning on going in this week to buy a new V8. I was thinking that going in closer to the end of the month would give me a better chance at getting closer to invoice. Any ideas?

Also, what does everyone think about getting the extended warranty (100,000miles)?
  • Options
    123appraiser123appraiser Member Posts: 6