Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    How can it be better bang for the buck when there is no price announcement? There is much greater cost to the V6 just than a few lost mpg.
  • Options
    max460max460 Member Posts: 25
    43/34 FUEL ECONOMY IT IS VERY CLOSE TO THE YARIS :P
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    This is a midcycle ( 10 yrs ) upgrade on the Camry. They changed a lot but kept what they think is sufficient. Look back on this forum and current 4c owners are generally well-satisfied with the Gen5 2.4L in terms of performance. I concur that the new V6 will attract additional buyers but the 80% of current 4c owners from '95 onward who look at this new Gen6 will be attracted by the looks and interior improvements and safety improvements (mainly Airbags and 4-wheel discs ). For them the 2.4L is a big improvement over their previous 4c engines.
  • Options
    43/34 FUEL ECONOMY IT IS VERY CLOSE TO THE YARIS

except reversed.

43 City and 37 Hwy.. about 40 Combined
    .. versus the ICE only version which will be about 29 Combined thus about a 30% improvement in FE.

This is roughly the same improvement as the Prius vs Corolla and HH vs ICE Highlander.
  • Options
    I WILL SELL MY PRIUS NEXT WEEK TO BUY THE CAMRY HYBRID THIS TIME I WILL PLACE MY ORDER FASTER SO THAT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN WITH WHAT I DID WITH THE PRIUS. SO YOU GUYS THINK MANY PEOPLE WILL TRADE THEIR PRIUS FOR A CAMRY HYBRID? :P
  • Options
    Hybrid Camry due to hit the lots in June/July... about 60 days after the ICE's arrive.
  • Options
    WHEN CAN YOU START TO PLACE YOUR ORDERS?
  • Options
    the prius is very small i dont use it too much my wife does
  • Options
    by the the 43/37 many people will put orders like what happen to the prius
  • Options
    You could very well be right. And with only 45000 expected to be built annually there will be only about 2-3 per store per month on average. Demand ( and pricing )will tell.
  • Options
    HONDA MADE THE MISTAKE OF MATING A V6 WITH A HYBRID THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT WITH ACURA LIKE WHAT TOYOTA DID WITH LEXUS LS AND GS THEY ADDED PERFORMANCE WITH AVERAGE FUEL MILEAGE
  • Options
    dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    I appreciate your price argument, but for some reason I find it hard to believe that HID's won't make it into Camrys & Accords in the next 3 years. I expect prices for HIDs to come down to a point acceptable by both Toyota & Honda.

The TL & ES will always get new features that will remain exclusive for a few years justifying the price increases to separate them from their "lesser" siblings. Let's say $36-37K for a lightly optioned ES350 vs. $31-32K for a fully-optioned XLE V6 with HIDs & Navi, how is that uncomfortably close ? Also keep in mind that most Camrys & Accords won't have these features.
  • Options
    HIDs have already been out for a while and they haven't come down much in price, so there is little reason to believe they will get much cheaper in 3 more years.
    It is a feature Toyota and Honda likes to reserve for their luxury brands to differenciate them from the mass market Camrys and Accords.
    If only some Accords and Camrys had them, the HIDs would become a high theft item. The optional HIDs in the Maxima have proven to be a huge theft attractant raising the insurance rates for owners.
  • Options
    If only some Accords and Camrys had them, the HIDs would become a high theft item. The optional HIDs in the Maxima have proven toe be a huge theft attractant raising the insurance rates for owners.

Then let's make them standard. :)

or maybe halogens will be replaced by LEDs instead. Sometimes I get into situations I just wish I had more light. For me it would be for the improved safety and...who am I kidding, I like the look. ;)
  • Options
    Camry's are very price sensitive. Especially with the new pressure of the Sonata being $4-5000 lower. Making things standard increases the cost for all vehicles including the ones where price is just about the only consideration.

As an option or part of a package makes sense. Let the consumer decide.
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    None of the Camry's competitors has HID lights. If you want them, you will need to go up to a Lexus. Now let's drop the subject . . nuff said.
  • Options
    cartwrightcartwright Member Posts: 10
    After anxiously viewing the specs, I’m really starting worry about the cost of the LE and LE V6. Power driver’s seat is now standard on those which makes the CE more attractive, well at least till I know the price. I’m glad larger 4 wheel discs are standard as well as telescopic steering. Toyota amazes me that they can achieve a tighter turning radius on a wider wheelbase. It would be nice if I could just have the V6 with bare bones equipment. The 4 banger may be quieter but it’s fuel economy is unchanged and offers pretty much the same power. I found an article which mentions its disappointing torque (of 161 lbs-ft. @ 4,000 RPM) It’s too bad its not on a 6spd tranny but it didn’t improve the mileage of the Avalon-based V6 anyway.

link title

Random thoughts:

- Auto headlamps a welcome feature for tunnels. :)
    - Standard mp3 as well as aux input. :)
    - I’m hoping for wider standard wheels like on the Sonata. (215mm)
    - Still hoping for a wider sedan, not nag or anything.
    - I hope there's no electric steering.
    - Headroom must be personally inspected now that the Camry’s shorter. (I personally don’t like overly slated-sloped windshields as it blocks the view above in some instances. I hope the rear view mirror ain’t too low either)
    - We’ll see if the 4c power-weight(dunno yet) ratio hampers or improves performance in real-world tests.
    - Is Brake Assist really necessary? (Both ABS and that should’ve been optional on base models to save costs perhaps. It’s just more electronic fluff that could breakdown after the warranty.)
    - The trunk is now a downgraded, dismal 14.5 cu ft., thanks a lot Toyota, NOT! (I was worried about that. This is one of the reasons why Toyota should not have caved into the sports community/or whatever you want to call it. I mean, the front end looks good but the back sacrifices too much, IMHO)

Question: What’s the big fuss about LED lights I read in some forums?
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "None of the Camry's competitors has HID lights. If you want them, you will need to go up to a Lexus. Now let's drop the subject . . nuff said."

HID lights are standard on the Altima V6 SL.
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "I’m really starting worry about the cost of the LE and LE V6. Power driver’s seat is now standard on those which makes the CE more attractive, well at least till I know the price."

Power driver seat is also standard on the current 2006 Camry LE.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The interior dash and console in the new Camry looks out of place in a four-door sedan. I think it would look much better in the Solara.

• Options
    Yes, and they'll probably be ripped off just like they are on the Maxima.
  • Options
    jimbobjoeginjimbobjoegin Member Posts: 18
    i am instantly in love with this car, only if they made VSC standard on all the models, I really dont care if I have to pay more

if they had VSC standard I would automatically go and buy this car :)

BEcause in my book any car without VSC or some type of traction control, I really have no interest in espcially with the slick roads out here
  • Options
    "Power driver seat is also standard on the current 2006 Camry LE."

Once again, we Canadians get the short end of the stick. For us, power driver’s seat isn’t standard on the LE, only on V6 versions of XLE & SE sadly. :(

That said, I’m still considering the 2006 but that all depends on dealer discounts.
  • Options
    Question: What’s the big fuss about LED lights I read in some forums?

brighter, faster illumination and they look "cool". :shades:

too bad Toyota didn't make it standard, but the MP3/Aux. jack and bluetooth make up for it.
  • Options
    zgr81zgr81 Member Posts: 12
  • Options
  • Options
    So, they aren't letting people open the doors and sit in them?
  • Options
    Detroit Auto Show
    Open to the public: January 14-22, 2006
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Usually when a vehicle is debuted, no automaker opens them up to the public. Personally, I think the SE V6 that is shown above in black is stunning.

Someone asked whats different about the 2007 4 cylinder compared to the 2006. From Toyota's press release:

"The 2AZ-FE engine, standard across the Camry grade lineup, is based on the 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine from last year, but is substantially upgraded. This redesign employs optimized intake and exhaust systems, as well as strategies that reduce internal friction and enhance engine-block/crankcase rigidity. The result is improved power output with exceptional fuel economy and reduced noise and vibration levels.

This engine is based on bore/stroke dimensions of 3.48 x 3.78 inches (88.5 x 96mm) for a displacement of 2,362 cc, or 144.1 ci, and develops 158 SAE horsepower. During their revision of the existing engine, engineers boosted the compression ratio slightly to 9.8:1, altered the cam profile and paid particular attention to reducing friction through strategies such as reducing the tension of the piston rings while increasing their tensile strength. Finally, they reduced piston weight, optimized the balance shaft, improved sound insulation performance of the engine cover and improved the engine mounts.
    With this engine, Camry buyers have the choice of either five-speed manual or electronically operated five-speed automatic transmission. "

This seems to be an impressive redesign. Though I dont like the lighter color of the wood on the XLE, I dont find it cheap in the least. Of course that might be more easily observed through tactile experience... I do like that it seems as though the XLE 4 will have more comprehensive standard equipment than in the past... such as standard alloys, which I always thought was ridiculous of Toyota.

~alpha
  • Options
    A few curiosities on your random thoughts:

1) Why are you interested in wider wheels? I mean, if 205s get the job done are 10mm really a deal breaker. Toyota has made significant revisions to the suspension of the vehicle which should improve the ability of tires to maintain contact with the road. The rear suspension in particular is an improved design, and the longer wheelbase (not wider) and wider track along with revised steering should aid here as well.

2)Why do you hope there's no electric steering? The electric steering in the new RAV4 had been praised in every review I've read, as has the electric steering in the Yaris in the edmunds.com review.

3) I agree that the 4 cylinder performance remains to be seen, but I believe the 5 speed transmission has been improved and is not the same from the previous generation, so we'll have to wait for some numbers and test drives.

4) What is wrong with Brake Assist? ABS is electronic fluff that "could breakdown after the warranty"? So can every single component on the vehicle. ABS is not new and thats doubtful however. This is almost like the argument people used to have against power windows and locks. Its an ancient way of thinking, and Hyundai still offers an incredible warranty if its that much of a concern. Of course they make stability control standard, which is probably objectionable to you if ABS is.

5) How did Toyota "catering to the sports community" affect trunk space?

~alpha
  • Options

I’m really starting worry about the cost of the LE and LE V6

Pricing..Post #1018
    I'd be shocked if the new Camry is significantly different than the '06. Generally they try to maintain price by adding content (value) to each new model.

It's supposed to be slightly wider. The press release said that the wheels were moved to the outer edges of the platform while the wheelbase was lengthened ~2" for more interior room.

4c 2.4L is plenty of power for this vehicle since 2002. Remember most, 60%+, buyers only want the basic 4 banger people mover. Performance means little or nothing.
    Economy ( value ) and reliability are foremost. Cruising @ 65-85 mph on the interstates hasnt ever been a problem.
    From my own daily experience as well as others here the 2.4L is plenty sufficient for how the Camry will be driven normally.

- Is Brake Assist really necessary? (Both ABS and that should’ve been optional on base models to save costs perhaps. It’s just more electronic fluff that could breakdown after the warranty.)

I've been identifying you as the quintessential Camry buyer for quite some time now. Many, many, many people excoriate Toyota for not making everything standard. But there are still a lot of potential buyers who dont want a lot of the 'fluff'. The weight of mass opinion it seems has caved-in the resistance. All the safety features are standard.
  • Options
    if they had VSC standard I would automatically go and buy this car

I agree.
    It's standard on all the V6's and it will probably be the 1st option available on the 4c LE's. It is now for the '06 models... but they are out of production so it's moot.
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    192HP (V6 power not too long ago, still V6 power if you work for Ford!) with 40 MPG is impressive!

Will pick up the ball where the Accord Hybrid dropped it.

And the Lexus LS, 380HP, mid 20's economy, kinda makes the 600h redundant?

DrFill
  • Options
    Bear in mind that I do plan on keeping the Camry for at least 10 years…..(hence why I prefer Toyota)

1) “Why are you interested in wider wheels?” I would want more traction on snowy roads, especially for hilly British Columbia.

2) “Why do you hope there's no electric steering?” It’s chiefly paranoia from all the reports I’ve read concerning the Malibu. It’s not the fact that steering can be too numb as I know that can be altered via software. It’s the lack of on-centre feel, lack of sensation while driving through bumpy roads. Also, the motor has broken down for Chevy Malibu folks in forums and in one editorial review. It’s long-term reliability (post warranty) is a wildcard for GM cars. I can’t speak for Toyota as they use higher quality parts. Maybe theirs is as reliable as hydraulics. That said, I still wouldn’t trust an electric motor for steering. On the new 2006 Malibu 3.9L model, hydraulics are used and I think it’s because GM doesn’t trust it. It’s primarily a cost-saving issue for automakers and the fuel savings are negligible.

4) “What is wrong with Brake Assist? ABS is electronic fluff that "could breakdown after the warranty"? So can every single component on the vehicle.” I wouldn’t shed a tear if the audio console broke (unlikely) but if ABS or Brake Assist required servicing, I’d go nuts and so would my wallet. I hate being at the mercy of a garage when they have to order some pricy electronic unit. I’m more of a mechanical guy. Besides, I’m used to pumping the brakes anyway and holding on them just to activate the ABS so I can steer feels awkward to me.

5) How did Toyota "catering to the sports community" affect trunk space? I believe Toyota gave in to all the whiney bickering (no offense to any) of those who wanted the Toyota to look more sporty. It seems like in recent months the word “bland” has become this buzzword to be thrown at the hint of perceived ugliness. As a result they shaved the back of the car to make it resemble the Avalon. That was uncalled for; there’s no utility in it other than style. Rather, they should’ve modified the Solara or Celica coupe and left the shape Camry (FAMILY sedan!) alone in the back. Just my 2 cents.

Folks, thank-you for your responses. Lots to learn here, indeed. It’s nighty-night for me.

PS. Kdhspyder, you read my mind regarding all the “fluff”. :)
  • Options
    buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    I think there were recent articles indicating a narrower/higher tire is better for snow traction. Se TireRack.
  • Options
    Production of the 2007 models begins Feb. 13 at Georgetown's Plant One, which assembles the Avalon on the same line.

The following Monday, the new Camry will begin at Georgetown's Plant Two, which also assembles the Solara.

"Camry's new style is athletic and elegant," Don Esmond, Toyota Motor Sales USA's senior vice president of automotive operations, said in Detroit. "It is infused with new energy and is better proportioned."

Pricing is expected to be announced later, but Esmond said the new Camry would maintain the Toyota tradition that each new Camry should offer better value and more car for the money than the previous one.

The first of the hybrid Camrys will be imported from Japan, but by next fall, the Georgetown plant will also begin producing the hybrid Camry.

From a production and design standpoint, James said what makes the new Camry unique is that it began as a global design with input from the six other nations where the sedan is sold besides the United States and Japan.

"We got all the designers together at the start so we could get the best ideas from everybody,'' he said.

The Camry has been a perennial top seller, with 2005 figures showing that it was the best-selling car in the United States for the fourth year in a row and eight of the last nine years. It again topped sales of the Honda Accord and other midsized competitors such as the Chevrolet Impala.

Unlike some automakers, Toyota doesn't shut down production to switch from one model year to the next. Because of strong sales, James said production of the 2006 Camry is continuing "full bore'' with the Georgetown plant producing about 1,400 of the 2006 Camrys a day.

To prepare for the model changeover, workers have been practicing since June assembling parts of the 2007 model, James said.
  • Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I own a 2006 Solara SLE V6 loaded and find it to be a reliable, well built car. It handles well, has sufficient power to blend into 70+ mph traffic, gets 30.9 mpg average and is quite comfortable. Some may say it's the perfect car. The only flaw is it is BORING. I also own a 1967 Camaro SS 350. It is a 4 speed (I prefer automatic) and gets maybe 12 mpg, runs like a banshee and will whup the new Mustang all day long. Here's the kicker the Toyota sits in the garage waiting for that important long trip or run to the hospital (reliability) that never comes. I drive the Camaro almost exclusively because it is EXCITING. When the new Camaros come out the Toyota will be history. Good as it is...Fast, Loud and Exciting wins over reliable and fuel efficient every time. Just my honest opinion Dave Rodham Wytheville, Va. :shades:

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    Sorry, no sympathy for your plight. Did you not know the Solara wasnt fast, loud and exciting when you purchased it?

~alpha
  • Options
    Every Solara I have seen is being driven by a woman . . not a bad thing . . but that is the profile for it.

Camry up to now has been for the 55+ crowd. The V6 SE may change that . . .I called up to reserve mine . . :shades:
  • Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I kind of figured it would be the best I could do since availability of Camaro or Toyota Supra was non existent. Why was the Supra discontinued? If Toyota ever gets it's design team to build a car with pizzaz and horsepower it will beat everything out there. Come on Toyota. I know you can do Fast, Loud and Exciting better than anybody if you just get the word from central office. 350 HP, Auto trans, ABS, VSC, side air bags and a factory 600 watt stereo. Lose the low plastic front and rear so I don't hit curb stops with my fog lights. You must admit the top of the line stereo in Toyota is weak at best. Keep me as a customer. I know Toyota is the best thing on 4 wheels, just max one out for those of us that don't want to add a bunch of aftermarket garbage. :surprise:

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Still no climate control on the SE. Why does Toyota think sporty drivers don't also like luxury? They should make available on the SE all features available on the XLE.
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Seems they missed this cycle of performance cars (RX-8, 350Z, GTO).

I guess all that stuff about changing their conservative image was just rhetoric. At least for Lexus, they are moving in that direction.

DrFill
  • Options
    nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    dude, do you ever drive in snow? a wider tire does not get you better traction in snow, it's exactly the opposite.
  • Options
    I really doubt it "averages" 30.9 mpg unless you do 100% highway driving.
  • Options
    Camry up to now has been for the 55+ crowd. The V6 SE may change that . . .I called up to reserve mine

Well not exactly. I just reached this age and after 16 years of driving Camry's ( 4 ) I just moved on to a Prius. For a lot of us it has been the primary vehicle for quite a long time.

This one is special though IMO.
  • Options
    availability of Camaro or Toyota Supra was non existent. Why was the Supra discontinued

As I understand it the Supra is still being made just not for this market. I stand being corrected on this.

From those who sold it back in the mid 90's it was a muscle-flexing vehicle; 'Look what we can do' that noone could sell.. IOW a money loser.

Performance and top-of-the-line feaures... that's known as a Lexus. It's intentionally different than the Toyota line.
  • Options
    vwdriver2vwdriver2 Member Posts: 54
    When I was in the looking for a new car, I was looking at either a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, or VW Passat...and narrowed it down to a Camry and Passat. I bought the 06 Passat because of its styling and it was 10x more fun to drive than either cars...I also own a RAV-4 and absolutely love it...Toyota makes great cars period...and now seeing the pics of the 2007...It looks great!!! I wonder if I should have waited. It will definitely continue being the best selling car in the U.S.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    Check out the photos/video and add your comments!
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8e56c

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    lyerlylyerly Member Posts: 1
    The press release mentioned amber gauges for the SE trim, but the presentation/pictures out on toyota.com don't show that for the SE.

I'm hoping they will be in the actual model.