Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Take the car on a test drive over rough surfaced roads and highway. With the later go for speeds in the 45-60 mph range. If you decide to purchase the car, see if they'll substitute another make for the Bridgestones. They seem to get flatspots and are not great IMO.

My main problem with the car is not purely mechanical but with Acura's lack of accountability if you should have some complaints.
  • Options
    mtlkmtlk Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an 05 w/Nav and the XM radio sounds terrible! It sounds like glorified AM radio. I don't understand. The CD player and FM sounds great. Anyone had this problem? Also, all four doors look like they were painted a very slight different color than the body. Anyone experienced this?
  • Options
    armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    Absolutely not. I have an '04 TL with 10K miles on it and have had no problems. I don't love the tires but don't have any vibration. To the best I can tell from this forum no one has had a tranny failure.

Myself and other I know love the car. CR again this year rated it as number 1 in its category. It is a great value. I do plan on replacing the tires sooner than I might have ordinarily because they don't have bad weather traction and ride a little hard - most performance tires do.
  • Options
    vin3vin3 Member Posts: 12
    This vibration is felt. You can also hear it but it is more like a shudder, sound and feel. Still feel the vibration with the 5.1 on.

vin3
  • Options
    dojadoja Member Posts: 19
    I agree the sound quality of XM is a big disappointment. The sound system is outstanding with regular CDs and especially DVD-Audio so it must be XM.

I have an 05 w/nav and have had absolutely no vibrations or shudders and no other problems. So far this has been an outstanding car.

I don't recall anyone with an 05 w/nav who has had a vibration problem. If there is someone they are in the distinct minority.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I've had my '04 for about 9 months. No problem other than a couple of squeaks and minor rattles. I still think it is a great value. If I were to buy now, the only thing I might do differently is to lease rather than buy.
  • Options
    charliewcharliew Member Posts: 14
    I just purchased my '05 auto w/o NAV a week ago, and so far it's perfect. My daily commute is 2 hrs round-trip, consisting of both city roads and highways. I know it's still early, but the car is tight and solid with no rattles, squeaks, or shudders on rough roads or going over railroad tracks. There are no vibrations of any kind in the steering wheel, floor board, or shifter at speeds 40-70mph. The leather quality and craftsmanship look and feel good to me, and I've had no quality issues with the interior or exterior thus far. I'm quite a finicky owner when it comes to material possessions, so I have a very low tolerance for workmanship flaws. I can say my TL has been a 10. Time will tell if my impressions will persist, but I have no reason to expect otherwise.

Don't let the owner complaints on this forum cloud your judgment. Yes, their issues are legitimate, but for each unhappy owner, there are many others who couldn't be more satisfied with their TLs. Those issues notwithstanding, the TL is still a highly-rated choice in quality and reliability. Try to get a broader view of the TL than just the scope of this forum.

My advice? Buy the '05. Good luck.
  • Options
    carpro1carpro1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a 2002 TL-S and having some strange probelms. While it is raining, I can feel the water (mist) hit on my face, hands, legs and even feet. It is like someone spit on you when they talk by accident. I had a arbitration coming next Monday, and am wondering if anyone has the same problem, also, if anyone knows where I can find the bulletin that can tell me if there'y windshield seal defects on 2002 TL? I tried alldata.com, but Acura/Honda block the website to prevent anyone from accessing any information regarding the repars and defects of Acura and Honda cars. Very low !!!!
    Please help !!!
  • Options
    jeffreylevinjeffreylevin Member Posts: 32
    First, I have 11k miles and love the car. Car has great value and feel on the road. The only issue I had was an initial computer failure which resulted in the windows becoming inoperable. Dealership diagnosed issue immediately and returned within a few days. Local dealership is very accommodating with each service. The Bridgestone tires are okay. No issue with driving in northern NJ. Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    dclkdclk Member Posts: 8
    Thanks to all that replied to my original question. I must say that I wasn't wowed like I thought I would be when I test drove the '05 TL a few months ago in Cali. And naturally, there is no way to compare the DVD-A to a JBL system-they're not close to being in the same league.

Guess the bottom line is that I still have some more research to do. And since I still have to buy my first home, that gets priority and the car will come later. Thanks again for the insight.

DClK
  • Options
    battrlbattrl Member Posts: 12
    If your XM sounds like "glorified AM" then I think a trip to the service department is in order. The XM on my '05 Navi sounds just fine.
  • Options
    tpacar79tpacar79 Member Posts: 23
    I just took delivery of my new 2005 Acura TL ASPEC w/navi in antrhicite grey... I am EXTREMELY happy with the handling...if you think handling is good in a standard TL I strongly advised to get the ASPEC pkg (prior to new car delievry to keep it under full 4/50 warranty) The car has little body roll compared to sliding everywhere in a standard TL. The 18 in rims and tires hug the road WITHOUT giving it up to a harsh ride and the sport suspension helps make this car compete better against its german rivals. Given the power, style and handling of the ASPEC I would put it up to a 5 series M anyday...I have pics if anyone is curious what to they look like and my advise is stay away from 2004 TL's, only consider 05's as you will see much of what is mentioned here has been addressed in the new model year. For those who think the TL is the best and want it to stand out and be a head turner, get the ASPEC pkg with chrome rims and back up sensors...if you can work your dealer hard as I did you can get the car for WELL under 40k.

The complete ASPEC kit comes with (MSRP is $6500)

*Lowered sport suspension with stiffer shocks offering better handling and a firmer ride
    *Brembo brakes/calipers which makes the 0-60 stopping distance down to 119 ft
    *sport steering wheel with matching electric blue stitching on leather to cordinate with lighting
    *the complete body kit (it looks sleek, sophisticated and hot, its not a chop shop look)
    *choice of wing or deckilid spoiler
    *18in gunmetal rims on low profile Yokohama tires
    *ASPEC badging

Back up sensors and chrome rims (identical to ASPEC just chrome) are additional options and make the car a head turner!

Here is a tip...buy it prior to new car delivery not only so you can get it ALL covered under the full factory warranty but so you can literally have the sales dept give it to you so they can get the deal done. In my case i got the complete ASPEC pkg as listed above, got the factory chrome rims in place of the already upgraded gunmetal and I also got the back up sensors and this all for a cost of just over $5k. Now I know some of you are thinking thats expensive but price out the rims, tires, body kit, suspension work and all the other features and bragging rights NOT to mention the warranty and you will see there is no way possible it can be beat. Black, Anthricite Grey, White and Silver look the best with this pkg although I am partial to the dark grey with chrome rims, it just pops and looks like the car was designed to sit like this and all other TLs are missing the true look...anyways its worth the dollar is its still cheaper than any GS, A6 of infiniti that is truely comparable.
  • Options
    purplembzpurplembz Member Posts: 1
    Try rolling the windows up when it's raining and see if the problem goes away.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    rough ride - take this car for a long test drive over less than perfect roads, it jiggles, vibrates and transmits imperfections in the road I wouldn't realize were there.
    visibility from drivers seat- again drive this for at least a few hours before you buy or lease, the high c pillars make rear and side visibility a real issue.
    seat comfort- the seat material is extremely firm, long rides take their toll, again drive this for a bit before you plunk down your hard earned cash.
    In my opinion these issues are inherent to the TL, changing the tires helped minimally in my case and I would not purchase this vehicle again.
  • Options
    Rough ride? Jiggles over road imperfections? Perhaps you just got a bad example as my '05 feels as solid as if it were carved from a single piece of stone.

Poor C-pillar visibility? Hmmm...I have no such issue.

Seat discomfort over long stints behind the wheel? My daily commute is over 2 hours roundtrip in traffic, but I feel just fine after each trip. Oh well, to each their own.
  • Options
    dave124dave124 Member Posts: 12
    I've been driving a Chevy S-10 5-Speed for the last 6 years and a Black and White Crown Vic for the past 4. I recently bought my lovely 05 TL Auto Trans. I seem to get a lot of lag when I put it in Drive from Reverse, and also from Reverse to Drive. The vehicle rolls over a foot if on a hill. Does anyone else notice this? It might be normal, but it has caused me to hit a few curbs when parking or leaving a hill I had to cramp my tires into. Other than that, I love the car.

One other thing. Cruise Control down a hill. I gain up to 10 miles an hour before the vehicle slows itself back down to my desired speed. This is a problem because of a speed trap I live in. I always set the cruise for the max speed of 40 MPH. The cops radar at the bottom of the hill. I'm always hitting 50 MPH by the time I reach them. NOT GOOD. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I find on mine too there is a bit of a lag, especially going from Reverse to Drive. I can see how, if you are on a steep enough incline, the car may roll a foot before the tranny catches. (I usually have my foot on the brake though, when I'm shifting).
  • Options
    tbone8tbone8 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering a TL purchase in the not too distant future. I presently drive a '97 ES 300 and have been thoroughly pleased with it. 147,000 miles and no major problems. I want something a bit more to the sporty side and therefore the TL caught my eye.

I have been reading this forum for a few months. The 2 things I've picked up are:
    1. don't buy an '04 TL
    2. Buy a car assembled in Japan

I have 2 questions:
    1. Are there any distinguishing features or characteristics that one can easily determine if the TL is an '04 or '05?
    2. How can one determine if the car was assembled in Japan? I heard a "J" would be the first letter in the VIN number - is this correct?
  • Options
    aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Question 1: Other than knowing it's an '04 vs '05, there are no distinguishing differences that can be seen. I've never been in a position where I didn't know the year of the car I was looking at though.

Question 2: I'm pretty sure ALL TLs sold in N. America are built in Ohio. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
  • Options
    I think the only discernible features would be different colour combos/choices.

I think aaargh is right about all TL built in N. America.
  • Options
    Actually, there is a minor visual difference between the '04 and the '05. The Acura logo on the '04 steering wheel is a solid cap, meaning you can't see through it. The '05 logo is a cut-out, which allows you to see the steering wheel underneath the logo. Think of the '04 logo as a coin; while the '05 logo is a stencil. This is in keeping with the RL. I think the new change looks better and more upscale.

I'm quite sure all TLs sold in NA are assembled in Ohio as well. Does someone know different?
  • Options
    tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    If you have been driving an ES 300 and like the way the car rides and it’s quiet nature you should be careful about purchasing an Acura TL.

The TL is much sportier and is somewhat noisier but the real difference is in the ride. The TL has a much harsher ride that can be very annoying after a while: particularly if you are on rough roads. You not only get the rough ride but you also hear rattles and creaking sounds.

In addition, the quality of the TL is not what it once was. My 04 tl has 10k and the seats and tires look all worn out.

Test drive the TL and take it for a long ride.
  • Options
    firstfazfirstfaz Member Posts: 4
    never got any responses - anyone out there have any information
  • Options
    tbone8tbone8 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned sportier type vehicles in the past, this one inherited from my wife when we purchased an SUV for my wife. I don't mind the ride trade-off for the handling. I will definitely heed the advice given, and it is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I drove the ES 330 and the TL and didn't see much difference in the noise levels of the two cars. The TL seemed very solid although the ride is firm and not cushiony soft like the ES. The ES 330 ride also seemed a bit "floaty" which is what I find tiring over time as opposed to the firm ride of the TL. Additionally, the TL seemed less bland than the ES 330 which seemed somehow to anaesthetize the riding experience somewhat. The same could be said of the new Avalon which reminds me of the ES 330 although the ride is rather less cushioned and floaty but the blandness factor is still high.
  • Options
    I too find the TL very quiet in terms of wind noise. But I think the ES probably has less road and tire noise.
  • Options
    smithdrgssmithdrgs Member Posts: 22
    some have said the vibration is fixed in the '05. Some have said its fixed d/t the change in shift point. If that's true, what about the one poster who said he had an Acura rep claim it was the torque converter locking up. the messeges here don't add up. did this escape everyone else?
  • Options
    smithdrgssmithdrgs Member Posts: 22
    Congrats on the a spec mr. tpacar. I read alot of forums and i couldn't resist this one. almost 40 grand for a TL? i know i can get a nicely loaded 2005 330i for that, even a 330xi; or how bout a S60 R? Or anything to get a non FWD car. $4,000 more is not much more(10%). I'll go for the more expensive shoes, rather that save 10% on less comfortable/function shoes. to each his own; but what floors me is that after all your complaints, you went back to acura. please don't bother coming back here to whine about some squeek you have when turn on your wipers on. guess things weren't all that bad after all. well you sure have lost credibility.
  • Options
    hwolfhwolf Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 TL. The dealer already replaced all four tires. I believe that the Bridgestone tires used on the 2004 TL had either a manufacturing or design flaw that caused the tires to be out round.

Acura was aware of that problem. They had 3 choices:
    1)Replace all the Bridgestone tires with something else
    2)Test the tires to make sure they were OK
    3)Pass on the problem to the consumer

They chose number 3 which is to pass on the problem to the consumer and let them test it.

I am very unhappy with the 2004 TL and have expressed it to Acura.

This is our 3rd (and last) Acura TL. A once great car is no longer.

Henry
  • Options
    I'm not sure the Bridgestones are the culprit. I was stopped at a traffic light today, and I just happened to look over at an Altima in the next lane, and lo and behold, it's shod with the same Bridgestone EL42! Now I don't recall reading about any vibration issue on the Altima.
  • Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    This is from CR's 2005 annual reliability survey:

Reliability survey

Asian automakers continue to lead the industry in reliability, according to a Consumer Reports survey of 810,000 passenger vehicle owners in the U.S.

Top five

Brand Parent company Problems per 100 vehicles
    Model year

2004 2003

Subaru Fuji 8 17

Honda Honda 9 10

Acura Honda 10 13

Toyota Toyota 10 11

Lexus Toyota 11 9

Bottom five

Nissan Nissan 19 14
    BMW BMW 21 19

Volkswagen Volkswagen 23 19

Mercedes-Benz DaimlerChrysler 25 22

Lincoln Ford 26 31

Source: Consumers Union
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    All the other cars that compete with the TL have some type of issue. Lexus doesn't make a car that competes directly with the TL. i.e. FWD sports sedan.

So Toyota doesn't count here.
  • Options
    cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    In the next two weeks I will pick up my new 05 TL.
    It is a 5 speed auto. I have read so much about tires that I am now concerned. I was thinking of asking the dealer to swap out the Bridgestones Turanza tires with the Michelin. I have had the Michelin tires on several previous vehicles with no problem. For that matter I have had Bridgestone tires on our SUV without a problem. I am confused and need a little help from someone with experience in this area as it relates to the TL. Thanks!
  • Options
    If you want good advice listen closely….

Test-drive the car extensively.

The new 2004 -05 Acura TL is not what it once was. My 2004 was and still is plagued with small annoying problems like:

Poor Tires
    Defective leather seats
    Defective Seat memory
    Badly designed Transmission (2nd gear and oil pump)
    Anti freeze smell coming from the heater
    Sagging Headliner..which I had to fight to have replaced (when was the last time you saw a new car with a sagging headliner?)

Harmonic vibration in drive train (major problem and I’m not sure if its fixed)

Creaks and rattles throughout the cabin
    Rattles from glove box (had to buy foam inserts to stop the rattles)

Constant lies and deceitful conduct from Acura salesman and service representatives

If you have problems, do not expect help from the Acura Company. My case manager only returned one of my calls. The others he just ignored.

In contrast, my sister had a problem with her VW and her case manager gave my sister his cell phone number and could be reached at any time. The VW problems were resolved.

The VW case manager told my sister that if they could not correct the problem they would put in a new car. Do not expect that from Acura!

Acura would not even talk to me. I had to hire a lawyer to get their attention and my case is still in the courts.

You asked for advice…do not buy an Acura get a
    G-35 ...it's a better product.

PS: MY neighbor has a stick shift 2004 Acura TL and he has had problems with his brakes. Acura said they were NORMAL!....
  • Options
    My wife 04 TL has had tire and other problems. I wrote to Acura and depending on their response I'll follow up with the Arbitration Board.

In what state are you filing Lemon Law? In Florida there is some requirements that need to be met in order to file.
  • Options
    aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Tedescm1's experience while poor, is NOT typical. Take that into consideration.
  • Options
    ckk1ckk1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 05 with 5000 miles on it. After about 1500 miles we started to hear a high whining noise in the engine between 30-50 MPH. It is directly effected by the gas pedal. As you give it more gas, the noise gets louder and higher and as you let off the gas it goes down. Acura changed our transmition after only 3000 miles. This concerned me. Now with a new transmition the noise is back after about 1500 miles on this one. Anyone else running into this problem? It gets very annoying when you turn the radio down to take on the phone. All I hear is this whining noise!!

Also we have had rattles in the cabin. I found one of them yesterday. It is coming from the sun roof. The wind deflector that pops up when the sunroof is open is vibrating around while the sunroof is closed. Hopefully they can fix that.
  • Options
    I’m filing in PA.

In PA you need to take the car back to the dealer three times for each problem. In my case, I’ve had it back 4 times for vibrations, four times for a falling headliner (before they decided to replace it) and six times for rattles. Also other problems that i have alredy listed.

I spoke to several lawyers about the Acura BBB arbitration-hearing venue and they all said it was a joke. You can take that for what its worth. I figured since Acura had done nothing to help me and they finance the BBB process there was not much point in going in that direction. I was also advised (by my lawyer) that if you go through the Acura BBB process and lose, and then deicide to use the lemon law your BBB loss can be used against you in court.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Lemon law won't help you with the rattles and headliner since they are considered fit and finish issues.

You also have to take what the lawyers said with a grain of salt because it would be to their benefit for you to file a suit rather than use BBB. My own experience (albeit only one time) with BBB arbitration was that it was very efficient and very very cost effective.

Good luck with your case.
  • Options
    There may be more than one vibration type being referenced to. The one I am referring to is the one caused by defects (tire out of round) in the Bridgetone/Firestone tires that came with the 2004 TL.

From information I gathered speaking with Salesmen and Service Advisor a large number of customer had problems with the 2004 TL tires. From the numbers I got I am guessing that 10% of the TL sold had tire problems.

Acura was aware of the problem and it should have either replaced the suspect tires or figure out a way of testing it so that it did not end up with the customer. Instead, the chose to pass the problem onto the customer and let him/her handle it, which is wrong.
  • Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    "Acura changed our transmition after only 3000 miles."

What's your old 05's tranny isssue that Acura'd not fix and had to replace the whole tranny?
  • Options
    Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't tires covered by a separate manufacturer's warranty -- in this case -- Bridgestone/Firestone? Every new car I've ever purchased has had a separate warranty booklet for the tires. My understanding is that tire defects aren't covered by the vehicle manufacturer's factory warranty.
  • Options
    The key fob remote for my 10-month-old TL looks like it is about 3 1/2 years old!
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Why does your remote fob look old? Not wearing well (like mine) or old looking design?
  • Options
    It's not wearing well at all. I think the old black plastic ones were more durable.
  • Options
    yrtl05yrtl05 Member Posts: 4
    I believe all 05 TL auto comes equipped with Michelin (mine did) and I'm very happy with them. No vibration problem and they are surprisingly stickier than I thought. Double check with your dealer if you're really that concerned.
  • Options
    jlg3jlg3 Member Posts: 3
    TL auto/Nav == Michelin
    TL auto/non-Nav == Bridgestone

• Options
    mine too!
  • Options
    The tires are covered under a different warranty.
    However, that does not entitle Acura to use tires that have a known problem.

I gathered from speaking with different people in the business that a very large percentage of '04 TL buyers had problems with the Bridgestone/Firestorne tires used in the '04 TL.

Acura was aware of the problem and should have replaced the tires or test them. They didn't. Instead, the continued using the tires with a known problem and had the customer test the tires for them which is not right and possibly unlawful.