Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• Hey guys, I'm looking to lease a 2008 528i and I'm trying to make sense of all of the different terms. This will be my first time leasing a car so I'm trying to be prepared to make sure I get a good deal. Could someone provide me with the rates on a 528i for November, or let me know where you go to find this info? Thanks!
  • Welcome harrisment. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

I have not had an opportunity to take a look at BMW's new November lease program yet, but I suspect that I will in the next day or two. If you still need the program information that you mentioned, please post a reminder for me in this discussion in a day or two and I'll let you know what I have been able to find out.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • drgumsdrgums Posts: 51
    **** I already pre -ordered my 2009 535XI that is now at the dealer waiting for me to take delivery. However, I want to wait until the November BMW lease programs come out today or tomorrow.

My deal was predicated on the Sept/ Oct rates for a returning customer.

I was hoping that "Car Man" could help me with this information so I can renegotiate my deal for better rates and monthly payments.

Will the owner loyalty come back? residuals? Premium credits of any kind? Money factor changes for the better?

I appreciate any help.....thank you
  • Hi drgums. I don't believe that BMW introduced any owner loyalty offers or dealer cash on the 2009 5-Series for the month of November. Through the end of the year, BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 BMW 535xi with 15,000 miles per year are .00175 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • Thanks for info everyone. I love this site. Here is the deal I got:

2008 528xi - 12k miles - 36months lease
    car had 5k miles on it, it was demo.
    sticker was 52k but they sold it for 43k to me.
    put down 3200total.. 2500cap cost, 1st month and plates/dmv fees.
    payment $505/month
    got a full tax credit! which saved 4k off the bat.

Was it a good deal? I spent 6hrs at the dealer beating them down.

Took ALLOT of time to get them to go down. actually told them when i was in the finance room getting ready to sign the contracts that I changed my mind and would come back after looking around, at that time the payment was $530, so they changed it to 505$ and I signed and left.
  • Hi Car_man and all the experts here,
    My lease for the 06 530i is about to end in December. I need some expert advise on what to do next:
    1. Buy the car through dealer or BMWFS? who will give me a better deal?
    2. What is the best rate for finance the car, if I decided to buy, BMWFS or ...?

Please advise asap, since I don't have much time for the lease.
    Thanks in advance!
  • hey car man,

hoping to get the mf and residuals for 10k mi/yr for 36 months on a 2008 528i.

thanks!
  • yatzeyatze Posts: 33
    Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I have approached 3 dealers including my own and none of them are interested. They said they don't buy back cars. Any other suggestions?
  • jnkohjnkoh Posts: 23
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on leasing a used 5 series. I have a lease on my car coming due in May. I know it s a long time from now, but I like to plan ahead. I was thinking about leasing a new 3 series bmw or C class Mercedes. But after looking at the two I would like to get something a little bigger. I started thinking about leasing used. I was wondering how I can calculate the lease for a used CPO 5 series. I understand how to do this for a new car lease, but have never leased used. What MSRP would I use, KBB value? And how would I get the residual and money factor for a used car? I am guessing this will be lender and dealer specific.
    I was hoping to get some ballpark numbers to see if leasing a 1 or 2 year old 5 series would be the same payment as leasing a new 3 series.
  • I haven't seen or received a reply yet to my request for info on lease terms available for '09 335 or 535. I'm in Dallas, TX area. Any help available out there? It would be much appreciated.
  • drgumsdrgums Posts: 51
    I got a 2009 535i with i drive

$740 per month....taxes upfront

36 months....15K miles per year

car sold $100 over invoice

November money factor better...
  • Idea: Google "November 2008 bmw lease rates"

For now, here are the rates:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324865

this site is useful to compute the lease payment:

http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm
  • I appreciate the helpful resources - thanks!
  • That sounds like a great price re: invoice! Thanks for the info.
  • jvostjvost Posts: 31
    Hmmm... This deal doesn't calculate. Assuming the current MF of .00125 and a residual of 57%, the capitalized cost of the car was $46,900.

$43,000 would yield a payment of $392.47 assuming a $2500 cap cost reduction.

Not sure where the other $3,900 went. Was an acquisition fee added to the $43K? Did they reduce the residual below 57% because of the miles? What was the MF?
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Guys,
    I have learned a lot from these forums. I just read the Edmunds "10 Steps..." and I still can't figure out, why would you choose to lease a car, if at the end of the procedure, you are left with nothing, and you n eed to start all over again? After two cycles of that, you would have paid off a car. Why doesn't the prospect of permanent car payments, plus the down payment on a lease which is never recovered, be attractive? Can a single person with out a business reason for the car, get a tax deduction off FedINc Taxes? I don't think so. Just curious, I'm trying to learn more, and thanks so much. I've really gotten a lot out of these forums. Amazing depth of knowledge displayed here, my hat is off to you!
    Gardis in CT
    gardis72@gmail.com
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,262
    If you want a new car every three years and want no repair issues and want no hassles with trade-ins, you can lease. As edmunds explains it is almost always more expensive to lease vs buy if you pay off the car and drive it long enough. To summarize, it's a personal choice. Nothing related to buying or leasing new cars makes any real financial sense anyway.
  • Hi bimmerdude. If you are considering purchasing your 5-Series at lease-end, definitely deal directly with BMW Financial Services rather than the dealer. Your car's official end-of-term purchase price is listed on your lease contract. From time to time, some banks will negotiate with consumers and offer them a lower purchase price than the one that their lease was based on. There's no guarantee that BMW FS will do this for you, but give it a shot...you don't have anything to lose. I'm not sure what sort of special finance rates BMW FS is offering consumers to buy their leased vehicles right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • Here you go, twodomes. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 528i with 10,000 miles per year are .00100 and 58%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    The lease is up on my 2005 330Cic very shortly and I was contacted by BMWFS who offered to sell it to me for the stated residual of $31,353 (original MSRP was $49,900).

Shortly thereafter I was contacted by my local dealer, who suggested that they would sell it to me for much less than the residual. I contacted the dealer who offered to sell it to me for $23,800 and, if I wanted, would certify (the CPO) program for additional $1900, assuming it didn't need any work (it doesn't). In addition, because it was now a CPO vehicle, I would be entitled to 60 month financing at 3.9%.

This deal seems pretty attractive to me, though I was shocked at how little similar vehicles are selling for on ebaymotors. I may yet buy it, although I have already committed to leasing a 2008 535iX (delivery in a few days), the terms of which I will put in a separate post.
  • That is a huge drop from the stated residual. However, that doesnt mean it is a good deal as you need to determine the true value of the car.

Either way, sounds like you are stuck with the 535 lease already setup.
    Thanks to bmw's big miscalculation on the residual in your lease --- the financial winner and current champion is ------ you jvost. Congratulations!!!!
  • If you wanted to lease a CPO 2006 5 Series Sedan (for arguments sake, one with a $50,000 MSRP), what would it cost? According to this forum in the fall of 2005, the residual would be 59-60% at this point. If I wanted a 3yr/36k lease, what would I be looking at? How much residual would there be for years 4-6? With the current market, aren't used cars worth even less they thought they would be at this point? I am trying to decide whether to get a 2009 Accord EX V6, 2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL, or the 2006 BMW 5 Series (a little more curb appeal). I live in northern NJ.
    Thanks
    add the 09 maxima sv with premium package to your list and check it out. It's a boutique with stones on wheels. Great deals too. there are 10 certified 5 series 06 on ebay from 30-35k. 20-45k miles. the maxima sv lists out at 37 but you can get them here for 1-2k under invoice or 32-33. They also have a sport package with firmer handling.
    You're right jayrider - whether I buy the car or not, I'm clearly way, way better off than I would have been had I purchased this car instead of leased it.

Smithsonga - I'm not "stuck" with the 535 lease - I want it. I'm considering keeping the 2005 330Cic as an extra car. $25,700 for a CPO car with 3.9% financing is pretty darned attractive. Non cpo cars are selling for about the same price on ebaymotors and don't come with 3.9% financing.
    O.K. Here's the lease deal I was able to work out on a 2008 535iX. I take delivery on Friday. I've leased 5 BMW's in the last 9 years and I can tell you that BMW dealers are the toughest out there. You have work these guys really, really hard over a couple of weeks to get the right deal. It's absolutely necessary that you make them compete against each other.

The car is equipped as follows:

Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Xenon Lights
    Fold Down Rear Seats
    IPOD/USB
    Satellite Radio
    Parking Distance Control

The MSRP is $57,395.

I negotiated a sales price of $51,075
    (a discount of $6,320 or 11% off the MSRP. The guy on this forum who says you can get free premium package AND a 15% discount is delusional)

To this was added $725 Acquisition Fee and a $299 D & H Fee

Total Cap. Cost: $52,099
    Down Payment: $0
    Miles: 10,000
    Term: 36 mos
    Money Factor: .00125
    Residual: 58%
    Payment: $629.23 (Before Sales Tax)
    Security Deposit: Waived

I tried really hard to get them to lower the MF to the buy rate of .00115, to no avail. The other dealers in the area were were quoting .00135 or .00150 and I couldn't get them to budge. For some reason it's easier to get them to lower the price than the MF. (Maybe the finance guys make money on this part?)

In any event, I wanted to lower the payment a bit, so I decided to take advantage of BMW's multiple security deposit offer. Here's the way it works: For each refundable security deposit you post, up to a maximum of 7, they lower the Money Factor by .00007. This actually works out to be a pretty good deal. I decided to post 3, for a total of $1,950 ($650 X 3). This lowered my MF to .00104, which lowered my payment from $629.23 to $611.30, a monthly savings of $17.93 or $215.16 per year. This represents an 11% rate of return on my $1950 investment - about 10% better than I'm getting leaving it in the bank!

Finally, I'll get a check from the BMW Car Club of America for $1,000. For those who don't know, if you're a member in good standing for at least 12 month prior to the time you purchase or lease a new BMW you're entitled to this rebate. It costs just $40/ year to belong. Everyone should take advantage of this.
    The best post I have ever read re negotiating a lease. Don't think I'll go with a bmw in three years but if I do I'll be looking for your posts in november of 2010. Heck, I'll be looking for your posts no matter what I do. jvost.
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Guys, here's a deal I just heard of at a dealer in Westcheseter County, NY:
    Stk#91141 VIN#C153134 2009 528i xDrive Sedan
    Jet Black/Black Leatherette. Auto, Power Seats, Heated Seats, iPod/USB adapter, BMW assist w/ Bluetooth, Sunroof.
    MSRP$49,425. $2,500 down pymt+$725 bank fee+$550 sec. dep.+$525 1st payment = $4,300 due at signing + T/T/L. Ttl pymt/Res. $18,900/30,085.50
    36 months/10,000 miles per year. .20 cent over mileage
    subject to credit aproval and vehicle availability

How does this compare? I'm not leasing, I'm going to buy a CPO, but I thought you'd lilke this as a point of comparison. Good luck.
    You don't say what the capitalized cost is or if the payment includes sales tax, but if it doesn't include sales tax, it works out to about $3,000 off the MSRP, assuming the MF buy rate of .00175 and a 62% residual which are the rates for 36 mos., 10K. This is about $1K over invoice - not terrible for an '09, but not a killer deal either. Take out the $2500 down payment and the monthly payment is $594.65, just $30 less than the '08 535iX I describe above that costs nearly $8,000 more. If the $525 payment includes sales tax it's a better deal.
  • Just got quoted for a lease for a 528i 2009 BMW for $600 per month (36 months 10,000 miles) with zero down, with a $2,600 "inception fee" which includes the first month payment and the last payment on my X5 lease assumed by the BMW dealer which is $608. Does anyone think this is a good deal? I don't know much about the Money Factor process but the invoice is $47,000+. Also, I've been leasing from BMW for 6 years. Does anyone know about loyalty discounts or any such offers?
This discussion has been closed.