Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "For anyone who has driven the Avalon at 70-80mph on the highway, is there much wind noise?"

A subjective ? but in my opinion, no. I drive 75 -80 for several miles every day, weather permitting. There is some noise but definetely not disturbing, as long as you have the sunroof closed all the way. We didn't on the 2nd day of ownership and I thought something had gone totally wrong.
    "Can you use voice commands or the joystick to adjust Navigation commands on the Avalon? Or, do you have to pull off the road every time you want to change a destination?"

You can definetely use voice commands while driving, you can activate navigation and suspend it all while driving. I don't know if you cam add a destination though, I would doubt it.

I needed help last night in Baltimore, took a wrong turn and got confused. We pulled off into a wide spot and I entered our destination. Worked beautifully!

MikeS.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    ronn - a no brainer...get the lip spoiler!
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hey out there...first I would like to say thanks for all the great information I have found here...so here's another one for you.
    While I know this is personal preferance, I would like to know if the XM RADIO is worth the extra for it. I live 3 minutes form work, so long trips don't happen often. I Listen to CD's most of the time, but I love JAZZ. I tried another car that had the xm, and loved all the jazz stations it had. It was great....I know the Limited radio is prepared for the xm, so is it little trouble to add it? Do they run a cable throught the car from the trunk? What is done?
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Mackabee:

I asked and for good reason. You should now that the towing capacity in the last model was 2000lbs for this vehicle, and it has changed now to 1000lbs, which I believe cannot tolerate a even a Class II hitch. Buyers should be aware of this, as all that glitters is NOT gold. It is a fact and even with all the hoopla about the extra torque and HP, it is what it is.

abfisch
    Couln't agee more. Could you imagine paying $500 for a spoiler and a gold package. Talk about a waste of money. My my. It is all about the sell.

abfisch
  • clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Unless the spoiler is a 'freebie' -- forget
    a-bout-it!
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    On the spoiler- Adding it is a personal choice, I would take into consideration that the person who buys it from me in the future will be 60+ years old and wouldn't buy the car for that reason. Gramps doesn't want the grand kids making fun of him in a pretend racing car.
    Okay guys...you have just saved me money...I'm not going to do the spoiler thing... Now, How about my last Post on the XM RADIO...would you like to give information on that? Remember, I am 46 years old (young) and I bought this car for its sporty look...that's why the spoiler was a thought, eventhough the car looks great as is. NOW THE XM RADIO?
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    ronn,

The Limited model is set up to accept a seamless installation of the XM radio by either the factory or your local dealer. After is it installed there is nothing additional visible inside the car. The XM receiver is hidden inside the trunk behind the trunk lining on the passenger side. All wiring is hidden, except for the XM antenna which is visible as a small square box on the outside of the trunk. The existing audio controls on the dash and the steering wheel allow you to tune and preset XM stations. When it comes from the factory it will be installed on the passenger side of the trunk lid. I had my dealer move it to the center of the trunk lid by the rear window because I didn't like the way it looked on the side. They told me that Toyota put it on the side so it did not block the center high mounted stop light. After mine was moved the center high mounted stop light is not blocked very much and is still very visible. Here are some pictures:

XM antenna placement by Toyota:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/4.jpg

XM antenna placement after I had it moved:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/6.jpg

Like you said, if you like jazz, you will love the XM. XM offers 5 jazz stations:

70 - Traditional Jazz
    71 - Contemporary Jazz
    72 - Modern Jazz
    73 - American Standards
    74 - Blues

I particularly like channel 71, called Watercolors, which is contemporary. I think the XM is really worth it, even when they are raising the monthly fee from $9.99/month to $12.95/month as of 4/2/05. If you sign up for a 1-5 contract period, the monthly rates go down.
    RONN:

You did yourself a service with the spoiler thing. Ridiculous waste of money. The XM radio however is not ridiculous and here are my own impressions from 3 years of use. Realize I don't have a fancy new Avalon, but an 02 Avalon XL, which I put in the Delphi XM radio with a dash mount device specific for the Avalon, to take out the head unit and use in my home.

1. For long open road trips, it is very enjoyable. I use to travel from 5 hours at least once a month to see my wife near Canada. The XM stereo always made the long drive short, because of the selection of different music, weather, etc. as well as the freeedom of not having to change discs etc. The comedy channel sometimes has me smiling for hours, and it wasn't the car (Avalon) necessarily that was doing it.

2. The antenna: The best I have seen is the Honda Accord. Beautifully executed, color coordinated in the central back portion of the roof. I put mine in the same location, about a foot up from the window, however, I dared not punched a hole in the roof and ran the wire centrally to the rain channel, down the passenger side rain channel, brought up the trunk seal, under that, then took about the trunk inner panels to run it up to the front. Sealed everything with silicon black automotive chaulking. Alot of meticulous work, yes. Does it leak, no. Does it work yes.

The Avalon antenna I have seen on the trunk looks awkward, and I question it proactive engineering, longevity, and appropriateness. I am sure others on this forum differ, but it was an obvious afterthought for those who really are critical of all cars and demand things to be symmetrical and exact. I obviously have a problem with their antenna. They should have made it from the factory and had a roof mount. too bad, but I see no reason why anyone could not do what I did if they wanted. The performance could be diminished especially in the city, as the antenna should be as high on the vehicle as possible. Trunk mounts, while workable, at least in my manual, where not the preferred route to install the antenna.

The cons of the XM is that between tall trucks , or in tunnels, or on the side of a mountain, it will cut out, leaving you with nothing, not static just nothing until you receive the signal again. It costs $10/month, but I secured a subsription for $7.85 by subscribing for 4 years.

Good luck and I hope you get it.

abfisch
  • boatsmanboatsman Member Posts: 37
    I am also in the tampa bay area and have a black/ivory avalon limited. I have yet to see another avalon on the road around here. Who did your gold package? Her contact # please. What dealer did you get your car from?
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Congratulations on the car It sounds beautiful How are the prices of the Avalon in the Tampa area Were they willing to negotiate? Thanks
  • dodgedodge Member Posts: 25
    I was just wondering when i saw the new avalon, why it dident have side body molding like the older model. Does any one know why this is?
    Bought my Limited from a Bay area dealer 3 weeks ago at cost +

In 2 mos they will be dealing like crazy.

Same thing happened with the Chrysler 300.

Do not pay anything near MSRP -- In fact don't pay more than cost + 1,500. In 3 mos. : cost plus 500
  • roswellbuckeyeroswellbuckeye Member Posts: 2
    This isn't an answer to your question, but I share your pain. I live in the boondocks of New Mexico, and have exactly one Toyota dealership in almost 200 miles. They are trying to saddle us with $1000 worth of stuff like undercoating, "Dealer Prep", "availability" (isn't that what they're there for?), a glued-on pinstripe, and other goodies that they've included that I didn't want, don't need, and certainly don't want to pay for. (This is on top of They figure we won't drive the extra distance I guess. It especially ticks me off since I bought my last vehicle from them, AND plan to pay cash.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I ordered my Limited 2 weeks ago and got 2875 below MSRP. No nav or radar control. Visited two dealers and they quoted MSRP. They claim they can sell them that way. I told them "Good By". A dealer in Maryland has about 20 Avalon's listed on his lot . No Limiteds.

Ang
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Why not get a truck to tow with? I don't think this vehicle was built with towing capacity in mind. Why all the vitriol towards the new Avalon?
    : )
    Mackabee
    Mackabee:

Thanks for the comments. Your question is kind of leading. The answer should be obvious. I did not want a truck, I wanted a full size car, a large reliable comfortable car, a car with a bench seat, and would somewhat do sustained highway driving and drive much like a polic interceptor for the amount of highway driving I do. I got that.

You should know that I don't necessarily think the new Avalon is a bad car. Actually, it is very nice. However, one sided emotional frenzied buyers "cause I gotta have the newest latest and greatest" is NOT what this forum nor free speech is all about. And although we all agree to participate on this site, and I value you extremely thoughtful and educated input, all the facts about this new model including its pros and cons should be laid out and compared to competitive models.

The lack of adequate towing capacity, the lack of break away side view mirrors, the obvious change in sound deadening materials, the dual exhaust tips, should not be obscured by the high tech features that are being offered, some which are very nice and others that have little utility to some nor value nor longevity when the vehicle gets old.

Please bring your knowledge base to this forum good and bad so we can all learn and make educated choices about what we do and don't like.

As I said in an earlier post, the first 00 Avalon I ever saw was in Canada with an older couple making there way with a small U-haul trailer to probably the Canadian Atlantic coast. A nice way to spend a whole summer and a comfortable vehicle to get you there. Only a high speed train would have been better. I am not the only person that tows with this car obviously.

In our household we both travel much and appreciate the ride of a car versus a truck or SUV but have a home with 40 acres of land. A small utility trailer has been one of the best $1000 purchase I ever made, and the Avalon pulls it good, not great, but good, in everything from wood, lumber, snowblower, lawn mowers, insulation, etc.

I have been working on the Avalon for three years now, so I know this 02 vehicle rather well.

Keep us all in tune with the good and the bad. Especially in the first model year. Thanks for your contributions.

abfisch
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    It's really funny that according to the brochure Toyota COROLLA has a towing capacity of 1500 lb. -- how come the little Corolla can tow 50% more than the Avalon?!
  • gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    I got the Park Pilot from my dealer in the East. I could also get a gold package but was told it was up to $895.00! It would be cheaper for me to drive down to Sarasota, FL. I passed. If I were a dealer I'd make sure my customers knew what I could do. They are all big on environmental and warranty packages. Without this forum I would have never known about the Park Pilot.
    Hey...The reason is to give a more European look to the car. Lots of 2005 cars to not have this moulding anymore. The BMW 5 series is one of them. The 2005 Avalon actually copied alot of the look of the 5 series. Just be careful, and watch those doors. I park mine away from others as much as possible.
    Thanks for all the information on the xm radio. Since my car is black, I should have no problem putting the little antenna box in the center of the trunk like the other guy did. Since it is black, it will not show much. Thanks again..I'm getting some prices for having it done at the dealership. I'll let you know the outcome in a few days!!
    Thanks for the info..I like the box in the center of the trunk. It does look much better. Since my Limited is black, the box will not show up that much on the center. Yours looks good too!!!! Much better in the center. Thanks for the pictures!!!!
    I'm getting prices from the dealer..let you know in a few days..
    I want to thank all of you for the wealth of information I have found on this forum.When I shared with the dealer about the XM Radio information, they didn't know much about it at all. They did not realize the Limited was ready available for the XM radio. They had little information about any of it. No one has ask them about it, and they have not done one on an Avalon yet. I guess I might be first...kinda scarey !!!
  • figaromdfigaromd Member Posts: 18
    SPOILER = SPOILS IT

I HATE THOSE THINGS. UGH!
    Ladies & Gents:

Anyone have a LINK for Avalon '05 discount parts?

Seems all the sites I visit -- have the '04 Avalon and that is it.

I'm interested in all weather front mats.
  • tunintunin Member Posts: 5
    On a screensaver tv program a while back when they reviewed satellite radios they said the quality of sound was less than CD quality. They went as far to say they sound like poor quality mp3 format. Any feedback on this?
  • hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    My wife noticed when we took the test drive that she thought the driver side armrest on the left and the console in the center were a little lower that what she thought was comfortable. Anyone else feel that way? Thanks for your help. Hawkeye
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I was just making an observation based on your posts. How was my question leading? Did you ever consider a Tundra to own along with your Avalon? With 40 acres of land I imagine a truck would come in even handier. Plenty of towing power.

"The lack of adequate towing capacity, the lack of break away side view mirrors, the obvious change in sound deadening materials, the dual exhaust tips, should not be obscured by the high tech features that are being offered, some which are very nice and others that have little utility to some nor value nor longevity when the vehicle gets old."
    Lack of adequate towing according to who? Break away mirrors have never been available in the Avalon and the 05 is actually quieter than the previous generation according to the engineers that designed and built the car, and what is wrong with dual exhaust tips? As I said before, this new Avalon was designed with previous owner's input and I know for a fact that this is true. Also we are aiming for a wider audience and looking at the sales numbers and age of buyers it's working. If you don't like the car that is your prerogative, but a constant "beat the dead horse" message gets old.
    : )
    Mackabee
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    tunin,

I have been listening to the XM, along with my CD collection, for about 1 month now on my new Avalon. IMHO I believe the quality of the XM to as a good as the CD quality.
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    I may be old fashioned and I'm definitely not rich but can someone explain why you need a $1900 NAV system? Can't you just use a map along with your natural sense of direction or am I just behind the times :) ?

Does the 05 have a timing belt or chain?
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Honda and Acura have a very nice system. I program mine while driving. I really like being able to enter a phone number and having the system show the name and address.

Putting in an address while driving solo is not a good idea, but is fine while at a stop light. If I am solo and need to reprogram I'll usually pull over unless the new place is on the list of 20 previous addresses or in my address book. These are just two screen touches, but I don't do this in heavy traffic.

The newer voice activated Honda/Acura system makes it easy and safer to reprogram while driving.

Chrysler uses what appears to be the same system (at least in Cruisers), but without voice activation or a touch screen.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    >> However, one sided emotional frenzied buyers "cause I gotta have the newest latest and greatest" is NOT what this forum nor free speech is all about.

Um, well not exactly, that's a BIG part of what this forum is all about. Certainly it's not the whole picture, and opposing view points are always welcome, but the emotions and frenzy and gotta-have-the-newest-latest-and-greatest posts are always welcome (as long as they are civil and respectful, of course!).

And not to stir up a hornet's nest by ANY means, but it's worth noting that a private enterprise such as Edmunds.com sets the rules of the message board it offers via the terms of use to which everyone agreed when joining this community. The general concept of "free speech" isn't a criterion by which posts are accepted; the Membership Agreement (link at left) is.

I don't want to sidetrack this discussion and will be happy to discuss any thoughts or comments any of you might have in reaction to this post by email, but I did think it was important to make those points. The thoughts you have expressed are not infrequently expressed by others, so I thought I would take this opportunity to set the record straight for everyone.

Pardon the interruption - carry on!

:)
  • alanbergalanberg Member Posts: 4
    Please be so kind as to post more pictures of your Avalon. Some of us here would like to see more of your car. Thank you.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    BARCLAY, YOUR NOT OLD FASHIONED. I THINK IT'S A QUESTION OF THOSE that are really tech guru kind of people that love all this new stuff, it hasn't anything to do with whether its necessary or not. If money isn't a question, than it's nice to have since one day it might come in handy, and the cash that doesn't mean anything to someone will be well worth the price. It's a real toy that works. The old toothbrush works, why buy one that vibrates. Well it works better. Such is life and good for business. Take care my friend and don't feel old fashioned, its your choice as well as anyone else.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Well folks after all this time and going slowly in putting miles on my XLS, I am averaging approxiamtely 22 miles in local traffic on the first 340 miles I have so far put on. My car is QIET, AND I MEAN QUIET, definitely quieter than my 04. I am enjoying it so much and hate putting miles on it.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Is the Limited model with its acoustic windshield much or any quieter than the XLS at highway speeds?

Thanks.
  • everesteverest Member Posts: 12
    Both 2006 BMW 525xi and 530xi sedans have -- hear this -- 4400 lbs towing capability!

New Avalon engine generates far more torque (260 lbs-ft) than these new BMW engines (525xi: 185 lbs-ft & 530xi: 220 lbs-ft ).

Obviously, Toyota didn't see the need to give heavy towing capability to these cars (which is a mistake in my opinion). If many consumers demand it, they will have to make the upgrade on future models.

For those wanting to do some serious towing and fantastic traction, there will be new beasts in town -- $44,000, 2006 BMW 525xi or its sibling, $47,000, 2006 BMW 530xi!
    chain
  • iflyx5iflyx5 Member Posts: 14
    For those of you who would like to install the XM Tuner yourself, here's the installation document from Toyota Information System (TIS). It's in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.

I did the XM Tuner installation today on my '05 Avalon Limited and it took about 1 hour. I mounted the XM antenna in the middle of the trunk, which is a much preferred location than the factory location, which is center of trunk on passenger side.

I do have some tips and tricks for the installation. Send me an email if you want them.

http://www.x5portal.com/05_Avalon_XM_Tuner_Installation.pdf
  • iflyx5iflyx5 Member Posts: 14
    For those of you who would want to change the oil in the 05 Avalon, here is the link to the document that shows you how to change the oil/oil filter. Courtesy of Toyota Information System (TIS).

http://www.x5portal.com/05_Avalon_Oil_Change.pdf
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    Barclay, you're not old-fashioned and it is a lot of money for a NAV system.

But if you frequently travel for business or pleasure, it is a wonderful thing to have.

Trying to read a map at 65mph on a dark, rainy night on an LA freeway isn't much fun. It's nice to have a voice tell you that your exit is on the left in 2 miles. Knowing several miles ahead that you should be in the left lane of 5 lanes instead of the right lane can be quite helpful when there are 5000 cars in front and in back of you -- and some of the drivers might shoot you if you try to get in the left lane from the far right lane.

Trying to get directions in a strange town to that perfect restaurant from the hotel desk clerk can also be an experience. "Let's see, I think you go up 5 blocks, turn at the house with the five dogs out front, go past the Amoco, take the jog in the road..." Don't ask, don't tell should be their motto. With the NAV, I just punch in the address where I want to go and just follow the voice directions.

If I'm running low on gas, I just punch in GAS STATIONS and a list comes up sorted by distance and brand. If I want lasagna for dinner tonight, I can punch in ONLY Italian restaurants and a list will come up that I can sort by distance or name. The NAV will give me the restaurant's phone number, if I want to call ahead and make a reservation.

If my "Maintenance Required" light comes on, I can search for the nearest Toyota dealership on the NAV screen. It will also give me the location's phone number so that I can call to see if the service department is still open. Maps can't do that.

Etc. Etc. I realize you can do many of these things with a map, and/or a cell phone. But having used the Hertz NAV system and now owning the Toyota system, I'd always want a NAV system in my car, especially since I travel so frequently on business.

If you rarely travel, it would be a waste I guess. But for those who do, it is nice to have. Mapquest works. But not like a good NAV system.

Sorry for the long post.
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    Great Post!! Very well said. I am meeting with my dealer tomorrow to discuss terms and what not. I can't wait! I've chosen to get after market everything. I'm 29 and a real estate agent so this car appeals to me in every way. I'm getting a great deal and will be wrapping into the loan extra funds for a replacement stereo, (JBL paper cone speakers suck) an alarm, XM radio and a portable navigational system. I'm so darn excited. I thank everyone for all of their posts in this forum: good and bad. This has been my #1 resource for information on my next car. Wish me luck tomorrow. I'll be looking for a Touring model with the moonroof, floor mats, and the home link rear view mirror. I'll let you know how it goes.
    "Anyone have a LINK for Avalon '05 discount parts?
    Seems all the sites I visit -- have the '04 Avalon and that is it.
    I'm interested in all weather front mats."

www.toyotapartsworld.com A dealer in Mass.

You will need to e-mail them with request for the 05 Avalon, the web page(s) aren't updated yet. I deal with Greg there.

I just got a quote for the all weather floor mats, both front and rear, for 69.00USD + shiping. I've bought a lot of oil & air filters from here in the past and they do nice work with good prices.

MikeS.
    " may be old fashioned and I'm definitely not rich but can someone explain why you need a $1900 NAV system? Can't you just use a map along with your natural sense of direction or am I just behind the times :) ?

Does the 05 have a timing belt or chain? "

1st ?) My wife has no sense of direction. I call her an Air-Head when it comes to that sense. I do 98% of the driving but with extended trips for medical care, 60 miles 1-way for Dr. visit, she needed something if I'm not available.

Also, it saved my bacon on 3/10 while on a trip for dinner in Baltimore. I used an online map, Google, but then made a wrong turn. Got turned around, had to pay 4 bucks in tolls. I pulled over and put the address into the NAV system. It got me right to the front door of the restaraunt. Saved my day.

2nd ?) Chain

MikeS.
    " did the XM Tuner installation today on my '05 Avalon Limited and it took about 1 hour. I mounted the XM antenna in the middle of the trunk, which is a much preferred location than the factory location, which is center of trunk on passenger side.
    I do have some tips and tricks for the installation. Send me an email if you want them."

Where did you get the tuner & antenna? What was the cost?

I've talked to a couple places that sell XM systems but neither knew about getting a "factory" unit.
  • pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    Bought Avalon Limited (Titanic Metallic) with NAV,VSC,Remote Start, Wheel Locks, Carpet/Trunk Mats. for $34,224; with tax $36,218. Based on what I've read in this forum, my price seems quite good.
  • pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    If you're using AAA--which I did--make sure you call the dealer first before assuming he/she will give you a price stated to AAA. Example, one dealer stated "500 over invoice." When I called, they said Avalons 2005 were sold only at MSRP. Other dealers, with one exception (Thompson Toyota in Doylestown, PA) gave me the same line. Again, call the dealer before assuming you will get a good price.