Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Options
    tnt67tnt67 Member Posts: 30
    Just might end up looking like this...... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2200583/1
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Your a dork. It would be a leveling kit you speak of, 1inch spacer infront coil maybe? What the hell size tire do you think they come with? 28, 29
  • Options
    msibillemsibille Member Posts: 275
    Hey, now- there's no call for that.
    Why insult someone here, much less start your message with something that indicates a less than perfect command of the English language?
    (I believe that you intended to write, "You're a dork." or "You are a dork." Unless, of course, you were alluding to his/her ownership of a dork -which seems odd, but possible, I suppose.)

However, none of that has anything to do with the subject of this discussion, even if it were true.

Let's play nicely.
  • Options
    skimtbcaskimtbca Member Posts: 3
    The '06 4Runners do have LED for the brake lights (new this year); not sure if the housing is the same (or will fit Tacomas...)
  • Options
    boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    Well if the '06 4Runners have LED taillights standard. I'd be willing to bet that the '07 Tacomas will have them as well. The bloodlines are so close and it seems that 4Runner has been the guinea pig for the Tacoma so far. I'd wait for those rather than trying to fit the 4Runner lights on there. They look similar but they are not the same.
  • Options
    pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I think this is what you're looking for. Doesn't look too bad IMO. I got this pic off of http://www.ToytecLifts.com . Click on the small pics at the bottom of their photo section.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This one looks like it might be a 2.5" lift. Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I plan on adding a 3" Toytec lift, sometime soon. Good stuff. :)
  • Options
    len888len888 Member Posts: 112
    Profanity is a weak mind trying to assert itself on others. You seem knowledgable so aim for respect w/o profanity. I'm retired Special Forces and keep communications to meaningful words. Try it out.
  • Options
    biedambiedam Member Posts: 1
    I have similar noise which I thought was the door/seat belt but I found it to be the top, black, plastic portion of the door (the part with the speaker but against the door gasket) which rattles/squeaks when the truck if moving. Anything like that?
  • Options
    ujbrakrujbrakr Member Posts: 10
    Leveling kit is it? That makes sense. They said stabilizing. My bad, 33inch tires. It looks really good. I was surprised that these little changes made such a big difference. I didn't get a chance to ask if they rub at all. Anybody experience 33's on their new Taco yet? Hey, stay in school buddy.
  • Options
    bro45usbro45us Member Posts: 36
    now now boys there is no sense in being gay as a picnic in the park about the lift kit. The best kits are ones made in the back garage on the lathe and mill..or the diy projects if you will. I prefer to manufacture my own suspension and shocks. Aluminum billet or high strength alloy seem to be the best for weight to strength ratio and a combination of spring tensile coupled with the proper valving will ensure awesome performance.
  • Options
    Sounds just like a Toytec 3" lift. For $220 I'll just buy one.
    Alcan leaf springs in the rear and 6061 aluminum spring spacers in front.
  • Options
    volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    Check out this thread over on TTORA
    Thule has a roof rack as well as an adapter to use the Xsportster with the track system.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=253235#post253235
  • Options
    I have 33s on mine and I had to do a little trimming. I also took the front mud flaps off. I still get some minor rubbing when in reverse with the wheel turned to full lock.

I had stock tires/wheels for a while and it really didn't look bad at all.

If you look over on the Toytec Lifts site that was posted earlier. That is my silver 05 at the top of the page.
  • Options
    Does the sound decrease any after the computer has been reset and it gets "broken in"?
  • Options
    tnt67tnt67 Member Posts: 30
    I had 285's on 9" wide 17's and the rubbing was pretty excessive. I opted to leave the mud flaps in place and go down to 265's and they work pretty good. With all the posts about paint chipping on these, I think the mud flaps are a pretty good idea.
  • Options
    blackmambablackmamba Member Posts: 31
    Thats hard to say. I started adding acoustic foam within a day of installing the kit. I do not think the computer adjusting will change the sound much. I strongly recommend to all that are interested in the K&N kit is to get insullation foam from home depot or some other type of sound deadening foam and have it ready....or get a pair of ear plugs! I love the concept of the k&n intake but the sound in really a problem....anyone who says otherwise would also like to drive a car/truck with a loud exhaust thus defeating the beauty of the quiet operation if the tacoma.
  • Options
    Might be the 9" wheels not sure. I have 16x8 wheels and the rub isn't too bad. Like I said only when in reverse and the wheel turned hard. Now I don't hard core off road (like a lot of rocks or anything) and if I did I would probably stick with 265s so eliminate any potential rub under flex.
  • Options
    ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I followed it pretty much from the start. I find it hard to spend 20K on something sight unseen. If it is true, someone got a decent deal. The guy that got it only had a 2 rating. Deal will likely fall through.
  • Options
    jadamjrjadamjr Member Posts: 28
    pb2themax

the truck on the top with the Eagles plate is mine. It has the 3" basic toytec lift kit on it. I got the diff drop free from toytec because I was their test dummy since I was the first 05 double cab to buy a kit. The basic ki only cost's sround $165.00, but that does not include the diff drop.

jadamjr
  • Options
    Cool two members here are pictured on their website! :shades: Mine is the one at the top on their photos page.

I purchased the Pro Basic kit and I believe it was like $220.
  • Options
    bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    I was wondering if any of you have experienced any problems with gas mileage with the installation of the k&n air filter, because I was getting 18.5+ mpg in city with my taco, and with the K&n filter it dropped to under 17 mpg, so i took it out and installed a regular air filter and will measure mileage again at fillup, please post any problems, thanks.
  • Options
    Yes I did notice a drop in gas mileage. I have gone through 3 tanks and have dropped about 1.5 mpg on average. It makes since that with more air the engine will need more gas, but it is not measuring up to the claims. I cannot tell if power has increased. I am strongly considering replacing the stock intake and modifying the cotton mesch by the air filter to improve air flow. Just some thoughts...
  • Options
    mtnman2mtnman2 Member Posts: 12
    Prior to picking up my 06 Tacoma, the dealer applied one of their name decals to the tailgate of my truck. What is the best way for me to remove this eyesore without damaging the paint? Thanks.

BTW: The decal is not a badge, like the Tacoma badge, but rather a black sticker.
  • Options
    jadamjrjadamjr Member Posts: 28
    Use a blow dryer to heat up the sticker and then use your finger nails to scratch one of the corners up. You should be able to pull the sticker right off. I took off my dealer sticker the same way with no problems. You can use wd-40 to remove any sticker residue.
  • Options
    Yeah, use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften up the sticker.

If there is some super sticky stuff left behind WD-40 might not be strong enough. In this case you can use Goo Gone. But DONT use Goof Off. They are not the same thing. Goof Off can damage your paint. Goo Gone is pretty gentle.

And don't rub real hard when you are removing the sticky. It can cause a haze or micro-scratches on todays' softer non-lead based paints.
  • Options
    thrilzthrilz Member Posts: 1
    Slide a piece of fish line behind one corner, work the line back and forth behind the sticker to the other side. This will take care of the sticker, then use lighter fluid with a old towel to remove the glue. You shouldn't have to use your nail or anything else to remove the adhesive. Re-buff and your good to go!
  • Options
    aztechianaztechian Member Posts: 31
    I haven't noticed much, if any drop in mileage. It has continually risen (slowly) since I bought it in May. Added the K&N in october and now just under 20mpg. '05 DC Longbed Sport in California.

Did you unplug the ECU and reset it? If so, your drop may be attributed to the "re-learning" of the computer... it may come back up.
  • Options
    ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    The best way to remove it is to take the truck back to the dealer and kindly ask them to remove it or refund your money. I would not leave the lot with one on my new vehicle. I have not seen dealers stick these on vehicles for years now. Up here in the Pacific NW they put license plate frames on and the state requires you to pick up your plates at the dealer, so naturally most people just go ahead and have the dealer install the plates and leave the frame on. I would like to know how the dealers managed to make it a state law that you need to get your plates from the dealer. Every other state I have lived in just mailed the plates straight to me.
  • Options
    bro45usbro45us Member Posts: 36
    yes pb2themax but you left out the personal preferance aspect of it all. When you build a suspension your self you also can "tune" it your self and that is a very important aspect of offroad handling.When buying a factory "KIT" you are limited to "tunability" but when you build it your self then you learn how to circumvent the factory limitations and engineering patents and truly "let it fly" yeeeeeeeeeehhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • Options
    dockeendockeen Member Posts: 68
    Having noted a number of people discussing removing decals/labels and such, I will ask what is probably a stupid question.

What are y'all aiming for?

Cleaner look? Don't want to advertize?

Forgive my naive curiosity...

Wayne
  • Options
    I won't let the Stealership touch my paint. I'd rather remove the decal myself, so I know it will be done right, and without scratching the paint.

Debadging a vehicle makes it look a lot cleaner, and custom. Plus it's a lot easier to wash and wax a vehicle that doesn't have lots of emblems to work around. Check my CarDomain to see if you like the debadged look.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238
  • Options
    slabanumslabanum Member Posts: 18
    I am 5' 8.5" and I am still uneasy with my seating position on my 05 DC Tacoma with TRD OR #2. It is just like what the road test mentioned, no matter how you adjust it it never feels natural. Tried the steering wheel, the seats, the lumbar support... and still uncomfortable.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I think you might be right. I did unplug the battery during the installation. Prior to that the gas mileage was progressively getting better with almost every tank. If that is the computers learning curve, and if I reset that, then there is a chance that it might get better.
  • Options
    What do you mean by "natural"?

I am about the same height as you 5'11". I also have a manual tranny. The clutch travels so far that I need to have the seat up a little further than I would like but I need to be able to extend my leg to put the clutch to the floor. I have also found that my seat back is a little more upright than I'm used to. The seat does sit you a little low if you are leaned back too far. By no means am I completely upright but I'd say my seat is at a 110 degrees rather than maybe the 125 I had it at in my BMW. After a few days it becomes normal.
  • Options
    The Air/Fuel map in the ECU takes some time to calculate and tune. If you go out right after installation and push her hard the A/F stored in the datalogger is going to be very rich. If you normally drive like you're in video game you will get some serious performance. If you don't plan on driving like that all the time your MPG will suffer and you will actually cancel out any performance gains by the system running rich and correcting itself over time. My suggestion is that although you want to see instant results you are better off driving the way you normally would for a few tanks. You'll see the performance and your gas mileage will thank you.
  • Options
    longboarder76longboarder76 Member Posts: 1
    All -

Has anyone experienced a humming & vibration in the windshield of their 2005 Toyota Tacomas? My Tacoma was manufactured in 08/05 and purchased in 09/05 in California. At speeds greater than 70mph I hear a humming & vibration in the windshield.

I have taken it to the dealer TWICE already -- first time they couldn't recreate the issue, second time they re-sealed the windshield.

The problem still exists. When I contacted the dealer a 3rd time, they said it's a known problem with 2005 Tacomas, and that they are fixing 2-4 Tacomas/week with the same problem!!! Toyota is instructing them to re-seal the windshield to solve the issue.

I now have to go back a 3rd time to the dealer for service -- I am going to insist on having a new windshield installed. If that doesn't work, I think I'll have to Lemon Law the truck.

Has anyone had or heard of the same problem? If one dealership is fixing 2-4 Tacomas/week at Toyota's instruction, this must be a larger problem. Makes me think it's a structural design flaw in the re-designed model.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    rulfforulffo Member Posts: 2
    I have the 4X2 Sport model I'm trying to fit 18 " wheels
  • Options
    yrffejyrffej Member Posts: 47
    the xrunners use 18" low profiles, should be identical fit rims. but i have no idea why you'd want to......
  • Options
    I have an 05 prerunner sport and just put 20's on the wheels. Looks great! No rubbing at all. Went to discount tire and they hooked me up with wheels that fit the tacoma and would refund them if I was unsatisfied. I love them...will post pics when I get them.
  • Options
    Well basically without a lift or any trimming you need a tire that's a shade under 32". It looks like your best bet would be a 265/60/18 (30.6"). That would also be the widest tire you could fit on a stock suspension without rubbing. They don't make a 265/65/18 and the 265/70/18 would be too big.
  • Options
    ahaenssenahaenssen Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone give me an url where I can buy seat covers for my 2006 Tacoma?
    Thanks
    Axel
  • Options
    yrffejyrffej Member Posts: 47
    i haven't bought them, but here it is....http://www.toyotapartspeople.com/SearchProduct.asp?Model=Tacoma&catid=3312- 60967979308&year=05&productdesc=Seat+Covers
  • Options
    steveh427steveh427 Member Posts: 25
    When my 2005 DC was delivered it had a hairline crack in the front windshield. The dealership had a mobile window guy come to my house to replace the front windshield. When he removed the factory windshield, we noticed that there was an inch gap in the factory seal just above the steering wheel. The guy said that it would have caused water leakage and possible wind noise. I've never had any problems with the new windshield.
  • Options
    autobahntacoautobahntaco Member Posts: 9
    was it made on a friday?
  • Options
    paratrooper82paratrooper82 Member Posts: 41
    I just installed the TRD exhaust I ordered through Claremont Toyota (I got a pretty good deal), and there's a strange chemical smell (not a normal exhaust smell, and not a rotten egg smell from the cats) coming from it after running the engine. I'm assuming that its just breaking in. Also, does the exhaust get louder after breaking it in? I seems fairly tame and not too loud, but it is only a day old now. Thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    The smell is probably normal as it is common to get a smell right after install. Give it a couple days and if the smell does not start to go away, sheck to make sure there are not leaks anywhere. And yes it should beef up a little in sound as it breaks in (this could sometimes take up to a month to fully break in).
  • Options
    demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    I installed mine 2 months ago. The smell is normal. The exhaust won't get louder.

I think the sound got much better after a few weeks. At first was slightly disapppointed. But the metal just needed several hot/cold expansion/contraction cycles, to break in.

When first put on, while much louder, it seemed to resonate too much and while bassy, had a little low riceiness. Over time, any riceiness is gone, and she has a slight rumble cruising on the highway now (esp around 2K rpm). When you drop the hammer, the sound is great, not a small v-8, not a 350Z (performance v-6), something in between. Had friends with v-8 trucks and even new Camaro impressed with the v-6 sound.

IMHO I think the TRD is the perfect match to the truck. Sounds good, looks grood, but not overbearing in the cab. Only the $ 400+ price its downfall. But all cat backs are pricey...
  • Options
    alkanxalkanx Member Posts: 69
    Hi all, I just purchased an 06 Tacoma V6, fit & finish seems better than the Ford F-150 I replaced. So far only 500 miles. I am hoping most of us are pleased with the reliability.

AL.
  • Options
    gandalf1gandalf1 Member Posts: 62
    It only took 2 1/2 months to get here, but I finally picked up my 2006 Indigo Ink Pearl DC 4x4 w/Off Road and Tow packages yesterday. It also has the bed extender and carpeted floor mats. I'm pleased with the truck, however the floor mats do look like something you might pick up at K-mart. I plan on buying some good, rubber mats asap.

The truck ended up costing me $2200 under MSRP, and about $600 less than the TMV. Not bad I guess, and and I might have gotten a little better deal by whining more, but I try and keep my dignity (such as it is..).

As expected, the ride is firm with the Off Road package but not at all harsh in my (& wifes) opinion.

I respectfully declined any of the special deals offered by the dealership - like the annual car-care detailing for $700 (or maybe $800) for 5 years.