Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    dalcollidalcolli Member Posts: 23
    I had found two pictures of the dark wood. I'll try to post this first one here:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/New/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38244/Act/Photos/

(Last picture on the right)
    I thought the other one was here on Edmunds somewhere, but haven't found it yet.

Edit: Found the other one on CarsDirect but it's the same picture.
  • Options
    stoneb1stoneb1 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone purchased a 2005 in Blue Mirge metallic? Can you post a picture?
  • Options
    Just found this one with different perspectives:

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2005/vmd12056ml.html
  • Options
    techymantechyman Member Posts: 5
    Great price ! My touring is scheduled to arrive by Friday (hopefully). I got it just about $2500 off MSRP and the extended warrenty is around $890. but my 1st cousin is the salesman and I just bought a limited 4runner from the same dealer so very impressive! I also got my financing from my credit union but the contacts at the dealerships couln't do any better (always good to check even if family is envolved !)

Good luck..Can't wait...
  • Options
    rjuergensrjuergens Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in your mileage figures. Did you use 91 octane or 87? That may make a difference and the cost will be significant. Will the car PING using 87 octane? Your answer will help me decide on the limited or another make vehicle.
  • Options
    pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Here are 3 pictures of Blue Mirage metallic Avalons. The first two are of an XL I saw at a dealer, shortly after it arrived, hence still has some protective plastic on. The third is off a web site. After seeing it in person, I thought it was a beautiful, classy color. It was a little darker than many of the other lighter blues. My last car was the generic "gold" color, and our Sienna is the white pearl, so I ordered my Avalon Limited with Ivory interior in Mirage Blue Metallic. Blue is my favorite color, and most other people seem to be getting other colors, especially the Blizzard Pearl, so I don't think I'll see myself coming down the road too often. :-)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/pmcb48/bde3c961.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/pmcb48/81740bf2.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/pmcb48/9bba4d5a.jpg
  • Options
    clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Where the heck our y'all dealing?

Got my Limited with:

VSC
    Nav
    Wind deflector
    Mud Guards
    Cargo net
    Toyoguard
    No...dealer ad fee

for INVOICE plus 1,500

And I felt I could have done better -- Just wanted the car. Dealer 35 miles north -- was asking MSRP plus $3,000 and got it.

Wealthy buyers out there....lol

They'll be selling AT invoice in a few months.
  • Options
    ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hey my friend mikeroch....I noticed a Maxima in the parking lot at work today, and took a close look at it. It is very sporty looking, but there is something about the way the new Avalon slopes in the back that makes me love it more!! I thought to myself..my car looks more awesome than the Maxima !!! Hope I didn't confuse the issue, maybe you need to put one side by side to help make your choice!!!!!
    RONN
  • Options
    If you figure a 20 cent per gallon difference between 87 and 91 (premium octane), at 15,000 miles per year and 20 mpg that's $150 per year to use premium instead of regular (87) octane, or just over $12 per month to get the maximum performance the engine was designed for. Speaking only for myself, if I'm spending $35,000+ for a car, $12 a month by itself is not enough to make me switch to another car or settle for lesser performance by using cheaper gas.
  • Options
    fossilizedfossilized Member Posts: 2
    On the subject of regular vs. premium fuels, here is the result of an email I sent Toyota through their website at toyota.com.

Here was my question:

"Given the current high cost of gasoline, I have seen articles in newspapers that claim there is no reason to burn premium fuel (other than for performance). Is this true? I am considering purchasing an Avalon and would like to know if it is O.K. to use regular or at least midgrade fuel."

Here was the answer:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry. We recommend unleaded gasoline, Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher; for improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 or higher."

Not understanding 'Research Octane Number 91' I googled it. It's complicated but it seems this refers to octane ratings used in some other countries that represent 4 points higher than in the U.S.A.

I take this all to mean that it is perfectly safe to burn 87 octane but for maximum performance the use of premium fuel is recommended. That's good enough for me. I now have an Avalon on order. I want the performance and I will burn premium fuel, but I feel assured that 87 octane will do no harm.

I know this may not be a definitive answer but at least it came straight from Toyota rather than from speculation. Those still in doubt might do their own email query. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I agree and after I burn through most of my first tank, I will also be using 91 octane or higher. I was a little disappointed that when the dealer delivered my car, it was filled with 87 octane. However, if you take the Toyota response above (which looks like a cut and paste from the owners manual), 87 octane will not hurt the engine and may, in fact, be OK for many owners. It may just boil down to personal opinion, but for my 38K+ Limited, I'll spend the extra $150 a year to make certain I am experiencing all that my Limited was designed to deliver.

Regards: Dan
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    There's a wealth of pictures of the new Avalon at www.pressroom.toyota.com or www.toyota.pressroom.com try either url I always get them mixed up but one of them works.
    : )
    Mackabee
  • Options
    jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    In the Limited with SMARTKEY, is there some means for an "accessory" position whereas one can listen to the radio or perhaps program the NAV System without starting the car?
  • Options
    dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    "In the Limited with SMARTKEY, is there some means for an "accessory" position whereas one can listen to the radio or perhaps program the NAV System without starting the car?"

jl618,

Yes. All you have to do is not step on the brake when you press the start button. First press allows you you to turn on the radio, second press allows all accessory functions, third press turns everything off. To start the car you must first step on the brake peddle before pressing the start button.
  • Options
    chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    Just bought 05 XL 2 weeks ago. Dealer called me yeaterday, said it was being shipped & should arrive in another2 weeks. White with ivory interior. Paid list price. Been dealing with this dealership for 20 years. No problems. Dealership said to use 91 octane gas & change oil every 3 months or 3 th. miles to avoid sludge problems. I agree. If you can't afford the oil changes, you should buy a car. I did a long test drive in a demo before buying. It seems to shift more harshly than my 98 Avalon. I couldn't find any big difference in power. Any comments?
  • Options
    jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    any thoughts about driving my new Avalon Limited on a 1100 mile trip when it only has 200 miles on it. is there a break in period or is that just fiction? we usually drive about a steady 80 MPH. i have heard so many different opinions (vary the speed every 15 minutes, don't go over 70 until you have 1000 miles, don't start out fast from a stop) i am not sure how to drive the new car.
  • Options
    agentagent Member Posts: 56
    Here was my e-mail to Toyota.

Fantastic Car!! Only reason I'm not buying one is because I can't get the Touring suspension with the VSC. Why is that? Volkswagon offers it on ALL of their models for only $280. If I could get an '05 Avalon XLS with VSC and the Touring suspension, or the Touring without paying $910 for a sunroof and the option of adding VSC I would buy one today.

Here is Toyota's reply.

We appreciate your interest in the Avalon.

We are sorry that you are unable to get an Avalon Touring model configured to meet your needs. We made a marketing decision to only offer Vehicle Stability Control on the XLS and Limited models.

We make every effort to manufacture a quality product by researching, testing, and constantly monitoring performance. Consumer opinion and perception also play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling, and reliability.

It is through communications such as yours that we become aware of the reactions and expectations of our customers

Start e-mailing Toyota folks!!
  • Options
    williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the pix. I definitely like the darker wood. As for the Indigo Ink, the photos look great. I drove an XLS in that color, and that sold me on it--I am still convinced it was the right choice for me. My daughter agrees, which is nearly everything!
  • Options
    here was my reply to the above stated response.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has expressed this concern. Do you have
    any future plans that will accomidate my needs? Here is a great resource
    for consumer thoughts about the new Avalon.

/WebX?displayRecent@@.ef2150b

and Toyota's reply

We have not announced any plans to offer Vehicle Stability Control on the 2005 Avalon Touring model.

Information on the 2006 Avalon is unavailable at present, as we have not launched the vehicle. Generally, the new model year vehicles are released in late summer and early fall.

We appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    "Dealership said to use 91 octane gas & change oil every 3 months or 3 th. miles to avoid sludge problems."
    The dealer, I think, is trying to take you for a ride. (And I'm shocked!) Is he actually implying that the engine is so poorly engineered that following Toyota's 7,500 mi. oil-change recommendation places the car at risk? Per Consumer Reports studies using N.Y. taxis, modern oils hold up just fine under the most trying conditions for at least 7,500 mi. And the use of premium fuel might (and might not)add some very marginal zip if you're burning rubber for absolute maximum pickup, but, beyond that, I think the only difference will be psychological. Octane is for knock and ping prevention only as I understand it.
  • Options
    johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    Service dept. profit margins are higher with shorter drain intervals. Per the maintenance guide, Toyota is calling for 5,000 mi engine oil changes in the 2005 Avalon. Period. For "Special Operating Conditions" such as driving in desert, on dirt roads, or towing, additional inspections are recommended on items like engine/cabin air filters and ball joints. There is no mention of changing engine timing belt so it looks like it has a chain. Also, there is no recommendation to change engine coolant or transmission fluid(unless towing) - just inspect. Personally, I like to change both coolant and transmssion fluid regularly though Toyota says it is equipped with a "Super Long-Life Coolant."

You are essentially correct about octane. Toyota is vague about "improved vehicle performance". One old fashioned fix for knocking was to retard spark plug timing. With the fancy sensors and electronic modules, I suppose it's possible there is a knock sensor that would wind up changing spark or valve timing, or other parameter that could affect performance. That's just a guess.
  • Options
    williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    "any thoughts about driving my new Avalon Limited on a 1100 mile trip when it only has 200 miles on it. is there a break in period or is that just fiction? we usually drive about a steady 80 MPH. i have heard so many different opinions (vary the speed every 15 minutes, don't go over 70 until you have 1000 miles, don't start out fast from a stop) i am not sure how to drive the new car."

If the Avalon engine is similar to Sienna, the book will advise avoiding two things for the first few thousand miles (I don't think it specified exactly how long)-- avoid sustained driving at a fixed speed, and avoid full-throttle acceleration. That's one reason I don't want my new Limited to be test driven by prospects at the dealership--everybody wants to see what that new engine will do. Anyway, look under break-in in your owner's manual. They will tell.
  • Options
    mol_sonmol_son Member Posts: 4
    I would like to buy Avalon 2005. Could anybody give me advice about dealer in New-York who have a good prices or can make a good discount. Thank you!
  • Options
    bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    I guess I am in the minority on wishing the Avalon had Bluetooth. I have experienced it on an Acura TL, and WOW! It really is cool to be able to say, dial Tom Gregory, and the number is dialed, and you can talk through your car phone speaker.
  • Options
    oldgrumpyoldgrumpy Member Posts: 11
    You can take a plant tour of the Kentucky plant where they build Avalon. Go to the bottom of the page to click on bandwidth. http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/vtour/vtour.asp
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "also when you change the oil filter, do you just change the "core" or the entire filter as in the past. I have heard there are replacement cores which would make it difficult to change oil at other than the dealer."

Core only, the filter box contains a core, a plastic drain spigot and 2 O-rings. My local grease monkey had no problems changing the filter at 1K.

Unscrew filter cannister (can) plug, insert drain spigot and drain oil from the can. Remove spigot and the small O-ring comes too. Then unscrew can, remove large O-ring and toss both. Remove filter core and toss. Clean can, lightly oil O-rings and carefully replace. Replace filter core and carefully rescrew can. Takes about 10 minutes.

The 05 takes 6+ U.S. quarts of oil.

Not hard at all.

MikeS.
  • Options
    "I have just ordered the 2005 Avalon Limited in Indigo Ink Pearl with Graphite/Dark Wood interior, Option Package C (Nav, laser cruise control, VSC), remote start and carpet mats. Our total is $34,192, including everything except tax. The list is $37,928, so that would make it $3,736 below MSRP. Sound like a good deal?"

Heck yeah! Best deal I've seen on a LTD. Where are you at if I might ask?

MikeS.

P.S. I have exactly the same car in Ivory and am loving it!
  • Options
    ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    Where did you find an EMAIL address for Toyota? I did not see one on their web site.
  • Options
    tallguytallguy Member Posts: 26
    If you buy from a dealer outside of your local area (like 40 miles away) and bring it for in warranty service at a nearby dealer (3 miles away) will you receive any different treatment than if you purchased it at the same location?
    The distant dealer is interested in doing business, the local one must have a lower allocation, or just skimming the cream.
    Thanks
  • Options
    star51star51 Member Posts: 17
    "Where did you find an EMAIL address for Toyota?"

I had the same difficulty. After stumbling thru a convulated maze, I finally discovered they use webmail here:

http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/home.php
  • Options
    This was my primary question, whether the deal was too good to be true. This is supposedly a no-haggle price for credit union members. I certainly wish I belonged to that credit union, as several times in the past I have not been impressed by "special" prices for credit union members, and have actually done better on my own. To get such a deep discount on a new model, from any source, is phenomenal; in this case, about $1000 better than anything else I have read. I hope it works out for them.
  • Options
    "There's a wealth of pictures of the new Avalon at www.pressroom.toyota.com or www.toyota.pressroom.com try either url I always get them mixed up but one of them works."

Don't you have to have a password to get to the pictures???

MikeS.
  • Options
    buckeye6buckeye6 Member Posts: 8
    The Service manager told me, "I have to justify my existence here. What they sell up front is their business and in no way effects our end of the business".
    I have owned a toyota(at least 1) since 1977. Only two were purchased at the local dealer, but all have been serviced there.
    My 05 XLS was one of the two.
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
  • Options
    psypsy Member Posts: 122
    Well it was a bust. The dash was way off center. It had the hesitation thing going on right off idle it wanted to fall on its face and had way to much road noise. They had this thing with some package that isn't on toyotas sight, vin numbers ground into the glass. The sealant package and 2ea mud flaps on the front that looked tacky.Wanted 33.450 for it. No JBL, no remote start. I said I wouldn't give you 29k for it... its way over priced. The off center dash in any car is not right. The off idle stumble and road noise was worse than my poor little Ranger. I told the salesman and manager.. This car shouldn't even be for sale at this point. So with there advert fees and processing fees just call the car 34.500 out the door. Thats down right insane!!! Sad thing is they will sell it to some idiot in Tulsa for that price and feel good about it. I was VERY DISSAPOINTED in this car and the over all way the dealer is trying to screw folks. It was horrible. Made me proud to get in my little 2000 4 banger XLT Ranger with 112k on it that I drive 80 to 100 miles a day. Still cant believe that car or the dealer,,, shaking head

I discovered the seats in my ranger aren't bad at all. If I get a Avalon it will have to be a Limited. Would have to have the seat ext. thing to get support Im use to under my thighs. Im 6'3" and the seats didn't seem as good as the ones in a Accord.

Im so mad at that dealer... That car has problems and theres no way one can get to that MSRP even on the Toyota site. I wanted to belt that sales manager.

Ive said I wasn't going to break my never buy a first years production rule and today reinforced it.

And dont buy in Tulsa... ITS A TRAP!!!!

Good Luck With Your Toyota Stealers. Wont go back to Jim Nortons ever again.

psy
  • Options
    I'm trying to match my ivory interior to other toyota products by using the color code. I think mine is L511. Can anyone confirm this or point me to where I can get this info?

I want to buy a headrest DVD system and a couple makers offer them for other Toyota products, including Lexus.

Thanks gang,

MikeS.
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc.

Customer Assistance Center
    Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc.
    Department H200
    19001 S. Western Ave.
    Torrance, CA 90509
    310-468-4000
    Toll free: 1-800-331-4331
    TDD toll free: 1-800-443-4999
    Fax: Fax: 310-468-7800
    Web site: www.toyota.com
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Does anyone has any idea when the 06 Avalon is coming out ? Will it be late summer or early next year ? Will they add VSC and traction control for the XL and Touring models. I think omitting them from the lower trim models was a gross oversight on Toyota's part.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response. This sounds logical.
    Steve
  • Options
    Please read posts #2487 & #2489
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Took a test drive in a new Avalon XLS today. These are my impressions:

the engine is absolutely superb. Excellent torque and power delivery. Very smooth. The transmission was not as good as I expected it to be. It seemed to have to hunt for the right gear on a few occasions and the sound of the hunting seemed to project itself into the cabin. Otherwise, the car was very quiet with no noticeable wind or road noise up to 35 mph. I did not get an opportunity to drive at highway speeds but the cabin was quiet to that speed save for the intrusiveness of the transmission. I did not notice any hesitation, however.

Overall, the quality of the ride was excellent. Now if only the quality of the audio system was a bit better . . . . The "proprietary digital algorithm" "surround sound" effect is definitely not as good as a true 5.1 DVD-A experience.
  • Options
    Glad you're enjoying your car - I can't wait!

Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Options
    As others have commented there is no moulding to protect the doors on the Avalon. Although I am happy to walk from the far corner of a parking lot we all know there are very frequent situations where you cannot avoid being park near other cars. My question to those that have purchased, have you explored are had moulding installed? Are they able to match colors? How much did it cost? Was the dealer able to do it?
    And if yes to the above, could you post a picture. I just know without moulding dings are just around the corner. Even with moulding it may be anyway, but at least I can try. I know it looks better without, but that is life in the big city (in my case LA).
  • Options
    fb1fb1 Member Posts: 2
    Dalcolli, Can you give us the dealerships name where you are getting your great deal? ? If you are suppose to keep it to yourself, we understand. Thanks.
    FB1
  • Options
    littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    ATT:MACKABEE.
    I notice where the outside mirror signals are available on the XLS in the Southeast area and that backup sensor (Park Pilot) is available on 05 Avalon models in Gulf area.
    Anybody know of plans for these options to be made available in the Central Atlantic area??
    Some of us poor drivers really need these things!
  • Options
    Sure - and I have not personally dealt with them since the credit union guy takes care of it, but I believe it is O'Brien Toyota of Indianapolis (http://www.obrientoyota.com/).
  • Options
    jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    "Yes. All you have to do is not step on the brake when you press the start button. First press allows you you to turn on the radio, second press allows all accessory functions, third press turns everything off. To start the car you must first step on the brake peddle before pressing the start button."

I wonder why I am still amazed at the lack of knowledge dealer personnel have regarding their products. I asked five different Avalon sales/fleet people at five different Toyota dealerships and got the same "cannot do" answer. And that was after I asked to speak to an Avalon expert.

Granted, the 05 is new, however they should know nearly everything about it by now. They all said they hadn't had time to read the manuals! HELLO !!!?? Yet they all said I was welcome to sit down in their cubicle and read them for myself.

And watching them squirm when attempting to use the Nav system is another sorry story.

I suppose I should be pleased that we students of this forum are often more knowledgeable than the sales persons, thanks to dishimkat, Mackabee, et al, but it still aggravates me when they can't answer basic questions, and how seemingly uncaring they are when you catch them in the act.

It ALMOST makes me want to un-retire and start selling cars.

I could not in good conscience attempt to sell a $30K - $40K anything if I couldn't describe how it works in minute detail.

Some of you salespeople out there jump in and tell me I'm the only one out of touch here.
  • Options
    perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    Picked up my black limited today in a driving rainstorm...the dealer had it stowed away in the detail area so customers wouldn't fingerprint it. The gold package installer is coming to my house today from the dealership and adding any touches I want on the car. Great people, even filled the tank with premium and spent an hour showing me the nav and all other features. The drive home was incredible, the wipers came on automatically and sped up as the rain intesified. The car is beautiful in black and ivory interior. I wonder how long the honeymoon stage will last?