Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007+ Infiniti G35

Comments

• Options
    py777py777 Member Posts: 62
    It looks like plastic...maybe it's different than what I know of...I thought it was spray on.
  • Options
    terrylterryl Member Posts: 34
    I live in a climate with snow on the road probably 4 months of the year. I am wondering how satisfied people without AWD but with snow tires are in this type of climate. Trying to take the cost of AWD and gas mileage as well as no additional stopping benefit into account. I suppose I am seeking opinions regarding advantages and disadvantages of both options.

Thanks!
    Terry
  • Options
    g35s07g35s07 Member Posts: 2
    Considering a G35 Sport with full options but is cocrned by the dual exhaust tips that come with the car. Comparing to the G35 Coupe or any other cars on the road the G35 Sport has very poor finishing touch and look really cheap for the price of the car. I could not believe what I saw for this car which is supposed to be competing the BMW 3 Series. Even the Hyundai Sonata has better looking exhaust tips. The chrome finishers have the welding joints at the bottom which were not smoothed out. I am in Louisville, Kentucky and every single 07 G35 came with the same and the sales person told me I am the first one to notice it. Has anyone in other states notice this? :surprise:
  • Options
    g35s07g35s07 Member Posts: 2
    Refering to personal taste I like everything of the G35 Sport but not the look of the front lower nose (air-dams). The look on the Journey is a lot better than the Sport with bigger and more aggressive lower black grills. Indeed the 2008 G35 Coupe looks a thousand times better. Dealer told me I am not able to swap unless there is an after-market product. :( vs :D
  • Options
    kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    That's hilarious. Good one. your the first to notice it because it's absurd, there's so much more to notice about the car then where the weld is on the exhaust tips. Not knocking you because it's your first post, but that's an odd first post to have if you are really serious about this car.
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, keep us updated about your buying experience. I'm also in Louisville and will be buying a G soon. Thanks...
  • Options
    irvsteroniirvsteroni Member Posts: 56
    Went to the garage and looked at the dual exhaust on my Sport (purchased in December) and sure enough, the weld is visible. I even washed the car today and didn't notice. Nor do I care. Sure it's not the clean exhaust tips that the G35 coupe had (which I traded in) or some other cars for that matter, but that's a very small detail. If I had any issues with the exhaust, it would not be the look at all but that it doesn't have the deep throaty sound like the G35 coupe has.
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Anyone have a remote starter installed in their 07 G35?

If so, how is it getting past the security of the electronic fob not being near?
    Also, does it use the original keyfob, or did you get stuck with a second remote?

I have an email into the dealer, but wanted other's input as well.
    I'll also post what I find.
  • Options
    Well, I have the info now.
    A starter can be installed at the dealership, but it does require the purchase of another keyfob, which is placed in the dash.
    It allows the remote starter to start the vehicle, but a person would not be able to enter the car or start it without a fob in hand, due to it's placement.

The first starters being installed did have a separate fob to carry, but the new starters make use of the existing intelligent keyfob we already carry.
    You hit the lock button twice and the car starts.
    Hit it two more times if you want to shut it down.

I'll do this down the road... I just want to take delivery now. The wait is killin' me!:cry:
  • Options
    What was the price on the starter? I've heard the keyfobs are $400 alone. I'd like a starter, but not sure if it's worth more then $500 as a total.
  • Options
    I haven't called for the price of the starter/install, as that question goes to a completely different person in the dealership.
    I'm gonna get that info when I take delivery (If that day ever comes :( )

The Keyfobs are not $400-. The rumors are flying on that subject, one guy claiming them to be $1500!

No, they are about $125 each...which makes sense.
    I asked the same question when coming close to the Lexus IS purchase.
    $250- a pair.
  • Options
    sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Yeah...I don't think the keyfob itself is $400, but more likely it's around $125...it's the reprogramming that they charge the extra couple hundred for. In order to reprogram one key, you have to do ALL keys at the same time and it can take an hour for the computer to be reprogrammed. It's the labor that is so expensive.
  • Options
    amitnis1amitnis1 Member Posts: 14
    I was looking for an entry level luxury coupe and decided to go with the G35 one. I live in NE and the dealer was very adamant that I should go with the AWD sedan version if I want to drive the car all year long. He argues that any G35 coupe including one with automatic transmission and snow tiers will be out of use for at least 2 months a year in the NE weather. Is this correct? Is the only G35 relevant for 365 days drive in NE is the AWD one?

Thanks!
  • Options
    It depends where you are located, I'm in CT where yes we do get snow but the roads are good the next day. I would recommend getting snow tires for the winter, but there are hundreds of thousands of RWD vehicles on the road in New England. With a set of snows you'll be fine in the messy weather and I would say if you get more then 6 inches I wouldn't take it out unless the roads are clear.

There are a lot of Canadians that have sports, I don't think we get more snow then them, and they manage. If your' in the birkshires or Maine, then yeah your're probably better off with the X.

My mentality is that are you buying a car for the 10 times it snows and year and the other 40 days a year it's bad winter weather... or are you buying the car for the 300+ days a year it's beautiful and AWD offers no benefit? I'd rather have the paddle shifters, 18" wheels, LSD, sportier tuned suspension, advanced VSD, and all the other features the sport delivers.

Bottom line - You'll be happy with either of them!
  • Options
    gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    He's just BS w/ you. I had the coupe for 2 years w/ all-season tires and never got a problem w/ the snow here in PA.
  • Options
    Snow isn't the only reason for AWD. The 911 turbo is AWD & it's definitely not for snow.
  • Options
    Keep in mind that he's talking about a Coupe, and not a Sedan.
  • Options
    I was referring to the comment KRING5 made that AWD is useless unless there is snow.
  • Options
    I'm sure Infiniti is flattered you are comparing the G35 to a 911 Turbo, but the G ain't no 911T, My 07 sport can break wheels in 1st, but that's pretty much where it ends. AWD is going to be of very little use for a G35 driver when the weather is good. I'm not saying it's useless, but if your deciding on performance/sport.. the G35S offers plenty more over the X.
  • Options
    Sorry Smokey... I was referring to Gooddeal's comment and just hit the closet reply link. :)

He may have had luck with his coupe on all-season tires, but most owners have reported the car to be absolutely horrible in the snow and either run Snows when necessary, or leave them garaged until Spring.
    And who runs All-Seasons on an Infiniti G Coupe???
    That car deserves nothing but Performance Summer Tires.
    If you're replacing the tires for winter use, why not Snows to begin with?

Hit a forum dedicated to just the G. During the winter, most Coupe owners spend their time with upgrades and such, and post messages about how much they miss driving them.
  • Options
    Actually I never compared the G to a 911T. I was only disagreeing with you that AWD is useless unless the weather is bad.
  • Options
    I know, I was being sarcastic on the last post :)
  • Options
    joeshanjoeshan Member Posts: 70
    Can anyone tell me if '07 has the integral fog lights, and if so, are they any better than those on my '04?
    Mine are not really useful at all; they just throw a vague spray of light on the ground immediately in front of the car.
    I'm thinking of trading in my X for a new one because of the brake issues.
    And I really like the '07's. :)
  • Options
    The fog lights are integrated.

How do they work?
    I don't know, cause my dealer can't seem to deliver my car to me in a timely manner !!!!! Urgh. :cry: :mad: :cry:
    (not that I'm upset)

Drive one, and you'll be sold.... and you won't care one bit how the fog lights work. ;)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    What are they telling you about where the car is?
  • Options
    I called on Friday, March 30... which happened to be my delivery date.
    I was told that my car is sitting on the docks in New Jersey.
    (I'm in central MA, my dealer is in Warwick, RI)

Is it wrong for me to be calling them every 2 or 3 days?
    Am I a nag for doing so? LOL

My delivery date was on the last day of the month, being their busiest day of the month, so I understand being put off a couple days.
    Once the car is in, I have to wait for cleanup, inspection and 3M Film installation.

I last called on Friday.
    Do I sit and wait, or do I call them again???
  • Options
    I called the dealer again (They must love me :P )
    My car is due in within any moment.
    New problem - The 3M certified guy who is doing my protective film install is on vacation until next week :cry:

Now, I'm looking at at least Tuesday! :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    tszhfungtszhfung Member Posts: 12
    I am in So Cal (LA area). I got my installed 3 months ago for $590.
  • Options
    tszhfungtszhfung Member Posts: 12
    Do you drive mostly city? You may want to be a little bit more patient. I got my G35 journey (same EPA rating as G35x) 4 months ago and at the beginning, I was getting 18-19 mpg with a mix city and highway. The transmission shifting became noticeably smoother and the gas mileage became better after 2500-3000 miles.

I topped off the tank last night and drove to work this morning, 60 mile one way, got an average of 24.6 mpg which is darn close to the EPA rating. The odometer reads 3950 today.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    kd6aw1kd6aw1 Member Posts: 116
    After having my wonderful 2003 G35 sedan for 4 1/2 years I bought my new 2007 journey with everything on it. Now have 3,000 miles on her and couldn't be more pleased in all respects. Infiniti really improved everything over the 2003, more power, tighter and very high tech. This is a car that I intend to keep for a very long time, what are your experiences?

Paul near San Diego, California :)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Tuesday?? Ouch!
  • Options
    py777py777 Member Posts: 62
    People are saying the 3M film is visible up close. Does it really affect the paint look of the car?
  • Options
    By up close, yes... if you're within 3 feet of the car, you can make out the line on the edge, but not really the film itself.
    If you're sitting in the car next to me, in traffic, you would never even know the film was installed.
    If you keep it clean and keep wax from building on it's edge, it's 99% invisible.
    Some films are crap and yellow over time, but the 3M is awesome stuff.
    It's got a 5 yr warranty against yellowing, cracking, peeling, bubbling, etc. and can be washed, clayed, polished and waxed, just like any other part of the car.

More noticeable than the film, are the chips on the hoods and bumpers of cars who chose not to install the film.
    I had to decide between the film and the chips, so I chose the film.

I have a new Acura MDX and chose not to do the film.
    The front edge of the hood already has 3 chips... very noticable.
    My 07 G35 is not leaving the lot without having the film installed first.
    A few coats of Zaino later, you'll never know it's there. :D

• Options
    Random question...but does anyone have a recommendation for a decent (but cheap) window tinting place in So. Cal...preferrably in the Valley? Let me know...thanks!
  • Options
    Careful with "Cheap"

Installs are very comparable in price.
    The $ difference comes with your choice of material.
    Some bubble and others turn purple over short periods of time.

A good tint job can run upwards of $200-$300

Don't skimp on materials!
  • Options
    I've heard the best tint you can get is the ceramic tint, it also doesn't effect radio/phone reception as the metallic tend to do.

I think the company's name is Huper Optik? this tint runs about $300-$500 depending on installer and # of windows.
  • Options
    I've heard the same... the Ceramic is the way to go.
    I'm having a little trouble finding a reputable installer who uses it in my area, but I'll also admit I haven't given it a ton of time yet.
    I'll look into it more once I get the car.
  • Options
    davehelmdavehelm Member Posts: 10
    I had the film added to my new G. My initial observation is that is picks up dust faster than the paint so that it become more noticeable than I would like. I haven't put any wax on my vehicle yet so that may change things if they both have a coat of wax.

I'd like to here from some long term users of the product. I am concerned with how well it comes off after 3-4 years. I'm more concerned with the adhesive and the potential need to use a solvent to remove it. I'm also wondering if it will hurt the film to use wax on it. A friend told me that it tends to make the film brittle and that it will then crack. I'm not quite buying that story.

BTW I was charged $700 by the dealer for the nose, trunk lid, gas tank door sill, behind the door handles and the front of the mirrors.
  • Options
    Some of the lesser brands do have issues. These issues include yellowing, cracking, peeling and so on.
    You should not see any issues with the 3M product.
    I made sure my install was 3M, as some dealers use the "3M" word while installing something of lesser quality, like Avery Dennison. This is like calling a generic bandage a "Band-Aid"
    I made sure my dealer had an installer who was certified by 3M, confirmed this through the 3M website search engine and also reviewed the product being installed first hand, which has little 3M emblems all over the backing.
    This material has a 5 year warranty.

For the 3M, treat it like it wasn't there.
    Wash it, clay it, wax and/or polish it.
    I plan on taking my car home and immediately washing, claying, washing again, polishing and then sealing it, including the 3M material.
    This should also cut down on the dust issue.

The Zaino products work great at repelling dust and I plan on applying at least 2 coats during it's first weekend in my garage.

As for removal, all you will need is a heat gun or hair dryer to break the adhesive. Solvents are not needed.
  • Options
    triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    "The Zaino products work great at repelling dust and I plan on applying at least 2 coats during it's first weekend in my garage. "

Thanks for mentioning zaino products, I researched it and think am sold on their products. spent hours online reading about the diffrent polishers, sealers and clay and how to best apply them. Seems like they have some great stuff. I plan to buy a kit and apply a few coats myself when I finally get my car.

Just hope that when i'm ready to purchase, I dont have to be put through the painful wait that your going through. I should be ready to purchase by the end of the month. dont know what the heck I'm waiting for :confuse:
  • Options
    Well, if you don't want to wait, try to find something you like in stock!
    I was dead set on what I wanted, which they didn't have on the lot.
    I was willing to let them get it from another dealership, but wouldn't let them put miles on it driving it back, and I refused to pay for a truck to ship it in.
    Therefore, I had to order and wait.
    Wait ends tomorrow! :D
  • Options
    davehelmdavehelm Member Posts: 10
    The owners manual is very confusing on what turning off the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system does. It appears that the VDC uses both engine power and brakes to control the stability of the car. Reading the maunual I gather that by turning it off all that is disabled is the engine control portion of the system. Does this sound right? :confuse:
  • Options
    carfanatic17carfanatic17 Member Posts: 32
    Does anyone know if the G35 Sedan will get upgraded to the G37 like the coupe for the 2008 model year? I'm looking to purchase the sedan in the very near future, but don't want to miss out on the bigger engine if it becomes available.
  • Options
    Don't plan on any major updates for 08 on the Sedan side.
    The 07 is a brand new model.
    The true 2-Channel stereo system in the 07 centers the sound in the middle of the 2 front seats.
    I've read that the 08 will have a switch to offset this slightly for pure sound enjoyment on the driver's side, when they are driving alone.
    Sorta like imaging the right speaker to be more in the middle of the cabin and the left speaker being out near the outside rear-view mirror.

Other than this slight improvement on the SOW, I have heard of no other changes for the 08 Sedan.
  • Options
    I would love to see them bump that engine up. BMW did it when they went from the 325 and 330 to the 328 and 335 in '07 and the '06 was a brand new model. All I know is if I buy an '07 and the engine is bumped up for '08, I will not be a happy camper. I guess that's the problem with always wanting the latest and greatest. Where are you getting your info from?
  • Options
    http://www.stereophile.com/news/071706infiniti/

"For '08, we have it worked out so that when you're driving solo (or feeling selfish), you can flick a switch and center the image for the driver. The left speaker moves virtually to about 4' outside the left door. Now that's impressive."

I've seen no concrete news on the 08 Sedan... as all buzz is on the newly re-designed Coupe right now.

As for engine bump up... have you driven an 07?
    It certainly doesn't need a bump.

I love having the latest and greatest as well, but sooner or later, you have to jump in and play or just sit on the sideline, always waiting for the next best thing.

I just got my 07 home last night.
    I honestly do not care if the 08 has a 550 HP which gets 65 MPG.
    (well, I do, a little)

I absolutely love this car and just couldn't wait anymore.
    Of course, I will admit, I've been shopping since Feb, 06.
  • Options
    Here is the thing to consider...unless you are planning on racing that thing, I doubt that a slight increase in HP will make much difference...especially since the 07 already hauls [non-permissible content removed]. We are really starting to get to the point where all we are getting is MAYBE a few tenths of a second faster 0-60 time and realistically...does it matter for non-track driving? I don't think so IMO...however, if we were looking at a 50+ HP jump then I'd definitely consider waiting as long as I was ready to pay the premium too.
  • Options
    I drove it, and you're right it probably doesn't need a bump. I'm looking at the Sport with Premium, Navi, and Tech packages. What model did you get? I'll probably end up waiting for the '08 to come out, but we'll see. If what I want is available, and the price is right, I will probably make the move sooner rather than later. Do you mind me asking how much you paid?
  • Options
    I have a long commute in Central Mass. and a driveway which is crazy steep, so I went with the G35x.
    I found it to be plenty "sport" enough, and still met the wife's requests for safely toting my 4 yr old daughter to school.

Slate Blue on Graphite, Prem/Nav/Tech/Rosewood, and also threw in Wheel Locks, Cargo Net, Splash Guards and 3M film.
    (Got a little greedy with the options) :blush:

I started looking last year and found the Lexus IS at the top of my list.
    Didn't like the lack of power in the 250 and wished for AWD in the 350, and then the G showed up for 07.
    Never liked the previous models but the 07 caught my eye.

Once I drove it, I was SOLD!
    I couldn't say that about the IS250/350.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    As a mid-gen facelift. The coupe needs the extra power to compensate for having 2 fewer doors. ;)

I'm hearing that there is a lot of high-RPM vibration from both engines, that it lacks refinement compared to the 3-series or IS. Anyone noticing the engine/drivetrain loses it's smoothness past 4000 RPM?

DrFill