Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

Comments

• Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Tryina' crash a big day.

All non-believers, we gonna learn you sumpin' today!

HaHa!

Please feel free to link the Press Conference starting within the hour.

DrFill
  • Options
    tds1tds1 Member Posts: 74
    Going on now - Check it out!
  • Options
    lexusilexusi Member Posts: 65
    CHECK THIS OUT, BUT I STILL NEED THE FULL SPEC, ANYONE??

link title
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Well at least we have it confirmed that we will get the LWB in both gas and hybrid models now. Before there was some concern that it may only be the hybrid model that had a LWB option. Don't know if i'll go hybrid or gas in April 2007 but I will defintely go LWB. Car is beautiful and looks better when you zoom in.

Did anyone access the live press conference? I wasn't able to.
  • Options
    YAH ME TOOO I COULDNT CHECK THE LIVE PRESS, thats saaaaaaaad

:cry:

anyone i got the press from toyota press room

link title

but still thats not enough, we need more infoo!!!

Lexusi
  • Options
    jimbobjoeginjimbobjoegin Member Posts: 18
    from seeing the press realse the only difference from the model is a different grill and headlights. Very large

info is an all new 4.6L V8 capable of 0-60 in less than 5.5 seconds with mileage in the mid 20s, capable of 380HP and 370 pounds of torque.

Comes with an ML speaker system with 19 and possible storage of over 4000 songs in database. Long wheelbas has an ottoman feature in the backseat like in the maybach and new start system

LOOKS VERY VERY GOOD, German engineers BEWare

This is the beginning of the end
  • Options
    360HP, combined mileage in the high 20's???? :confuse:

I have a hard time believing that is possible!

The Germans are like "NO THEY DIDN'T!!" :mad:

DrFill
  • Options
  • Options
    yeah I was woah no way too, but after seeing the avalon's engine
    its more than likely possible that it could happen
  • Options
    there is a key like pic that has a lexus badge on it, what is this?? memory car?? looks weird! and please anyone have the full spec, that press release is lame!!!!
  • Options
    380HP (not 360) and upper 20's. Maybe the 8 gears gets you there. While on the high-end board they keep thinking Lexus is after BMW the C&D article clearly still views MB as the No. 1 targeted competitor - as do I.
  • Options
    Probably a remote auto start system. It seems like that may be a LWB standard feature.
  • Options
    max460max460 Member Posts: 25
    the inside looks like a maybach :) it is good
  • Options
    Also, I'd presume, the car will start in 2nd gear most of the time, and an electronic throttle will decide if you are really wanting 1st gear or not from a start.

Now we also have to question do we need that Mayback 57 just for the back-seat features?

And, by the way, the car is MUCH better looking!

DrFill
  • Options
    A 9" headliner monitor for rear seat occupants. Does that mean a DVD home theatre system is built into the car? The more I read about it the more I'm sure I will go with the LWB. I love the line about it having the luxury of a private jet. Looks like a dream car and for the first time I may have my wife drive it while I go sit in the rear and watch a movie. At some point someone will put direct TV or Dish network with the chip in the window - ala Jetblue - into these lux cars.
  • Options
    That's the FIRST thing I'd thought they'd cut off the concept!

Wooo!

More powerful than the BMW 750iL! Back to the drawing board.

I'll need to look up the Germans EPA's on their 360-382HP engines.

Check: BMW gets 17/25 from their 360HP 4.8
    Benz gets 16/24 from their 382HP 5.5

DrFill
  • Options
    yeah its like the smart key but its a card now

I guess new generation?
  • Options
    chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    That's pretty much all I have to say. 8 Speeds, 380 horses, gas mileage in the 20s....

I'm predicting a home run.... :D
  • Options
    they wont release the full spec until march in Geneva, which means we will not know what the new tech it has until that date!! thats wicked lexus, we need more spec!!
  • Options
    No need to Guild the Lilly right now.

That's just greedy.

It's enough to know the 750iL has been left for dead for the next 2 years until redesign, and the S550 maybe a $86k lame duck at launch!

DrFill
  • Options
    swisspraveenswisspraveen Member Posts: 14
    what an amazing car!
    does anybody know if the lwb and hybrid will be available in europe too?
    -praveen
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    And then the Mercedes and BMW engineers will get one, strip it down, and wonder how Lexus got 380 horsepower and good fuel economy.

I see a home run for the LS, but not for the S-Class.
  • Options
    Something intersting! look at the interior pic, the one with the dashboard, the high resolution pic, concentrate in the windshield, you will see a reflection of something in the center of it!

I dont know you can see it on the corners too, hmm are those the speakers??

looks weird and big too! or is it something else!

and about that massage thing, take a look at the high resolution pic of the remote, you will see thats it not like the one in the LS430, looks like the one panasonic have, the arms massage were there are electrical arms that massage you!! also there is an input for a Video, just next to the cigerette lighter!!

and about the Ipod thing! i dont know but i think it will have a port for iPod, although noo need becoz the 8 GB is more than enough, one more Q, some are talking about a detachable HDD, is this true? and how u will upload the songs you want, connect it to a pc? cool :P
  • Options
    S-class will do fine but it has a much shorter lead time on the LS this go round. I see the LS sales reaching 40-45K cars at least with this LS. Gonna be a wait list for this car for months.
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    ...Is that it will be very good! :D

Because it uses an eight-speed automatic and a very modern engine design, the EPA ratings could be almost the same as the Toyota Avalon--a truly amazing feat considering we ARE talking about a 4.6-liter V-8 engine rated at 380 bhp! :shades:
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    ...Does the rear come standard with two captain's chairs? I'm at a stage where I still might need on occaision need to carry 3 kids in back, so hopefully the recliners are optional (and a more traditional 3-person bench standard), but it isn't super clear from the press release.

Anyway, I agree with everyone that the combination of HP, torque, and MPG are very impressive indeed.
  • Options
    Alot of things arent clear yet, the reclining thing is for the right side seat only not both, so the foot rest is available for the right only, concerning what you r asking about, yes it is optional, in fact they only have the 2 seat thing in the LWB, and not the SWB version.

The SWB will have the ordinary seating :)

WE NEED MORE INFO HERE, WE CANT WAIT TILL MARCH, thats not fair!!!

Lexusi
  • Options
    Yes, I see now the info is actually on the Lexus site:
    link title
  • Options
    max460max460 Member Posts: 25
    those Japanese engineers know what they are doing with the elegance of this baby cant wait to see the Next Lexus ES350 :D
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    The LS460 makes its debut at Detroit.

Does anyone think the LS460 looks a bit like the 2007 Camry? I cant shake that feeling. The front takes a lot of styling cues from the IS and GS. I guess that is the new Lexus corporate face.
  • Options
    ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    is evident. The style is evolutionary and attractive. The comfort and luxury levels are top-notch. This news reinforces my pleasure in being a TM stockholder, as well as a Lexus owner, as the stock makes new highs.
  • Options
    link title

(click the "movie" link at the bottom)
  • Options
    prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Now this car defines flying in first class. Poor cows the thing is lined with leather everywhere.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    the new LS looks if it still drives like a bloated barge?

Let's see how it stacks up in the road tests.

I hope it handles better than the previous generation LS.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Wonder why they are afraid to show the rear?
  • Options
    affraid to show the rear!! why does it look like a BM 5 series or 7 series?? hmm lets see,

you need to check how many pics they have with the rear of the queen of cars :)

you can check the link the guys posted, the official lexus link title

go next, you will see its rear, more pics available link title

I personally counted more than 5 different images for the rear of the car,

I will tell you something, why those german car fans just can not admit that lexus did for once do a good job if not a great one!, why u always look for excuses to say no it this or its that!

LS didnt drive like a 7 series as u said! hmm, thats ur opinion and some stupid european reviewers that like to try the car in a lap! its not like this in real life, you have to know that 99.99999% of your time is spend on cruising or in the city, you wont drive ur car in a race or tournment! on the otherside, the LS was and will be always about comfort and no one in automobile maker matches how soft it drives, this is the real beauty and not taking a spin in a closed circuit.

Lexus intended to do it this way, should it be the BM way to be good?????!!!!! Lexus will not join the team :P becoz Lexus beated them and they are knocked out now by this gorgeous.

Lexus dominated and its time for germans to follow, the beginning of the end of an era of the so called german luxury automaking.

Long live Lexus,

Lexusi
  • Options
    jack27jack27 Member Posts: 5
    But the $64000 question is how does it get the very good fuel economy. It seems unlikely to be much to do with the 8sp auto as a 7sp gains little over a 6sp (about1%) - something to do with the law of diminishing returns. Also unlikely to get more that a few % from the engine. Is there some unannounced new technology that gets them there?
  • Options
    There are alot of technologies yet to be announced!!

didnt you hear what they said in the press!

"if you like how it looks, wait to hear about the safety and technology innovations"

and we are waiting! :mad:

Lexus Rocks

Lexusi
  • Options
    ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    The dual injection system and transmission software would be the main factors in my opinion. It takes a while for Toyota/Lexus to post technology information. For example, the specific description of the Prius hybrid system on the web is remarkably complete. The general description of the hybrid synergy system on the web is excellent too.
    The problem with technical information is that it's not provided in the USA anywhere near as much as elsewhere. I have mentioned this to my dealer and supplied him with two brochures on the 2005 Audi A6 both in English to pass along to Lexus headquarters. The USA version included no more than a third of the brochure available in Germany and eliminated all technical discussion.
  • Options
    the 19 speaker ML system is 7.1 DTS, that also has the ability to use the gracenote, for those that dont know what a gracenote is

"Gracenote is a commercial enterprise which maintains and licenses a database containing information about the contents of CDs. The database is accessible online over the Internet. As of 2005 many computer software applications that are capable of playing CDs use Gracenote's CDDB"

hmm what does this means??

internet in the car?? the gracenote sign sits on the audiosystem on the passanger side, just above a DTS sign??

another thing, there is one button which suppose to be related to AC function, it has a passanger body on it with an arrow thats reaches toward the face but there is an intersecting dots on that arrow? first time to see it in a lexus? anyone know whats this?

and BTW no more tape deck in this car,

Lexusi
  • Options
    nexuslexusnexuslexus Member Posts: 147
    Well, it seems you guys found the lexus press site! We were not given any information that wasn't given in the press release that you have... except that AWD was absent. They are not announcing whether AWD will make it to production in fall of 2006.

Here are some pictures of the exterior (I feel that Lexus has provided good enough interior pictures)
    Long wheelbase to come tommarow- I couldn't make it to the press conference where the LS460L was displayed- it will be on the main floor tommarow.
  • Options
    So, what are you personal, "in the flesh (or sheetmetal)" impressions? Is it better or worse than in the pics?
  • Options
    sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    Instead of following the 7 spd formula of Europe, Lexus has the first 8 speed in the world. A 4.6L V8 that has same HP as the 5.5L S class engine: Toyota wins.

Let's not forget the 4.6L + Hybrid version 3.0, that is going to be the ultimate high tech car.
  • Options
    Well... I have to say that I am not as impressed as I hoped to be. That being said, I think that rear end is better in person than in the pictures- especially the double exhaust tips integrated into the bumper, and I think the new LS is a step up from the older version. I still think I prefer the design elements from the GS and IS.

Also, compared to the new Mercedes S-class, I found the interior (even though we weren't allowed into it) to be much nicer.
  • Options
    Lexus would also neither confirm nor deny the Hybrid version.
  • Options
    blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
  • Options
    anyone knows how, i tried everything, but the problem is with the java, you need to open the site by using java then you can see the movie, the problem is i can see the movie but its not complete (although i have 512Kbs) but the sound and video just blinking and i want to see it perfectly?!

anyone knows how or where to get those movies ?
  • Options
    blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
    THE LS460 is OVER the top just like the movie "M-D". EIGHT SPEEDS. All of the ROLLS & MAYBACH features for what I'm sure will be under $100,000. Better fuel econ. Lets give the EPA a rest please MOST people in this league are not going to be counting pennies on gallons high grade gas they could have save versus a Civics (0wner) regular gas.

I love the car but the styling STILL does have the fat cat in your face style of the current or upcoming S-class nor does have the poise of the 7series or even a Caddy DTS. It looks like it would cost 30k. Along AVALON if you will. Nice. The best car ever. But the style needs more.

Its going to be a hit but it still does not have the "uff" factor like the Benz or BMW.

But like the current LS it will outsell the 7 and S. I know MB is dying right about know.
  • Options
    Having seen the car myself, I can attest to the fact that it is a quality vehicle, and is well equipped, but to compare it to a Bentley or Rolls would be irresponsible. It may be technically advanced, but it can not compare in creature comforts or interior quality.