Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    The bottom line is, it's probably best to drive the vehicle for 8-10 years or 80,000-100,000 miles (or until the vehicle almost won't run anymore!). That's the best value for your money. Then when it is time to trade up to new, the difference in trades between Will's Explorer and Dave's RX300 will only be 1-2grand. And if you keep your car in shape for that long, you will get a little something for it. Plus- isn't it a great feeling to drive a car that's paid for?
  • Options
    msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    Ummmm... any answer to my other question?
    Why exactly do you need the AWD?
    Thank you, - MS.
  • Options
    chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    >> Why exactly do you need the AWD?

Agility, safety, and driving pleasure, I guess, and better offroad capability is another reason. AWD helps you to retain control of the vehicle mainly in slippery road conditions, but also in normal conditions when you make turns at high speeds. Good AWD system delivers so much more safety. I used to drive 2WD car with antilock brakes and I’ve experienced antilock brakes activation many times, even in a normal road condition. Now, while driving the AWD SUV, my brakes have never locked yet even in a heavy rain.

Some AWD systems differ form the others. For instance, Mitsubishi Outlander’s AWD system has 4WD Lock, 4WD Auto and 2WD modes. The electronically controlled 4WD Auto mode operates in response to accelerator pedal action, and feedback control, which monitors the speed of the four wheels and computes any difference between front and rear wheel rotation speeds. The 4WD Auto is a “smart” mode, which delivers the optimal amount of torque for driving conditions while maintaining better fuel economy. 4WD Lock mode places priority on performance vs. fuel economy delivering consistent torque to rear the wheels.

BMW xDrive is a similar intelligent AWD system. Some others are not as good. It is fair to say, therefore, that vehicle with good AWD system guides you round corners just like a vehicle running on rails.
  • Options
    mchappellmchappell Member Posts: 52
    "Now, while driving the AWD SUV, my brakes have never locked yet even in a heavy rain."

This probably has more to do with tires and/or brakes than the fact that it's AWD. In a braking situation, AWD should have no effect - this is why you see AWD vehicles in the ditch during snow storms; people over-estimate the assistance that AWD provides.

Mark
  • Options
    Whoa! talk about being the last to know. I just found out that Ford is going to do another Explorer- on a unibody platform. I'm shocked. And while I shouldn't be- all Ford has is tall station wagons (and the small Escape)- how many CUV's can they handle? Well I guess This is the start of a new segment- unibodys that actually replace body on frames. I know this is the case of the off road/ towing capable Toureg. The MDX Tows 5000lbs. So this could be a real hit for Ford if towing and offroading live up to real SUV expectations(doesn't seem too hard-Subarus offroad well).It would be the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    I was totally shocked by the results of the J.D. rankings. I have to congratulate Ford. Maybe since they have the quality over Toyota, they will gain some sales. The Edge seemed to perform really well.I was also shocked by the fact that GM dropped so low. What happened GM?! You guys were doing so well. Oh well- lately GM seems to have been doing well at fixinng their mistakes. I bet since there will be less model launches next year, GM can improve on some of these problems, and move up some spaces on the rankings.
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I was totally shocked by the results of the J.D. rankings

I'm not. Toyota, etc were tired of paying for ads using the JD Powers results, but Ford was ready to pay a lot more, so thus the results! :P

Seriously, though, doesn't anybody look at the actual NUMBERS?

I believe it was something like 100 defects per 100 vehicles vs. 99 defects per hundred vehicles? Talk about differences that make no difference.

And it's been that way for quite some time, even when Toyota/etc were "winning" this silly game.
  • Options
    carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    1. Mchappell is right; AWD really only helps while you are accelerating (or trying to). During braking or coasting through a corner, any ol' ABS and stability-control systems would be your weapons against physics.

2. As far as needing AWD... in Dallas, you probably don't. (I live in D/FW as well) True, I bought my CX-7 with AWD, but even I admit it's overkill for the metroplex. I bought it more for the unknown, and because of the fact that I was replacing a 4x4. (on-demand AWD ain't quite the same, but it made me feel better about losing my rough-and-ready pickup ;)) On our "annual ice day" this year, the Mazda AWD served me well - but how much better it was than plain-vanilla FWD is hard to say. Truth is, a decently-tired FWD car with its weight biased over its front wheels will get you through 90% of what weather can do to a paved road. And these CUVs weren't really meant to do the unpaved thing, so you have to weigh whether you could ever conceivably travel somewhere where you get prolonged ice/snow against the cost and efficiency hits. For me, it was worth the money and loss of 1 mpg to have AWD and not need it - rather than end up needing it and not have it.

-c92
  • Options
    freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    It's better than not being ahead of toyota and it is win regardless of the margin. Ford get's the praises they deserve and they should in light of the improvement. We'd just continue to hear mindnumbing toyota is great banter if it was another toyota "win". Good news for Ford and hopefully it can help them to improve from last years horrible losses.
  • Options
    It's better than not being ahead of toyota and it is win regardless of the margin. Ford get's the praises they deserve and they should in light of the improvement

As you probably know, I own a couple of Fords, and have owned many Fords . . in fact, that's all I've owned. ;)

Still, I think this whole JD Powers "winner" thing is completely RIDICULOUS.

I mean, come on . . 99 vs. 100 defects out of a hundred cars is what separates #1 and #2, and people think this is a big thing?

IIRC from years past, the entire range was something like 0.5 defects per car up to maybe 2 defects per car. Hardly worth noticing, IMO.

And be honest . . it ain't gonna help Ford anyway, 'cuz the foreign-car-lovers will just say "so what, their long-term reliability is still crap". :P ;)
  • Options
    Can't argue with the ridiculous aspect of it all but in light of ford's issue's I would hope it might help a bit to be able to tout the results. Average buyers look at this stuff and use it to make decisions regardless of margins or how the results were come to so while basically meaningless to one cross section of buyers there are others that pay attention.
  • Options
    dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Do you have a CX-9? or did you get something else...
    In one of the major upsets of the year (odds were on the 08 Tribeca ;), Juice (ateixeira) purchased an 07 Sienna LE, package 3. :)
  • Options
    brown99brown99 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, sounds cool!
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Whoa! talk about being the last to know. I just found out that Ford is going to do another Explorer- on a unibody platform.

That is the rumor. MT and C&D both did small writeups about it too.

Another part of that rumor is that the unibody Explorer and the Mustang will drop the Cologne 4.0L V6 and get the new Duratec37 which is going into Lincoln RWD vehicles. I'm pretty sure the 3.7L is only being built for RWD right now so it does make some sense. Switching the Explorer to a unibody that tows 4 or 5 tons may not be such a good idea IMO.
  • Options
    Still, I think this whole JD Powers "winner" thing is completely RIDICULOUS.

Hey- it doesn't matter to Ford. They need all the good publicity they can get! And since they now "wear the pants" in quality, those auto buyers who only look at auto ratings of this kind (instead of tests by auto magazines) will be drawn to Ford. On a side note- I bet Ford won't be selling Volvo. I mean Land Rover and Jag I can clearly see. but why would they sell a company with which they share so much in safety and platforms with? Plus- Volvo is profitable- unlike their other European brands.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    difference in trades between Will's Explorer and Dave's RX300 will only be 1-2grand

You'd be surprised. Check the RWTIV thread to see what a used Lexus RX will fetch, you will be SHOCKED. It's ridiculous.

OK, just searched on cars.com for used 99 models for both. Ready to be floored?

99 Explorers range in asking price from $2,500 to $10,777.

99 RX300s range in asking price from $12,000 to $17,000.

So you guestimated $1-2 grand, but it's actually $9500 on the low end or about $6000 on the high end.

Point being, if you much prefer the Lexus, go for it. You get most of it back later anyway.

There are some opportunity costs because you tie up more money, but if you like it better and will be happier in the long run, the difference in cost isn't as much as you'd think.
  • Options
    I looked at these but the sizes were very limited. I saw 7" screens. You might be able to squeeze in an 8" screen, I suppose.

We got a monster sized 12" screen. It does block the top half of the rear view mirror but I turn around when I'm backing up anyway, and it does not obstruct that view.
  • Options
    So you guestimated $1-2 grand, but it's actually $9500 on the low end or about $6000 on the high end.

Well, it's about comparing apples to apples. The loaded Explorer worth 10 grand vs. the lower model RX worth 12 grand. They both prabably have about the same equipment. And another thing- the longer you own two cars, the closer in value they will be. The Lexus costs 40 grand from the start whereas the Explorer might only have cost 28, but after 8-10 years and 120k miles (random figures) they will be very close at the end in value.
  • Options
    nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    ...And since they now "wear the pants" in quality...

Remember the days when Ford advertised "Quality is Job 1"? They couldn't back it up back then. It's kinda sad that improving quality has been one of their major goal for years now, at a time when other companies have been designing more exciting vehicles. Maybe a quick attempt at a 6-sigma initiative has improved initial quality, but it's really the 3-year numbers I'm interested in. Heck, the whole Consumer Reports crowd only seems to look at long term reliability...it's engrained in their brains!!!

That being said, I will probably take a look at the Taurus X: now that it has more power and a different front-end, it's more appealing than the outgoing FS.
  • Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    First of AWD is very important and a great feature as someone mentioned the reasons etc. Just know that Audi and Subaru have the best AWD systems and that many others are not true full time AWD.

Also, JD Power is totally bogus and means nothing just like Car and Driver, Motor Trend and other advertiser paid outfits and magazines.

The only trustworty and un advertiser paid Car reviews/ratings is Consumer Reports.

I currently have a 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca loaded with NAV and dvd, many accessories including 07 special edition mesh grille and retractable cargo cover, plus 20" wheels and tires with front windows tinted to match the back. Subaru lettering and front log removed, it gets a lot of compliments and questions of what it is.

Its been a fun and enjoyable suv but in the end a little short on power at only 250 HP. The 08 now has a 3.5L of the same boxer engine (which is symetrical in weight and low center of gravity like the porsche boxer engine which ironically the Cayenne doesnt have making the tribeca more like a porsche suv then the cayenne) but I would love an STi version of the Tribeca. there is rumor to possibly be a Turbo 2008 Tribeca which is reskinned btw with an front and rear fascia that appeals to more ppl though I prefer the more unique 06-07 front and rear end design as the 08 looks mor elike every other suv.

Anyway, I will be looking to sell it or trade it in for a new SUV sometime between the next few months to as long as 2 years.

Currently I am interested in the MDX for the features and tech for the money but realize the design isn't that exciting. I have become interested in the Mazda CX-9 even though I didn't like the styling of the CX-7 much at all.

Any suggestions on what is good now or what me worth waiting for that will have everything my B9 Tribeca has and more especially hopefully more then 250 HP.
  • Options
    msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    Not sure what all the B9 Tribeca has, but here are the ones with HP > 250 and a 3rd row:

2008 Buick Enclave
    2007 GMC Acadia
    2007 Honda Pilot (may be slightly less HP)
    2008 Hyundai Veracruz
    2007 Saturn Outlook
    2008 Toyota Highlander (not available yet)

Personally, I liked the dash of the B9 Tribeca better than any of the above. Only match is the Acura MDX. Regards, - MS.
  • Options
    arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    If your interested in going slightly smaller and slightly less power, the Hyundai Santa Fe has a fairly comfortable 3rd row and 242hp. Nav will not be available on the Veracruz and Santa Fe until 2008 though.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Which just received the IIHS top pick, couple with the NHTSA 5 stars all around.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Also, JD Power is totally bogus and means nothing just like Car and Driver, Motor Trend and other advertiser paid outfits and magazines.

The only trustworty and un advertiser paid Car reviews/ratings is Consumer Reports.

Enough of conspiracy theories. Neither JD Power nor CR are perfect, but just because a magazine has advertisers doesn't mean their data or car reviewers are slanted. If you think that's the case, then show me any correlation between numbers of ads in a magazine to how they rate their cars...I see plenty of Subaru advertisements, so why isn't their initial quality ratings higher? Plus I’m sure if car reviewers in theses different magazines were all given lists on how much advertising dollars a particular car company brings in order to influence a reviewers rating, then the press would be all over it, unless again you believe there’s a giant conspiracy involving every car reviewer out there. And since CR is only polling its readers and not a random sample of the population, it’s not perfect either.

JD Power is good for initial (INITIAL) quality ratings, and CR is a good general (GENERAL) guide for comparison. Not perfect, but if you use JD Power, CR, along with other magazine reviews, on-line research, Edmunds forums, recommendation of friends and family, along with extensive test drives, you should be able to find a good vehicle. But don’t expect any one source to be perfect.
    rating higher.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the 28k and 40k assumptions, I'm sure a loaded Explorer 4WD Limited cost more than that and back then I doubt an RX300 cost 40k either, especially since they came in FWD.
  • Options

Way off. CR is not the best at testing cars. There mesurement sytem is really wierd, and if they are right, the BMW X5 6 cylinder gets from 0-60 about 5 tenths of a second slower than Acadia. Now- don't get me wrong- CR has as much credibility as motortrend, or any othermagazine, but NO MORE. Plus- sometimes i think they are a little biased. In example- the Saturn Aura has been a hit with many testers, but CR easily plays them down while playing up their Super Toyota Camry. they may not accept advertising, niether do they falsly advertise, but they are not the best at what they do.
  • Options
    Just guesses. I've seen current loaded Explorers in my paper for 33-34g, and I know an RX can go for 45g not totally topped out.
  • Options
    RX went upscale, though, and prices have increased a lot since 1999. RX300, then RX330, now RX350.

The opposite has happened with the Explorer. Massive incentives have brought prices down.

I was looking at what buyers paid back in 1999. There's no way a stripped base RX300 cost $45 grand back then.
  • Options
    BMW X5 6 cylinder gets from 0-60 about 5 tenths of a second slower than Acadia

Acadia has a lot more power, why is that not feasible to you? You can't dismiss a CR review with logic like that. :sick:

Saturn Aura has been a hit with many testers, but CR easily plays them down while playing up their Super Toyota Camry

Again, Saturn puts an antiquated pushrod engine in the base model (which most people buy, BTW) with an outdated 4 speed automatic. The hybrid model is decidedly 2nd class with a mild hybrid setup and fuel economy not even close to what Toyota can obtain.

If you want to compare the sporty models the Toyota's V6 has both more power and better fuel economy using Direct Injection technology that I'm sure GM will add in about, oh, 5 more years.

Shoot, if you ask me, CR is the only pub with the guts to call it like it is, i.e. no influence from advertising dollars.

The Aura is a just a warmed over Epsilon, a bit too similar to the G6 it's based on. The only reason other mags were so impressed is that their expectations were low.

Frankly the Lambas are a far, far better effort.
  • Options
    ahhh the toyota koolaide with a twist of CR shaken not stirred because there is nothing stirring about a toyota...kidding
  • Options
    Acadia has a lot more power, why is that not feasible to you? You can't dismiss a CR review with logic like that.

The Acadia has more power than the VeraCruz, but which one's the quickest? The lighter one.

Again, Saturn puts an antiquated pushrod engine in the base model (which most people buy, BTW) with an outdated 4 speed automatic. The hybrid model is decidedly 2nd class with a mild hybrid setup and fuel economy not even close to what Toyota can obtain.

What does Toyota put in it's base model? the inline 4 with Shoot, if you ask me, CR is the only pub with the guts to call it like it is, i.e. no influence from advertising dollars.

Guts to call it like it is? Who doesn't call it like it is? When fo you hear car and driver saying "car xxx has this disadvantage, this disadvantage, etc. But we still think it's great becuase they payed us more!" CR makes no bold statement. If they called it like it is, they might have aknowledged something like, oh, how the Pontiac Grand Prix beats the Avalon in quality.
    As for the Aura being a warmed over Epsilon, It may very well be, but warmed over Epsilon must be pretty darned good if it beats out the new Camry for 2007 Noth Ameerican Car of the Year. that says it all to me! Sorry for getting off topic.
  • Options
    JD Power of CR have credibility for me less, vs. ratings by real owners at edmunds.com, autos.yahoo.com, and autos.msn.com.
  • Options

And I only trust them as far as I can throw their magazine into the wind during a Category-Five hurricane. :P
  • Options
    >> Just know that Audi and Subaru have the best AWD systems

Why would they be the best?

Mitsubishi, for instance has won the Dakar rally 12 times, 7 last in a row - you need a pretty darn good AWD system to achieve that. Germans did win the rally in 2001, but they avoided Audi, driving guess what? Mitsubishi.
  • Options
    Mitsubishi, for instance has won the Dakar rally 12 times, 7 last in a row - you need a pretty darn good AWD system to achieve that. Germans did win the rally in 2001, but they avoided Audi, driving guess what? Mitsubishi.

That argument really doesn't work. Victories in events where vehicles are very highly modified don't always translate into great systems for regular passenger vehicles. The rally-bred Evo is probably a better example of Mitsubishi's AWD prowess in action.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    CR may not be influenced by advertising dollars, but they are not always completely honest either. I'm not real impressed with JD either...many surveys I've seen are vague and the optional answers don't really offer a complete choice. I get that feeling about some of JDs surveys and results...just my opinion.

Verdict on Consumer Reports: false, but not damaging. After a two-month trial, a federal jury found Thursday that the magazine had made numerous false statements in its October 1996 cover story assailing the 1995-96 Isuzu Trooper sport utility vehicle as dangerously prone to roll over, but declined to award the Japanese carmaker any cash damages. The jury found that CR's "testing" had put the vehicle through unnatural steering maneuvers which, contrary to the magazine's claims, were not the same as those to which competitors' vehicles had been subjected. Jury foreman Don Sylvia said the trial had left many jurors feeling that the magazine had behaved arrogantly, and that eight of ten jurors wanted to award Isuzu as much as $25 million, but didn't because "we couldn't find clear and convincing evidence that Consumers Union intentionally set out to trash the Trooper". The jury found eight statements false but in only one of the eight did it determine CR to be knowingly or recklessly in error, which was when it said: "Isuzu ... should never have allowed these vehicles on the road." However, it ruled that statement not to have damaged the company, despite a sharp drop in Trooper sales from which the vehicle later recovered. The magazine sees fit to interpret these findings as "a complete and total victory for Consumer's Union" (attorney Barry West) and "a complete vindication" (CU vice president David Pittle)
  • Options
    practicalpractical Member Posts: 53
    Mostly because of snow, I'm in NJ and ski in the winter. And, sometime the wet road after rains.

Offroad? Don't think so.

None of the C/SUV I'd tested can easily fit in 1 or 2 bikes.

Toyota never has the driving fun as Honda, but this is the best so far I can get.

At your own risk of let someone put in a DVD for you, dealers can turn their back against you anytime whenever you need the warranty service.
  • Options
    No no no no no, you weren't talking about the Veracruz, you were talking about the BMW X5 6 cylinder.

Let's go to Edmunds and look it up....

BMW X5:
    4982 lbs
    260 hp
    225 ft-lbs of torque

GMC Acadia:
    4936 lbs
    275 hp
    251 ft-lbs of torque

So the Acadia is lighter and more powerful, and more importantly offers a lot more torque to pull its lesser weight.

Yet you criticized CR for measuring a 0.5s advantage in 0-60.

Sorry but that sounds like bias against CR.

It would be a natural conclusion that a lighter and more powerful and torquier vehicle would be quicker.

Noone said anything about the Veracruz.

CR was right.
  • Options
    The argument does work. Consistant victories do indicate, that the manufacturer has the expertise of building the best off-road cars.

After all, the other brands are "very highly modified" as well, but they could not achieve anything as significant.
  • Options
    I disagree.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Subaru fan, yet their WRC cars are built by Prodrive in England. It's not even the same company.

Sure, the chassis is the same, but heavily reinforced with roll cages. The AWD system is different. They use a completely custom sequential shift transmission. The engine is very highly tuned but does start with a Subaru block.

If a WRC Impreza beats a Lancer it does not mean the one on the road is superior (even though I think it is, LOL).

It means Prodrive did a great job building a million dollar race car.

I'm sure it's the same with Mitsubishi, perhaps even more $$$ involved actually.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "And I only trust them as far as I can throw their magazine into the wind during a Category-Five hurricane."

Would that be in the eye of the hurricane? :P :P
  • Options
    Funny how people always rehash this 1996 Consumer Report story when trying to bash the magazine. Can't you find anything more recent (for cars)? If that's the only iffy report that CR had 10 years ago, that's a pretty good track record in my opinion. If you want to go and bash a magazine, how about Motor Trend? Just look at some of their choices for Car of the Year back in the '90s (e.g. Dodge Caravan, Chevy Malibu, Chrysler Cirrus, etc) and tell me how advertising dollars didn't influence those crappy decisions.
  • Options
    Yes, crappy decisions, but no, I cannot believe that COY is bought with ad dollars.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Some folks more knowledgeable that us have accused MT of that. Could be...
  • Options
    "The argument does work. Consistant victories do indicate, that the manufacturer has the expertise of building the best off-road cars."

It doesn't translate to those on the road though. The Montero is the only model suited to true off-road duty, and it is underpowered and overburdoned. Even the Ford Explorer gets better gas mileage with it's 77 more horsepower. The Lancer EVO's AWD is on-road only. Subaru's AWD system for the WRX STI is much tougher... for a car. The Endeavor and Outlander are very light duty at best.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    There have been several other lawsuits against CR for various issues. Suzuki, Sharper Image, some dog food companies, etc. My point was that CR is not alway completely honest in their methods and perhaps their intent. IMHO they are not the ultimate authority to be accepted unquestioned in their opinions and test results of all products.

Consumer Reports was found to have been much less than honest in the Isuzu article by a jury. "In 2000, a jury found that seven statements in the magazine article were untrue and one was published with reckless disregard for the truth." Maybe they have learned their lesson, but you can not deny that they found to be less than on the up and up in this case. No comment on MT since I do not follow them on a regular basis.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    So what source would you use?
  • Options
    As you can imagine, the pure act of CR being sued does not necessarily mean that CR is wrong. Many of these suits are calculated business decisions to defend themselves in the eye of the public (just like companies will sue individuals in order to silence them, knowing they don't have the cash to defend themselves).

By the way, that 2000 jury statement is actually from the original 1996 case, so it's not a new case. And Isuzu did all it could to defame CR even before suing, and even then could not show clear and convincing evidence that CR had "rigged" the test. Although I do agree with you that CR was probably trying too hard to tip that Trooper in order to make a point.

With that said, I trust CR for long-term info, and anything short term I take mainly from Edmunds.
  • Options
    This is not a crossover forum anymore! What's doing on? Where's the host?
  • Options
    chuckhoychuckhoy Member Posts: 420
    We are crossing-over into CR bashing. ;)