Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• Options
    aztek01gtaztek01gt Member Posts: 6
    max71 there is a group of Aztek owners on Yahoo.Look for them at yahoo groups.The rally is in Owego New York,not Oswego the end of July I believe.Phil
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    YES, THE RENDEZVOUS SHARES A PLATFORM with Pontiac's much-maligned Aztek. But never have two GM relatives been so different. And not for a long while has a Buick been this-should we say it?-good.
    Our staff universally liked the Rendezvous' looks, especially an interior that's not only modern and attractive, but of a consistent design quality that's rare in domestic vehicles. Bonus points to the designers for making a quasi-truck that truly is a Buick, understated yet stylish in its conservatism. No, you're not going to get a Rendezvous in Fire Engine Yellow or Italian Exotic Red, but you will see a wide range of earth tones from which to pick its muted two-tone color. It's this paint scheme that's responsible for making the larger Rendezvous actually look smaller thanthe Aztek.

Yet it's the largeness of the Rendezvous that makes it handle better than its shorter-wheelbase cousin. Neither suspension is going to be confused with that of a BMW X5, but the Rendezvous' 112.2-inch wheelbase does smooth out what on the Aztek can be a choppy ride. It also allows Rendezvous to handle a third row of seats. While adults are difficult to fit in the way back, owners noted the third-row's utility for child hauling.

Though the performance numbers on the Rendezvous aren't particularly impressive, it's clear that the appeal of this Buick (all Buicks?) has more to do with value and comfort. In our competitive market, this means a vehicle needs to be loaded with features, as is the Rendezvous: OnStar, heated seats, head-up display, six-disc changer, back-up assist, sunroof, etc. And while one staffer expressed our universal concern with "being reviewers of cupholders, backseat a/v accessories, binnage and tie-downs and foldaways," it's clear that this is part of the post-SUV fallout. For many buying this new breed of "crossover," a great driving experience is a secondary consideration to the implied utility.

Thus it deserves mentioning that the Rendezvous was cross-shopped against cars (Saab 9-5), trucky SUVs (Dodge Durango), and tall-wagon SUVs (Toyota Highlander). Yet, despite owners' focus on featurism, nary a minivan was "also considered." Were there no "soccer mom" stigma, we wonder how many owners might be just as happy in one.
  • Options
    triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    I just bought and installed the Manik Brush Guard for the Aztek. I think it looks pretty good (I have a white Aztek and bought the Black guard) and gives some more body and character to the front.

I shopped around quite a bit and bought it from “Best Darn Parts” (they have a link on the Manik website). They were by far the lowest in price ($420 including shipping and handling). Because of its bulk and weight, it needs to be shipped by freight truck, and others wanted more than $150 for the shipping alone!

Now to the guard itself. The device seems to be of good quality and is executed cleanly and well. It comes with the worst installation instructions I have come across in my entire life (considering that I have an engineering degree in worked in customer service management for a large company, I had the chance to see a lot of poor documentation). One has to figure it out, piece by piece. All elements fit very well (once one found out where to put them), and it is solidly attached to the front frame and braced to the engine cradles sub-frame. It is for certain that one has to mechanically inclined to make it a do-it-yourself job.

Manik has not updated its specs for the 2002 Aztek, but the 2001 guard fits just well on my 2002 Aztek. The front plastic spoiler type gismo thing (they call it an oil pan protector) has to be removed, but can be reattached after cutting the side to make room for the guard bars.

I am presently shopping for splash guards and will keep the forum informed on the outcome.
  • Options
    philnjillphilnjill Member Posts: 6
    Triumpher - I've been strongly tempted to get the Manik Guard as well. Another site that has pretty good prices is aztekparts.com. The Manik is $425 plus $27 shipping there. Now that you've got it installed, let me ask you a quick question: I've been wanted to add Tow Hooks to the front of my 'Tek. With the Manik installed, is there any space to add them? Thanks - Phil
  • Options
    Philnjill – I think you could modify some hooks to attach them to the brackets of the guard that in turn attach to the bumper channel, frame and that are braced to the sub frame. These brackets are used to attach the actual guard with three bolts. If you would use longer bolts, you should be able to add some kind of hooks/loops. You might be required to modify them to fit the hole-pattern. I would have one concern; the guard is laid out for push forces (hence the braces to the sub frame that fasten into the rather thin tabs at each side), and I don’t know how well the brackets would handle pull forces that would be applied to tow hooks (I would guess that the connection might be as good as one for a class I/marginal class II hitch).
  • Options
    noastarnoastar Member Posts: 108
    Can anyone tell me what that thing does now that we're on the subject? I really hate that thing and would rather take it out and put in a skid plate if possible. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

I like the tek, but I'd like to raise it 1-2 inches and put a skidplate up front and some protection for the axle (I have AWD). I've grounded out once and I hate it when that stupid under spoiler catches a curb or rock.

Any thoughts on this?

I'd love to hear if anyone gets splash guards. It's a real pain when it rains and the front tires kick mud all over the side.

Thanks...
  • Options
    waymoresblueswaymoresblues Member Posts: 54
    For comparison: I just ran across the extended warranty I purchased for my '01 Tek. 7 years or 100,000 miles = $1245. $0 deductible.
  • Options
    gmdronegmdrone Member Posts: 78
    That under chin thingie, is in actuality an air deflector that is designed to increase the flow of air to your radiator, trans cooler, and also the air intake for your fuel system! With the hot running engine compartments that we have today, and the critical temperature range stabilization needed for emission, performance, and fuel economy to be optomized, the Powertrain guys have come up with those plastic thingies. They can be remarkably effective, and they are also one major pain in the butt! You can try experimenting with removing it, I took one off my '84 Fiero once, for two weeks the sucker ran hotter than Hades, AND it got blown around by crosswinds, that I ended up putting a really cool chin spoiler on it that not only made it handle like a go-cart, but it also ran 40 degrees cooler, as well! The only problem came one rainy night on I-94 when I hit a tread from a semi, that naturally enough, that was standing UP in the lane, parallel to my direction of travel! But that is another story. I wouldn't leave it off the vehicle when taking it in for service, if you catch my drift.
  • Options
    gregeastongregeaston Member Posts: 128
  • Options
    gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    They had a comparo article (sort of) that included the Aztek. Interesting things to note, the article stated that the Aztek didn't win in any one category, it did above average in most. If you look through the spec sheet though you'll see that it had the fastest slalom speed, the lowest price, the most cargo room of the mid size SUV's, the best mileage of all but the wagon, and the most standard features.

I thought it was interesting though that they found it didn't excel in any one area. Oh well no big surprise here, the Honda Pilot was the overall winner. One more thing, the Aztek on average was around $8000 less than the other vehicles they compared it with.
  • Options
    wl7pvwl7pv Member Posts: 5
    been sitting on the lot for almost 2 years? The local dealer has a well loaded 2001 Aztek that has been sitting on the lot probably since they were introduced here. It's an unsold 2001, so it has to be over a year old at the very least. It has been sitting in the same spot long enough for the battery to run down-barely enough juice to open the rear hatch. My list of concerns run from dried out seals in the transnission to flat spots in the tires, am I being overly paranoid or should I focus on certain possible problems?
    I'm considering this one only because the used 2001 (with 4000 miles on it) got sold hours before I finally decided to try to make a deal on it. Figures, the one I wanted had been sitting there for 6 months and on the day I was actually willing to make a move it gets sold.Now I have to decide if the GT/leather/killer stereo/onstar is worth the $70 more a month above what I had budgeted for my new toy.
  • Options
    The leftover 2001 doesn't have the tow package-the one option I really wanted. I'm not planning to tow huge loads but it would be nice to be able to tow 2500 lbs or so.
  • Options
    I've read through here and the handling is worse without the Towing package. If I were you I'd special order an 02' model. More than likely you can get it at Invoice plus a $2k rebate.
  • Options
    lazyjinclazyjinc Member Posts: 3
    Actually only looking for the deluxe package (leather and 6-way seat for both sides etc) and maybe towing option- I live on a ranch and we do all our own maintenance anyway- problem is that on the GM website (and on Edmunds) you have to enter a zip- I'll go just about anywhere to buy for cost less incentive- and I'm tired of entering random zip codes and looking at dealer inventory in the area- I'd also consider a really reduced 2001- anybody have any ideas- I'd buy today (in pewter) or should I just wait until July and see what the new round of incentives brings since I don't really need the car until then.
  • Options
    Just go to your favorite Pontiac dealer, after you print out your options and TMV, show them the invoice and offer $200 over. Order it exactly like you want it, it should be readly just before July!
  • Options
    Wow- wish it was that easy- I've tried two dealerships in my area (Dallas)and both are asking a whole lot more or they don't have the color (pewter or champagne beige) and want me to pay the transport charge (up and back) which raises the price at least $1200 to $2000 (which is why I'm willing to go up 1000 miles to pick one up or transport it myself which cuts the transport price way-way down -checked and Chicago-Dallas is $600)

One of the dealers here even wanted more for a 2001 (love the siding- hate the tiny wheels) with essentially the same options as the 2002 and when I tried to point out that the car was a year older, they said "but the sticker price was higher on the 2001".

Sounds strange to me as I'm relating it but it is the truth. A dealer in California asked 25,300 (about $600 over invoice)and one in Florida said 26,000. Both prices were for me to pick-up there.

Unless I find a deal (maybe I have idiot written all over me when I go into the dealership so they raise the price), I'll probably just wait until the next round of incentives in July and see what the market looks like then.
  • Options
    Have you tried carsdirect.com? That's how I bought my Aztek. They didn't have any in my state, but I bought one from out of state and had it delivered for $500 to a dealership near me. The nice thing was I saved about $5000 over what all the local dealers were asking...Phil
  • Options
    Actually it is that easy, just be sure and talk to James Kennemur at Sewell Pontiac, GMC, and Olds. I bought my Aurora from him and I'm sure he won't have a problem doing that for you. Remember, you are doing all the work, all they have to do is order the car. It's a free $250 or more for them.

You can also email him at jkennemur@sewell.com for more details.

Anyway he'll give you a great deal, and your price will be really good when they apply that $2k rebate they are offering on 2002's. Like I said though, use Edmunds TMV put all the options you want on paper. That way when you get down there they don't have alot to debate with you.

If you want I can call him for you, I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping you out.
  • Options
    garthodinsongarthodinson Member Posts: 37
    It has been a while. Glad to see that this board is still going. Couple of things that I wanted to mention -

IMHO, the Buick "Bland"ezvous is okay. Whoever wrote that it has a better ride, might be right, but is very wrong when they said the 'Tek has a choppy ride. Mark Twain said it best, "God perfected the idiot, and then created the reviewer."

Pardon the flame but I get so incensed that there are "Reviewers" who can't be objective. Okay, you don't like the looks - opinions are like certain body parts, everyone has them and are entitled to that. However, don't let that bias affect the rest of your review.

I have one last thing to say on the subject - J.D. POWERS AWARD WINNER!

sorry, needed to vent.

As for the rally . . .

It promises to be a great time again this year. If you are interested but don't want to go to the yahoo group, that is fine. Just e-mail me at aztek@fast.net and I'll fill you in.

Joe
  • Options
    Hi Folks- Thanks for the responses

To philnjill: I tried CarsDirect- they don't do business in the great state of Texas

and to gmlitogation: I just sent an e-mail to James Kennemur--

Who'd have thought it would be this hard to purchase an automobile---
  • Options
    Tell him what you want, and tell him that you'll give him a couple hundred over invoice. He'll order it and you'll have it in 4-6 weeks.
  • Options
    millergrmillergr Member Posts: 17
    Hello all!! My wife and I have had our Yellow Aztek GT AWD for over a year now with over 19,000 trouble free miles. This past weekend I changed the oil again and decided to replace the air filter too. Boy is that an effort to take out!! Has anyone else attempted this yet?!?

I am a mechanical minded guy and do most of my own car repairs but this stupid air filter was a real bugger. The damn rubber hose between the air filter box and the throttle body is so tight that it is almost impossible to slide off and out of the way. It is no problem releasing the spring clips that close of the filter box but extremely difficult to pry it open because of the hose. I spent over an hour of grueling muscle strain and battered hands to remove and replace the filter. I am curious to hear what others have experienced!

Other than this minor servicing issue I have been extremely satisfied with my Tek (as are most Aztek owners).

Later Gators!

Greg
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I own a RDV but it seems to have the same engine layout as the Aztek. I too had quite a difficult time removing the air filter for inspection also due to that rubber hose - scraped knuckles and a bruise on top of my hand. I also did it when the engine was hot - I won't do that again. It was hard removing the filter and even harder putting it back! I ended up flattening the filter slightly after several attempts to reinstall it. I finally forced the filter in inbetween the opening, attach the filter in place, and then wiggle the cover until it aligned properly. My old car had the filter on top and clear of any obstruction.
  • Options
    Well, I recently replaced my 2001 Aztek GT and my wife's 1999 Honda Odyssey's air filter's with K&L filter's - they are supposed to last 50,000 miles. BOTH cars are a pain to change. My old '91 Isuzu had the good spin-the-nut type that took 60 seconds on a bad day to change. I love my Aztek but I truly hope I don't have to change either car's anytime soon.

Whoever designs these should be forced to do penance and change air filters for a month or so. Then maybe we'd get modern cars that didn't take a contortionist to change an air filter!
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    My greater fear is when I go to a quick oil change place and they check the air filter as part of the service. I don't know how bad they'll screw it up removing and putting back the filter if prior experience is true! Might have to tell them to skip the check.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I wouldn't have them check it...it doesn't need to be changed until 15,000 miles, unless you're going off-road.

Whenever I take one of my cars to Jiffy Lube, I hover over it to be sure they don't 'forget to do something'.
  • Options
    Took the plunge on a 2001 GT 1SC leftover, out the door after trading in a heavily upside down Sidekick for 23K (6K under the sticker). If anyone out there has any doubts about what a screaming kicking value the Aztek is, you really need to take another look. What else will carry a canoe, plywood, 5 real people and a bunch of stuff with the level of equipment for that price? I'm alternating between staring out the window and reading the owners manual. We Tekkers will be rather smug 5 years from now when all the cars on the road try to be what the Aztek is today!
    Can you tell I'm a little excited?
  • Options
    daweavdaweav Member Posts: 1
    finally have a hitch - from Curtmfg.com. 15 min install no drilling, class 2.5 - 2 inch reciever so you can use the good bike racks and cargo boxes. It's not listed on the web page but call them to find a local distributor. About half the price of the drawtight class 3 and cheaper then hiddenhitch class 2.
  • Options
    bobw18bobw18 Member Posts: 4
    I had the misfortune to open the drivers door on a very
    windy day and the wind took it out of my hand and bent
    the hinge and alinement. Cost was $197.00 for a new
    hinge and paint for the hinge etc.
    Thought it was funny that the door would open so far
    forward and bend the hinge.
    Another misfortune happened last weekend when a light
    wind did the same thing and again bent the hinge. There
    is no door restraint to keep door from opening beyond a
    certain point where the hinge would bend.
    Buick would not accept the fact that there is a problem
    other than document it with a case number.
    Has anyone else had this problem ?. I have heard that there were some Aztec
    problems but I am unable to find any information on the Aztec board.
    Thanks for helping me.
    Bob
  • Options
    waymoresblueswaymoresblues Member Posts: 54
    Been there done that....

I took a new air filter into my local Gas & Repair shop...I've known the guy for years and he'll bend over backwards to help me out; but he drew the line at the Air filter! He recommended I take it into the dealer - he didn't want to inadvertently screw something else up since it was such a tight job...so the dealer installed it for free when I was getting my tailgate fixed for the fifth and final time.

Bent door...deja' vu! It was a windy day, I open my door and BAM! it flew open and bent the hinges that hold the door in place. It was OFF-CENTER and RUBBED when you opened/closed it. Had the dealer repair clerk look at it, and she had me drive around to the body shop.

Body shop guy says no problem, takes out some leather gloves, wads 'em up and puts'm inside the door, and proceeds to close the door with the gloves inside, thus reversing the bend! Granted it's not textbook but this is a grey area for the warranty and I was just happy it was fixed at no cost. It's been 4 months and no problems with door since.
  • Options
    skingsskings Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my second 2002 Champagne Beige Tek. Had the first one a total of 24 days. Its a long story but the first Tek was totaled and our daughter and friend walked away (minor injuries) This vehicle saved their lives and we made a decision to purchase the same vehicle. Had to go to Fl to pick up but the trip was worth it. Saved $500 delivery so upgraded to 1SD pkg with 6 cd changer. This is our first Pontiac and we are proud owners.
  • Options
    gfoulksgfoulks Member Posts: 6
    Join us for the fun at the 2002 Aztek Rally!

http://www.aztekrally.org

• Options
    Please join us for this years Aztek Road Rally!

• Options
    Pass the word and make plans to join your fellow Tek's at the 2002 Aztek Road Rally.

• Options
    Make plans now to join your fellow Tek's at the 2002 Pontiac Aztek Road Rally!

• Options
    Bode13Bode13 Member Posts: 19
    Unless something drastic takes place, the wife and I will be taking the plunge and purchasing a fully-loaded 2002 Yellow Aztek AWD this evening.

So to paraphrase the ministers at our weddings, if anyone here has any reason why this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony with a 2002 Yellow Aztek AWD, let them speak now or forever hold their peace.
  • Options
    Best of luck! It's a good decision and I'm sure you will be very happy. I love my 2001.
  • Options
    I made this decision almost 10,000 miles ago, and I would do it again! Who cares about a pretty face (in the eyes of the beholder) if the internal qualities are tops!

About a month ago I installed a Manic brush guard and I received lots of compliments from "tough" truck guys about my nice looking "truck".

go for it, it will be a good relationship!
  • Options
    twotekstwoteks Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm Joe and I picked up my '02 yellow AWD Saturday. On the way out, my wife, Sue, (not wanting to be stuck with the '00 Olds mini van) suggested that we see what kind of a deal we could get on a leftover '01 red GT on the show room floor. The rest is history and we're the proud owners of two really fun and practical cars. Our adult daughter says we cannot be trusted together in a car dealership. I did research the teks to death and would have bought it instead of the mini van but at the time the AWD was not available. So, our purchase is not as flaky as it sounds. We look forward to getting some useful info about our teks from this web site.
  • Options
    .....the Aztek. This thing is fully loaded. I mean I think it has just about every option available. Which brings up a question (I hesitate to use the word "problem").

Has anyone else with the 6-CD stereo and HUD noticed that the CD number and Track number don't appear on the HUD when in CD mode???

The radio stations flash up there for three seconds just like they're supposed to. And the speed, high beam, and turn signal indicators all appear on the HUD just like they're supposed to. But when I'm playing CDs, I get nothing on the HUD.

Anyone have an explanation or fix???
  • Options
    Wife and I just picked up our Yellow AWD, fully loaded Aztek on Saturday. While we are absolutely thrilled with most of the vehicle, we've noticed that the CD and Track numbers do not appear on the Heads Up Display.

Anyone else experienced this? If so, can you tell me what the fix was?? I have the 6-CD stereo, and the radio station does appear on the HUD as it is supposed to. In fact, everything that is supposed to appear on the HUD does, except the CD and Track numbers.

Help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    First quick thought--Was the 6-disc radio the radio the Aztek was built with?
  • Options
    It's a fully loaded AWD, with 1SD package, and all other available options:

moonroof
    towing package
    engine block heater (I'm in Minnesota)
    6-CD stereo
    etc..
  • Options
    lbthedawglbthedawg Member Posts: 48
    Yep, it's pain. But there's a trick. Obviously you need to totally remove the snorkel that runs between the throttle body and the air box. A couple of hose clamps get loosened and the pcv tube gets removed. Here's what I did. I used some window cleaner, the spray on stuff, to lube the rubber of the snorkel. You don't want to get the stuff into the air meter but this stuff does a great job of allowing the snorkel to move. Once the snorkel is off the filter element is held by a couple clamps and the fingers that it pivots on.
  • Options
    catera1998dcatera1998d Member Posts: 10
    I have 11395 miles on my three month old 2002 Aztek. Mine is a fleet Aztek, arctic white, base + cruise and tinted windows. There are about 50 of them cruising through DFW and all but one are running trouble-free. The one that isnt had a very early death after the driver ran a stop sign...he walked away thankfully. Highest miles I know of are around 14,500 with the lowest being in the 2000 mile range. I spend a lot of time behind the wheel obviously and must say the vehicle has really grown on me. I would almost trade my Cadillac for one if it had more horsepower, rear-wheel drive,not so much dark grey plastic inside. The Buick version looks too mini-vanish for me. Overall though it has been more reliable thus far (3 months is short, but 11000+ miles isn't) than my previous Saturns at the same mileage. I was very skeptical about Pontiac reliability and have been proven wrong thus far. I will report more later.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the update, Catera1998d. Sounds encouraging.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Who's coming to the rally this year?

This year is going to be MUCH bigger than last year (which wasn't small, BTW) with the debut of the 2003 Aztek, MBRP.com's custom 'tek, Texas DAR's Katayama project 'tek and much more from a TON of sponsors.

Visit http://www.aztekrally.org/ for all the info.

• Options
    twotekstwoteks Member Posts: 5
    I have an 02 tek with the single CD. The display shows "CD" and "TK #" when I hit the volume or change tracks, but only for about 5 seconds. Maybe the 6-stack is different?
  • Options
    autobedrivingautobedriving Member Posts: 1
    We are seriously considering purchasing an Aztek but our budget has us looking at the FWD model without traction control. I have read several reviews on the internet that make mention of traction problems with the Aztek especially with Midwestern weather (rain and snow). Any owners of FWD without traction control have any comments regarding road handling?
  • Options
    I have a FWD here in the northeast and we have some hardcore winters. Never had a control problem with her.