Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• Options
    wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    Saw the alabaster silver, where as the old silver was flat, the new silver has a patiina to it, not as rich as a mercedes silver but a very pleasant looking silver that is neither shiny nor dull. i found the old civic silver to be a dull sivler uninteresting.. Not blown awayy by it but clearly an improvement
  • Options
    jeffekjeffek Member Posts: 2
    I just had to drive a new Civic while I wait for the Si to appear. The interior was comfortable and quiet. I liked the instrumentation. The 5 speed felt a little rubbery and the throttle response felt very strange initially. It took some getting used to and I have driven sticks most of my 24 years of driving.

After getting the hang of the gas pedal I enjoyed the car very much. It has a very solid road feel. The interior is finished nicely for the price. The car did seem slightly underpowered but it does get 40 MPG.

I realize that this is not a luxury car but heated seats would be a nice option. (oops I forgot this is a Honda, there are no options.) Heated seats are not offered in most of the all wheel drive CRV models either except for the top model with leather and a doggy automatic transmission. It's a shame to build a great little winter vehicle and not offer this inexpensive option.

I am looking forward to trying out the 6-speed and 58 more ponies in December.
  • Options
    iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    Read his post again. He didn't offer more than MSRP to cut in line.
  • Options
    heejomanheejoman Member Posts: 33
    Is '06 Civic's manual transmission that a concern?

I didn't say a problem but I read (Temple of V-Tec) that number of people feels it's not shifting well.

I thought Civics/Integras were the best manual trans. cars.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sorry, but we don't allow salespeople's names and certainly not phone numbers that don't belong to you. Posts containing the salesperson's name have been removed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    fordfocusfordfocus Member Posts: 37
    that color is called "Photoshop Silver" hehehe
  • Options
    obie2obie2 Member Posts: 20
    Bought a Civic EX a/t last night. $500 below MSRP Los Angeles area. I think I could have done better if I would have waited but Edmunds had TMV for my area @ MSRP. Compared to my 2001 EX this one feels bigger inside. Seats are a little more comfortable. (good lower back support) . Steering seems a little softer to me. Can't tell too much about performance because I don't want to push it until it is broken in. There is a distinctive difference in the 5 speed auto trans vs the 2001 4 speed auto. The closer ratios smooth out the feel of shifting considerably. Your right wrjoyce. There is a slight difference in the silvers (my 2001 is also silver). A slight patina and more metal flake effect. I will post a picture of the two side by side as soon as I can. Matt
  • Options
    andysandiegoandysandiego Member Posts: 54
    Comparing brochures for the 2006 Civics, I note some interesting differences - making the choice of a coupe more attractive for enthusiasts:

Comparing LX sedan to LX coupe:

Wheelbase - 106.3 vs 104.3
    Length - 176.7 vs 174.8
    Height - 56.5 vs 53.5
    Width -69.0 vs 68.9
    Track - 59.0/60.2 vs 59.0/60.1
    Curb Weight MT/AT - 2685/2751 vs 2654/2716
    Stabilizer Bar (mm, front/rear) - 24.2/10.0 vs 25.4/11.0

LX and Ex have 16-inch 5-bolt wheels, 205/55 R16 tires, all increased over 2005.

I find the differences in height, stabilizer bar diameters, and wheelbase particularly interesting. Of course, the Si is undoubtedly the one to get if you're going to get a coupe unless the price difference governs. I'd certainly find a 5-speed LX coupe a desirable car (if my wife hadn't decided for me when we recently bought an '04 Civic EX auto sedan).
  • Options
    Enthusiasts who enjoy good-looking cars might prefer the sedan :D
  • Options
    hehehe, I better add that it's just my opinion that the sedan looks better, no harm intended, heh heh
  • Options
    waw40waw40 Member Posts: 39
    I may be too old (20 something, going on 30) to understand some who post their messages here but it appears that they are going to drag race their Civics from every stop light and/or go over 130mph on some deserted Nevada roads. I agree it will be fun but don't expect to get the listed 22/30 (Si) or 30/38 (non-Si) mileage if you do that. On the other hand, if you don't care about mileage, I suggest to start saving for that Ferrari...
  • Options
    novanova Member Posts: 135
    I am looking to buy a sedan with the automatic transmission.
    All you new owners speak up about your mileage.
    It is hard to beleive 30/40

THANKS
  • Options
    dwatwddwatwd Member Posts: 6
    '06 AT EX No NAV

1st Tank: 38

2nd Tank: 40

It is what it is. I drive 130 miles a day on my commute at a speed of between 70 and 75 MPH on the highway. I have to laugh when I see these guys posts that they are getting averages below EPA estimates, driving at 80 to 90 MPH and they can't figure it out. DUH! It's a car not a miracle.

Howdy. I drive 30 miles a day and drive an average speed of 110 MPH and I'm only getting 16 MPG. I just can't understand it. I thought these were good cars!
    LMAO.

Beam me up Scotty.
  • Options
    george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    I received a great price quote for a 2006 Honda Civic LX Auto including destination for $16,789 from Nick the internet sales manager for Baron Honda. I confirmed the price quote with Nick from Baron Honda with e-mails. In his e-mail confirmations he always would ask me to come in and test drive the Civic and he would make me a great deal. I responded to the Honda dealer by telling him that I was interested in purchasing the Civic for the price he quoted and I wanted to know when the car would be available for me to purchase. I also asked Nick if there would be any additional fees besides DMV and tax. I never received another e-mail response from Nick or Baron Honda. I re-sent my e-mail telling Nick that I was interested in purchasing the Civic for his quoted price but he never responded back to me.

To me this is a very poor way of conducting business. Do not waste your time with Nick the internet sales manager. All he wanted to do was to get me into their dealership; he was never going to sell me the Civic at the price he quoted.
  • Options
    crazycrocrazycro Member Posts: 12
    Anyone that wants to read the Honda Transcript from 9/01/05 with the Honda techs, it has finally been posted. There may be many questions that you need the answers to. Go to forums on the top of this page and then find previous chat transcripts. I have been waiting for a month to get a second look at it. There are many answers located in there.

;) :P
  • Options
    slawendaslawenda Member Posts: 101
    Does anyone know why the new Civics (2006) are being shipped or produced isuch short supply? Is this intentional by Honda? Or is there a "problem" they haven't or won't disclose? Or is this routine for a new model?

It seems like dealers are getting between 1-3 delivered at a time only, and only carry 2-4 at a time in stock, divided between coupes and sedans. You call this inventory? What's going on here, and when will inventories be "normal"?
  • Options
    jeffekjeffek Member Posts: 2
    I was surprised to find the shifter so vague and rubbery. I did get the hang of the box quickly but believe it or not the gas pedal was far more challenging. It is way too light. It is far too easy to rev that engine up in my opinion. With practice you could shift it smoothly no problem.

I have read reviews that the 6 speed is supposed to be just excellent.
  • Options
    spike3spike3 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me what the sticker msrp was on the civic you got? I am looking at one LX AT coupe with a price of 18,810 and they will not budge. any suggestions? Also very interesting about the Passat that is the car I originally was looking for in an 02 also with turbo. So I am better off with the civic?? Let me know anything you can about price. I am in WI also.

Thanks
  • Options
    koolkinkajoukoolkinkajou Member Posts: 15
    Is anybody concerned that neither traction control or Electronic stabilsation program are offered in the 2006 Civic model. Considering that these options are offered in almost all competing vechicles such as jetta/golf/corolla and are considered the best active safety inventions it seems a little strange?
  • Options
    watchdoc2003watchdoc2003 Member Posts: 22
    The 06 Civic comes with 4 wheel ABS with electronic brake distribution. There are detailed explanations in the honda website and technical briefs on the honda worldwide website.
  • Options
    civic4civic4 Member Posts: 33
    My wife comes running in the room...."Its photo shop silver!!!! Its photo shop silver!!!" I had to let her down easy,...... see what you started????....LOL! :D
  • Options
    braclobraclo Member Posts: 2
    06' LX AT

I drive about 70 miles a day commuting driving between 65-75 MPH. My first tank was only at 31. I'm on my second tank now so we'll see about the MPG. The 1st tank was filled by the dealer so who knows. I'm not really expecting to get 40 MPG. The EPA estimates IMO are usually way off reality. No car I"ve owned (including 5 Hondas) has ever hit the EPA figures. I really expect to see about 35-37 MPG.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Most people easily get highway EPA estimates on long road trips as long as it's a relatively flat route.
    City EPA mileage is much harder to match.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's only a concern to me in that it will help push the Civic down on my shopping list, considering I can get a much larger car with nearly as good fuel econony (34 hwy vs. 38 on Civic stick shift) and with traction control and ESC for less than a Civic LX. I wouldn't be surprised though to see Honda add these features to the Civic in later years--note how they have started adding these features in the lower trim lines of the Accord, finally.
  • Options
    It is all in how you apply the gas pedal. I have found out that in just slightly harder to a bit agressive driving with my automatic 2004 Civic Coupe, I will get between 24 and 27 City.

With some awareness and correction of how hard I sink the pedal in driving and from full stops, on my last tank I got 33.8 MPG city, (and I do quite a bit of stopping and starting the engines in my line of work).

Highway is a snap at 38 to 39 with some back ups here and there, with a smooth sail I would even expect better.
  • Options
    Print out the email and bring it to the dealership, if no results, threaten with a lawsuit and punitive damages and and better yet, the Better Business Bureau. This can open Nick's eyes and also the managers and he suddenly will recall the price he quoted you rather than taking the stand. I hate shifty salesmen!!
  • Options
    drexelnetdrexelnet Member Posts: 47
    just found out the invoice price for the 06 Civic at edmund.com. $15,875 for a 06 LX auto sedan. hope this help with negiotating.
  • Options
    mtbridermtbrider Member Posts: 16
    I'm really tired of hearing about how much quicker the Dodge SRT-4, Chevy Cobalt SS, etc. is compared to an Si. The only reason that these cars are quicker is because of forced induction. Without that, they would pale in comparison vs. an Si. The fact that Honda can make a car which can post decent numbers sans forced induction is a tribute to their technology (see Honda S2000). Also, such use of forced induction translates to a higher potential for mechanical problems, given the added components....and given the already relative unrealiability of Dodge and Chevy (vs. Honda), my money is on the Honda.
  • Options
    playplay Member Posts: 38
    I saw the Silver on a 4 door sedan at the dealer ship in Tucson yesterday. It just looked like generic Silver to me. I was unimpressed, and I like Silver in some applications. It looked nothing like the photos of the Coupe on the Honda website linked above.

The White is the same color as the Accord White, which is to say it is White, not cream, pearl, metallic. Snore.
  • Options
    hehehe, I better add that it's just my opinion that the sedan looks better, no harm intended, heh heh

I believe Honda finally did a world class job of designing both. Now if they would just offer a tall 5th gear on the manual trans, and more options flexibility.
  • Options
    Dobbs Honda in Tucson had a computer printout of at least 20 Civics due in over the next two weeks.
  • Options
    Ordered with deposit, an '06 Civic EX Sedan, Auto with Navi through the Internet-Sam's Club department of Dobbs Honda in Tucson. They responded to my request right away and were nothing but upright, none of the horror stories you hear. I was surprised and impressed.

Ordered is the operative word. I requested the Charcoal (Galaxy Grey) , and put without Navi as a second option. On the way out I found a Tango Red just being delivered. In person, it was a much more attractive color than in photos. I am terrified of red cars, or loud cars, because i drive what I consider to be safe speeds. Law enforcement occasionally thinks otherwise. So i've tried to keep it quiet. Tango red was a classy darker metallic red, not candy apple. It's still louder than Galaxy Grey, but is now on the table. Estimated delivery date of October 15th.

The car had an MSRP of $21,100 incl delivery. They discounted it $1170. before adding back on their $299 doc fee. With doc, tire fee, reg., it came to $22,122. out the door.

General info - less than 20% of the EX's are currently being delivered with Navi. I expected they were going to be loading up the initial production runs.
  • Options
    Even one in 5 (20%) is a high rate for a Civic EX considering how quick people are to complain about high sticker prices.

I wonderwhat percentage of buyers get navi even on the Accord EX V6?
  • Options
    sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    The car had an MSRP of $21,100 incl delivery. They discounted it $1170. before adding back on their $299 doc fee. With doc, tire fee, reg., it came to $22,122. out the door
    -----------------------------------------------
    I don't think they discounted much of anything, much less the $ 1,170.00 that you quoted. My EX with NAV was going to be out the door $ 23,228.00 without any discounts at all, and a 7% interest fee for Florida included, and $499.00 Doc Fee, which is higher than your $299.00 Doc Fee. With $ 1,170 off of that, which you said you got, it would be.. $ 22,058.00. Lower than what you got it for. Don't know how your math is, but you did not get $ 1,170.00 off. If you did get that $ 1,170 off, than your out the door price should be around $ 21,600.00.....Why don't you show us the break down on the total cost to you. The vehicle's MSRP is $ 21,110.00... now give us the rest of the break down...I think they gave you around $ 500 off or so...
  • Options
    paula5762paula5762 Member Posts: 7
    I was just quoted $19,300 out the door for an 06 Civic EX Sedan AT. That's in Greensboro NC - of course I have to wait two weeks for it to arrive... what few 06 Civics are in this area are going fast and at full sticker - I negotiated with two dealerships and feel fortunate to have gotten this deal.
  • Options
    The car had an MSRP of $21,100 incl delivery. They discounted it $1170. before adding back on their $299 doc fee. With doc, tire fee, reg., it came to $22,122. out the door
    -----------------------------------------------
    I don't think they discounted much of anything, much less the $ 1,170.00 that you quoted. My EX with NAV was going to be out the door $ 23,228.00 without any discounts at all, and a 7% interest fee for Florida included, and $499.00 Doc Fee, which is higher than your $299.00 Doc Fee. With $ 1,170 off of that, which you said you got, it would be.. $ 22,058.00. Lower than what you got it for. Don't know how your math is, but you did not get $ 1,170.00 off. If you did get that $ 1,170 off, than your out the door price should be around $ 21,600.00.....Why don't you show us the break down on the total cost to you. The vehicle's MSRP is $ 21,110.00... now give us the rest of the break down...I think they gave you around $ 500 off or so...

Why don't you think about what you read? I never said the net discount was $1,170. I said before adding back in their doc fee, which is no different than an ADP sticker or a $300 desert protection package. Its profit for the dealer. Which is why people should only concern themselves with their out the door cost of a given vehicle. Since you ask, here is the info.

I wish you all luck and patience on your purchases.

Total Car and Accessories $21,110
    Discount $1170
    Documentary Service Fee $299
    Sales Tax on Vehicle $1515.44
    Waste Tire Disposal Fee $5
    Title Registration Fees $363.16
    Grand Total $22122.60
  • Options
    tgozdalski1tgozdalski1 Member Posts: 34
    Here in Texas title fee is $35.00. $363.16 seems very high to me. Perhaps it is a norm for Arizona
  • Options
    drexelnetdrexelnet Member Posts: 47
    Here in Philadelphia, PA, the tags and registration is only $145. $363.16 is pretty high. Anyway, congratulation on your 06 EX AT sedan.
  • Options
    koolkinkajoukoolkinkajou Member Posts: 15
    That Documentary Service Fee of $299 is unreal. At most you should have paid $35.
    That's a total ripoff!
  • Options
    user1235user1235 Member Posts: 84
    Correct $299 or even what someone mentioned $499 is a huge exaggeration for the doc service fee. This is pure dealer profit, because the fee is supposedly for providing the service of registering the car which amounts to filling out a form and sending it to the DMV. How do you feel about paying $500 for 5 minutes of work ?!?!?

The usual reason given for this fee is that it's an optional service which the dealer provides you (which is true), so they are allowed to charge for it. But since most people see this as an essential part of the buying process, dealers have been able to get away with hugely inflated doc fees (like in your case). That's why some state began regulating this fee by putting a cap on it such as $50. That's how it is in California. But if I lived somewhere else I would also never pay more than $50 for it. They profit even on the $50, as I think their "processing time" cost them no more than a few dollars.
  • Options
    todd7todd7 Member Posts: 16
    Just purchased an 06 Si (sort of). Vehicle is not on the lot, so I had to order one, which hopefully will be in sometime Nov or Dec. This vehicle will not have navi.

MSRP and destination minus $950.
    Dealer options @ 10% over cost.
    No tax (OR res)
    Lic $45
    Total= We'll see

This is a very impressive car on paper, I can't wait">
  • Options
    You are right PLAY on the price paid, but I did not know you were paying that high on the Title, so thinking you did not get the $1,170 off as stated. My mistake :blush: The dealership here would not go lower at the time, so I did not purchase the vehicle at the price given me. Getting another manufactures model instead....

As someone else spoke of the Document Fee being far too high, I agree. Here in Florida, we pay $ 499 and no way to get around this. Document fee includes the documents of course, plus the car prep prior to delivery to the new owner, which is still too high.
  • Options
    ... plus the car prep prior to delivery to the new owner ...

Every new car I have purchased says something like this on the window sticker, below the MSRP:

"Manufacturer's suggested retail price includes manufacturer's recommended pre-delivery service."

So there is no need for anyone to pay extra for "car prep."
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...quoting an "out the door" figure is simply useless. Precisely because of all the factors discussed above [taxes, local and state, lic fees, etc], the only thing that matters is the PRICE BEFORE THE STATE/LOCAL TAXES AND FEES are added in. Otherwise, no one can make heads or tails of prices being quoted here.

MSRP
    Actual Sales Price
    Dealer Add-Ons [whatever they may be, and however justified]
    Taxes and Lic

Thanks.
  • Options
    ...quoting an "out the door" figure is simply useless

I suggest you have someone go with you when you buy your cars.

Good luck.
  • Options
    You are right PLAY on the price paid, but I did not know you were paying that high on the Title, so thinking you did not get the $1,170 off as stated. My mistake The dealership here would not go lower at the time, so I did not purchase the vehicle at the price given me. Getting another manufactures model instead....

As someone else spoke of the Document Fee being far too high, I agree. Here in Florida, we pay $ 499 and no way to get around this. Document fee includes the documents of course, plus the car prep prior to delivery to the new owner, which is still too high.

Yeah, I know what you mean, its high alright. The only good thing about plates here in AZ is that the amount falls off every year. Something to look forward to....
  • Options
    Car prep is already included in MSRP. You are being double charged.
  • Options
    Um, I don't think the comment was about the out-the-door price not being important at all. But rather, when posting a price here, it's helpful to everyone to note the price after discounts and rebates, and before localized charges like taxes and fees, because the taxes and fees differ from place to place. I don't care what someone in Las Vegas paid for taxes and fees for example, because I'll pay totally different taxes and fees in Minneasota. Also the rebates received should be itemized, because not everyone qualfies for the same rebates (e.g. loyalty rebates, competitive rebates, college grad rebates, military rebates).
  • Options
    Every new car I have purchased says something like this on the window sticker, below the MSRP:

"Manufacturer's suggested retail price includes manufacturer's recommended pre-delivery service."
    -----------------------------------------

Actually no, its not on the window sticker at all. Its on the paper work that is given use at time of signing, which includes this Document Fee, in big bold black numbers, so we won't miss it, and tried more than once during a purchase in the past and now, to get it off. No luck......The dealer stated that its not only for the paper work, but also when the car arrives on the lot, it has to go through time consuming clean up and inspections. $ 499.00 is way too much for this and is just another way of ripping us off
  • Options
    So consider it part of the markup over invoice. $0 over invoice +$499 doc fee is a real price of $499 over invoice. If they don't bring this cost up until after you have already agreed on a price, go somewhere else if they won't remove it.
    Ask what their "dealer fees" are before you make an offer and adjust your offer accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.