Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    smpoolsmpool Member Posts: 33
    Is the seat fabric in the RAV4 (base or limited) typical of the small SUV category? It is not as soft to the feel as the fabric in my 2003 Corolla CE or 1998 Sienna LE.
  • Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well I do not know the exact details of the EPA city driving cycle but I am sure it is like "stop, go easy to 35 for 2 miles, stop...go easy for 35 for 2 miles etc."

It is not flooring the car from light to light or running to 90. This was what I was doing several times during my 20 miles. The max RPM memory on the scan gauge said I had hit 6600+ RPM at some point. If your in warm flat country and do not need to run in snow or haul stuff buy the I4 with 2wd, you will be very happy at 30mpg hwy.
  • Options
    fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    only 4cyl. so far. try naperville toyota
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    why can Toyota report "22 MPG" if the reality is it will get a lot less?

From your question I don't think you understand that the Mfg'r do not determin the MPG rating. That is done by the E.P.A. They have some goofy method of calculating these numbers that is not based upon real life driving conditions.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    EAP is just that an estimate (this is usually stated on the brochure and in the manual). It's determined by a government approved method that all manufacturers use. Optimum gas mileage is only something that may be attained when driving under ideal conditions (that's with every vehicle). Agressive driving styles, improper maintenance, not following break-in procedures and severe weather conditions (even installing a car starter) can adversely affect gas consumption. I would at least wait until a vehicle has been broken-in with a few miles on it before determining what kind of gas mileage to expext on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Amen that!
  • Options
    This web site seems to have all the info we need except the exact wires to splice into. Should be pretty basic stuff.

Pictures and panel removal sketches are here.
    http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2683

The web is so handy! Sure glad Al Gore took the time out to invent it.
  • Options
    silverphxsilverphx Member Posts: 41
    I guess that leads to another question: is the estimated MPG the estimated MPG under "normal" driving conditions (whatever that is)? Or, rather, is the estimated MPG considered the "optimum" gas mileage under only the best circumstances? Just curious. Although I, like others, am always a little skeptical about the reported estimated MPGs, I am not so cynical to think that the MPGs are, or will be, too far off the mark---I would imagine the manufacturers would put some pressure on the EPA to get it close to right otherwise their customer base may backlash somewhat.
  • Options
    This site info is even better.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2714
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Did you miss that he said he drove it hard with full throttle acceleration?
    You only can expect to get the EPA mileage by driving conservatively. If you use the V6's extra power, you do not get mileage close to the 4 cylinder despite what the sticker says.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I really can't describe it any better. The only thing I can add is that it's impossible to get it 100% accurate, reguardless which method is used (not everyone drives the same way or uses their vehicle in the same fashion). Little things like letting the car warm up on cold days or just allowing a vehicle to idle (justified or not) can also alter gas consumption. These are just a couple more examples of the many factors that affect the MPG. I don't know how there can be any backlash when the MPG estimate information is clearly explained.

Another good example where an estimate is just that "an estimate" is with brake wear. Individuals that race to stop signs and red lights and apply the brake pedal forcefully all the time will require brake work or repairs more frequently than those that do the opposite.

I guess I'm just cheap, I hate spending money for nothing. For better gas mileage, I try to avoid quick starts from a complete stop or racing my car. To make the brakes last longer, I try to avoid quick stops. I look as far ahead as I can to try and time traffic light changes (I coast to the corner if possible). At stop signs I apply only the force required to bring the vehicle to a complete stop (like stepping on egg shells). I'm not recommending anything to anyone. This is just my driving style.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    why can Toyota report "22 MPG" if the reality is it will get a lot less? What's up with that

Its a Federal Law from back in the 80's I believe. The only figures an automaker can state are the EPA test figures. Nothing else.

For info: The city test is done at an average speed of 28 mph with several stops at ~75 deg with no AC on a what would be a dead level road in San Diego.

The Hwy test is done at an avg speed of 48 mph!!!

BTW... most vehicles fail to get EPA tests values by a large margin.

From the Hybrid forums this subject has been beaten to death .. but we are all a lot smarter now about how the tests are done, what factors invluence FE and what we as drivers can to to optimse FE.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Most cars meet and exceed the EPA highway ratings when driven on long road trips.
  • Options
    hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    You have to remember, the EPA estimates are mainly used for
    comparison only. As inaccurate as they are, they
    are
    done the same way for every vehicle. So, even if you
    don't get anywhere near the city mileage figure (which more
    accurately represents your "average" mileage), an estimated 20 mpg will do better than one estimated at 16 mpg (for example).

• Options
    Good thinking!
  • Options
    martymacgyvermartymacgyver Member Posts: 30
    Thank you all, that's very helpful info! I'll be looking into putting the mirror in myself, probably for less $$$ as well. :)
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Way back in '98, I ordered my '99 Corolla from a small dealer - I told them exactly what I wanted, and they told me it would be a 3 month wait. 3 months later, I got the car, exactly the way I ordered it. It is an LE 5 speed, with ABS, alloys, and a few other abnormal options.
  • Options
    If you look at that site you will notice there is a link for a better price on the mirrors that the guy arranged. So you can get dimming, compass and Homelink for $195 I think instead of $275 at most web sites.
  • Options
    Yep, I found that too. I'll probably get the 50-GENK45 since the temp gauge is already present. $100+ less than getting it as a port option, and $200+ less than dealer installed... not bad! :) It'll help offset the cost of the nav system I ordered. :D
  • Options
    Ugh... there may be a problem with this after all. My Rav4 will NOT have a moonroof (too little headroom with it) and WILL have side curtain airbags. From what I've read, unless there's a harness up on top that's got ACC power this mirror may be impossible to install safely.

Any comments?
  • Options
    Well don't forget you have the overhead lights on that same panel up there with power so if any of that is connected to the key switch your still ok.
  • Options
    little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    In the case of the RAV4, does MPG stand for "miles per gallon" or "miles per grand"? The RAV4 costs from 24000-30000 and the gas mileage is from 24-30. Sort of works out like that as applied to the RAV4. Coincidence or conspiracy? If only Agent Fox Mulder were available...but he only drove Fords didn't he.
  • Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    St Charles Toyota in St. Charles, IL

I got mine there.
  • Options
    beth10beth10 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone seen the green? Is it a nice shade? I'm about to order one and may stay on the safe side w/ beige or silver, but the green can look good on SUVs if it's the right shade--any opinions?
  • Options
    mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    Well, my 6 yr old son and I flew from Little Rock to Baltimore Saturday morning to pick up my wifes V6 4x4 Limited. We drove back 1100 miles and got back at noon Sunday...not bad.

The deal with Fitzmall was totally painless and actually a pleasure, what with no playing the salesman talking to the sales manager 14 times game, in addition to not having to fool with the financing department (all paperwork was done by Fedex the week before we went).

Briefly, the RAV4 is fantastic. It is powerful, smooth and quiet. I'm not sure why anyone would spend the same money or more on a Highlander, although I am aware the Highlander is a nice rig.

As far as the mileage, I discounted the first tank since it was not topped off when we picked it up. The next 2 tanks delivered 24 MPG, which I consider outstanding since I was driving around 75 MPH and trying as best I could to vary the RPM's for good break in. I would expect to get 26-27 easily if driving 65 MPH on a seasoned engine...pretty damn good considering the performance of the V6, which is substantial.

I never thought I would buy a car like this, but if you have a little time and don't mind a roadtrip, you can save some money. After our expenses, we still netted $1500; worth it, at least in our case.
  • Options
    I am going to purchase my V6 Rav tonight (assuming my wife likes it)---however, the dealer has included a "Doc Fee" and a "Lieu Tax" (which is separate from the sales tax. Anyone have any insight on whether these are negotiable and can be waived by the dealer? I am assuming they can be waived. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Glad to see the Fitzmall thing worked out well. The MPG sounds good. Good luck with it and keeps us posted on results.
  • Options
    soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    I am going from an '89 Suburban that gets 9-10 mpg to a V6 RAV4 so I would be happy with 18-20 mpg with my new ride.
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    The Green is very similar to what’s offered on the Camry and the Prius.....I would at least see one of the cars mentioned above before ordering, personally I like the Green the best....good luck!
  • Options
    yodllsyodlls Member Posts: 2
    If you have sat in a 06 RAV4, you know that the "3rd row seats" are seats in name only. I love this car, but no one under 6 or over 12 will ever be comfortable in those seats!
  • Options
    Finally bought a RAV4 Limited V6 Everglade 4x2. It included Moonroof, JBL upgraded stereo (9 spkrs), third row seat, side airbags, tow package, 6 spoke alloy wheels, wheel locks, rear bumper applique, auto-dimming mirror, and, of course--the best part--carpet floor mats. MSRP $28,848--got it for $27,342 ($1500 below MSRP--but still more than I would have liked to have paid). But considering every other dealer in the state (Arizona) is asking MSRP, I figured I got the best deal I could (at least at this time when demand is so high). I'd love to let you know how it handles, but I'm afraid my wife is never gonna' let me drive it!
  • Options
    wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    The "Doc fee", which should be $57.33 at all dealers (at least in Illinois), is non-negotiable and is indexed to inflation each year. I've never heard of a "Lieu Tax". A quick web search should get some answers on it.
  • Options
    Plus those seats add 300# to the back end of the truck and take up much of the normal room back there even when "stowed".
    If you don't really need them why pay $700 for it?
  • Options
    The Everglade Metallic (i.e., the Green) is my wife's favorite color of all of them. The best way I can describe it is its more like a lighter shade of a charcoal color with a tint of green placed in it. It definitely looks more charcoal color than green---but, in the right light, you can see the green hue to it. Its nice. I will tell you the Toyota Web site does not do any of the colors "justice" in my opinion.
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    A lieu tax is either 1. money that's charged in lieu of additional markup ... or 2. a tax that is charged for using the toilet :)
  • Options
    wijhwkwijhwk Member Posts: 7
    did you have to pay sales tax when you bought the car in baltimore? i am thinking of doing the same and i live in wisconsin.
  • Options
    Well I would say $1500 off MSRP is a pretty good deal! Good luck with it.
  • Options
    I had talked to them and you pay the sales tax for your state. Not MD
  • Options
    orioninilorioninil Member Posts: 39
    Not that I am sticking up for Toyota's webpage, but it is usually your computer monitor that doesn't do justice to the image, not the other way around.
  • Options
    Trust me, the actual cars are nothing like the website and I looked at the website with the monitor my wife uses to do photos and win ribbons.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Do you have the 225/65/17 tires and are they Integrity? If so how are they for noise and comfort?
  • Options
    gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "It definitely looks more charcoal color than green---but, in the right light, you can see the green hue to it. Its nice."

That's exactly how I would describe it--good job Silver. In fact, depending on the time of day/weather it can easily pass for gray. beth may be driving past them all the time and not noticing. The website colors are terrible, which is why, as an artist, I'm not much enamored of any color reproduction on the web (of course, it's no worse than poor printing), particularly when the file sizes are small. Best to see if you can check out the real thing on a lot.

Gogiboy

ps it's my favorite color too, despite Terry's axiom about no-sale green and blue.

Gogiboy
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info; I'm going w/ the Everglade. I've been looking for that color at several dealers for weeks; no luck yet, so your input is very helpful.
  • Options
    Great alternative to a minivan for those of us who need to haul around 5-10 year-olds! I'm thrilled it's an option.
  • Options
    marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Could I ask a rating on the handling,acceleration, cornering ability, and braking of your new RAV?
  • Options
    If its any help, when I initially thought of Everglade green, I thought of that VERY bright and VERY green color that the new Volkswagen Beetles have come in over the last couple of years. Rest assured that Everglade Metallic in the RAV is absolutely nothing like that at all. When I first saw it driving on the street next to me, I thought--that's kind of a nice looking light charcoal color---then, as it traveled down the street in front of me, I could see a green hue sort of coming out of it. The color is not like some of those other colors on cars that, IMO, kind of seem "cool" for a year or two and then, after a year or so, you look at the color and think "What the heck were they thinking with that color" (i.e., the bright yellow Nissan X-Terras or the bright green Volkswagen beetles). This color (i.e., Everglade) definitely will still be "cool" 10 years down the road and will have no problem reselling.
  • Options
    Sorry--I didn't look at the tires that close---I'll try to look at them closer the next time I see it (if my wife ever stops driving it). I know they are 17" tires and I know the name on the tire was something like "Yokomata"---(or something like that). For what its worth, the ride seemed very smooth and pretty darn quiet (although, I still think the Highlander is a little quieter and a little smoother in my opinion). Also, keep in mind that I drive a Honda Civic--so most cars I drive seem a fair amount quieter than my non-quiet Honda.
  • Options
    mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    The handling is very good considering how high it sits up, compared to the 1999 Accord it replaced. You can pretty well fly around corners, but you do have to be mindful that it is not a sedan. The steering is MUCH better than the Accord, with a quicker ratio, tight turning circle and the small, fat steering wheel to hold on to.

The brakes are fine...good pedal feel and reasonably short stopping distances. No complaints at all.

The acceleration? This thing is a rocketship. No need to mash the throttle to go, simply toe it and you're gone. Give it a little goose going 70 and you are literally at 90 in just a few seconds.

All in all, a most impressive package, much better than I anticipated. I was hoping my wife wouldn't like it so I could drive it...no luck there. My 2005 Mazda 3, which seemed perfectly fine before I left, now seems like an underpowered coal-cart.
  • Options
    martin15martin15 Member Posts: 4
    "Most cars meet and exceed the EPA highway ratings when driven on long road trips. "

I don't think so. I have a 2000 Honda Civic HX which the EPA says I'd get 44 hwy. After 75,000 miles, and calculating MPG every fill up, I have never gotten above 41 MPG and have only gotten 40+ MPG on about 4 occasions. I have gotten mid 20's all highway driving more often than I get 40+ as EPA would estimate. My average is probably in the low 30's for hwy driving.

When I've driven friends cars on trips we've never achieved EPA MPG estimates either.

I'd expect the 4 cylinder 4x4 Rav4 real world MPG to be around 15-24 based on the EPA numbers and reports here.
  • Options
    hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    As near as I can tell, I'm in the real world (most of the time anyhow). I've been averaging low to mid 20's with mixed driving (hi-way & in town). Others have gotten 30
    mpg on highway trips as long as they didn't go 75-80 mph.
    The V6 would probably be within a few mpg of the I4 on the highway and mid to upper teens (city).
    Of course YMMV!
    ------------------