Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• jordan7jordan7 Posts: 77
    If you don't want to use the cell phone holder for your phone, it easily slides up and out thereby giving you more room and easier access to the compartment.
  • kirkendollkirkendoll Posts: 21
    Does anyone know where to access service bullentins?
    Also, just a note, I have been have problems on my remote start.
  • Pricecutter,

I appreciate your comments. Except possibly for the color of mudflaps, this may have been the most controversial issue in the Avalon forum so far, so I "hesitate" to approach it again in the absence of more data. For the moment, this term seems to describe the observations reported by a number of Avalon owners, my own included. For me, the occasional cases of transmission indecision have been no more than minor hiccups, a benign sign of an adaptive system, and at no time have constituted a safety issue.

Best wishes,

havalongavalon
  • I'd like to share the following theory I'm chewing on, to help understand why the transmission may sometimes seem "indecisive". Others have posted related thoughts in this forum or others, which have helped me shape these views.

We are told that the Avalon has an adaptive transmission that "learns" the driver's patterns/habits and can modify the car's responses and performance accordingly. It is important to remember that during learning tasks, initially one may make mistakes. The Avalon's occasional shifting indecisions may be a reflection of this learning process when conditions are changing.

An example: suppose you suddenly change your driving style, say from conservative, gas-saving to more agressive if you realize that you are running late, or if the road opens up ahead of you. It could take the transmission some time to catch up with your change in driving style and it may seem indecisive for a while.

Another example: you leave home with a full carload in the morning, drop off the four teens and slowly leave the School Zone, then suddenly you step on it to catch up with the 300C you just saw waiting at the next stop light. How predictably will your Avalon respond to these changes in payload AND in your driving style? Couldn't it possibly shift into a "wrong" gear at that initial moment?

Here is another thought: In cars with two or more regular drivers, different drivers may have very different driving styles. So, after you switch drivers, initially the transmission may need some time to catch up with the change. There could be what you could consider an inappropriate response to your foot's wishes, a momentary hesitation, before your Avalon realizes who is the new rider on the saddle.

What all this seems to mean is that the Avalon's learning period may never end, it could and should go on forever. As is the case for us evolving people, this should also be the case for a flexible, adaptive electromechanical system. So if you are a sole, very consistent and very predictable driver, your Avalon will have figured you out right away and has probably performed flawlessly ever since. But if you have variable driving conditions, or change your style often, or are one of several drivers, your Avalon will need to be continually adapting to the changing conditions and may sometimes seem to be indecisive while in the process of adapting.

For me, the occasional cases of transmission indecision have been no more than minor hiccups and at no time have constituted a safety issue. On the contrary, this adaptability should allow the car to perform in a safer manner in the presence of typical changes in conditions, demands or driving styles.

Some cars used to come with a two-position switch: "Power" or "Economy". The Avalon appears to do this and more, in a subtle way.

Hope this helps,

havalongavalon
  • mi_satmi_sat Posts: 42
    I don't get why people ask if they got a good bargain AFTER they've purchased.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Usually between the information that can be accessed from this page Maintenance Schedules, Recalls, and Technical Service Bulletins as well as the helpful contributions of a couple of mechanic members in our Technical Service Bulletins discussion, we can produce all the information here, all for the most reasonable price of your membership in our Forums! ;)
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    Several weeks ago we (member *3puttmax* and myself) determined that the 2005 Avalon had a theoretical top speed of about 142, maybe a little more, (assuming no speed limiter) and posted that result on this board. We used two different methods to arrive at essentially the same conclusion. Glad someone, if they did this, was on a track and not a street. Thanks for the confirmation.

Also, several people here, including me, think the Acura RL is a much better comp to the Avalon than the TL. Apparently you agree if you have had 3 RL's in 7 years and now go with an Av. Any one thing make you change? Or many? Let us know....
  • Hi Everyone :)

I have been busy doing as some suggested and taking it back to my Toyota dealer. Here is what happened. I called Tuesday and it turned out that the mid atlantic toyota "guru" was in baltimore and could swing down to Vienna to see my car. I was supposed to leave work early to meet this guru and take him out and show him what the car did. He was supposed to be there until 5. I got there at 4:30 and was told he left at 2 :mad: I wish they would of called and told me. I would not have taken off work to meet him.

The bad news: There is a fix for the Lexus which displays similar issues but they can not apply it to Avalons. The transmissions are the same but the engines are different. I could not get a commitment from anyone on whether they are trying to get a fix for the Avalon. The service director told me there many others like me. I asked for names and numbers so we could lobby Toyota but he would not oblige.
    He said that many of them were having the problem ALL the time. Not only is it happening in the Avalon but also in the Highlander. Toyota is pretty much leaving it to the dealer to try and fix the problem but the dealer is telling me they have no where else to go. I think the car being a program should compensate for driving style differences. This version does not.

The service director explained it this way. It is a combination of car and driver. The car is computer controlled. The software only knows that you want to go forward when your foot is on the gas pedal. The same for the brake. In this car you lose the ability press the pedal to reach speed and then ease off and only put your foot on the pedal again when you want to increase speed again. The service director called them pulse drivers. The computer picks up the on and off action on the pedal and that makes for uneven acceleration and shifting. So you need both a car with an electronic pedal, a computer directing the gas release and a person who drives the pedal in pulses instead of continuously leaving your foot on the pedal.
    The dealership can not do anything because Toyota claims no one is having the problem/it does not exist. What can we do to help ourselves? Pay attention to the pedal and the way they explained it was press with purpose and do not release even if the car kicks or jumps. (I recommend a empty parking lot to a highway). After several times it picks up that the pedal stayed depressed and lets the gas out gradually and continually. this tends to minimizing the jump (it will happen less often and not be a bad). He also advocated using the standard shifting anytime the traffic is bad and you do not feel comfortable pulling out. Kick it over to standard and shift it 1, 2, 3. In this way you can be sure you are getting the pick up you need. Another thing to keep in mind, moving to standard erases the learning and so provided you know how to drive standard you can switch over to that side drive it in standard for several stop lights and reset the computer. I was doing it the past few weeks and the car would drive fine for a while but then it would hiccup. Also the standard shift at level 4 will adjust down if you are not going fast enough to be in 4.. so in 1 you can only drive 1, in two it will adjust between 1 and 2 and so on up the line to 4. It sounds like if you leave it in 4 will will still drive like an automatic only you will not have the 5th gear. I am testing these things over the next week or two to see if I can make the problem "disappear". I will let you know how I fare. The other alternative is that we can do the lemon law arbitration thing. I am not to that point yet. I spent two months looking before I settled on this one. So, I kind of doubt I am going to find something else.
    If you are looking to go into a Avalon my advice is to ask to drive it over night and make sure you take if for 100+ miles in automatic. If you get up the next morning and it still drives ok in automatic, the car is a gem for you.. run to the dealer and buy it. If you have problems, give serious thought to how much time and effort you will can put into retraining yourself so that the car is not a nightmare to drive. If we are lucky there will be a update or change to the software code to lessen the effect of drive style on the car.
  • laserpamlaserpam Posts: 8
    Because we need to feel like we haven't been screwed by Car Dealers!
  • canefirecanefire Posts: 12
    Chip,
    I'm in complete agreement. Based on no problems for drivetrain, mechanical and electrical systems for our four toyota's spanning 21 years (all vehicles still running and being used), I did not purchase the 7yr/75,000 $1500 warranty being offered for our 2005 XLS. Although others in this forum have expressed a recurring concern on the quality of this NEW model year, our 1995 XLS reliability has been excellent which, statistically, should carry on with the 2005's. By the way, Consumer Reports has a great article concerning extended warranty's and in general, do not think the extra bucks warrant the additional coverage, which as a whole, I have adhered to and have not been disappointed, as long as a quality and highly rated product is purchased.

Laserpam, It's your money and your peace of mind! : : :) :

canefire : :shades:
  • Hi avalonkitten,

Thank you for sharing what you learned today, very interesting. I just re-read your original post as well. The advice you were given, to "pay attention to the pedal and ... press with purpose and do not release even if the car kicks or jumps" sounds a lot like the technique for braking with ABS; never pump the brakes but rather hold a steady pressure because if you pump, the ABS gets confused.

What did he tell you about how hard or far to press the gas pedal? I find that my Avalon requires unusually low pedal pressure (and, on the other hand, requires a fair amount of brake pedal pressure) compared to my previous Camry or my 2003 Honda Pilot. Maybe it's how it has trained to respond by now; but as I recall, both pedal sensitivities were like this, from the beginning. In normal traffic driving I just step on the gas very lightly, over a small fraction of its travel. If I suddenly press the gas pedal 1/4 of the way down, my car instantly downshifts and roars away.

When you follow the advice you received today to hold a steady pressure, I'd suggest to try to press on the gas pedal as lightly as possible. If you hold this level the car shouldn't kick or jump; it should soon learn to accelerate gradually and smoothly.

If training Avalonkitten in this manner is successful, but still doesn't do the trick of taming Avalonkitten's Avalon, then clearly your Avalon may be a problem learner and need drastic remedial help.

Best wishes,

havalongavalon
  • On your other point about manual shifting: "It sounds like if you leave it in 4 will will still drive like an automatic only you will not have the 5th gear", this is correct. It does not behave like a manual; it behaves like an automatic transmission but with fewer gears, the top gear being the one you select. You can force a downshift, only because you are selecting a lower gear as the new top of the range. But you cannot force an upshift using the shifter; it will note your wish and upshift to your selected gear, if and when it decides to do it.

havalong
  • 3puttmax

Hi There
    What weather tech mat did you get I went to site where you got it and spoke to customer service and they say the cargo mat for 05 Avalon is available in Black only (never came in grey)Your pic looks grey ?

Can you tell me if it is grey or black
    Also looking to change out license frame from black plastic dealer frame Anyone find anything nice ? Thanks
  • jordan7jordan7 Posts: 77
    License plate frames--I purchased a simple chrome frame (about 3/8") from auto parts store ($5.00 - Advanced Auto I believe) for both plates. It matches the width of the Toyota emblem on the trunk and looks great, just enough of an edge to match the trim of the car. Also placed bolts in the bottom 2 holes of the plate and frame.
  • bakeroidbakeroid Posts: 39
    barclay3

Congratulations!!!! Mine still seems to be a week or two away. Hope to hear today on the exact delivery date. Ordered on March 5

I did see a Cassis Pearl Limited in a dearership in Sarasota FL which had just been prepped for delivery. It was gorgeous. I think you will be pleased.

Please let me know how the pinstripes look (color, number, width, etc.). Maybe I can talk my dealer into a freebie also.

Are you planning on installing "back-up" sensors?

Please keep me posted at "first1@ix.netcom.com" or on this forum.

By the way, today is THURSDAY the 13th, so no need to worry about omens.

Bakeroid
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Posts: 119
    analyticangel -

My WeatherTech cargo mat is black. Most Toyota dealers sell custom chromed license plate brackets with "Avalon" on the bottom in fancy black letters. I got one for the front - looks very nice. On the back, I use a simple chrome one with no lettering, since Avalon is already spelled out on the trunk.

Max
  • dajabdajab Posts: 35
    "Does you car have a Nav system. I would like to cover that well over and maybe I can just get a nav cover."

Yes, it does. Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know where you would start looking for such a cover. Dealer? Toyota? Third party?"
  • jackevejackeve Posts: 5
    That's where the DVD player for the Navigation System is located in our Limited
  • barclay3barclay3 Posts: 90
    I picked up my Cassis Pearl Limited today. It is one great looking car inside and out. Cassis pearl is a deep burgundy, very classy. I don't understand why more people don't buy this color. The interior is ivory with the light wood which makes it look bigger than it is. I like the wood steering wheel (I never had one before). The JBL radio sounds very good and is easy to use.

I've only driven it 20 miles but there have been no strange shifting of the transmission, the ride is very smooth and quite.

The driver seat adjusts in so many ways that it took me awhile to get it to my liking but I did and it is very comfortable. I especially like the ventilated seats blowing out cool air.

The pin striping will be painted on next Friday. I don't really need back-up sensors. I only park backing up at the train station.

The sunshade goes up and down quietly. I'll put my change inside the front armrest (no problem there). The radio cover works easily and looks good.

I know I just got it today but I am very happy with my choice. I don't think I made a mistake.

This is one great looking car!
  • kinzuakinzua Posts: 44
    Havalongavalong,
    I have a $38,500 limited on order. I don't think for one minute that I should have to tolerate hesitations etc. while the transmission tries to figure out who is driving the car. The examples you put fourth are exactly the reason why this "learning" process will never provide the owner with the consistence performance one should expect from a luxury automobile.
    This “learning” concept really has me concerned because I just talked to a friend who has a 2004 Lexus ES330 and was told they would reset the computer and the learning would restart, hopefully eliminating the hesitations.
    I’m not interested in hearing justifications or excuses for the way the 2005 transmission may perform. I’ve driven a Touring and a Limited and for the short spin I took I’d say the transmission performed flawlessly. And, that’s exactly what I expect from the Limited, due to be delivered to me on 5/29/05.
    Thanks for your toutorial, even though it sounds like what I'd expect to hear from an enthusiastic used car salesman. :)
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Posts: 104
    Hi Kinzua!!
    I have owned a new Avalon for about 2 months now and I can say I have never experienced and transmission indecision yet. This is the second Avalon we've owned and this car is as smooth and solid as our 95xls was. Our new Avalon is an XLS in blizzard pearl with VSC, Trac control, etc. Both my wife and I drive the car so if the car has to learn different driving patterns then it is doing a bang up job. We live in an area where there are lots of hills and I have no problems with the transmission trying to find a gear. My previous car was an 02 acura TL which was supposed to have grade logic control in the tranny, which would slow the car down while decending hills. The Avalon is a smoother and better riding vehicle, not to mention the 280 HP on tap. I am sure you will love your new Avalon, just don't take all this buzz about the tranny too seriously until you have driven your car a few miles!!!!! Good Luck!!!
    gladiator99
  • lntlnt Posts: 192
    Does anyone out there have a Cassis Pearl with the gold package yet? I am supposed to have mine done the 18th and I sure would like to see one first to be sure I will like it. I liked it on my 98, but that car had more chrome on it. I would hate to have it done and not like it. I may just cancel and wait awhile.
  • donb1donb1 Posts: 49
    I am ready to buy an XLS and have test driven it several times. Last night I took my wife with me and the Passenger AIRBAG ON Icon came on stayed on. Is this normal?? I don't want to turn off the airbag but that light is really annoying.
    Has anyone gotten the XM radio? If so, did you leave the antennal on the turnk lid?
    I think it looks so tacky as to be enough to make me look at another option.

I think I had seen pictures of it mounted on the center back of the trunklid. That still looks crappy but a lot better than stuck on the side.

Thanks
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Posts: 119
    donb1-

Check out messages 4682 & 4718. Attached photo shows small XM antenna mounted inside underneath windshield. Practically invisible, reception is fine. Another poster had the stock Toyota antenna, which is larger, mounted inside under the rear window. So - you have options.

And yes - the AIRBAG ON light is normal and always there when there is a passenger in the front seat.

Max

• 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    The airbag light shouldn't be on constantly. Usually that means the passenger isn't sitting in the seat properly.
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    Post 5618 is correct. Again, every time you have a passenger in the front seat, the airbag light is illuminated. This is normal. Regards: Dan
  • burlburl Posts: 40
    Some 4000 +- E-mails ago In March My wife and I went out to drive and buy one of the first avalons in the mid west. Drove it for 10 minutes, came back and told the salesman it has the
    "Hunt and Peck" transmission and the throttle body Gliches that none of us wanted to see.
    We said thank you and left dissapointed.
    Came back to this forum and reported what we had seen and several members helped us out by telling us those problems did not exist and insenuitated that we weren't quite right in the head to see those problems because they don't exist . Same thing with our comments that we weren't rearly sure that it rode as well nor was it as quite as the old body stile "blastfumy and Ignorance" was insunuiated again.
    Drove another one month later : Same problems ,...Changed but still there....Many of the forum
    still denying that the potential for problems "could or did exist'.
    Car has a wonderful Rocket for an engine...... it also has the or at least the potential for the problems that have been pointed out by MANY. Honestly know what to say when so many keep denying it does not nor can not exist in many of the cars. Kind of like the old story that the
    "the uglyest gal in the bar starts looking pretty good about 'the last call'. Guys I realy want to like this car.... It has much going for it and that rocket for an engine is almost enough for me to buy the car and hope for the Best. BUT Toyota had better get their fannys in gear and fix these problems that "Don't exist" or their well deserved repution for ABSOLUTY DEPENDABLE CARS has to take a hit at some point in time, even with the "unseeing"
    Yesterdy I was given an ES300 to drive while they were putting on a REAL paint stripe ...... It was almost dangerous to drive because of the worst case of "doesn't exist" that I have yet to
    see. Salesman said " It must be one of the older loaners because that problem had been fixed"
    Hummmmmmmmmmm.
  • cafpafcafpaf Posts: 65
    I just want to throw in my two cents regarding the passenger airbag light. As long as an Adult over 65 or 75 pounds is in the seat the light is constantly ON. If someone lighter and presumable smaller is in the seat the light will not illuminate. For safety reasons such a smaller person or child should ride in the rear seat. The light is strictly controlled by the weight of the person and not how they may be sitting in the seat.
  • beetle1beetle1 Posts: 5
    For pictures of the "center" mounted XM ant. see Msg 2192. This is what I had done. On my Phantom Grey Pearl exterior the black box in that location looks fine
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Go buy an Infiniti M45 or BMW 545 or for that matter any other car that "does not have the problem." This car clearly doesnt suit your driving style. There are plenty of other cars to choose from. Since you don't own the car, complaining about it is a moot point.