Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    My sentiments exactly. As they say, great minds think alike.
  • Options
    frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    I have my crystal ball right here, the fog is clearing, ah, I see it now ...

First year reliability for Fusion will be "less than average"

Write it down and call me in a year.

Alright, next topic.
  • Options
    herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    I'm really getting excited now, after reading these reviews. Reeeally excited. I keep driving by the Hyundai dealership, ready to get a test drive the second one comes in. If this car handles as well as they say, I'm in for one. Oh baby.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Fusion the same size as the Santa Fe? You are saying the Fusion will be an EPA class "large" car then? Won't that steal sales away from the Five Hundred?

Since none of us knows just how big the next Elantra will be (and note Hyundai no longer has a car in the mid-sized class), why don't we wait and see? The current Elantra's interior room is already very close to mid-sized.
  • Options
    RE: Since none of us knows just how big the next Elantra will be (and note Hyundai no longer has a car in the mid-sized class), why don't we wait and see?

Well, I don't see another option. Someone here made a comparison between the Fusion and Elantra which struck me as a bit off base. The new Elantra remains under such a heavy shroud of secrecy that any speculation about its size is just that - speculation. And I have no idea how the Santa Fe has worked its way into this conversation.

If you look at exterior measurements, the current Mazda 6 is 2.1 inches "shorter" than the new Sonata. Wheelbases and other exterior dimensions aren't much different either. Taking into account Ford's statement that the Fusion will be slightly larger [than the 6] exterior dimension-wise, these two (Sonata/Fusion) are going to be really close. So kudos to Hyundai for carving out a lot of interior room in the new Sonata. That's what tips it just barely into the EPA large car classification. In my eyes though, if it displaces the same amount of garage area, it's the same size.
  • Options
    z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    > but no way in heck am I giving up the clutch or the sunroof. Life's too short for that.

And I'm too tall for that. :-)

My biggest disappointment (one of the few) with the new Sonata is that the only way to get a power driver's seat on a GLS or GLS V6 is to order a package with a sunroof, which will reduce headroom by at least an inch and a half.
  • Options
    frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    Fusion is based on the Mazda 6 platform, only a little bigger.

So let's sum this up, biggest on left, smallest on right.

Five Hundred > Sonata > Fusion > Elantra
    Expedition > Explorer > current Santa Fe > Escape > Tuson
  • Options
    spinzerospinzero Member Posts: 91
    VW has had its problems, because VW can't produce reliable cars in any of their plants, anyplace in the world.

Amen to that. You don't call failing coil packs, oil sludge, and plastic window regulators lazy Mexicans. You call them bad engineering. I'm happy that some of the owners are having good experiences with VW, but it's the statistics that tells the true story, not isolated anecdotes. I would really like to like VW, but they just wouldn't let me.
  • Options
    Not quite. Ford has just released the ordering guide for the MY2006 Fusion (a guy has a link to it over on the Fusion board if you doubt my veracity) and it includes preliminary dimensions:

Fusion
    length - 190.2"
    wheelbase - 107.4"

Sonata NF
    length - 188.9"
    wheelbase - 107.4"

So, technically it's
    500 > Fusion > Sonata NF > Elantra
    sundry SUVs > who cares
  • Options
    The Santa Fe snuck into the discussion because I have had little sleep for the past week and typed Santa Fe instead of Sonata (was thinking about another discussion). Sorry 'bout that.
  • Options
    I got up close and personal to two 2006 Sonatas today at a dealership in downtown Seoul. They had only four cars on their small showfloor, and half of them were Sonatas: a white/tan 2.0 and a silver/black 2.4, both with leather. I did not ask to drive the car because there is zero chance I would by the car from this dealer in Korea, plus the thought of driving a brand-new car in downtown Seoul did not appeal to me.

My impressions:

* I like the tan (really buff color) interior better than the black. The tan one has a two-tone dash treatment and feels much more airy than the black monotone interior. However, I can see that the very light tan carpet would be tough to keep clean. The tan interior has woodgrain accents that IMO look richer than the black interior. The black interior is trying too hard to be sporty I think, with a rather cheap looking silver-colored accent strip bisecting the dash and red stitching on the seats and door panels. It looked out of place on this otherwise buttoned-down sedan.
    * The leather felt very thick and durable, but is non-perforated. I like the comfort of perforated leather like on my Elantra.
    * Driver's seat position and comfort was fine. The seats are firm in typical Hyundai (and Porsche and Volvo...) fashion. Rear seat leg room, with the driver's seat adjusted for my 5'9.5" frame, was extremely generous. I stretched out my legs as far as I wanted and still they did not touch the front seat. Toe room is good under the front seat also. The rear seat was very comfortable in the outboard positions, but I doubt the middle position is very comfortable for adults with a center armrest for a seatback and a large, squared-off hump. Rear headroom was just enough for me, with about 1.5-2" to spare.
    * There is a rear sunshade, but no rear reading lamps.
    * The interior uses materials that to me look on a par with what is in the Camry and Accord. All the major surfaces are soft-touch, with hard plastic used on side panels and the lower dash. However, this is a common practice with many cars today even using hard plastic on the upper dash, so this bit of cost-cutting is not worrisome to me.
    * The gauges and controls are quite handsome, especially the silver gauges. I prefer white-on-black gauges myself, but these do look upscale. The car had automatic climate control
    * Some niceties include an adjustable dual-level center armrest (slides fore-and-aft) and damped doors and handles all over.
    * The trunk has two large gas struts propping the lid and is nicely finished and roomy, with a split-fold-down rear seat.
    * Fit and finish looked excellent, with one exception (later). Gaps are narrow and even, and the doors close with a bank-vault-like thunk.
    * The paint is glossy and even but suffers from a small case of orange peel, which was more noticeable on the white car than the silver one. It's notable to me because my '01 Elantra has nary a trace of orange peel. Maybe they need to work more on the painting process.
    * Tires were Hankook 17 inchers on the 2.4 and Kumho 16 inchers on the 2.0. (I guess having Michelin tires is not as big a deal for Koreans as Hyundai thinks it is for Americans.)

I found it interesting that the Sonata costs more in its home country than it does in the U.S. The price of the 2.4 with leather was about 25,500,000 won--or roughly $25,000. That's more than the V6 with leather will list for in the U.S. The 2.0 model with leather was over 21,000,000 won.

Overall I think this is one impressive car based on appearances, touch, and feel, and I look forward to driving one as soon as they arrive at my local dealership.
  • Options
    I found it interesting that the Sonata costs more in its home country than it does in the U.S. The price of the 2.4 with leather was about 25,500,000 won--or roughly $25,000. That's more than the V6 with leather will list for in the U.S. The 2.0 model with leather was over 21,000,000 won.

That is in fact what pisses off a lot of Koreans. But it's really not Hyundai's fault, since it's really due to the heavy tax on cars. Compared to the ridiculous price on other imported cars (japanese, german) in Korea, still domestics are much cheaper.

Korean government is quite clear that it doesn't encourage people from buying cars. Now of course anyone that's been in Seoul would reallize that it doesn't really stop people from buying cars..
  • Options
    mononeomononeo Member Posts: 89
    It would not surprise me if the next Kia Optima, which will be based on the Sonata, will have a manual available with its V6 image seeing as how Hyundai-Kia are trying to be the poor man's Mercedes & BMW, respectively.

Also, the next Elantra will be substantially larger than the current model. With the new Accent almost as large as the current Elantra, it only makes sense it would grow. I expect the next Elantra to be dead on in size to the current (old) Sonata/Optima, with the Optima being half way between the Elantra and Sonata.

Like this:
    Left is bigger:
    Azera > Amanti > Sonata > Optima > Elantra > Spectra > Rio / Accent

Also, people keep saying the Tucson is smaller than a Santa Fe. I believe in Car and Driver it says it has two cubic feet more interior space. They are pretty much the same size, the Tucson is just packaged better for things like parking.

Expect the next Kia Optima to be downright sporty if you consider that the initial reviews of the Sonata say it is somewhat sporty itself, and that recent review of Kia models put them ahead of Hyundais in driving appeal. The Kia Sportage is substantially sportier than the Hyundai Tucson, read any reviews from a magazine that has driven both and you'll see they agree with me. I've driven both, but decided not to get one b/c the trip computer kept saying it was getting 11 MPG...egh, maybe it was the 20" rims the one I was looking at had. Anyway, those of you not into the Sonata for it being, even debatably, a little Buick-like should hold out for the Kia Optima. And yes, I realize that although Hyundai is not a prestigious brand, it is not as stigmatic as Kia, but I think things like that will change with their new models.
  • Options
    carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    was there a full-size spare tire or donut?
  • Options
    What you said about Kia-Huyndai differentiation makes a lot of sense. I'm pretty sure that's where they are heading to as well. The fact that Kia hired an ex-Mazda guy Dickie(??) to supervise the chassis development says that Kia will slowly distinguish itself from Hyundai as more youth-oriented, fun-to-drive brand.

The only problem that I foresee is that such driver-appeal has never been an important factor in Korean domestic market. I don't think it's that important here in the States either compared to Europe, but in Korea pretty much everyone cares only about smooth ride and nice/quite interior. At least that's the current situation. Which means that Kia may have trouble being too different from Hyundai, and have to make a compromise and just be lukewarm.
  • Options
    I didn't look at the spare tire.

As for handling, remember that Hyundai sells the Sonata and other cars in Europe too. So they have to have good-handling cars in order to appeal to that market, and to the segment of the North American market that likes crisp handling. Based on the reviews so far of the Sonata, it (especially the LX) seems to have moved up a big notch in this department.
  • Options
    RE: Expect the next Kia Optima to be downright sporty if you consider that the initial reviews of the Sonata say it is somewhat sporty itself, and that recent review of Kia models put them ahead of Hyundais in driving appeal.

I am missing something. To my knowledge there's only been one link posted to an actual review of the Sonata NF and the reviewer described the car as anything but sporty. I believe it was done by a British journalist.

I get C&D, Motor Trend, Automobile and R&T and none of those magazines have reviewed the car yet. I've got my fingers crossed that there'll be a review in the June issues which should start arriving in a week or so. Until then, if anyone has links to existing reviews, please post them.
  • Options
    See also 503 and 507 for reviews.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I think the June issues of just a few of the major car mags will have information on the new 2006 Hyundai Sonata. It will take the passage of a few months before they all cover the handsome new rig.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    A friend of mine moved back to Korea recently, and another one of mine just visited there. Both say that pretty much the only thing on the road there is Hyundais, and that 3 out of 4 cars are Hyundais, if not more. They say it is almost all Sonatas and Santa Fes. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that although Korean domestic market drivers may not appreciate sporty driving as much as certain others stateside and in Europe, they don't sell that many cars there to lose.

Kia probably sells more cars in the USA and Europe than it does in Korea. Also, if Kia loses sales in Korea because it is deemed as too sporty and not comfortable enough, who are they going to lose sales to? Hyundai?... Something tells me that wouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    Tired of waiting around for the American reviews to come out, I've searched different languages. I've come across only two thus far, but enjoy:

You'll have to use a translator (like on altavista), but you can still understand for the most part what is going on. Technikaleiktenest (technical haha) stuff is going to be the hardest to understand, but you will get what they are saying about how it drives and performance. One says the 2.4 Sonata does 0-100km/h (which is about 62 mph) in 8.9 seconds and thinks that is pretty good.

http://www.netzeitung.de/autoundtechnik/fahrberichte/331195.html

http://hyundai.auto-magazin24.de/sonata/index.htm

You may have problems accessing the second review.
  • Options
    There are a ton of Hyundais in Korea, but maybe not 3 out of 4 because there's lots of Kias and Daewoos and assorted other makes too. And there's lots of Sonatas (not that many Santa Fes in comparison), but I'd say from direct observation the most popular Elantra on the road in Seoul at least is the Avante (Elantra), followed by the Sonata. Lots of Sonata and Elantra taxis (tons of those in Beijing also, as I learned today). And lots of the new Sonatas in Seoul--more than I'd expect for the short time the car has been out, so it must be selling well in the home country.
  • Options
    z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the links. I ran the first through babelfish. Although not very informative, it was nonetheless quite entertaining. The headline was translated as follows:

Hyundai Sonata 2.4: Old cheeks, but strongly

:-)
  • Options
    herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Rarrrrg. I'm getting impatient. I want to see some american auto mags review this. I wanna see Consumer Reports review this. I wanna see one at my dealership so I can test it out for myself. Rarrrg!
  • Options
    zupzup Member Posts: 15
    Just about one month to go for the Sonata to go on sale. I think the best we can hope for is in the third week of May. Hopefully, incentives will start immediately on its release, which would help take sales away from the Accord and Camry. Can't wait to own this car. Long live Hyundai!
  • Options
    Hopefully, incentives will start immediately on its release...

Don't count on it... except maybe a loyalty rebate. When the Tucson went on sale late last year, that's what Hyundai did there. I think they'll see how many they can sell at near full price before turning on the incentives.
  • Options
    I don't know if there will or won't be rebates. I would not count on it. Like Backy said, the Tucson didn't have them for a really long time, at least here anyway. It took a month for there to be a $1000-2000 rebate and that was including the $500 rebate.

Another car I've been looking at is the Volkswagen new Jetta. The $26,000 2.5 package 2 has $1200 rebates now and it JUST came out. Maybe there will be, but obviously, Hyundai and Veedub are not in the same boat.

Cars aren't having trouble selling as much as SUVs anymore, and the Sonata being a "large car" can maybe conjur a lot of sales off of SUV owners.
  • Options
    $26,000 for what is essentially a Corolla look-alike compact with a very nice interior but only 150 hp... no surprise to me that VW would need to apply rebates immediately, given that you can get cars like the Mazda3 that are better than the Jetta in many respects for much less money. Heck, you can get a loaded mid-sized sedan and soon even the full-sized Sonata for much less than that. Since the Sonata is priced reasonably to start with, there's no need for immediate rebates. But they will come eventually--just don't look for $3000 rebates on these new Sonatas anytime soon, like you can get on the current Sonatas.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Although I was happy with my Elantra, I just don't think I could be first to buy a Hyundai (or Chevy for that matter) with the idea that discounts would be coming on line shortly. Early Maxx buyers posted about their fine buys @ $20,000. After a year, I paid $16,000.

My '01 Elantra was a much better car out of the box. Although I've had no trouble with my 05 Maxx, lots of 04 buyers did. I wonder how smooth the transition to the Alabama plant will go. Expected discounts and the question about the new plant would keep me out of the Sonata line for the first several months of release.

The old car (or an Optima) would be attractive if the price goes down enough...
  • Options
    f111df111d Member Posts: 114
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8537
    Good price,roomy, decent reliable motors/etc, amazing warrant for the price range, not sure about driving dynamics? I've gotten to point with this strange econom, for good bang for the buck transportation this may not be such a hard choice. To bad this area doesn't have a local dealer. Look out, not only Detroit, Toyota and Honda. Of course there will still be those vanity consumers that have to have the big "I sit up higher than you so therefore I'm better SUV drivers. Oh yes in our area," I have 4 wd, I don't need winter tires, besides trips thru the median is my off-roading time!"
    Paul
  • Options
    Backy, if you think that a Volkswagen Jetta is comparable to a Toyota Corolla, then you are exactly the kind of person that would never drive a VW. Also, the Jetta is more comparable to the new Honda Accord than a Toyota Corolla, especially in terms of size. While places like Edmunds note that the dimensions suggest they are the equivalent, if you are in it, you will notice it is much different in its setup and seemingly much larger. Also, the car may only have 150 horses, but it feels like it has 200+ due to its major torque at low RPMs. The reason I was looking at them is that they have an interior fit for royalty nowadays (I like the tan leather), and I'm in my car enough I'd like to make it a nice place.

I think it is funny that you denounce the Jetta, accusing it of being a Corolla lookalike (which if you actually think that, you know nothing about car design) considering that we are on a 2006 Hyundai Sonata board talking about a car made by a company that admittedly copied the styling of the Audi A6 in the design of its car...which is absurdly apparent.

I think I am going to buy a Sonata, though the jury is out on whether it will be a GLS or GLS V6... I would Jetta, but there are just too many things that can go wrong. A friend of mine tells me to get one and just get the 100k powertrain warranty like he did, but I am not afraid of the engine, it is the electronics. Next time you go and look at one, or just do it for fun, I would like you to consider how many electronics there are in the car that could go wrong. The rear seats' lock controls for example. Who would've thought that a lock control could be so fancy?! Refrigerated center console and glovebox? oye vay.

Anyway, the point of this being on the Sonata board is that while I am a fiend for electronic doo-dads, I am glad that the Sonata does not have them coming out of a new factory. Things like this always mean trouble, and with a new plant, it is good that Hyundai did not include things like navigation from the get-go...or snazzy doorlocks.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    This isnt a Jetta forum, but you've very defensive of a car that just isnt very good considering the price point at which it competes.

And your comment: "Also, the car may only have 150 horses, but it feels like it has 200+ due to its major torque at low RPMs." would indicate that you havent driven that many vehicles with 200+ horses. The Jetta I test drove was FAR from impressive given the price tag. (If you'd like to read my comments, they appear on that forum).

~alpha
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    There still is not a manufacturer rebate on the Tucson and we are not having any problems selling them at all. I wouldn't expect to see any on the Sonata for at least six months outside of loyalty. It could be longer. When the introduced the 2003 Sonata there was no rebate for over a year.
  • Options
    nostalgianostalgia Member Posts: 10
    I am a research engineer in Hyundai-Kia motors.
    As someone mentioned, Hyundai-Kia has about 70% of market share in Korea.
    The sales rank in 2004 is as follows:

1: 2005 Sonata+ 2006 Sonata (Hyundai) 85,400units
    2. Santa Fe (Hyundai) 63,988units
    3: Elantra (Hyundai) 60,422units
    4: SM5 (Renault-Samsung) 53,548units
    5: Starex (Hyundai) 49,792units
    6: Sorento (Kia) 45,863units
    7: XG (Hyundai) 41,675units :surprise:

I think one of the reason causes from the economies of scale.
    Hyundai-Kia is the second biggest company after Samsung in Korea.
    Many work for those companies. (62,000 employees for Samsung and 53,000 for Hyundai-Kia.) I guess there are more for parts manufacturers.
    When you have a product of a large company, you'll get better service easily and rapidly. ;)

Even those large companies can afford to invest a lot of money for R&D.
    There are huge test tracks, equipments and best engineers in the R&D center.
    Furthermore, most engineers stand over nights for the quality improvement.
    They seem like warriors (in fact, all Korean men MUST join the army at least 3 years).
    I think there is, especially in Hyundai, a kinda army culture. The CEO has
    an absolute power like a king. Nowadays, the CEO of Hyundai orders quality improvement.
    He visited the R&D center frequently and double-checked any defect of 2006 Sonata and Azera. For engineers, it seems like a council of the war. Once you make a mistake, you die. :sick:

I think it made Hyundai stronger and most customers know it. :D

Korean car buyers are very conservative that they point out every noise and talk to another. There are so many associations and forums of cars through the internet.
    I sometimes feel like they know more than myself about cars.
    You'll get further information about cars all over the world at
    http://www.bobaedream.co.kr
  • Options
    I have a question, with the development of the versatile Theta 2.4 and Lambda 3.3 engines, will we see them put into other Hyundai and maybe Kia cars? There are indeed many possibilities:

2.4: Elantra, Tiburon, Tuscon, Sante fe, Spectra, Amanti, Sportage, Sorento

3.3: Tiburon, Tuscon, Sante fe, Amanti, Sportage, Sorento

I would love to see the 2.4 and 3.3 put into Hyundai and Kia's SUV's for better mileages
  • Options
    Just caught the end of a Hyundai TV commercial twice now, I take it there's a factory in the states now.
    As far as the quality thing this reminders me of Honda's march to a worthwhile set of wheels. All they need now is to have Richard-Parry Jones to show their engineers how to create a drivers car. (Sonata)
    I was stationed in Korea in 1968 and technical/engineering expertise was a dream. It's hard believe what's been accomplished, since the day I left I got to ride on a short stretch of new highway 1(copied from our interstate). The major of which was built by hand. I been told by many that Korea now has the capacity to supply the steel for all the global needs. I believe the lack of resources and scrape steel is the only thing holding them back.
    Affordable reliable solid transportation goes along way to satisfying many Americans caught up it is strange economy .(Or as I call it "America's turn in the Barrel")
  • Options
    manofsteel2k6manofsteel2k6 Member Posts: 25
    Go to ebay.com. At the bottom of Ebays home page, there is a link to take you to ebays sites worldwide. Scroll through the countries, and choose Korea. At the top of the Korean Ebay there is a search bar. Type in Hyundai Sonata. There are quite a few of the new model Sonatas listed. Look for Sonata N20. There are many different pics of some of the different Korean models. A good way to see the Sonata with actual real people taking the pics, and not professional photographers.
  • Options
    I just got my June issue of MT yesterday and there's still nothing about the new Sonata in it. Kind of makes me wonder... is there a reason Hyundai wouldn't want standing reviews out there as the car hits the lots? I know the driver's magazines (MT, C&D, R&T, Automobile) tend to be rather harsh on the "softer" family cars vs. the prelimary reviews posted by other sources here. Still, it'd be nice for consumers to have some information and pictures available before the test-drive. This means it'll now be the July issue, at the earliest, in which you'll be able to read a review and see shots of the car. What the heck?
  • Options
    Look on the bright side. While well-researched shoppers like us will have acquired our Sonatas immediately after its release or when the rebates start to appear, others will hesitate so that there won't be an influx of Sonatas on the road, giving our Sonatas the wow factor and us the bragging rights. ;)
  • Options
    thndrstmthndrstm Member Posts: 47
    Has anyone been quoted a price vs MSP( or invoice). I heard invoice will be about 1600 below MSP.
  • Options
    Backy, if you think that a Volkswagen Jetta is comparable to a Toyota Corolla, then you are exactly the kind of person that would never drive a VW.

All I said was I think the Jetta looks like the Corolla. If you have been following the press on the new Jetta, you know I am not the only person who has that opinion. For example, from Automobile Magazine's review:

With its rounded shape, high beltline, and blobular head- and taillights, the Jetta is a dead ringer for the stodgy Corolla. Wolfsburg, we have a problem.
    http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0503_volkswagen_jetta/

If you want more examples of this kind of opinion, google "2005 Jetta" and "Corolla". Your comment about my knowing nothing about car design just because I think one car bears a resemblence to another car is insulting. (I guess the folks at Automobile Magazine don't know anything about car design, either.) I'd appreciate it if you could try to be a little more civil in these discussions and not get into personal attacks just because someone has a different opinion than you do.

As for this being a Sonata discussion, not a Jetta discussion, yes it is--recall you were the one who brought up the Jetta.

Re electronics on the Sonata... it has quite a bit actually, with power everything, ESC, and all the airbag sensors. But that's pretty common in cars of this class these days.
  • Options
    Automobile article April 2005
    By Richard Feast
    German automakers were once synonymous with great quality. What happened?

Unfortunately it can't be read on-line yet even though it's the first day of May, well it is Sunday. Not sure when the folks at Automobile release archives for on-line viewing?
    One thing I always thought was Detroit's down fall, their inability to deal with electronics.

Looks like Germany manufacturers have fallen into a similar trap. We'll just throw electronic at the consumers! IE: Quote from the article - "Many quality failures stem from the blinkered pursuit of the latest electronic technology" .
    Blinkered, love that description. Richard Feast must be from England? That's the word I've been looking for the last 20 years to describe Detroit's approach to electronics. Bean counter engineered electronics that is. I've been told cost-effective engineering is taught in college. But cut it some more knowing it will fail? I think not! Got that tid-bit from the owner of parts supplier to Detroit.
    My point is maybe car manufactures should stick to what they should know best (IE:driving dynamics for one) and let the after market electronics provide the toys? ABS is still pain to cost-effectively maintain or even prove if it's really working as designed. Very few error codes let along performance codes are in my PCM. (OBD II enhanced manufacture propeitary)
    I know this one device that needs integrated into to driving dynamics , but a one generitc algorithm fits all? NAW!. ABS has a long way to go. I'll try to explain (I've never been close to an english major) since I unknowingly learned threshold braking and I'm sure Bosch or whoever has played with this design, an ABS system does not need to increase stopping distances even on wet/snowy pavement! I been told by a Ham radio contact, it has been toyed with and works. Best way to explain it - "it's not the stomp and hold design". I'm guessing the better the driver the shorter the distance?
    Sure hope the engineers at Hyundai are paying attention? Actually all car manufacturers need to offer such an option. Option! Not standard!
    Paul
    N8BUU
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I noticed that the Hyundai web site gives specs for a GLS with a manual tranny. I thought this combo would not be offered. Is this the case, or did Hyundai change their minds?
  • Options
    What site are you looking at? The following site shows the GL as the only model available with the stick shift:

http://www.hyundaisonata.com/Specifications.aspx
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    That is the site I was looking at - scroll down to the bottom of the page of the link you posted and EPA mileage is listed for the MT for the GLS.
  • Options
    Since the info above that is very clear about transmission choices, I think this is a typo. Web sites like this are full of them.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    www.canadiandriver.com
  • Options
    manofsteel2k6manofsteel2k6 Member Posts: 25
    That might be one of the worst reviews i have ever read. The Sonata is supposed to compete with Camry and Accord, who also dont offer deisel options in the US. So what in the world is this guys point? Its amazing that people get paid to write crap like that.