Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Hey, good for you! Don't know where your located but www.fitzmall.com has two in stock and 4 coming. I am in NY so there are an easy trip for me. All are about $500 over invoice. One limited is $2k over but that is usually an error for them and they eventually come down.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I understand the theory of physics and I don't a lesson. All I asked for was documented "real life" proof of your claim.
  • Options
    mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    The pricing on the Limited V6 must be an error. The one we bought from them (Limited V6 4x4) was $2000 off MSRP and the one on there now is only $369 less than MSRP. Or V6 demand might dictate the higher price...don't know. Ours came in Tuesday and I'm flying out Saturday morning to get it.

BTW, I'm with you on the V6...screw the gas mileage!
  • Options
    flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    nope. Not a FWD version its a 4wd Limited version.
  • Options
    I think it is an error or they are just trying it on for size with a limited. The other 3 V6s are $500 over invoice.

Ok so your gonna be the first living human that we know of here who will drive a V6 a long distance at highway speeds so you can give us a real gas mileage input in a week or two!
    Enjoy your new RAV4 V6 and keep us posted.
    Jim D

PS Forget all this technical stuff on mpg and wear etc. I heard the V6 comes witha bottle of sake hidden in the jack compartment. Check it out!
  • Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    you: All I asked for was documented "real life" proof of your claim.

me: well as you understand physics, and thus a science, you remember that the one of the reasons for teaching scientific laws is so the principles can be generally applied.

If you want to see specific data on engine MTBF (mean time between failure) from a specific manufacturer see if you can google that. I certainly don't want to waste time presenting data from a source you don't think is valid. It sounds like though you're not looking for general scientific proof that more rpms create more stress and wear. Let us know what engr. studies you find; especially if they say a 4 cyl. engine has equal or better MTBF. Until then we'll trust scientific principles that more motion and wear are worse for the life of an engine.
  • Options
    I think this forum needs a one week moratorium on the words MTBF,wear, MPG and the like.
    Give it a rest guys! Yikes
  • Options
    This will be my last post on the subject. Studies are just that, "studies". I have far more faith in actual and factual experiences (it's real). There is nothing like the real thing (Moving Forward). Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Options
    ssoomanssooman Member Posts: 7
    if i don't encounter snow and i am not hauling anything, would'nt a front wheel drive be sufficient? and what is the real purpose of a 4 wheel drive anyway.
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    So explain how something that doesn't move and, in fact, has no moving parts can wear thin.

I'm talking about my patience ... give it a rest :)
  • Options
    If you don't need the extra traction afforded by 4WD then you're absolutly correct front wheel drive will do the job. Slightly better MPG as a bonus.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The history of 4WD is that it was highly advantagous on an adverse, slick, roadbed surface, or in the extreme out somewhere in the toolies, to distribute the engine drive torque across four surface contact patches instead of two. A secondary issue was to be sure more than one wheel always retained a high level of engine drive torque even if the other(s) had no or very little surface traction.

Think about what happens when it rains after a long period of dry weather. The streets end up coated with weeks of motor oil droppings and water. Very little roadbed adhesion for your tires to grip with. If you wish to accelerate quickly from a standing stop having the engine torque distributed over all four contact patches will always yeild more effective traction, more effective than FWD or RWD alone.

But then again AWD/4WD can have negative aspects also. If, in the above circumstance, accelerating briskly on an oil and water coated surface, you happen to need to turn suddenly/quickly, it would be nice to negate all of that engine drive torque and allocate your entire roadbed traction coefficient to lateral, directional control.

That's where some of the new, latest, AWD system designs come into play. The new Lexus GS & IS AWD system will reapportion engine drive or engine braking torque due to compression if the VSC's yaw sensor indicates lateral forces are building to the point of "breakaway", the front tires contact patch cannot support both lateral and longitunal forces simultaneously.

Another good reference is the new Acura RL and upcoming RDX AWD system. Acura, of all the marques I never expected would abandon FWD, is apparently now in the process.

Even the Volvo XC90 and teh Ford Freestyle have new, stellar, outstanding, AWD systems. These systems automatically reallocate the majority of engine torque to the rear as you enter a turn/curve and then begin reapportioning engine drive torque to the front as you reach and pass the apex of the turn/curve.

Looks to me like patently unsafe FWD and front biased AWD might become obsolete within a decade.
  • Options
    It appears that you're addressing the wrong person. Incidentally, my previous post indicated that I would give it a rest. I didn't start this conversation. I was only responding to it. It was never my intention to offend anyone. As long as we don't attack anyone personally, I thought this was something we were able to do.
  • Options
    wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    I too, was thinking "Why do I need 4WD". Even in the Chicago suburbs, I drive in snow only a few times a year and have only got stuck in the driveway. Then someone mentioned traction in rain and I realized that my 1999 Camry 5 speed stick FWD is pathetic with traction in rain or even on dry roads with salt residue on them. On dry roads with salt residue, my front wheels will spin if I floor it in second gear at 30 MPH. It's embarrasing trying to pull out onto a road and then have the wheels spin so easily, even if I start in second gear. I decided to buy the RAV4 AWD. It's about $1800 more than FWD, but I think it will be worth it.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Maybe better tires, traction control and not "flooring it" on slick pavement is also a solution.
  • Options
    bill119bill119 Member Posts: 17
    One more reason that I chose the AWD V FWD. I live in the city with no driveway. I no longer will need to shovel out 4 or 5 spaces before the snow melts in order to park my car. Now lazy people will need to deal with their own spaces rather than relying on me to shovel out half the block so I have place to park my car. I also agree with Wizzobutter. I have to turn right onto a steep hill with fast moving traffic, and it can get scary with a FWD car when you do need to pull out abruptly. When I pull out it is reassuring to know that I will actually going where I want to go rather than just spinning wheels and wondering if I am going to get T boned. :shades:
  • Options
    prash1prash1 Member Posts: 32
    V6 vs 4 cyl...is one quieter than the other?
    Which engine has more buzz when accelerating ?
  • Options
    you: I drive in snow only a few times a year and have only got stuck in the driveway.

me: Now many people will just be of the opinion that you should just learn to shovel, and forget about the AWD/4WD. But if I can have more capability from the vehicle, and don't need to get out and shovel - great. If you have to get somewhere in a hurry, shoveling may prevent you from getting there in time.
    I have a 450' dirt driveway, and in a 15"+ snowstorm it takes me about an hour to snowblow it. Or I have the option of hopping in my wife's Silverado, putting it in 4Lo and using the engine power to bulldoze thru and over the snow.

When it snows where I live, help can be about as available as if you were on a roof in New Orleans this Fall. You're on your own if you need to get out somedays. Seeing the incompetence and fallibility :sick: of our government several times in the last few years, I hope many of you will start realizing you need to be prepared to take care of yourselves and neighbors in any sort of emergency.
  • Options
    you: V6 vs 4 cyl...is one quieter than the other?

me: I'd never know, because I'd get a decent stereo.

you: Which engine has more buzz when accelerating ?

me: Well since the V-6 will substantially out-accelerate the 4-cyl, if all you want to do is accelerate at the 4-cylrate, the V-6 really shouldn't be revving that much. I'd guess half-throttle would accelerate the same as the 4-cyl floored.
    I have a Magnaflow cat-back on my Firebird and you should consider similar if you don't like the sound of the vehicle - get some mild rumble. Yeah baby! (Just watching Austin Powers in his Shaguar) :)
  • Options
    Relax Pet. It was just good natured kidding. When the thought crossed my mind I struck me as funny. If I offended you I apologize. I was going for humor not a dig.
  • Options
    oldfeetoldfeet Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed quotes from other dealers on the extended warranty and the price is really attractive vs. my local dealer ($805 vs $1400). Can I buy the warranty from any dealer and have the coverage locally? For example, I purchase the 7/100 platinum from Toyota of Greenfield, MA and I live in NC? :confuse:
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes it's from Toyota it has nothing to do with the dealer, he's just the delivery man.
  • Options
    silverphxsilverphx Member Posts: 41
    Just out of curiosity, what is the standard warranty on teh V6 RAVs? How many years?
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    All Toyota's except hybrids,
    3/36 basic
    5/60 powertrain
    5/unlimited rustthrough
    plus emissions warranties
  • Options
    LOLOL that WAS a good one.. heh heh
  • Options
    It is my understanding that you can buy the extended warrranty anytime during the 3/36 basic warranty period. You do not have to buy it upfront.
    Anyone know for sure?
  • Options
    BTW- this is what the new Rav does too. In fact even better. More so that Lexus is gonan base they new suv in 2 years on the rav..

***That's where some of the new, latest, AWD system designs come into play. The new Lexus GS & IS AWD system will reapportion engine drive or engine braking torque due to compression if the VSC's yaw sensor indicates lateral forces are building to the point of "breakaway", the front tires contact patch cannot support both lateral and longitunal forces simultaneously.***
  • Options
    Actually, it was a good one. Peter.
  • Options
    This is the only negative review of the 4 cyl I have seen so far...from Edmunds.
    Date Posted
    02/03/2006 Don't Buy 4 Cyl 4WD by Rob1975
    Style: Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A) Rating 7.5

Review: When I read the reviews last fall, this sounded like a great vehicle. The dealer didn't have any RAVs in stock when I ordered, but I figured the pre-delivery test drive would indicate if I would be happy with it. What a huge mistake and disappointment. I should have test driven where I drive daily. I live in the mountains of Northern AZ (Flag, Prescott area), but I thought 166 horsepower should be adequate in a smaller vehicle. The transmission constantly downshifts on practically every uphill section, which of course is ruining my mileage. Even trying to maximize economy after 1500 miles I have yet to average 20 mpg for even one tank. Not worth $25K for a 4 cyl. Spend the extra $ for V6.
    Favorite Features: Very comfortable and great attention to detail. Typical excellent Toyota quality.
    Suggested Improvements: Don't buy the 4 cylinder if you will be doing any mountain driving and/or will carry a full load. You'll be disappointed both with the performance and the mileage. Toyota should drop the 4 cyl and make a smaller V6 with at least 200 hp and more torque the standard engine.
    Was this review helpful? Yes No

Let us know if this review is offensive. Back to top
    Ratings Detail
    Performance 5.0

Comfort 9.0

Fuel Economy 5.0

Fun-to-Drive 5.0

Interior Design 9.0

Exterior Design 9.0

Build Quality 9.0

Reliability 9.0

Rating 7.5
  • Options
    tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    Does not have to be bought upfront, even though some dealers want you to believe that. The extended warranty cost is negotiable, so get quotes from more than one Toyota dealer.
  • Options
    This guy obviously has a problem with his Rav. We took our to the Poconos (ALL MOUNTAINS) 2 weeks ago and the 4 never even breathed hard on the long up hills. Not even close..
  • Options
    Yes but he is at 7000 feet I think in Denver, not 500-1000 like PA. That 7000 feet will make a big difference. A non turbo 4 may well be the wrong engine for that location.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but like the Ford Escape the new RAV4 is FWD until the driven wheels slip and then the rear driveline is coupled in.
  • Options
    edavis008edavis008 Member Posts: 5
    I want one like this. Where did you get it? I want the 3rd row seats also, but I am told that they are not sold in the Gulf Coast region with both a sunroof and 3rd row seats. You have to choose one or the other. :confuse:
  • Options
    Is this a 4x4 or a 4x2?
  • Options
    My understanding is that if you want leather (like "sooperedd"), you cannot get the third row seat. If you want leather with 3rd row, you will have to get added afterwards.

I am purchasing a Limited with Moonroof and a 3rd row seat. SO I know (at least out West), you can get both options. I cannot imagine why any region would not offer the option of 3rd row seat if you are also getting a moonroof? I don't see the connection between the two?
  • Options
    My Houston dealer tells me that in the Gulf Coast region I can not get a Limited with both a sunroof and 3rd row seats. I can only get one or the other of these options. Does anyone know if this is true nationwide? :confuse:
  • Options
    I understand that the 3rd row seats do not come in leather, but you can still get leather for the other seats. I don't care of the 3rd row is leather - I expect them to be folded down most of the time anyway. ;)
  • Options
    If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting your vehicle and what is the pricing like?
  • Options
    I have found that it is not good to use buyer logic to Toyota option availability. In NY you cannot get a Sport with side curtain bags but in MD you can. With time seems, more options and models are added to various regions. If you do not need the car right away, probably you will be able to get what you want. And maybe at a better price.
  • Options
    I'm getting it out West for 1500 to 1600 below MSRP. The dealer is just splitting the difference between invoice and MSRP. Every other dealer (and I'm talking about the internet fleet departments) I have dealt with in this state is going strictly with MSRP.
  • Options
    soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    I didn't get the 3rd row seat because I got leather. Did get the moonroof. We already have a small 7 seater anyway (Mitsubishi Expo). Great car, by the way. It is my Mini Minivan.
    Ordered my RAV at Libery Toyota in Colorado Springs.
  • Options
    soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    4x4
  • Options
    richmtl2richmtl2 Member Posts: 6
    I did some comparatives on pricing, and either the US is getting great deals on most models or Canadians are taking it up the ... ever since the dollar has climbed.

Generally speaking across the Toyota lineup we're paying between 10% and 20% more than the US after factoring in the current exchange rate.

There was a big scandal at the Quebec gov't run liquor board because they were caught manipulating the exchange rates, but the car companies seem to be much worse.

At Audi Canadians pay a 14% premium for 4WD compared to an 8% premium for 2WD

Subaru is even worse with 20% premium on the WRX and Honda has a 13% additional markup on an SI with Aero and 18" wheels.

The new VW GTI gap starts at 14% for the base but when you add some extras it drops to 7%

Given the free trade laws I think it's at the point where it might cost less to import the car from the US rather than buying at a Canadian dealership.

rich

PS - don't give me the line about supply and demand. This is the corporate machine exploiting the under informed consumer.
  • Options
    yea Jim that is correct.. Maybe the 6 would be better for his altitude..
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My guess is that the warranty wouldn't follow you north of the US border. Check these discussions out:

Importing Car into Canada from US

Canadian Car Buying (for Canadian Consumers)

Down here you also get invoice pricing free from Edmunds and other sites. Up there you gotta pay for this info.

On the other hand, I'm about 14 hours from the nearest Tim Hortons....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    richmtl2richmtl2 Member Posts: 6
    Someone should set up a site that tracks the price of a car relative to their currency.

The globalization frenzy is leaving consumers no means to determine the value of their goods.

How can an item costing 3$ to manufacture and land retail for 120$?

rich

- perhaps I will...
  • Options
    gpurkgpurk Member Posts: 13
    We shopped a lot and found the best deal in Hutchinson, KS at Midwest Toyota for $500 over invoice if you order one.

Very friendly and willing to work with you.

One dealer said selling at MSRP even when ordered and would not deal.

Shop around.
  • Options
    highaltitudehighaltitude Member Posts: 8
    I live at 8,000ft and the 4cyl does just fine. It does down shift more going up inclines compared to my F150 w/5.4L V8 but I haven't found it to be a bother. The 4cyl is not lacking in overall power, it just needs to down shift a little more and take advantage of the gearing. Coming out of Denver up the I70 West, I can accellerate up the grade faster then my truck. I haven't pushed it, which means I am not flooring it by any means, because the car is pretty new but with out any effort I can easily hit 80MPH and I normally cruise up it at 70mph. It has much more acelleration going up then my truck. I am very shocked with how well the 4cyl does. I thought it was going to work a lot harder and be on the sluggish side but that is not the case at all. Toyota has definitely matched up the tranny/gearing/engine perfectly.

The V6 must absolutely fly.

First couple tanks of gas, combined highway/city/mountain roads (lots of hills), I have gotten 25MPG. I have no doubt that strict highway would be close to 30MPG.
  • Options
    martymacgyvermartymacgyver Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone have any experience with shipping a new vehicle from out of state? I'm thinking about it but I'd like to know the pros and cons and who you recommend. The price of an open carrier is tempting (versus driving it home myself). The price of an enclosed carrier (often double that of an open one) is prohibitive. I worry about damage along the way (i.e., rocks, etc.) It'd be much cheaper to fly out there and drive it home and I'll probably do that... but it'd be good to know the details about this alternative anyway.

Note this would NOT be via dealer-to-dealer trade or anything (that turned out to be impossible, and that was after a whole lot of digging into the issue).

Regards,
    M