Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Dodge Ram Lighting and Electrical Problems

Comments

• Options
    colweekscolweeks Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, but it's with a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. What was the solution to your problem? Car dealer has quoted need to replace instrument panel cluster and re-program it. Parts and labor= $950!!! :cry: Is this a ripoff or a legit fix? :lemon:
  • Options
    dabehrdabehr Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I know this has been discussed over and over, but I am going to bring it up again because mine has something else to add. I can be driving down the road and it will cut out and all the gauges will die and I will get the "no bus" in the odometer like everyone else. The thing I have noticed with mine is that it only does it when it is warm out. Mine went all winter without having a problem and then as soon as it started to warm up it does it all the time. It first started last summer and then quit for the winter. Any suggestions or thoughts on this?? What would cause it to be fine during the winter and then as soon as it warms up it act up again. PLEASE HELP. Thanks..
  • Options
    tsiconquest88tsiconquest88 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same year and all my issues are the following but any of u guys figure anything out???
    My neighbor has a 99 ram pickup and he states that his truck will drive fine then starts buckin like crazy and the tranny acts funky too then shuts off and the digital odometer then shows "no bus" and the truck wont start for a while, but its intermittent and runs great when this dont happen, i was seeing if anyone knows of this and wut it is cus it seems like one of a common problems chrysler has anyway lol. Any info would be great, you can email me at tsiconquest88@hotmail.com if you choose.
  • Options
    shawno69shawno69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 dodge ram quad cab, the truck was parked for about 5 months due to a trans problem. We got the trans fixed, but now the lights are totally messed up (i know it has nothing to do with the trans work because I noticed the problem on my way to get the trans fixed, just figured it was bad bulbs)
    The headlight on the passenger side works, but not the drivers side. The high beam on the driver side works but not the passenger side. Both fog lights work. All passenger side tail lights work, but none of the driver side tail lights. All reverse lights work.

I have done the obvious, change bulbs, checked fuses (why is there no fuse for headlights anyone?), and cleaned all grounds.

Any suggestions???
  • Options
    zagam303zagam303 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out what caused this problem with the radio/mirror/dome light problem. I own a 99 dodge 1500 sport and went to adjust the mirrors and the radio and dome light as well as the mirrors themselves stopped working. I've torn apart my whole dash and door panels trying to find something. All of the fuses look fine. Anyone know what's going on?
  • Options
    ibtiggsibtiggs Member Posts: 23
    Not too sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes...

I bought my '03 cummins laramie about 2 weeks ago, with about 123,000k on it. The airbag light was on when I got it, but since I had extended warranty, I figured that the dealer would take care of it.

After taking the interior completely out of the truck, and tracing wiring for 5 hours, they came back to me with a damaged side airbag module, and a damaged side airbag. The module apparently is covered by warranty, but the airbag itself is not, to the tune of $1700.00!

My question is this... Is it normal for a airbag that is less than 5 years old, to suddenly be damaged (I know the previous owner, and it has been on for about 5 months), and if so, what could damage it? Could that fact that the truck has a remote start/alarm be the problem? (It was installed in 2005).

If anyone has had similar problems, or found a solution to this, I would be grateful.
  • Options
    kwalliskwallis Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but I just purchased a used 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 in great shape, only 81,000 miles. It drove fine the first day I got it (I drove about 100 miles), but then when I went to start it the second day, as I got in the car (before I started the engine), the hazard lights, radio panel and some other red light all started flashing at the same time. If you press the hazard button to turn the lights off, nothing happens. It doesn't matter if you are driving, if the engine is on or off, these devices just randomly begin flashing together, then stop for a minute or two, and then begin again. Any idea what this could be? I know nothing about this truck really, and the owner's manual did not come with, so I'm at a complete loss!
  • Options
    dodgeram3dodgeram3 Member Posts: 2
    when it goes out next time try to tap or softly punch the instrument cluster (gauges are) and if it fixs then it is a deffect in the instrument cluster. now some dealership technicians cant fix it cause they cant figure it out. i suggest that if my idea works that you should video tape it and show the dealership
  • Options
    dodgeram3dodgeram3 Member Posts: 2
    see you found the problem the key is resistance in the instrument cluster. im a technician for dodge it is a deffect that came in the instrument cluster seems that some of the sauder in the back of the circuit were bad that at times they dont contact and cause the problem. i suggest very carefully to take out the circuit board and take it to one of those places were they fix computers and ask if they can take a look at the back of the circuit board at the sauders (ask them to use a magnifying glass) and see if they see any bad sauders if they do ask them to fix it. and if that dosent work then i suggest you buy one at the dealership. REMINDER when handling the circuit ground yourself at all times. if it works let me know
    thanks
    technician
  • Options
    dodgefan99dodgefan99 Member Posts: 2
    Make this simple for everyone NO BUS gauges not working is a AGGERVATING [non-permissible content removed] PROBLEM. However when you fix it you'll kick your self for how easy it was and wont cost you but maybe 5.00. heres the basic your main fuse panel under the hood has a screw in it with a huge contact. that contact has gone bad/ dirty take out the screw blow out the contact with compressed air pack it with electrical grease put it back in put the screw in TIGHT HAND ONLY and watch all your gauges come back to life. I got a great mech here where i live and after 2 diff dealerships telling me buy a new cluster i knew someone was full of it. then one said my brain was dead . MINI NEWS FLASH IF YOUR BRAIN IN YOUR TRUCK IS DEAD YOUR TRUCK WILL NOT START! again very simple 30 mins fix had this problem off n on for 6 years in my 99 ram which i still have and drive on weekends mine is 1999 V-6 with a super chip i take out to joy ride. do what i said above an your problem will be solved. i haven't had another issue with mine in over 2 years and have gone about 14000 miles without gauges failing
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Once is plenty. Repeating the same post over and over is against the rules here.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    dodgefan99dodgefan99 Member Posts: 2
    i simply replied to several people with the same question so they wouldnt have to come back and search the forum again. As that will go to there inboxes on the watch list. little easier that way
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If they have subscribed to the discussion as most members do/have, they will know there is a new entry whether it's a reply to their post or not. They (as I) would have seen 4 consecutive identical posts, regardless of who they are in response to. When you want to make a general statement to everyone, just make a single "fresh" post with the appropriate subject line. Hitting "reply" to multiple individual posts and entering the same text several times appears as spamming the forum, and a search would bring up all of your posts together.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    panthrapanthra Member Posts: 3
    I KNOW IM IN THE WRONG PLACE BUT IM NEW AND CANT FIND MY PLACE YET.. ANYWAYS I HAVE A 93 DODGE DYNASTY 3.3 6 CYL. 200 SOMETHING MILES, CAR RUNS GOOD BUT WILL NOT SHIFT WHILE IM DRIVEING, I HAD IT PUT ON A DIANOSTIC COMPUTER TEST AND MY CAR HAD NO WHAT SO EVER COMMUNICATION WITH IT AT ALL, TRANNY FLUID IS GOOD, MY CAR IS RIGGED WITH A TOGGLE SWITCH FOR MY HEATER LOL IF THAT CAN CAUSE THIS TO HAPPEN SOMETHING ELECTRICAL, FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AT MADVAMPGODDESS@ATT.NET
    THANK YOU
  • Options
    heatheheathe Member Posts: 1
    I saw ur post to the Amanda problem and I am experiencing the same problem as her. I turn the key and don't get any sounds and the truck won't start. Mind you I have changed my starter , put new battery and just recently change the Ignition Relay. I still have the problem. My truck is a 1999 Ram 1500. Any suggestions...????????????
  • Options
    spikey401spikey401 Member Posts: 1
    stupid i know, it was 5 in the morning. truck starts and runs fine, radio works but i cant use the cd player anymore, the interior lights work but the head lights dont, what should i do?? I checked all the fuses in the fuse box on the inside of the engine compartment, all are good, is there another one im missing?
    i have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 laramie
  • Options
    spidy195spidy195 Member Posts: 1
    the other day my dodge magnum was fine now today all the interior lights will not work , the radio is out, and just a few minetes ago it would not start just a click click click sound what is goin on please can anyone help.oh it is also a laramie slt v-8 .thanks
  • Options
    aleydicaleydic Member Posts: 1
    when i hit the brake on my dodge Ram 1500 there is a dinging alarm that goes off i am wondering how i can reset the alarms in my truck, thank you
  • Options
    waterdoctor2waterdoctor2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Ram 1500 with the towing package. I want to transfer the elect. brake controller from my old truck to this one, but can't for the life of me find the connector under the dash. Not only that, I need the wire colors to identify which connections to use to connect the controller to. Can anybody help?
    Thanks in advance - Waterdoctor :confuse:
  • Options
    moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    if it is not a newer Dodge controller. it will not work with new truck. you will have to get one from dealer. any other one will mess with computer & antilock brakes. you are asking for trobule if you try to cut wires.
  • Options
    kevlawkevlaw Member Posts: 1
    Is the wait to start light on the instrument panel supposed to illuminate as a bulb test when turning the ignition to the ON position? The owner's manual states that it is, but when I took it to the dealer they said it only lights up when the engine is below a certain temperature. Any help on this is appreciated.
  • Options
    dirtmover69dirtmover69 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 05 ram 1500 Qcab 4x4. bought new.I got new clear housings w/coloured led lights for birthday and when installed they stay on even when truck is off.when turn signal is on they act like strobe lights randomly blinking.do i also need to put led's in front? or is it computer related? please help i would really like to put them back in. :confuse:
  • Options
    rstaabrstaab Member Posts: 1
    have 2002 dodge ram came out today no dash no door locks sec light stays on no brake lights no turn lamps
  • Options
    chuckiejrchuckiejr Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem...what did you do to fix it? Was it the front control module?
  • Options
    ncdodgeramncdodgeram Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 dodge ram 1500 4x4. i got in it the other day and had no power to the windows or the ac blower motor and the airbag light was on. checked all the fuses and they are all good. can anyone tell me what could be causing this ? everything worked fine the last time i drove it. now i have this problem and dont know what to try since the fuses are all good there is a black and orange wire to the blower motor that i traced as far as i could and it has no power to it anywhere that i can get to to test it
  • Options
    robroydodgerobroydodge Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I am new and a wannabe mechanic. Anyway, I just purchased a used 97 Dodge 1500 with 122k on it. It runs great but the headlights go on and off when they want to. I find that when I switch on the brights the headlights will turn on. The radio is fluky too. I have heard electrical problems can be difficult to fix. I was hoping maybe somebody else has had the same trouble and they knew how to fix it. Thanks.
  • Options
    moparornocar08moparornocar08 Member Posts: 6
    Okay, here's a question nobody's asked yet: '99 Ram Laramie 4x4, 5.9, loaded. I was driving it one night almost a year ago and noticed that the fog lights weren't on and the little light below the switch was out, but the switch itself was still pulled out. I pushed the switch in and then pulled it back out, made sure I hadn't accidently turned the high beams on, etc., no luck. I remembered that I had hit a pile of snow a little hard earlier, but I didn't blow any fuses and the bulbs didn't blow out, either, and as far as I know, all the connections are still good, too. So, does anybody have any ideas? I know that this isn't a big problem, but it's still big enough to bother me. :mad:
  • Options
    dave194dave194 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 - Does anyone know if the Front Control Module controls the Headlights and Wiper Function ?
  • Options
    dislikedislike Member Posts: 1
    First off its a 2004 Ram 2500 CTD. None of my interior lights work. (Dome,Cluster,Vanity, Lights on AC) only lights i have are the odometer and my radio which is aftermarket. Also my fog lights and 3rd tail lights does no work either, has been like this from very early stages of owning it.

Checked all Fuses assocated with each item in the engine comp fuse box (dont see interior box)

Any ideas or help would be greatly appricated.
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Sorry, I know this is a late response, but if you are referring to Central Timer Module (CTM), sometimes often referred to as the "Body Module" by some, then the answer is yes.

There are always two versions of the CTM used on every Chrysler product, depending on vehicle options. The CTM is used to integrate communications between the vehicle communications bus circuit and various electrical devices. The circuits or devices the CTM controls are as follows:

*Automatic Door Locks
    *Battery Protection (Battery Temperature Sensing circuitry)
    *Central Locking Control (Door switches or remote control)
    *Chimes (all)
    *Door Lock Inhibit (if selected)
    *Enhanced Accident Response (Auto Shut Down)
    * Exterior Lighting (Cargo lamp, Fog lamps,Headlamps,High Beam switch,Parking lamps)
    * Interior Lighting (Courtesy lamps, Door Ajar indicator, Washer motor control, Windshield Wiper Motor, Headlamps Off Sensing Circuit, Key-in Ignition Sense,Parking Brake indicator, PCI Buss Circuit, Radio Controls, Glove Box lamp, Horn, plus some instrument panel illumination, such as RPM indication (Tach) and engine/vehicle status illumination.)

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    You could have a failed Central Timer Module (CTM). Please see previous post.

Also, these circuits are control by solid state operational amplifiers (Op Amp) which is designed to isolate the control circuits from the actual output circuitry. This prevents the overheating or damage to wiring harnesses in cases of a short. In some cases a short will not open a fuse. This is because the Op Amp detects a short on a circuit and shuts off current to that circuit so that no current can flow. Thus, the fuse does not open.

Since this is a 2004 there could also be a problem with the Power Distribution Center (PDC) itself. Unfortunately I've seen two of these fail in recent times, both 2004s. The PDC is the large black module under the hood that houses the relays and fuses.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    polo99polo99 Member Posts: 3
    i was moving my power mirrors in my 02 ram and the radio, dome light and mirrors all quit at once all the fuses are good cant figure it out its driving me nuts :mad:
  • Options
    chuck62chuck62 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Dodge Ram that has started discharging the battery. I have had the alternator and battery checked and all is good. I have narrowed it down to disconnecting the IOD fuse and it will stop discharging. How do I fix the problem?
  • Options
    jksvetjksvet Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The dash indicator light doesn't work when the 4wheel drive unit is engaged. Changed the light bulb but no avail. Any suggestions? I'm obviously not an expert with these things. Thanks
  • Options
    rambonerambone Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 1500 4x4 slt blown motor with vin 8th dig "n" what other year motor will fit????any year with "n" dig in vin???
  • Options
    ben_jaminben_jamin Member Posts: 2
    i have 2006 2500 diesel and my glow plug light only comes on when the temperatures drop. typically won't come on until temperatures get into the 30's or 40's
  • Options
    ben_jaminben_jamin Member Posts: 2
    when the temperature drops outside typically in the 30's or 40's i get weird results from the battery meter located on the dash. after the truck starts the battery meter will drop significantly and the lights go dim and then the meter will get back to normal the lights come back on bright. this affects the interior and exterior lights. this will happen several times until the truck warms up.

does anyone have any idea what this might be?
  • Options
    restradarestrada Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me? I have a 2001 Ram quadcab. MY headlights and taillights work just fine but I don't have any dashboard light except for the radio which is aftermarket. I've replaced the fuse several times, but it will burn out as soon as I turn my headlights on
  • Options
    waynek5waynek5 Member Posts: 5
    Im having the same problem with battery discharging after several days of non use.I narrowed it to the i.o.d. fuse.Have you found a solution to the problem? Can I pull the fuse and still use the truck?Any help would be appreciated .

Waynek5
  • Options
    The IOD fuse feeds the memory and sleep-mode circuitry of the various electronic modules in the vehicle when the ignition switch is in the off position (key removed). Total draw is dependent on the number and type of modules in the vehicle.

Removing the fuse will allow temporary operation, but there are a number of things that will eventually go wrong. One of them is the automatic transmission will go into the Limp In mode (you will also get random chimes and a loss of radio clock and memory presets). You need to have the fuse installed

Because of the age I suspect that what you really have is a defective battery.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    Thanks for the info......battery is brand new,the only time I get a discharge reading is when the I.O.D. fuse is plugged in. After the holidays I will check one thing at a time.I suspect it might have something to do with my power mirrors or aftermarket radio.
    Could it possibly be a computer issue? Glove box ,door and dome lights check out OK.

Thanks Wayne K :confuse:
  • Options
    Why do you suspect a possible problem with the radio or the power mirrors?

Dusty
  • Options
    Not much left to check that I am aware of. H ave you found a solution to your discharging problem? I'd hate to go to a Dodge dealer if the answer may be available on the internet,sometimes these things are common problems with certain make and model vehicles.

Thanks for your help WK
  • Options
    Wayne,

I'm not having a discharging problem.

The reason why I asked why you suspected the radio...and especially...the power mirrors was to determine something common.

I'm guessing for the moment, but with the PCM, TCM, ABS, Radio/clock, TCCM, and CTM modules requiring memory keep alive current, I suspect that the normal current draw could be upwards of one ampere through the IOD fuse. A steady one ampere draw without the charging system being operated would likely bring a healthy battery down to less than 10.0 volts in about 35 days in warm temperatures.

But I suspect that the normal current draw is much less than one ampere. Most modern keep alive circuits generally only need a few milliamperes (+/- 15 ma). But, I cannot remember the normal current draw. One-half ampere would be a lot, I'm thinking.

Anyway, if you remove the IOD fuse you can measure the current draw by inserting a meter across the fuse pins. Since the fuse is 15 ampere, anything drawing a lot of current, but less than 10 amps, won't open the fuse. So something drawing 10-15 amps, for example, wouldn't open the IOD fuse but still pull your battery down in a few days.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    BigCountryRamBigCountryRam Member Posts: 4
    1998 Dodge Ram 2500, Put Amp meter on battery found there was a + draw pulled fuses without any luck, not sure if i am putting meter leads where i should (Black to Black, Red to Red on battery)
  • Options
    How much was the current draw?
    Dusty
  • Options
    dfighterdfighter Member Posts: 1
    I keep blowing my tail and dash lights. None of the back lights will come on. I keep blowing a fuse when i give the car a little gas. I had a 15 amp in the fuse section so i went up to 20 amp. I'm not sure what the problem might be but I checked the back of my bumper i saw alot of wires that is wet from the snow. I took one side apart took off the exposed ta[e dryed it off and re taped it but the fuse keeps blowing what should I do.
  • Options
    I recommend approaching this the old fashion way: getting a wiring diagram and ringing the circuits out with a multimeter.

However, before starting that process I'd begin by removing all of the rear tail lamps and disconnecting the trailer wiring harness, if you have one. Its possible you have a shorted bulb or more likely, a shorted bulb socket.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    BigCountryRamBigCountryRam Member Posts: 4
    I have a 10 amp meter and the draw exceeds 10amps, the readout gives me a generic number 1, doubt its 1 amp.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's definitely too high.

Dusty