Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• I have had the same "Check engine light" come on in the first 80 miles and is still on after 160 miles now. I called Monte service and they said it is an emission deal and probably related to gas cap not tightened properly. I removed the gas cap and re-tightened 50 miles back, but "Check engine light" has not gone off yet. Looks like I will have to take it in to dealer for a check. Anybody found a fix for this problem?
  • Thanks for the feedback. I think I will wait fro the factory mats. Has anybody purchased the factory top luggage carrier and does it work O.K. or does anybody know of a better after market luggage carrier?
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    "He brought you "Confessions Of a Car Salesman" to give you the inside story of his undercover work as a car salesman. For this chat, Chandler Phillips goes one-on-one with "The Cardinal", Dependable Dodge's own Marc Antonucci . Don't miss this battle of truths as these two give it to you straight."

If you haven't read Edmunds.com's confessions of a car salesman, I highly recommend you do so. I found it very entertaining, and yet enlightening as to what may go on in auto dealerships.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • karno1karno1 Posts: 33
    Recently test drove this behemoth! drove like a true dream. Have driven the Bmw X5, ML320, MDX, yet the MONTERO truly comes across as the best in handling. Nice high center level view, felt like the famous old Range Rovers to me (IMO that is). yes, it could use more power, but is adequate. If one is gonna drive such a nice big thing, there certainly will not be a need to take it so fast. Is better to be noticed than to zip on by w/o getting noticed.

My one question is that of the audio system. I am aware that it is made by the ever so famous Infinity brand (parent company JBL), but didn't get to really get a feel for the sound. Any comments on the quality of this sound system? I am a former owner of a Grand cherokee which used to always incorporate Infinity audio systems......and it sure sounded grrrrreat!!! (I guess the reason why they both use the same brand is due to Chrysler and Mitsubishi often used to share assembly lines and parts with eachother in the past. Do they still have a joint collaboration with eachother?)
  • mp19fanmp19fan Posts: 102
    The Infinity system in our LTD is actually a very god factory system. Considerably better than my '98 GC Laredo (which I thought was pretty good), but not quite as nice as my wife's '93 Lexus ES300. Not sure who manufactures it, but IMO that has to be one of the cleanest sounding stock systems.

That was one of the requirements for the Montero. It has to have a good system. She sat in it for about 20 minutes while going through her CD collection, and finally gave the thumbs up. Adjustments are very straightforward, but I do wish there were EQ controls.

BTW, while closing the back door, I was wondering if the sheer weight and constant opening and closing of it would eventually cause it to sag a bit, not unlike solid core doors for some homes? And doesn't the info screen on the dash of the LTD just scream for a nav. system?

Another thing, do any of you check the other SUV topics? As one who was also considering a Sequoia (too expensive for what you really get, too large for our needs, first year model, and did I mention too expensive?), I frequently checked over there. Boy, are they ever defensive about their purchases! And a tad too condescending for my tastes. If you're considering anything other than a Seq, you're throwing your money away, according to them. --Jimmy
  • cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    I bought the weathertech mats--I really like them. I couldn't find any other mats with deep enough grooves to handle the weather here (Wisconsin). There is one disadvantage--you have to cut them to fit the driver side and rear seats...(the passenger side doesn't need to be modified.). It's not that hard to do--there are lines between the grooves specifically there so the mats can be modified, but for $90.00 you would think they would fit without any changes (they USED to be vehicle specific, but I think weathertech is trying to cut corners....)
  • phonosphonos Posts: 204
    Check out the carriers on the Thule website. The Model 754 loadbars will fit on the factory parallel rails on the 2001 Montero. Almost all the Thule accessories, ski and snow board racks, luggage and bike carriers, etc. will then attach to the load bars, which are really very heavy duty. We drove to Idaho and back from SoCal with snowboard rack -- very little noticeable increase in wind noise.

good luck

-phonos
  • ALLOW ME TO THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFO I DO NOT WANT TO ABUSE OF YOUR KINDNESS BUT I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE SAME QUESTION IN REGARDS TO MB 320. IF THEY CAN BE PURCHASED IN CANADA BEST REGARDS
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    Roof Rack: I have been looking around. There are very nice fully enclosed cases but they dont clear under most garages so would have to be taken off/on in my case. Some have "quick releases". These go from $400-800 and are very nice.

There is a Yakama rack (Load Warrior), I think they have 3 models now, that you can add an extension on. It is very well built. You can attach any of thier accessories directly to the rack for bikes, skies, etc. I am waiting to see the cross members that they are developing for the Montero 2001 which they assured me are due out anytime. They recommend thier crossmembers stating that they are considerably stronger. These racks seem to have a lower profile and will clear my garage. You would need water proof bags for travel and security would be a greater issue unless you take the bags off at night and put them in the vehicle.

MATS:

The dealer gets them from Husky I believe. When you call Husky I think I remember them saying they offer other colors. Why the dealer doesnt get them I dont know. I would check with Husky liners for the color you want. They should still fit custom like the dealers and probably cost you less.
    I believe lexus uses Nakamichi for their high end sound systems....and boy, do they sound good. If you want to see a nice stock radio for a car, check out the BMW Premium audio system....costs $1200 bucks extra as an option, and is made by Alpine. EQ's only add complications to the consumer. Takes a long while to get it fine tuned. I like the system to be more straight forward, with the simple controls, and good sound.

I guess one won't know how well this sound system is until they spend a long time driving around in the vehicle. Will probably take a nice long trip to figure it out.
    Husky liners do not come custom fitted to the Montero, at least not yet(I checked before buying the weathertechs), and there won't be any custom made Husky liner mats for the Monte anytime soon, from what I understand.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    Thanks for the update. I thought my rear cargo mat was made by Husky for the Dealer but I threw away the product inserts.
    Ok Ok let me beat this to death....Brill, I was talking about floor mats only--I had the dealer throw in a cargo mat for me--so I don't know anything about aftermarket cargo mats--just floor mats....Sorry for any confusion.
    In the past there have been requests for information on where to go to try a new Full Size Monte on a trail. I found the following on-line bookstore that specializes in 4x4 trail guides, maps, videos, etc.

Here's link to their offerings by state::

http://4x4books.com/state.htm

FYI: just got a call from a local mitsu. dealer. They told me that the 4.9 is still currently being offered as of now. So its not too late to get approved for that rate. For those of you's that are still considering buying this truck at that rate, theres still a chance. I've seen other manufacturers offer extentions on the low financing rates. With any luck, we might be able to see them extend this rate for another month or two.....ya think? I sure am keeping my fingers crossed, for I still have 2 payments left to make on my current vehicle, before I can even consider purchasing the Monty. By the way, has anyone ever experienced having the dealer paying off your current debt on a car, just to get you into a new Monty? The sales rep. did run that by me on the phone, and said that it could be possible for them to make my remaining 2 payments to get me into a new Monty. Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!! :O)
    I've heard from one dealer (in an email) that they were also offering 60 days deferred payments. As for the dealer paying off the current debt it your old car, forget about it. What usually happens is that they simply add it on to the purchase price of the new car, effectively increasing your purchase price as well as increasing your monthly payment. The 2 payments on your old car would simply get stretched out over 48 or 60 months, and you'd be paying interest on that amount as well.

If I'd have known that they would be extending the 4.9%, I would have waited as well. I also have 2 more payments on my leased JGC. However, I got a great deal and I couldn't take the chance of missing the great rate, saving thousands over a conventional rate. --Jimmy
    Mind sharing with us what deal you exactly got on the ltd.? Is it hard to get approved for the 4.9% rate? Are they very skeptical when it comes to giving approval?

So in essence, they are willing to add my remaining 2 payments from my previous car onto the tab of the new one??? Thats not
    The very helpful people in this topic suggested a price of $34k-$34.7k for the LTD w/ rear air. I got the Limited w/ rear air and dealer installed extras (running boards, rear spoiler, sunroof wind deflector) for $35k + t/l at my local dealer in So Cal, Puente Hills Mitsubishi. If you get a chance, speak either to Louie or Omar (fleet mgr.). Both are good people. This beats all prices I received over the internet.

4.9% for 60 months are reserved for people with very good credit (scores of over 700). They get your credit report and it's either a yes or no. It's a good idea to check your credit prior to negotiating a deal so there are no surprises.

As far as adding your two remaining payments on top of your negotiated price, I'm sure that can be done. First, I would negotiate the best price for the Montero w/o letting them know what you have planned for your old car. That way you get the absolute best price, then you can ask about adding the remaining payments on top of that. Or try and hit them up with a suggestion that they help pay half of what you owe. Doesn't hurt to ask. Hope this helps. --Jimmy
    Whoa Jimmy:

Did you get 4.9% for 60 months? You really got a good deal. The longest term in August, 2000 when we bought was 48 months. With the added extras you got, I think you got a very fair deal. Do you know off-hand what prices they are getting for the running boards, spoiler, and wind deflector?

Still looking for a 2001 Montero mechanic in SoCal

-Paul
  • dskidski Posts: 414
    I'd assume you could buy a Mercedes in Canada since they are sold there. I really don't know anything about purchasing vehicles there or what the advantages and dissadvantages would be. I only responded to your original question since I knew that Mitsubishi's are not sold in Canada. What are the advantages of purchasing in Canada and bringing to the U.S.? It sure seems like a lot of trouble and potential problems when obtaining title in the states.

Drew