Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy HHR Brake Problems

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    So for 3 years you KEEP going back to the same dealer and live with the problem. Can I ask a really dumb question? Why didn't you take it to another Chevy dealer when you knew the first one was out to lunch?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hello Warvin,
    I am not sure why you got the fatal message when trying to email me. My email is socialmedia@gm.com. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • golflengolflen Posts: 2
    Add me to the growing list of unsatisfied HHR owners for the same reasons that everyone else has stated. My stories are almost exactly the same as all the others. GM should find a solution and do a recall! Class Action may be the only route.
    The brake problems have been a nightmare since about 6,000 miles and at the very least every 8,000 miles thereafter. My car has 77,000 miles on it now and the dealer (s) CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. They have replaced the rotors, turned the rotors, replaced front end parts, and nothing has corrected the problem.
  • snowmomansnowmoman Posts: 20
    I have had two posts removed by the moderator because I was unkind to GM. You are not going to get help here. Does KBB have a forum?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,046
    Brake problems might need replacement of the calipers with rebuilt calipers.
    Hello Golflen,
    I am sorry that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you please email me your contact information, dealership, current mileage, VIN and what is going on with the brakes? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • I've been experiencing the same brake and vibrations problems most people been describing here.

Based on my experience I will NEVER EVER buy another Chevy nor any other GM product again. The poorest customer service ever at the dealer ship and the most incompetent idiots in the associated "Good Wrench" service department!
    Brought the car in to address breaking noises, car came out with vibrations which did not exist before but break noise still persisted. Car was back at dealer another 3 times for the same problem. Finally break noise was gone... ...for about 3-4 months and now came back. Mechanics were too stupid to fix the vibrations they caused and started blaming it on the tires.

For anybody who had / is having bad experience with dealer, join the facebook group "Payback time for crook car dealers!" and let people now which dealer to avoid.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,233
    Sounds like you needed to find a better dealer for service.

I had rotor issues with mine also, but I don't use the brakes any more then I have to and managed to get around 85k miles on the first ones. My independent mechanic likely replaced them with ones from some auto parts store and so far after 12k miles I haven't had further problems. Time will tell if the end up working better.
    Hello Chevy_sucks,
    I apologize that your experience with your dealership wasn't a better one. Can you please email me your VIN, dealership, current mileage and contact info? Can you also provide some more details in your situation? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • Thanks for your quick response, Mariah!

I'll send you the details if not today the latest by tomorrow.
    You're welcome. Thank you for getting back to me.
    -Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Mariah,

I've just emailed you the requested info not too long ago.

However, I forgot to mention that last Friday I experienced such heavy vibrations when I had to hit to break on the expressway, it scared the mess out of me.

Due to that, I couldn't wait any longer for somebody at Chevy to finally step up to their responsibilities and I went to fix the brakes; new rotors and pads on both sides.

While taking off the caliper bracket, my friend (a certified mechanic) immediately noticed that one of the sliding pins was dead froze in the bracket; it was completely stuck due to rust. Being this froze/stuck, the problem must have been going on since day one, but the GM certified & trained mechanics didn't manage the fix this although the car was at the Goodwrench service center four times.

We also noticed that on this bracket/brake pads (back) was so much grease it wasn't funny anymore. Which is another indication that your mechanics only tried to patch the problem rather than fixing it for good.

Considering that due to this frozen bolt there must have been at least some constant pressure on the brakes, it's not surprising that this triggered the traction control warn light which then triggered the check engine light - which is another often reported issue in this forum.

As there wasn't any auto parts store around that actually had caliper bracket for this car on stock, we broke free the sliding bolt, sanded off all the rust on the bolt and inside the bracket, greased it well and put it back together.
    The brakes are working just fine for now, but this "work around" can't be a permanent solution especially since the plastic boot on this one pin/bolt is broken; a brand new caliper kit is needed.

Now there are some questions to be answered:
    - who's gonna reimburse for my expenses I had to fix one problem GM mechanics failed to fix?
    - who's gonna cover the expenses to fix the problem with the Traction Control Warn Light / Check Engine Light?

If Chevy / GM is finally stepping up to the plate and do what should have been done from the beginning on - taking care of the customer - I'll be happy to report it here and everywhere else....
    Re caliper problem:

See my reply in post #157: "Brake problems might need replacement of the calipers with rebuilt calipers."

The people with grabbing or shaking feeling when the brakes are applied will often have a caliper that's not working correctly. The other cause is a warped rotor which will often be felt at relatively low speeds as a pedal vibration.

Rotors warp from abuse such as overheating, driving through puddles of water with the brakes very hot from a recent stop, or dragging calipers that don't release fully.

Once a rotor is overheated or warped, in my opinion, it's done and needs to be replaced.

To those who have come here and complain loudly that their disk brakes are shaking, replace the rotors, calipers (and caliper pins), and put on new pads. Your problem will be gone.

Thank you for getting back with me. I did send you an email back requesting some more information. Thank you,
  • edesimoneedesimone Posts: 1
    I, too, have run into a string of Chevy dealers with lousy sales and maintenance departments in my years of moving around the country in the military. I started using GMC dealers and found they were better service departments for some reason. Presently I am using Tincher's in Plattsmouth, Nebraska and Joey Whistler has done right by me on a number of occasions. Last Fall I purchased a used 2008 HHR with 25,000 miles. The brakes were fine. At around 37,000 miles we started getting the front end shaking the steering wheel while braking. Took it in and he turned the rotors. The problem was back the next day. I went online and saw horror stories in these forums regarding these brakes. I immediately began to consider unloading the car. I told Joey what I found, and that most people are saying the problem is unfixable and grounds for a recall. He said he's done the brakes on multiple HHRs for returning customers at his dealership and has had no problems. He dug into it and found out that Chevy instructs them to turn the rotors with them still on the car to save the costs of removing calipers. That's what he followed the first time and the rotors appear to turn true using that method. However, he had his guys remove the rotors and turn them off the car to check them and they were in fact still warped. This trued up the rotors and he threw in new brake pads and so far it has been smooth as silk. I hope the problem doesn't persist, because I would unload the car and scrap plans to buy a new Equinox as well. It sounds like other people have tried new rotors and brake pads and still haven't fixed it, but maybe this information will help someone if they share it with their dealer.
    > found out that Chevy instructs them to turn the rotors with them still on the car to save the costs of removing calipers.

That would explain why others had their rotors turned and the problem returned. I still surmise that caliper slides and their lubrication especially in super hot climates and super salted climates is a problem.

I also am not a fan of turning brake rotors, off or on the car. Medium quality replacements are relatively inexpensive, especially if you are able to replace them yourself. And highest quality, such as Raybestos Super Technology or NAPA Ultra rotors with a rust proofed powdered coating on the nonworking surfaces to keep them from showing rust, cost not a whole lot more for the extra quality they offer.

By GM not having the calipers removed to remove the brackets holding them, they probably missed a lot of binding caliper slides and bolts that needed work.
  • imdisgruntledimdisgruntled Posts: 6
    edited June 2010
    I have the exact same issue, Actually I started searching today after booking an appointment for service to see if there might be something else ... I have had an alignment done, tire balance, brakes done, rotors turned and had come to the conclusion that it must be bearings. I was about to go get them done but remembered a friend said he bought a HHR for his wife and had the same issues.
    I have been a faithful Chevy owner / leaser for the last 6 cars but have been seriously considering dumping this HHR and getting a Japanese car (Sounds bad i Know). I have had my front end shaking pretty much since I bought it and have tried everything and the dealers and I have tried a few just go with what I think ... they don't tell me there is a serious issue. There definitely should be a recall for these cars. :mad:
    Hello Imdisgruntled,
    I apologize that you are experiencing issues with your vehicle. Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • Thank You Mariah,
    All Issues I have had are now satisfied by the dealer. I appreciate your help.
    Andy
    You're welcome Andy! :) I am glad that everything went well with your dealer.
    - Mariah GM Customer Service