Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Super Duty Continued - VIII

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    djhooverdjhoover Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of changing my 2001 F-350 CC LB SRW to Bright Amber color. Can't visualize it from the little chip. Has anyone seen it or know where I can see pictures? What does it compare to and how do I know it's not going to be a massive pumpkin?
  • Options
    mpbowmanmpbowman Member Posts: 9
    I'll be taking delivery of my truck within a week. I have to go 400 miles to take delivery. How many of you recommend towing my jeep back home with my New 01' PS SD MT CC Lariat? Would it matter if the engine does not have a breaking in before towing? My other option is to fly and drive my truck back.
  • Options
    jtadicjtadic Member Posts: 6
    Have a 01 F250 SD CC PSD LB 4X4 being assembled in Mexico next month. Does anyone have any experience with comparing the quality of trucks from Mexico VS Kentucky?
  • Options
    brucenortonbrucenorton Member Posts: 2
    I have a '99 Ford SD PSD w/Automatic Transmission. At 30K miles, it's due a filter and fluid change. The dipstick says "Mercon". The owners manual says don't mix Mercon and Mercon V. My choice is to replace the fluid with a synthetic blend Mercon/Mercon V fluid made my Valvoline. This fluid says on the bottle that it meets Mercon and Mercon V specifications - which means to me it can be mixed if your transmission currently has Mercon or Mercon V. Getting all of the fluid out of the tranny/torque converter for a fluid change (without disconnecting lines,etc) is almost impossible. Can anyone offer me guidance on this issue? Can I put this Valvoline Syn blend (that says Mercon/Mercon V okay on the bottle) into a transmission that says "Mercon"?
  • Options
    brucenortonbrucenorton Member Posts: 2
    I witnessed the exact same situation. With one rear wheel on ice, and the other of dry pavement the traction all went to the icy side. According to the window sticker I have a 3.73 Limited Slip Differential. I called my trusty Ford dealer sevice guy and he said there's two types of rear ends, Limited Slip and Traction-Lok. With the limited slip kind we can cause the traction to go to the opposite side with a tap on the brake pedal. In my "icy" situation by taping on the brake pedal the traction should go to the dry pavement side. I haven't tried it yet due to the lack of ice/snow pack. In the case of the Traction-Lok, I'd have to believe that the vehicle figures it out on its own - I didn't ask this question of the Ford guy.
  • Options
    snogoosesnogoose Member Posts: 1
    markbuck -- I'm looking for info on the 1K incentive Ford is offering on SD -- you mentioned offered till the end of the year. Where can I find more on this?
  • Options
    kevinokevino Member Posts: 19
    congrats on the new truck.

my truck came from georgia, I got a ride over to get it. I would not even run the engine over 3500 rpm's until it had 500 miles. I have always let my vehicles get about 1000 miles before towing.

I also believe you shouldn't get a new engine on the freeway and keep it at somewhat constant rpm's. You should vary your speeds constantly.
  • Options
    canoescanoes Member Posts: 20
    When I was getting my '00 250 CC LB, I looked at amber. In '99 they had amber with a tan/gold 2nd color but in '00 Ford had amber with black which to me was Halloween. The amber & tan was OK. I don't know what the 2nd color is for '01's. But just visualize the CC LB --it is a Big truck and alot of color. I bought Island blue with gold and been very happy. I see that for '01 it is with silver/gray.
    REgarding the towing, the discussion last year was not to tow until 1000 miles. Don't need to put the stress on all those new parts! Also alot of them were changing the oil at 1000-2000 miles even though the Ford book says you don't have to.
    Enjoy your truck. I love mine.
  • Options
    bessbess Member Posts: 972
    The Limited Slip diff's are not full lockers. It simply allows a little more 'torque' to be applied to the wheel thats on solid ground than an open diff. But, the amount of torque applied to the wheel on solid ground is still less than the wheel thats on ice.
    In the case where one wheel is on ice and the other on solid ground, so little torque is needed to spin the wheel on ice, that there's not enough torque applied to the solid ground one to move the truck.

A common trick in this situation is to lightly apply the parking brake when the wheel on ice spins. Somehow this seems to allow more torque to be applied to the wheel on solid ground which can get you going in many situations.

The LS diffs work well in many situations, but they do have limitations..
  • Options
    mpbowmanmpbowman Member Posts: 9
    I'll take the slow lane and the back roads.

Jtadic, how were you able to tell your truck was being assembled in Mexico? Did you have a choice and were you made aware before the order was placed.
  • Options
    jtadicjtadic Member Posts: 6
    If you look at the 11th letter in the VIN number it indicates place of manufacture. In my case the letter is an M. I found out only because I had asked the dealer in some of our initial conversations where the truck was to be assembled. I had heard some were assembled in Mexico. I have a Chev. now that was assembled in Canada. It has been a great truck. Only problem is you need a full set of metric tools as well as standard tools to work on it. My expectations are that the place of assembly doesn't make much difference as far as quality. Didn't know if there were any little quirks like I had with the Chev.
  • Options
    djhooverdjhoover Member Posts: 3
    does anyone have suggestions for how to load logs into the back of a long bed if you don't have heavy equipment to pick up the log? Like mounting a winch in the front of the bed or using some kind of sliding rail gizmo etc. or rigging up some kind of lift to back under. Talking about 8' logs up to 16" dia.without ripping up a new truck.
  • Options
    fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    in the rear corner of the bed mounted a vertical post, he then put a cross bar on top to form a "t" (he made it so it would swivel), and he mounted a winch in the bed and ran the cable over some pulleys. Worked very well, looked ugly.
  • Options
    bowhuntwi2bowhuntwi2 Member Posts: 80
    Averaged 14 mpg, 3 guys and hunting gear, Y2K CC 5.4 4.10 Ls 4x4 Lariat. Truck did good, but if I lived in a state with mountains, I would surely buy the V10. Only problems we had was the loveland pass on I-70,55 was about best we could keep it to. Course those coloradians was zipping by with their cars at 70+. I would sure hate to be a trucker hitting those runaway ramps, but then again if you got a semi filling your back mirror on the down hill side, you best step on it......

Sorry to say, we didn't get an elk, but it was a much needed vacation and we did enjoy it. Time to pack the truck back up to take part in the regular 9-day WI. Buck season. Before the elk hunt, we did do our share in helping WI. reduce their anterless herd by filling our freezers with 17 does. Catch ya all next week, Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone...........
  • Options
    j2smellj2smell Member Posts: 13
    The first letter of the VIN designates the country of assembly. 1 for US, 3 for Mexico. According to many people who have posted on other sites (FordDiesel.com), there has not been any noticeable differences in quality.
  • Options
    fz2vh2fz2vh2 Member Posts: 1
    I just cancelled an order for a y2K SD when I found out it is being made in Mexico. Have a '99 Surburban now that was made in Mexico and it is POOR Quality. Don't want another "foreign" truck. Dealer couldn't get find a US made F250. Looking for one now.
  • Options
    fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    What part of the country do you live in. I live in Atlanta and have bought a 99 & 00. Both of these trucks come from KY plant. I'm most certain that all trucks in this area come from there.

Would it be far fetched for you to come here.
    If not I'll tell you about my salesman & dealership.
  • Options
    bessbess Member Posts: 972
    The problem was because your Suburban was made in Mexico, the quality problem was because it was made by Chevy. (of course thats just my opinion).

Remember, only the 'final assembly' is done in KY or Mexico. I would bet that some of the bigger systems and components were made outside the USA.
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I am considering an f250 crew cab due to the fact that the passengers are largely all grown up now. The super cab is tight on trips. The crew cab configuration really eats away at the payload capacity of this truck. My salesman suggested that if I add the camper package that I would pick up 700# of payload and that I wouldn't even notice a difference in ride as the the added springs wouldn't come into play until heavily loaded. Both the snow plow and camper package come with added rear springs and heavier front springs. With the heavier fronts it would seem to me that the ride would be harsher all the time. Do you really pick up 700# of payload with these options or is he just trying to make a sale? What about the stiffer ride?
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    didn't think it came with stiffer front springs? I had the Camper package on my old F350 CC, and my buddy has it on his new F350 CC SD. No problems on either for ride comfort, both are LB's....
  • Options
    cowpokescowpokes Member Posts: 33
    Well I am back with a problem that I hope the group can assist with.
    My truck has always had the clunking and popping from the drive front line, it was getting worse and now it is really obnoxious.
    So I took it in and they supposedly measured everything and it is within specs, the problem is detailed in a SPM? the number is 12905, it is not a TSB or Recall.
    It simply states that driveline wind up on some models will occur and will not lead to premature failure.
    Well it is getting louder and I have a hard time believeing that.
    Anyone else have any experience with this problem?
    Thanks Cowpoke
  • Options
    darlafdarlaf Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new here. This topic may have been covered before, I have a 99 F350 dually, I have had three rear wheel hub covers come off, all on the same side. I feel there is a defect here and should not have to pay for any more, I had the last one put on by the Ford dealer. What can I do?
    Is there any other type of hub cover? Is there a secret to putting them on? They are not being stolen. I have a full warranty(extended on my truck) does this cover this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    For purposes of efficiency....

this topic is being "frozen." please continue these discussions in Topic 2465 Ford Super Duty Continued - IX. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.