Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    Yes the 2005 base engine gets (electronic throttle control) that's Scooby speak for drive by wire. The fuel injection system is different too. I don't know exactly what they changed, but when I looked at a base 2005 engine it appeared different to me, but not radically so. As far as the auto tranny goes, I just bought a 2005 XT & it's auto is so much smoother than the one in my 2000 Forester L. If you have previous Subaru auto experience you'll like the change in feel. I hope that helped you some.

Chuck
  • Options
    chayneschaynes Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody altered the Forester sunroof deflector to decrease wind noise? I notice when I pull it down about 1" during cruise the noise decreases, but pull it down further and the noise gets louder again. After 2+ years of listening to this roar, I am ready to do some "engineering." Any ideas besides using one of those tacky plastic aftermarket defectors?
  • Options
    psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I know this has nothing to do with Foresters but I heard Subaru is suppose to come out with a full size suv with a third row this year but I never hear anything about it. Does anyone know any thing about this?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I bet you heard about the Subaru B9X.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    patriciarpatriciar Member Posts: 2
    For 2 years, I've taken my 98 Forester to a respected local shop. When the car was 6yrs old and had 54,000K miles, I decided to have the 60K Maintenance done. The timing belt and front brakes were replaced, along with the seals (plus fluids replaced, tires rotated, etc.)Cost = $1,100.

At the next oil change, the manager who had been at the shop for 24 yrs was gone. His replacement insisted that the 60K maintenance had NOT been done. Later that day, when I picked the car up, the bill read "30K Service" ($475). He then said tune up and fuel injection ($500)would be needed soon. He also suggested new tires, because "they've worn out from sitting around" even though they have plenty of tread and only about 20K on them."

The car now has 57,000 miles on it, will be 7 years old in March, and I've spent $1600 in maintenance and need to spend another $500 before hitting the road for Xmas.

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not I have I been ripped off?

Thx!
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Independent shop vs. Subaru dealer?

1) Do you have a receipt, work order, something that says they were supposed to do the 60k maintenance?

2) Tune up - hey, at the 30 & 30 they're supposed to replace the spark plugs and that is the bulk of the tune up..... Fuel and Air filters should have been done at 30 and 60k as well.

3) Fuel Injection - if the car's running well, over the course of your next few fuel fill-ups throw in a can/bottle of fuel injector cleaner - lots of folks here use Techron. You should only need to get the car's fuel injectors cleaned if you're having drivability or idling issues - hesitation, rough idle, stalling. etc.

4) I can live with changing tires after 6 or 7 years due to aging, but these are only a few years old w/20k on them. No way they've "worn out from sitting".

5) If you can get your paperwork in order, and it does detail what you've paid for - parts, belts, filters, etc (and it should be itemized), let the gentleman know you're going to complain to the Better Business Bureau about him.

If its a Subaru shop, complain loudly to SOA about this joker.

Were I you, I wouldn't darken his doorway again.

HTH

Larry
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I think you have been ripped off, sorry to say.

The timing belt is not even on the 60K service for one thing.

The 30K and 60K services involve replacing the plugs and air/fuel filters (among other things), which is about as much of a "tuneup" as you can do on the Forester. That's about $30-40 in parts and a couple hours labor tops.

You should take a good look at the maintenance schedule and ONLY do what is recommended. I have a feeling that shop is doing what they want to do in order to make the most money.

Craig
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Craig, having just ordered a couple of the OEM fuel filters for an '03 Forester, they list at $26 and are $19 each at a discounted price. Not as pricey as the cabin air filter though, OEM is $40 discounted at $30. "Parts" for the 30k and 60k (including new spark plug wires at the 60k, Mobil 1 at each service, and alt/ac belts at the 60k) will run $100 and $150 respectively.

John
  • Options
    patriciarpatriciar Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to Larry and Craig for the replies and esp. the detailed information... after the steam stops coming out of my ears, I am calling the shop owner, and if I can't get some satisfaction, it's off to the BBB. Again, much thanks!
  • Options
    John, I was just trying to include the "tuneup" related parts. I think I spent a total of $80 or so on all parts and fluids for my wife's 03 Forester at the 30K maintenance.

For the cabin air filter, a lot of people have had good luck re-using the frame but packing it with material cut from a 3M house air filter. I think I would try that next time around. The Subaru cabin filters are indeed expensive.

Craig
  • Options
    The cabin air filter, expensive as it is, is in line with Ford and Hyundai. Ford mounts their's external to the system (under the windshield cowling) and I think its the best of the three since all the air is filtered before it ever enters the cabin.

Larry (who looked at on 05 OBW XT yesterday and hasn't stopped drooling yet).....
  • Options
    I still drool when I drive mine, 5 months later! Very nice car indeed.

Craig
  • Options
    jbdc1jbdc1 Member Posts: 3
    We have the baby seat in the middle. It fits there, but does keep me from pushing the front seat all the way back as I prefer when I drive, but usually it's only my wife driving the car so it's not a big issue. If you put the seat on the side in back, I think it will force the seat in front of it to be even further forward. If all three of us are in the car, one adult usually rides in back next to the baby anyway, and we push up the front passenger seat as far as it goes so there is plenty of leg room in the back that way. We have to switch to a bigger seat soon and I'm worried that may be pretty tight. We'll see.
  • Options
    saxysaxy Member Posts: 9
    Just got a 2005 Forester AT-x/ after driving it a bit more demanding (higher speed) than I did in my test drives it seems the steering is signficantly looser than my old 92 Acura Integra (which I kept of course)-- is there any way to tighten the steering a bit? Wish I had paid more attention in the test drives.

The old Integra really does have excellent steering and it only gets more responsive the faster you go - the forester seems very loose at high speeds to me... anyone have anything to report on this?
  • Options
    a_buma_bum Member Posts: 16
    Saxy -

I just got a 2005 Forester about a month ago and my other car is an '01 Celica that is just outstanding when it comes to steering and cornering. Since the Forester is a SUV, I would say this is an apples/oranges comparison. I've never even thought of trying to drive the Forester like I drive the Celica. Also, I had a Grand Cherokee about seven years ago and the steering on that thing was really loose. To me, the Forester seems like a decent balance between being responsive and being a comfortable cruiser.
  • Options
    jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    Hey Gang,

Does anybody know a good site for Subaru parts and accessories?

I know for the CR-V this site: http://www.handa-accessories.com/ is excellent b/c it also includes the installation instructions.

Does anything like this exist for the 05 Forester?

Jopopsy
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Close to getting a Forester. Was thinking about getting the hitch and the bike attachment. I'm not a serious rider but need to get the bikes services once or twice a year. Before going to the extra expense, especially if I lease rather than buy, will at least one normal sized adult bike fit in the rear with the back seats folded? Will it fit with both wheels on? We have 2 bikes but nothing says we can't do one at a time if need be. Thanks!
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/library.html - they have installation instructions for almost all accessories.
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    With the seats folded, one adult bike fits in the back with both wheels on. Two bikes with front wheels off. I also have a hitch and a 3-bike carrier. I can actually carry five bikes in my '04 Forester with this setup.
  • Options
    subi98subi98 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 98 subaru forester. it has 89,000 miles on it. i have had the oil changed on it every 3,000 miles and have had all routine service essentially done by the dealer. i even bought the extended warrenty.

i brought my subi to get an oil change at a local garage and they said they hear a knocking near the oil pump. they had me bring the subi back a few days later.........and now say the engine is ready to fail! they gave me some mechanics chat room stuff regarding short piston skirts in certain yr models(98's), and said it happens after the warrenty expires or usually after 60,000 miles.

i searched for a class action suit but found none. does any one know of this problem? i contacted the dealer who is currently reviewing the problem. i thought the car should last well into the 120,000mile minimum. HELP?

nancy
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Yes, one bike fits fine with wheels on. For 2 you can use one of the many models that hook over the hatch; much cheaper than buying the hitch/attachment.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    jtm4jtm4 Member Posts: 60
    Nancy,

I own a '98 Forester with 89k on it. I have never heard of the mechanical condition you mentioned being a problem on '98 Foresters, or any year for that matter. I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist but I'm not aware of it. Maybe Juice can shed a little light on the subject.

Jim
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    I have actually heard that some of the '98 model year Subaru Legacies were prone to engine problems but I'm not sure if 1) that can extend to the Forester and 2) exactly why your mechanic thinks a noisy oil pump requires an engine rebuild! See TSBs for your car:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/55/98559748.html

I wouldn't count on a class-action suite or any law suite for that matter! This doesn't even qualify under a lemon law. It's an 8 year old car. Be glad you didn't buy a Plymouth, you'd have had it for 8 months! I WOULD go get another mechanic however! And read up on what your extended warranty covers. Good luck!

Elissa
  • Options
    This smells fishy to me. Do you hear the noise, or are these guys making it up?

Some Subarus have a piston slap problem which sounds like what they are describing with the chat room documents (since it is due to the short skirts) but you would definitely know it if you had it -- the engine would sound like someone was banging on it with a wrench or hammer, especially when the engine was cold. If you don't hear this alarming noise when you start the car, then it's not piston slap.

Hopefully your dealer will be able to help you diagnose the issue, if it exists.

Craig
  • Options
    saxysaxy Member Posts: 9
    Well, I'm not trying to drive like the Acura either but to me the steering is a bit loose, just wondering if there is any option to tighten it up a bit. I'm used tot he steering becoming more precise the faster I go rather staying as loose as it is at 20 mph. I'll ge tused to it but would prefer a tighter feel. Will probably try to restore the Acura since that model has become so popular after the Too Fast Too Furious movies.
  • Options
    mazdax605mazdax605 Member Posts: 89
    Hey guys,

I want to get an auto starter for my wifes new 05 2.5 X forester,and have had a few shops tell me there is a chip in the key for security which I know ther eisn't due to the fact that the valet key,and the spare are just plain old steel keys,therefore the rubber coated fancy one is as well.Right?Also they tell me the only way to do it is to unplug the factory alarm(I didn't even know it had one)and have the auto starter fob take over the lock/unlock feature.This isn't really a big deal to me,but I just worry about the fact that the car is a lease,and I don't want them to hack it up if it is unnecessary.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Chris

04 RX-8 nordic green mica 6MT

05 2.5X automatic cayenne red pearl"hers"
  • Options
    ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    The knocking sound that your mechanic is hearing 'near' the oil pump could be a failing cam drive belt tensioner. Piston slap is a common issue on earlier 2.5 engines, but is usually only an aesthetic problem, i.e. it sounds bad, but normally isn't a problem with regards to longevity of your engine unless it continues after warm-up. If you have an extended warrantee, take your car to the dealer and have them check it out, they'll have a better idea of what the noise is than your 'local' garage.

Hope this helps,

Owen
  • Options
    The only 05 Forester that has a chipped key is the XT turbo model. The books that the shops are looking at could be wrong. Not all Forester's have alarms either. If yours does have one it was an added accessory. Keep looking for a shop that knows what their doing. You might ask your dealer who they'd use.

Chuck
  • Options
    sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    Greetings,

I just had my tires rotated at the local Costco, on my '02 Forester, and I noticed they replaced my valve stem covers with these neon green ones. I asked the guy what the story was and he said they filled the tires with nitrogen. I also have a reminder sticker on my windshield that informs me of the same thing.

After some on-line research I find out that nitrogen is supposed to increase tire life and improve mileage and keep corrosion and

rust from forming on the rims because of the lack of moisture in nitro. Anybody have any experience with these issues? And have you seen any improvement?

Thanks for the feedback in advance! And Merry Christmas to all the Subie drivers on the road this Holiday Season!!

Peace,

Sierratrip
  • Options
    carlessonecarlessone Member Posts: 9
    Sierratrip,

At Sams Club they filled my tires with helium and now the car is 50 lbs lighter. Took a half second off my 0 to 60 time.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I just rotate the air in my tires every equinox but I was a bit late purging the summer air this year.

There was a big thread about nitrogen last August - it starts here:

steve_, "Tires, tires, tires" #4058, 5 Aug 2004 10:36 am

Steve, Host
  • Options
    cootercooter Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2004 Forester purchased in February of this year. We took it in for the first scheduled maintenance at about 4000-4500 miles. It currently has about 8600 miles on it. We are probably going to put between 400 and 500 more miles or so on it this weekend.

Of course, we just realized that it was due into the dealer for a scheduled maintenance at 7500 miles.

How bad is this for the vehicle? Will this affect our warranty or any other contract between us and Subaru?

Thanks in advance. As you might imagine, the wife and I are kinda new to the car ownership thing.
  • Options
    I'd say as long as you aren't low on oil you won't hurt a thing by driving your car another 500 miles before service. I don't think it will hurt your warranty either. Just make sure to have the service done asap when you get home.

Chuck
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    It won't hurt the Forester and certainly won't affect the warranty.

If you had the first scheduled maintenance at 4000 miles, technically you could wait until 7500 miles for the next scheduled maintenance (11,500).

-Frank
  • Options
    I agree, you'll be fine -- just take the opportunity to check the oil and fluids, and make sure the tire pressure is OK.

Craig
  • Options
    jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    Hey all,

I finally put the CR-V / Forester debate to rest and put some 'hold' money on a Forester. I'm picking it up on Monday !!!

I'm getting a Silver XS/Auto with the moonroof. Dealer gave me 200 over invoice and then took the 1300 rebate off the bottom line after all was said and done. I think I did fairly well for myself. :)

Thanks for all of your help and posts; I do appreciate them. Special thanks to Juice, who seems to have a massive well of knowledge up there in his noggin'.

Merry Christmas all !!!

Jopopsy
  • Options
    kammenkammen Member Posts: 1
    How do you guys know the warranty isn't affected if you don't hit the scheduled times? I say "times" because my wife doesn't commute, so her Forester never has the number of miles that the maintenance schedule lists. There is a clause in the Subaru maintenance booklet that says X months or X miles, "whichever comes first". The booklet also states "These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to a failure to follow the the Schedule of Recommended Inspection and Maintenance Services set forth in this Booklet."
  • Options
    Hey, congrats!! Nice color choice too!

Craig
  • Options
    kirbkirb Member Posts: 10
    You should be very happy with the Forester. Our 1999 was bought new and now has over 100K on it. Haven't so much as replaced a light bulb in all that time. However, dealer replaced all 4 brake rotors under warranty during the first 2 years due to pulsation, and the car was recalled twice I think, once for brake master cyl. and the other for some sensor, though no problems were evident with our car. All maint. has been strictly followed and I'm using full synth. oil and tranny fluid.
  • Options
    kirbkirb Member Posts: 10
    I forgot....we did have to replace 2 cracked CV shaft boots,....no big deal. It's been a fabulous car. Only now, my wife won't even consider a vehicle without heated seats.
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    If the sound is in fact the cam belt tensioner, on a '98 it should have immediate attention. When I had the timing belt replaced on my '98 at 103,000 miles (105k recommended - I was having other work done) the tensioner had to be replaced because it was not taking up the slack properly. If the tensioner fails, the belt could break and cause serious and expensive valve damage since the '98's had the "interference" type double overhead cam engine.

As a former radio engineer, I can tell you that we used dry nitrogen under slight pressure (about 3-5 pounds above atmospheric) in our transmission lines to keep moisture out to prevent arcing and corrosion. It certainly seems that having dry contents can help preserve both the tires and wheels.
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Ben,

On the other hand, if we fill our tires with hydrogen, our vehicles would be even lighter and we could give new meaning to the words, "burning rubber."
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Well...it came down to a Tucson or a Forester and the other half said the Tuscson looked too masculine/aggressive. Oh well. Got a champagne gold X automatic with after market leather and a few other goodies. Any opinions out there on whether the extended warranties make sense? I'm hoping this should be a relatively trouble free car. Thanks.
  • Options
    dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    Hey all. Though I haven't sent posts to here for a while I tried to read most of the topics periodically. It's great to see here regular users of the forum who have been keeping their loyalty to Subaru for such a long time (haha, Frank, guess you missed my silly posts mate). Well my XT is on 30 k km (approx 20 k miles) service now and I really enjoy the car. It has had no any problem to-date.

To all on the forum have a great Xmas keep safe, eat heaps, drink more, enjoy your families. Cheers.
  • Options
    agateroadagateroad Member Posts: 4
    Does the AWD work equally well starting on a snow covered hill(pavement under the snow) with the manual or automatic 2005 Forester?
  • Options
    DonluceDonluce Member Posts: 41
    Does Subaru make a "Hood Protector" for the Turbo XT Forestor?

Thanks

Don Luce
  • Options
    Yup - its a different piece than the one for the regualr Forester, so the top lip doesn't perturb the airflow to the intercooler. The part number's been posted on the board before. If you can't find it I'll post the number off my receipt tomorrow after I get home.

As a follow-on comment, if you're looking for paint protection for the whole nose of the car, I've had a clear bra on mine for 20000mi now and it still looks great - the bra and the paint.

HTH

Larry
  • Options
    mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    The 2005 Forester got a new version of the 4EAT Automatic. I have No experience with this drive train. The Manual stays the same, so I can speak to older automatics and manuals.

The manual is running a 50/50 split at startup, so at least 1 front and 1 rear tire have power at any startup.

The 4EAT (up to 2004, NOT including the Turbo), starts in 90/10...mostly Front wheel drive. Upon a speed difference from front to rear, it engages the center differential and locks it. So some slippage occurs. Spec says at less than 1 revolution at both outputs of the center differential, the transmission control module sends a current to the viscous coupling and 'locks' the input with both outputs. I have heard owners of Automatic Subaru's talk about the mild clunk they hear when this occurs.
  • Options
    jlnorwoodjlnorwood Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the sunroof wind deflector is the same for the '05 Forester as for the years past? I've got a chance to get one for my '05 Forester, but it is the OEM for the '04.

Thanks
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    There weren't any body changes from 04 to 05 so it should fit fine.

-Frank
This discussion has been closed.