Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
With the 2005s hitting the floors, it's time for buyers to share their purchasing experience. Let us know how you did!

kirstie_h
Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    Thank you for one more forum ;) I probably will post in this in a year's time.

ksso
  • josheeljosheel Posts: 73
    GOOD MORNING,
     I BOUGHT MY RL ON THE 12TH. AND I THINK IT'S A GREAT CAR . I HAVE HAD SOME MEMORY ISSUES WITH DRIVER RECOGNITION BUT THE BUGS ARE SLOWLY BEING WORKED OUT TECH SUPPORT DIDN'T EVEN HAVE MANUALS ON THE 13TH.THEY ASKED ME TO BE PATIENT .WHICH WAS NO PROBLEM.(THEY SAID MINE WAS THE FIRST ONE SOLD SO I'D BE THE GIENUE PIG HA HA . PRICE WAS 51000 OUT THE DOOR TAXES WARRANTY WINDOW TINT . HOPE THIS HELPS
  • scoutscout Posts: 3
    Did you lease? What term and what per month....thanks
    OH SORRY IMPORTANT DETAIL I PAID CASH (SORRY)
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Doesn't everybody? :)
    I THOUGHT SO :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    OK, who's going to tell josheel to turn off the CAP? :)
  • scoutscout Posts: 3
    So..if you paid cash...you figured you'd keep the car for how long and the residual value would be how much? (I would then take cost minus residual and divide by months owned to see if that's better than lease)
  • proeproe Posts: 157
    If you go to Acura 2005 RL forum, think around 145, you will find some lease payment that people have.
    The bottom line is you always buy a car if you can, I mean why pay for the interest.
    The only occasion that I can think of leasing over buying is that if you use the car for business use, then it makes sense to lease a car as you can count it toward your expanse.
    Anyway, it is your money:-)
  • I picked up my RL on the 14th - the first one out the door at my dealer.

So far, I love it. It handles beautifully, it's very quiet, the seats are firm and comfortable, the stereo is fantastic, I'm already addicted to XM radio, and the navi system is great. I haven't had nearly enough time to figure out all the technology - slowly but surely. There are a number of menu screens to go through to set all your personal preferences. You can ignore all of it if you wish, but it enables almost total personalization of most of the features of the car.

The voice recognition features are taking some getting used to. Commands must be very precise and require memorization if you're going to fully utilize this feature.

My only disappointments:

- I thought the doors would lock automatically when you walked away from the car with the key fob in your pocket. In the lead up to release of the RL, I'd read several things that implied they did lock automatically, but they don't. I do love the keyless feature, though. Not having to fish around for keys is great. Really looking forward to the winter since I'm always putting my keys in a different pocket of my coat. No more worries about that (at least until I get to the house and have to find them).

- The Bluetooth capability is great, except all numbers have to be programmed into both your phone's phonebook, as well as the RL's phonebook. This wasn't a surprise, since I'd read that earlier, but it's still a disappointment.

Overall, I love the car and don't miss my 99 RL, at all!
    TO ALL CONCERNED,

I SAVED FOR TEN YEARS TO BUY THE RIGHT CAR WHEN IT CAME ALONG THE RL FELT LIKE THE RIGHT CAR OTHERWISE I'D STILL BE SAVING. I CHECKED WITH AN ACCOUNTANT AND AT THIS POINT IT WAS WISER TO PAY FOR THE CAR IN CASH BECAUSE INTEREST RATES ON LOANS AND "LEASES" ARE HIGHER THAN WHAT YOU CAN EARN AT THE BANK INVESTMENTS ETC. ETC. I HOPE THIS HELPS THE PEOPLE WHO SEEM TO BE BOTHER BY MY PAYING FOR MY CAR AND I HOPE FOR OUR CANADIAN FRIEND THIS SERVES AS THE "CAP" HE WANTED CUT OUT.

THANKS
    you hit it right on the head about the rl that's how i feel about mine but couldn't put it into words.i thought the same thing about the car locking when you walked away (oh well) enjoy your car good luck
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    josheel -
    the CAP he's talking about is typing with your CAPS LOCK on. It makes your posts very hard to read, and is the message board equivalent of SHOUTING!!
    Thanks for sharing your purchasing experience, though, and I hope you love your new car. If you had a good experience purchasing, let us know the name of your friendly dealership (no salespeople's names!)

kirstie_h

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    You don't have to apologize to anybody, Josheel. Cash is always the cheapest way to pay for a car. I hope you enjoy your new vehicle. Only please type with lower case letters-not capitalized letters. When you type with capitalized letters, this is the equivalent of SHOUTING!
  • Agreed cash is always best if you will be holding on to it and if it is not for business use. I hate owing money and do hold on to my vehicles especially if I like them.

Josheel, you mentioned warranty. Did you get an extended warranty for your $51K and what was your tax rate. Any options at all?

I wish the car was a little larger, especially in trunk. I doubt if 4 golf bags will fit in the trunk. My wife said she wouldn't mind using it on the days I need the room. I'd take her Sub SW.
    A journalist would like to interview an Acura RL driver who loaded his/her vehicle with lots of high-tech options.
    Please send your daytime contact info and a few words about your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com by Monday, October 25, 2004.

• hadhad Posts: 32
    Kirstie,

May we have the first name of this journalist?

Also, in reference to "high tech option" the car comes standard with them.

Do you want to know if the Bluetooth phone stuff works? Onstar, etc.

Thanks.
    hi my tax rate was 7.8% The Warranty was 5yr/ 100K with 0 deduct. opttions where floor mats window tint that's it .
  • At 51K you must have got a significant discount on the car as standard list is $49470 + Ext Warranty (say 1500) + floor mats 100 est+ tint 200 est = 50970 + 7.8% (3975) = 54945.

That's almost $4K discount according to my calcs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The local dealers around here say they are selling at list. I haven't actually made an offer so that may not be firm, as money does talk.
  • Just drove an '05 RL, salesperson quoted me drive-out of $53,168.
    Is this good?
  • satiresatire Posts: 71
    Burlingame (California) Acura is asking $2,995 over sticker. First shipment is five RL's of which two are already sold. I'll be looking elsewhere.

"wfj1998" - there's no way to comment on whether that's a good price. You don't tell us if that includes taxes, license or title. Plus we'd need to know those figures. And finally, what options were included?
  • $49,869 plus 6.25 tax, title & license = "drive-out" of $53,168. Standard features.
  • Oh, this includes floor mats & tint. Sorry
  • Has anyone priced the 17" chrome wheels?
    The standard wheels seem totally matte and don't properly augment the lustre of the paint, IMHO.
    Additionally, whatever they cost, has anyone negotiated the price?
    Would appreciate.
    Thanks.
  • shawn3shawn3 Posts: 8
    I got my black/black one week ago tomorrow, and have approximately 600 miles on it already.

It rides beautifully, handling better than my E320 ever did.

I traded my 02 rl, got 22,000 for it and paid just a tad over 30k balance (with 5% tax on the diff- don't ask me to calculate it) In short-msrp- no markup.

Better mileage than the 02, and it isn't broken in yet :)

I absolutely love the car. Get one :)
    If you bought an RL and are willing to speak to a newspaper reporter about your car, particularly the high-tech options, please contact jfallon@edmunds.com ASAP!

kirstie_h

• jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Like Surrfurtom I'm thinking the math indicates a sizable discount....unless maybe your trade-in was significant and saved you a bundle on the Sales Tax?
    This is my 3rd acura in 15 months so I,m guessing they treated me well.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    You didn't like the other 2, or you just like to turn your cars over frequently?
    I kept our MDX and let the RL go.