Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Right now there is a TBD on build date for option 64W, 18" Prem Alum Whls.

Ordering this option will delay your build date.

Consider the option 64E, 18 inch Polished Alum Whls.

This appears to be the only commodities limitation in effect right now for 06 Mustang.

Mark
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,536
    For no other reason than I wanted to.......I decided to take a little "cruise" last night for about 50 miles of backroad driving.

Having a blast and all of a sudden "MY COLOR" dash lights start flashing all red when I had them set to "blue". Look down at the computer readout and my "miles to empty" reads 48 miles. Now, that's a feature I didn't read about in the manual......"low fuel" makes the dash flash red..........

Filled it up at the next station and dash lights go back to blue.
  • detailzdetailz Posts: 47
    I have read that the 64W option will be offered at a later date....the dealer is guessing early spring of next year. I had ordered the 64E anyway as I think the polished Aluminum wheels would look better with the Tungston metallic anyway.

Might not even need the silver stripe as discussed previously............
  • mojojojo24mojojojo24 Posts: 24
    My understanding is that these were always marked as late availability in the '06 order guide.

link title
    I've noticed that the new 06 Tungsten color has been referred to either Tungsten Silver or Tungsten Gray. Anyone know which is correct and where on the web I could find the actual colors? I saw a picture of a die cast model with Tungsten and it looked like "Silver Metalflake" which really looked great.
  • 05gt05gt Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. i'm new to the board,i went to order a '05 g.t. today,but the dealer informed me that i can only order a '06 model is this true??I also heard a rumor the '06 g.t.'s were going to come with the supercharger is this true??.What i;m trying to locate is a '05 g.t. 5-speed, torch red or black,with the dark charcoal interior,and bullit wheels.Any leads??..... Thanks in advance.....
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    It's either a dark silver or light gray - take your pick. The color on the model (if it's the 04 Detroit Auto Show Mustang GT w/lighter silver racing stripes) is accurate. The dealer should have samples already or very soon.
    Yes, the 05 GT's are sold out. If you're ordering it has to be a 06.
    No, there is no change in engines for 06. The supercharged 5.4L will debut next year as a 07 model (Shelby GT500).

All mustangs have 5 speeds including the automatics. I assume you meant manual.

Best bet is to order the 06 now and wait. Make sure your dealer puts you at priority 10 and expect to pay MSRP.
  • tmtgttmtgt Posts: 18
    Just left my dealer.. the manager talked to someone at the plant.. still 375 '05 mustangs sitting out there with a problem they are working on...mine of course, is one of them.
    they are being shipped as they are fixed. Mine was built 5/23 and is 5 weeks overdue, not to mention it was ordered in Feb. There were 600 held up 2 weeks ago, so I guess they are making progress..assuming this is all true...I don't believe much of anything anymore until my car is in front of my face...
  • Jon90Jon90 Posts: 33
    I expect to get my new 05 vert on thursday or friday. I know that sometimes the top can be finicky and am thinking about extending the warranty to get some peace of mind. I have never bought one before. Has anyone here bought one and did dealer discount. I think you have a year to sign up, so i don't plan on getting at delivery unless they show me a good deal on it and i just get it over with. I am planning on writing a check for the car, so it might be easier to do all in one fell swoop.

Any thoughts? Experiences?
    Thanks
    I don't advocate extended warranties, especially if you're paying cash. But if you're going to buy one make sure it's a Ford ESP. You can get them from any Ford dealer, not just the one that sold you the car, so shop around. Even some non dealers sell them. And you can buy it anytime before your factory warranty runs out so you have 3 yrs/36K miles to decide.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    These are great questions that are also likely to generate valuable feedback if you post them in the following discussions:

Ford Mustang: Prices Paid & Buying Experience
    Smart Shopper Forum

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Jon90Jon90 Posts: 33
    i looked there first, didnt see anything recent and this thread seems to get alot more people and feedback. I don't think the prices paid thread will get too much traffic until the dealers start dealing. Right now they are pre-sold for approx 3-4 months on the GT. They have no reason to deal. If anyone gets one they know someone. I paid sticker and don't feel hosed.

By the way my esp warranty was about 1230 to make it 6/75.
    I also have a place people can get updates if they like on production from a ford employee. Edmunds used to restrict naming any other sites but i think there is a way to send me a message on here, I will forward it to you. last time i looked (about an hour ago, lol) this one thread on the forum has over 57,000 views and adding several hundred a day!!!

I am probably going to get the warranty this time, but will wait. I don;t think they discounted it any when talking to me today, but they did make sure to write the quotes in my file and mentioned "their cost". I will probably add it later just for piece of mind. One or two failures can easily be 1200 bucks.
    Motor Week just named the Mustang the best coupe in America!

On a side note, I took my GT to the dealer yesterday to have my radar detector "hard wired" (dealer owed me a favor since I sent two "buyers" to him). SM let me drive his V6 'vert for a couple of hours until mine was finished. This is the first time I've driven the V6 (too hot in OH for the top to be down).

It's a nice piece. Very tight and solid. The V6 has a lot of pep. Automatic shifted smoothly yet firmly.....

Very nice!!!!!
  • modelamodela Posts: 5
    I requested that the dealer send me the "New Order" sheet which is, I believe, the document that the dealer sends to Ford to actually order the car. It has a partial VIN, the order #, the body type, the dealer code, and a description of the car you ordered. If the dealer doesn't have this, they may not have ordered the car.

The dealer should want to give this to you since you will be calling Ford for updates, not the dealer. I called 1-800-392-3673 and choose the option which was "questions about a Ford vehicle" option #4. I asked them to provide information about the build date of the vehicle. I called avary 2-3 weeks.

It seemed that everytime I called they made a record of the inquiry.
  • kendux1kendux1 Posts: 3
    I plan to rent a convertible while on vacation- my choices are the Mustang or the Sebring, Which has the largest trunk and passenger capacity? Kendux
  • jackinokjackinok Posts: 4
    I've seen alot of 05 (over 100) on ebay. Most going at MSRP or a little under that. There are a few close to what you are looking for. I have found a couple that are almost exactly what I want. Instead of a shaker 1000 they have a 500 or something like that. I can live with that if I can have it in 5 days!!!! Good luck.
  • GraphicGuy,

I'm dissapointed. You shoulda gone topless, even at 98 degrees it's a thrill! Sweaty, but a thrill!
    Way to go, Motor Week :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • Kendux,
    The Sebring wins all around for passenger and trunk space, especially if you have more than one passenger. However, if two are going, you can't beat the Mustang for fun and a lot of head turning, and there is plenty of room for a few items in the back seat. Have a great vacation either way
    I must be missing something!!! I have been in a purchasing position for over 30+ years in the printing industry............so why on earth are people expecting MSRP, rebates, ANTHING extra; on new Mustangs; whether now or many years to come...still don't get it! .......we are in a sellers market and not in a buyers market!...........
    Sonic....temps were hovering near 100. The 'vert was black with black interior. Since it wasn't my car, I didn't mess with it too much other than to kick it down (auto trans) a couple of times.

Even the exhaust sound on the V6 had a nice snarl to it....nothing approaching the GT, but good nonetheless.

Besides, if I peeled off my shirt while driving, the ceramic color of my skin would have blinded other drivers...... :P :shades:

detailz....talking to my dealer's SM yesterday, he said he expected that the '06 demand to be even higher than the '05s. Only reason, no one knew whether the '05 Mustangs would sell well last winter. That was the only reason I was able to get mine at the X plan price when I bought it last winter.

Now that everyone knows the Mustang is a huge hit, the SM said he's got twice as many orders for '06s than he did for '05s at the same time last year. He's expecting his entire '06 GT allotment to be sold out by Jan 1st '06. He's a "straight-up" guy. He said all '06 GTs will be sold at MSRP. Although, he did say he's got some Steedas and Rousch's on the way, they don't do "additional dealer markup". He said they tell their customers upfront that there is no negotiations on GTs....the sticker is the price. He also said the longest he had a GT on the lot was 72 hours....it was yellow. Most were either ordered, or sold off the carrier when it hit the dealership. He "ebayed" one with no reserve that sold for $1K over sticker. He mentioned he wouldn't do that again since the first two "highest bidders" tanked on him and the eventual buyer couldn't get financing until the F&I guy was finally able to convince a "sub prime" lender to pony up the money at......ready for this.......17% APR. That buyer must have wanted the car badly.
  • "17% APR"

Ouch. :sick:
  • vppreachervppreacher Posts: 72
    17%....WoW!...I wonder where in the cellar of credit card scores was that person's #!
    I have to ask the question in the fact that you are the "host"!. What is the real answer to the question as far as when people will receive Mustangs that have been "custom" ordered? I've been waiting over 4 months and just received word that they will roll it over into a 06...just great...does this mean yet another 4 months?
    PLEASE help us out here ..... I am about ready to give up and go to a Charger or a GTO......are these great questions for the "wait times" and "buying experiences" in your postings?????
  • alexndsalexnds Posts: 2
    According to the Edmunds.com and other sites, a V6, non-convertible, should cost about $20k and a V8, non convertible, should be between $25k-$28k depending on options. However, the V6 is far more abundantly sold and I've seen 1 year old cars, that is, cars with about 10,000 miles on them from the early part of the model year fetching about $22k, and V8 is in short supply. So basically, if you're really in the market for a V8 version, and you don't take alot of options, be prepared for some price gouging and full sticker and expect to be around $30k more realistically speaking. Right now, the car is hot, and dealers are getting full sticker on the V8, and some, above sticker. The Pontiac GTO, either with the Corvette derived 5.7 Liter, or the newer one, the 6.0 Liter has about 100 ponies over the Mustang and you can find 1 year old 5.7 Liter Gto for the price of a new V-6 Mustang. In a year from now, things will cool off.
    detailz...
    Ford admitted that 13,000 '05 GTs would not get built. But, much of the ordering "snafus" can be attributable to the dealer's themselves. Customer ordered cars are sold to someone else willing to spend more money for it than the person who ordered it. While I don't think that's right, I've seen it over and over again. Dealer tells the customer who ordered that it's Ford's fault. Well, those 13,000 that didn't get built can be attributable to Ford, but if you ordered 4 months ago, I don't think that's your case. At the very least, your dealer didn't communicate with you the status of your order. At worst, they sold it out from under you.....didin't give you a 10 priority....or, didn't have any allotment left (and conveniently didn't tell you).

While the Charger or GTO are fine alternatives, they aren't Mustangs. We've already beaten to death the differences, so I won't go there.

If you're still in the hunt for a Mustang GT, I'd find a dealer who will order an '06. One who will give you a 10 priority and will give you your VOC (vehicle order confirmation). I doubt any dealer is out of allotment on '06s yet, but I'm not 100% certain of that. If all that transpires, then the first '06s will start rolling off the line next month. I would think that 8-10 weeks delivery would be reasonable if you find an honest dealer.

I think you should be able to get an '06 Mustang GT premium manual tranny, all loaded up for around $28K (MSRP).

On the other hand, GTOs are plentiful. They aren't on any special programs for GM's GTO pricing, so expect to pay around $32K (since GM stated they aren't renewing any employee discount plans). I'm guessing, but since the Charger is just hitting the street, you might find it difficult to get a hemi model at any substantial discount right now. That puts it in that 30ish ballpark, too. There's already a $500 rebate on them, so my guess is they aren't coming out of the starting gate too strong.

Depends on what you want. Do you want instant gratification (get the GTO or Charger)? Or, do you want a Mustang?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Imagine that you are an executive at a very conservative company run by accoutants and you have to predict sales on the new 2005 Ford Mustang.

What do you use as a guide? Previous Mustang sales?
    Do you take the next step and increase those sales over the previous year by a figure based on the increase the last time a new body was introduced?

I can definately tell you what you don't do. You don't predict that Mustang is going to have its best year in over 14 years. You don't predict that demand for the V8 will be at its highest in recent memory. You don't predict that it will take 190,000 to even come close to meeting demand.

YOU DON'T predict that Mustang will sell better than 13 different entire car brands or will account for 2% of the new car sales in the US.

Its easy to blame ford. But if you wanted a new Mustang, you would have done what 192000 other people already did, got your order in early...

Mark
    Mark....all good points!
  • I have a 2005 convertible GT. The more I drive it, the more impressed I am. That said, I have two minor gripes, and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered these.

The convertible top process and mechanism is not near as good as the one on my previous 2003 Mustang GT. The 2005 seems to take forever to raise and lower, and it doesn't seem to want to align correctly with the windshield at times.

On a couple of occasions, the driver window has automatically lowered itself after I used the automatic up feature. It's almost as though it hit something on the roof and reversed itself. This may be related to my issue above.

Anyone else having these quirks?
  • vppreachervppreacher Posts: 72
    WELL SAID, Mark!

It's funny how we expect perfection from everyone else (car makers, mechanics, doctors, etc), yet how quickly we forget all the mistakes or bad decisions we make. Some people can't get the concept that only hindsight is 20/20.

The current stratospheric gas prices only adds more weight to your already strong argument. I think people blame Ford for making a car that is "too" popular. It is probably one of the greatest all around sports cars in history. It's fast, handles like a dream, even at MSRP is a steal, and looks sublime.