Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What Volkswagen TDI Owners Should Do Now | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Volkswagen
imageWhat Volkswagen TDI Owners Should Do Now| Edmunds.com

Now that Volkswagen has admitted to manipulating the emissions of its 2.0-liter diesel engines in several models since 2009, affected owners have been left wondering, what should they do now?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    "Other than choosing not to drive the car at all, ...."

Kelly, I think you are grossly over estimating the environmental awareness of the average American who needs to go to work. Not going to happen.
  • Options
    henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    I don't think Kelly is saying to not drive the vehicle, she is just stating that aside from not driving it, there is nothing people can do. I believe it is just a roundabout way of saying...there is no fix at the moment.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A lot is going to depend on how much effect any fix is going to have on mileage and/or performance. No doubt that finding the quirk in the system to game the emissions testing was dumb, but I'd be interested to know how much the cars would have missed passing by. It's not like the cars were leaving clouds of exhaust smoke behind them. It feels like the rigging was done to save a buck, but I could be wrong about that.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2015
    Not clouds of black soot but they are leaving clouds of asthmatic carcinogenic NOx laden emissions that just happen to be invisible. Up to 40 times the permissible amount per the news stories.
  • Options
    stever said:

Not clouds of black soot but they are leaving clouds of asthmatic carcinogenic NOx laden emissions that just happen to be invisible. Up to 40 times the permissible amount per the news stories.

Yea, that 40x number sort of takes it out of penny pinching and makes me think the mpg and/or performance hit will be noticeable
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    PF_Flyer said:

stever said:

Yea, that 40x number sort of takes it out of penny pinching and makes me think the mpg and/or performance hit will be noticeable
    That's exactly it.. Driveability, great fuel mileage, no DEF needed? Can't do all that and still have clean emissions coming out of your butt. If so, everyone would do it. Who else has a diesel that can do that?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    No free lunch. Even EV's have to get their energy from somewhere
  • Options
    johns_52johns_52 Member Posts: 1
    Clean Diesel, that's what they sold me. Clean, outstanding MPG and decent torque.
    False advertising, deception, fraud etc. etc...

I'm reading that the "refit" is going to dramatically effect fuel efficiency, performance and some think engine wear. If so, this will not be the same car that I purchased. Instead of a "refit" I will want a "reset". We start all over - I walk back into the dealer's showroom, they give me back my $30K and I give them the car.

I have doubts that the dealers were not aware. This is not a new scam, they have been running it since 2009. I have informed my dealer that I am not spending a single dollar with them until this is resolved to my satisfaction.
    DAS BOYCOTT
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    johns_52 said:

Clean Diesel, that's what they sold me. Clean, outstanding MPG and decent torque.
    False advertising, deception, fraud etc. etc...

I'm reading that the "refit" is going to dramatically effect fuel efficiency, performance and some think engine wear. If so, this will not be the same car that I purchased. Instead of a "refit" I will want a "reset". We start all over - I walk back into the dealer's showroom, they give me back my $30K and I give them the car.

I have doubts that the dealers were not aware. This is not a new scam, they have been running it since 2009. I have informed my dealer that I am not spending a single dollar with them until this is resolved to my satisfaction.
    DAS BOYCOTT

While a buy back is not out of the question, I would think it unlikely that you'll get your purchase price in return. You have used the car for xx months and xx,xxx miles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Hypothetical... what IF any refit kept you very close, say 95% of your current mpg and performance? Would owners of affected vehicles be OK with that result?

Just fodder for conversation :)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    PF_Flyer said:

Hypothetical... what IF any refit kept you very close, say 95% of your current mpg and performance? Would owners of affected vehicles be OK with that result?

Just fodder for conversation :)

Not without compensation added. No doubt that a 95% result would hurt resale.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Will be interesting to see what the actual hit turns out to be. If it get closer to 10% than 5 % or less, then VW's diesel biz setback would seem to be serious, and might affect diesel sales in general'
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Refit will bring mpg down to the EPA certified levels so no fault there.

But less torque and bland acceleration. So its a toss-up
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter seeks to interview a current VW TDI owner who expects to buy another car in the next two years. Please email PR@edmunds.com before Oct. 7, 2015 with your thoughts.