Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    That is true. Rahal Lexus is about 45 minutes away, and they take care of both of my cars which is great as neither my wife or I have to deal with it. The Jag's trips to the dealer is more than enough already.
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I saw all three (RL, GS, and M) at SF autoshow during Thanksgiving holidays. I can only tell you that GS and RL are about the same dimensions. M seems one size larger. Of course, you could only sit in the RL, not GS or M. No one got to sit in the latter two. Based on M's 4" longer wheelbase and short overhangs, I would bet that the interior of M would be significantly larger than the other two.

Yes, Lexus provides that sort of service that others don't for extra cost, of course. But, please check with your near by dealer. Not every Lexus dealer provides that. Some even provide service such as bringing fuel to your vehicles. I remember reading that news a couple years ago. Nice touch of luxury if you enjoy those.
  • Options
    I think it will be 340hp.
    I just got the Infiniti "teaser" brochure last week. It says "340hp" on it. For V6, it actually says "275+hp", not 280hp. However, we all know on Fuga 350GT in Japan, it generates 280hp (just like the one on G35 sedan). In Japan, news indicated a 350PS V8. Of course, you need to question what PS vs hp means? A safe bet is between 340hp to 350hp with very aggressive gearing in transmission (unlike the on on Q45).

Sports model comes with 4 wheels steering from GT-R's HICHAS. AWD also borrows a page from GT-R as well.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the new GS is quite a bit larger than RL, at least interior wise
  • Options
    disaacdisaac Member Posts: 15
    I suspect the same given the the current model GS is already bigger insider than the new RL.
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Even if Infiniti claims 335hp for the M45, it is mostly a marketing gimmick IMO, to keep the Q just a bit higher at 340 hp.
  • Options
    Yes, Infiniti sure wouldnt want to step on the Qs sales, all 7 of them.
  • Options
    gsedanmangsedanman Member Posts: 14
    I too think the new M will have 340hp (or more). More importantly Nissan upped the torque slightly to 340 ft lbs.
  • Options
    Luxusguy and dissac:
    As I said, I wasn't able to sit in the new GS nor the new M. However, there was a current GS on the floor right next to the new GS, which was on a spinning platform. To be honest, the new one didn't seem larger to me. Especially the rear end seemed to be more stylish and less chunky. Is there any published interior room data of the new GS?

Just read one auto mag claiming the GS would come with
    3.0L V6 - 245hp
    4.3L V8 - 295hp (5hp less than current model)
    I wonder why Lexus would reduce 5hp from the 4.3L. It does not seem reasonable to me.
  • Options
    All indications seem to be that the GS430 will carry the 4.3L engine over with the same 300hp and 325ft.lbs of torque.
  • Options
    In Japan, Nissan sold 7388 units of Fuga in Novemebr. That includes 250 and 350 as well (priced at 3.9-4.9mil yen, 1US$ = 101Yen recently)

That is more than Acura TL+TSX combined (5,800+1,200=~7,000 units) sold in US for the same month.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Double check the personalized letter that accompanied the "teaser" brochure- mine stated 280 ponies generated by the V6.

~alpha
  • Options
    cfgrosscfgross Member Posts: 54
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but does anyone know a target date for when new M will arrive in local showrooms?

Craig
  • Options
    The M should be arrive early in the new year. Some have speculated late February.
  • Options
    In Japanese news, it mentioned, "Spring 2005". That is the most reliable date. Others are rumors and speculation.
  • Options
    my local dealer told me late February as well..
  • Options
    I've been told April. It may depend on the area of the US
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    On another forum, a reliable dealer said the release date was February 28. Of course, that could change :)
  • Options
    jim20jim20 Member Posts: 10
    I have driven a 2005 GS430. It had plenty of leg room for me.
  • Options
    Jim,

The leg room in the '05 GS is ample (44+) but who knows about the '06?
  • Options
    theres no way the would cut legroom on the new car
  • Options
    cfgrosscfgross Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the info. I'll be in the market next summer to replace my 2003 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 which will be at the end of its lease. I've all but eliminated everything except another S-Type and the new M-45, which looks to me like it will be something special.

Craig
  • Options
    zinny1zinny1 Member Posts: 2
    people are not talking about this car when deciding which car to buy? I am torn between the new A6 and the M45!
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Well, for one thing, the new M45 isn't out yet.
  • Options
    lg,

my gut feeling is that you are correct given lexus' emphasis on luxury and comfort. i was just suggesting that there are still no available specs on the car.
  • Options
    For second thing, there is no AWD available on M45, at least initially... By the volume that Infiniti will sell M45 (at most 5000 units/year), they probably will never offer one. Too bad. For Audi, Quattro is their bread and butter.
  • Options
    Most people interested in the M35\45 I think are more interested in GS and RL. A6 I think appeals more to the E and 5 crowd. Different people. Personally, Im not even remotely interested in the A6. The fact that the six wont be turbo charged might help you get to know your maintanence guy on a last name basis rather than a FIRST name basis, (VW + turbo = TROUBLE) but the last car was SO BAD that there's just no way I'd get an A6 without waiting several years to see if they've improved quality at all. Judging from the A4 though, they havent.

Ceric, how many A6 4.2s were sold vs. 2.7Ts or 2.8\3.0s? I dont think RWD on the V8s from Lexus and Infiniti is necessarily a bad move. People buying the V8 want performance first and foremost, and A6 has always been one of the slowest in the V8 group thanks to AWD.
  • Options
    zinny1zinny1 Member Posts: 2
    comes in All Wheel Drive. Maybe I am just biased because I have narrowed it down between an A6 3.2 Quattro and the M35x, I guess I asked the question after someone was comparing the M45 to the Jaguar S type.

I am just suprised that the Audi is not more of an alternative to the m45. I guess Japan folks buy Japan and do not crossover to German. I have alsways owned German but and very interested in the options that this car has over the Audi.

Thanks.

Zinny
  • Options
    I am just suprised that the Audi is not more of an alternative to the m45. I guess Japan folks buy Japan and do not crossover to German. I have alsways owned German but and very interested in the options that this car has over the Audi.

In Japan, luxury car market is owned by German. 50% of luxury cars are purchased by corporations for executives. The brand power of German luxury cars are even more secured than in US. Japanese people still think German luxury cars are better than their own Toyota/Nissan/Honda. Note that since most German luxury cars are owned by corporate, reliability is much less an issue.

AFAIK.

Lexusguy, M45 would likely be a small portion of total M's sales (15%?). M45-AWD (if there will be one) would be even less (5%?). However, to me and maybe others, less choices is a bad thing. There are people who would vigorously argue with you on the benefits of having AWD other than going fast. Handling, and safety in bad weather, etc.
  • Options
    I'm a little surprised to read that the M45 will weigh in at 3995 lbs. It's a little more portly than I expected.

That and the front facia change has tempered my enthusiasm somewhat.

If they surprise me with a too high a price, as well as these other disappointments, I'm gonna look elsewhere. (or stay with my more sporty and performance oriented G-Coupe).

Disappointing to say the least.

Check out all the updated specs on Infinti's news site.
  • Options
    You could certainly argue that Lexus and Infiniti should offer AWD as an option, sure. But as you said, the cost of development for such small sales doesnt make too much sense.

Perhaps the Japanese have become as badge concious as we have? I wonder if the reason the Germans lead is because its a Mercedes or BMW vs. a Nissan Fuga, Honda Legend, or Toyota? Perhaps that will change as Lexus and probably Infiniti are launched later down the line at home.

Zinny, A rather large portion of the segment will offer AWD this time, thanks in a large part to the positive press of Quattro. However, and Im sorry Audi fans, but Quattro is old hat. Its an antiquated system that leads to very front heavy cars with bad understeer problems. SH-AWD (and most likely M35's ATTESA) are simply better.
  • Options
    skitzoskitzo Member Posts: 18
    Tons more pictures recently added @ http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/infiniti2006/infiniti_m.shtm- l

Does anyone know what the huge camera looking device facing out the windshield over the rear-view mirror is? (http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/infiniti2006/infiniti_m/800- /2006_Infiniti_M_18.jpg)
  • Options
    I believe that's the 'eye' for the smart cruise control.

I'm not sure if the lane departure device is tied into that eye too.

GSM
  • Options
    No, the cruise control is the front bumper/air intake area (you can see it, it's a small rectangular cutout on the driver's side)...

It's identical to my FX in that aspect, it seems (unless this thing in the windshield is somehow related?)

.. Hmm!
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Wow! Those photos are fantastic! I am absolutely salivating! How much more exciting the car appears to be in red with the black interior. The silver with tan interior looks absolutely sedate in comparison. I can hardly wait to drive one-red with black interior, hopefully.
  • Options
    I agree on the black interior, there is something about it that gives the car a wholly different look.. although I am personally partial to the graphite metallic exterior, though :)
  • Options
    You're probably right skitzo, I was guessing.

The eye I mentioned, tho, may have something to do with the lane departure system.

I have seen that rectangle in the front grill and wondered what it was.

Thanks for the help.

I love red, but is the Roulette too flashy for this ride? I don't want a colour that would put someone off at resale, but I do love red.

I had narrowed my choice down to Millennium Bronze, or Serengetti Sand, but now think they are very common, and maybe a little boring.

Opinions????
  • Options
    Black, white, and silver cars have the strongest residuals. Blue and green generally have poor residuals, except in a few certain instances (British racing green for example is a popular color for an XK8). Other colors I think fall in the middle.
  • Options
    It is the Lane Departure Warning system. It is using computer vision algorithms on optical images to track dividing lines.
  • Options
    I have a silver bimmer but the photos of the new M in red really excited me-very sexy and powerful! Upon looking a second time, I am not too happy seeing the Infinity name and logo on both front seats. What were they thinking? A touch of class, perhaps?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Infiniti has been doing that for quite awhile. It doesnt bother me at all. It looks better than the "L" logo on the back of both front seats on the SC430, which looks a bit goofy.
  • Options
    I have a Silverstone G-Coupe.....first non-red car in 20 yrs. but the more I see the Roulette M, the more I'm thinking of returning to red. It really is a powerful colour and a real knockout in the M.

The logo thing on the front seats seems to fall in line with what Infiniti is doing lately.

It does seem a little redundant and busy, but the same as my G-Coupe tho.

I see that the new M will be only 145 lbs. heavier than the '04 version.

That helps me somewhat, but I was expecting closer to 3600 lbs.

Guess I'm going to have to watch my own weight now, to make up some of the difference.[smile]

G.
  • Options
    These photos are absolutely inhumane. I cannot wait to drive one! Please, Infiniti: RELEASE THE NEW M!
  • Options
    The latest from infiniti news website which was updated today:

[quote]

Production versions of the powerful new 2006 Infiniti M performance luxury sedan, including the 4.5-liter V8 powered M45 and 3.5-liter V6-equipped M35, will highlight the Infiniti news conference at the 2005 North American International Auto Show in Detroit on January 10, 2005. The new Infiniti M, which goes on sale at Infiniti dealerships nationwide in early spring 2005, offers an exceptional balance of advanced technology, sensuous styling and athletic performance.

[/quote]
  • Options
    Sounds like April.
  • Options
    Could be April.....let's hope for March.
  • Options
    I am ready! I expect the new M to absolutely cream the new GS.
  • Options
    We'll see. It does seem like Infiniti REALLY wants to get this one right. If it turns out to be as good as G35, Infiniti will have pretty much an unbeatable 1-2 punch.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    I still don't like the "cow-catcher" front end, but it is toned down from the previous M.
  • Options
    I just talked to a friend in So-Cal who drove an M45 mule today (Wednesday). He says it's nimble and very snappy and that there will be a review in Car & Driver(?) soon. For what it's worth, someone estimated a 5.3 second 0-60, and about a 14 second quarter.

Not sure that makes sense because the '04 M does a 6.0 0-60. Like I said,"for what it's worth".

The next few months is really going to whet my appetite.

I hope the price isn't 'ionosphererical'. [smile]

GSM