Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    skratskrat Member Posts: 2
    :) I am getting close to having my oil changed for the first time on my 05 llbean. I used synthetic oil in my previous car (Mits. Eclipse) and never had a problem. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not I should use synthetic in my bean?
  • Options
    mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I would wait for a couple of changes then switch this will give the seals time to set I switch over at 7000 miles on my 04.. Good luck.... M/F
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I would wait as well. Subaru's tend to show high wear metals for the first 10k miles and more. If you do switch now, keep to the severe service oil change schedule of 3,750 miles until you hit 10-15k miles.

-Dennis
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I am looking at a 2003 Forester XS w 23,000 miles on a dealer lot, it looks & drives great. The dealer bought the car from another dealer in a different town. It has had only one previous owner (accord to Carfax). Whenever buying used cars, it has always been my policy to be sure it has been serviced properly either by seeing service records or speaking with the former owner. In this case, there are no service records & no way I can contact the original owner.

Soooo, if I had an engine problem, at 55,000 miles, I could not prove that the car had appropriate oil changes. Could SOA deny warranty coverage under such circumstances :confuse:

Also in a previous post, I got the impression that Foresters fairly commonly get warped rotors (& pads?) -- true? And that SOA replaced those under the bumper to bumper warranty -- that seems pretty generous. Is it true?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EXPERTISE, :D
  • Options
    toasterpilottoasterpilot Member Posts: 48
    According to Consumer Reports, Subaru has been consistently named one of the most reliable car companies, that should eliminate some of your paranoia.

You can call Subaru of America and they can tell you what service has been performed at a Subaru dealer and go over any recalls. I bought my Forester with close to 100K. After hitting the 100,000 mark, I brought it into Gerald Subaru in North Aurora, IL and they installed the warranteed radiator treatment. Even though I wasn't a "paying customer," I was treated like one.

After putting about 12K on it so far this year, I've had no repairs. [I do however noticed that the whistling I referred to above is being heard more often and at lower speeds, but only when moving. I wonder if it is air blowing through something or if it is the early stages of a squealing water pump. I'll report back after checking it out.] :confuse:

I haven't had any rotor problems. My understanding is that this is an industry-wide problem that dates back to when they took asbestos out of the brake pads, replacing it with a harder substance that heats up the rotors.

What $?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If it's on a dealer's lot, I'd say no, the dealer is responsible for reconditioning it into decent shape. You can't be to blame for anything that happened prior to buying it. Talk to the service manager of that dealer to make sure he agrees with that policy.

Call 800-SUBARU3 with the VIN to see if recalls were performed and while you're at it ask them about the question above.

-juice
  • Options
    If the numbers I got from Edmunds on 05 prices for a modestly equipped 05 XS and the numbers for 06 as shown in Message #16453 May 24, 2005, the invoice cost for a the new & improved & significantly better equipped 06 X Premium is slightly less than then the 05 invoice.

That plus the discovery that I qualify for the VIP program is making the 06 look mighty tempting! While the used 03 I have been considering will sell for the mid to high 17, the extra 5K for the 06 (at invoice) is starting to look the way to go.

Buying cars is such a fun chase, but I tend to agonize excessively!
  • Options
    In todays paper (Chicago Tribune), I note a dealer ad for a new '05 Forester "fully equipped with the most popular features" (like brakes and windshield wipers, I presume) for $17970.

I think you're smart to pass on the '03 at around the same price. Give me the $5K, I'll buy the car for you here in Chicago and drive it to your house. :D
  • Options
    Just keep in mind the 05 has incentives. So if they remove those incentives the price essentially went up, even if the invoice price didn't.

So you should still be able to get an 05 for less. If not, they could never sell the ones left over.

-juice
  • Options
    Roger, understand that & am factoring it in to decision grid. However, the one 05 in a 150 mile radius that was equipped as I prefer sold last week :surprise: :P . Also, I don't really need a new car immediately & could easily wait until March or April 06, at which time I suspect there will be incentives (although probably not as hi as the current $1.5K). Still I anticipate an 06, being more contempary in appearance with "new & improved" drivetrain, brakes, comfort, handling, power and fuel economy will hold value above the 05 beyond the difference in incentives. At least that is what the risk I am considering taking at this stage.

Now if I could get that 03 for less $17K. I might rethink the whole thing. If they still have the 03 Tues, l may ask the sales guy (who has been really terrific -- low persistant pressure, know his product & the competition, straigh forward, seem honest...) and ask if they will take $17K + 60 day bumper to bumper warranty.
  • Options
    Yeah, by then they'll probably have a $500-750 incentive, and considering the price is lower to begin with, well, there you go.

-juice
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..to prove interesting....

..current forester x here.....(Sacramento Bee 5/28).....and I am quoting: $19499 minus fact. rebate $1500 = net cost to you $17999, one at this price.............

...the (for me) 05/06 variables would include possible fuel efficiency boost....the current 30 Highway EPA is class leading IMHO......but today's fuel costs are not likely to abate a whole lot.........

..keep the faith.......ez
  • Options
    rdbandkabrdbandkab Member Posts: 17
    Hi all... Looking to move from my 16mpg Xterra to a Forester... Has anyone tried putting a 2" receiver on the back? And what was the tongue weight limit? Reason I ask...is that I was wondering if I would be able to haul a 240 pound dirtbike on a hitch mounted system. Was thinking it might be too much for the Forester's suspension....and would end up towing a single rail trailer...

Thanks!

rich
  • Options
    Got to drive an 06 today at the Tribeca Experience in Vally Forge, an event for SoA staff and dealers that we got a special invitation to.

Changes? A little more pep, not a lot but both Bob and I noticed it. We drove an X Premium automatic, so it had the moonroof and a power seat, plus the newly painted bumpers. Alloys, too.

The steering seemed lighter but I have a '98 and Bob said his 2001 was already like that.

NVH control is better, it was quieter overall, less engine and road noise. Even with the moonroof fully open noise levels were comfortable.

The ride is the most noticeable improvement, there seems to be more travel and it was absorbing bumps and a pot hole we hit nicely. Good job tuning the shocks and springs. In fact I think they could have made it stiffer and I would not have complained.

I asked and they will try to find out if final EPA numbers are in, but the turbo engine is now very clean - it meets LEV2 standards for emissions. Let's see if the rumor of 20/26 mpg is true.

We did not drive a turbo, it was a tough choice but I pushed for the new 2.5l engine because this engine will end up in about half of all Subarus for 2006, and the turbo was already WAY too powerful anyway. :P

-juice
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    and a pot hole we hit

You hit a pothole in Pennsylvania?

I don't believe you. :surprise:

DaveM
  • Options
    Ateixeira, you da man :shades: ! Wish I coulda done the same & end this agony over whether to buy the 03 or wait for the 06. :sick:

What was the overall enthusiasm level for the 06 by those who participated?

Any significant changes in the seat size, shape, comfort...?
    What about the new arm rest. Is it more flexible and comfortable than the old,
    lame armrest extension?
    Any other significant interior improvements?
    I assume the interior dimensions are the same -- correct?
    Would love to hear the EPA numbers when you have them!
    When do the show up at dealers?

Today I tried to pull a "end of the month" deal out on the 03 FXS (23K, 5spd, tow package, auto dim mirror, rear bumper cover & chrome tail pipe extension -- several previous posts the past 2 weeks). Offered $17,000, but they did not bite -- came back with $17,990 & that was the end of the conversation for the day!

As best I can determine, the 06 @ VIP invoice price would cost $22,992 (w/o any incentives). What is your opinion -- would you advise get the 03 @ 18K or wait for the 06?

Apparently the local (NW Washington) dealers get their 1st look & test drives tommorrow, but they don't seem to know much at this point & one said would not be on lots until late summer or early fall.

PS, your profile says you are in Brazil, Valley Forg is a long way from home?
  • Options
    Am I going crazy (a short drive, I assure you)? The whistling was exceptionally persistant so I rolled down the window to see what it sounded like from the outside. It stopped!

The seals around the window seem to be in excellent shape. It is as if opening a window relieves pressure elsewhere--somewhere around the dash and vents.

Anyone know where I can rent a wind tunnel and some blue smoke?

PS to Sacramento, You can buy your car at Chicago prices; it's the garage that kills you. ;)
  • Options
    I have a one inch but I'm not sure a two inch would even fit. Wait for Bob to post. :)
    Last summer I had a Thule cargo box loaded down with a weeks' worth of toys and luggage and was carrying 3 bicycles on a hitch mounted rack. I had some sag, but no rubbing. Never felt the car couldn't handle it.

Don't know what model you're interested in, but the LL Bean's self-levelling suspension would be useful for that. You can swap the suspension but I think it's expensive to do.

juice - What, no turbo test drive? Maybe because we're getting a Forester STi and they didn't want you to spill the beans. :) A lot of people complain that the steering is too light for the XT. My 17's fixed that for me.

-Dennis
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Juice wanted to drive the non-turbo.

Bob
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    $17k + ? Not sure of the value there.

My '03 XS 5 speed with 37k was guaranteed trade in value at $14.2 k. The local dealer recently indicated $14 k trade in value.

Sure, they need to make a couple thou.

But you should be able to find one for $16 k. Mine even has an extended warranty for 80k miles.

John
  • Options
    kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    OK,

I am about ready to buy a "hail damaged" (not much) pop up camper with a dry weight of 1335 lbs (4700K verses 6900K/Hey live in Kansas you can get lots of deals like this, but then again, ducks in shooting galleries have an easy life until hit). I have an 04 Forester X with a five speed. Yes, I know 2,400 towing capacity... (Oh, Used versions of this as a "used" camper are online at around 5,700K). It is a good deal but not if the vehicle towing it us not up to it.

I have also told my girlfriend she cannot collect the rocks she wants to collect and I WANT to go over the "best" parts of the Rockies. That means some steep grades... Once a year...

As a "normal" driver, I got 150K out of my last Subaru clutch and only one set of front brakes. I know how to milk em...

Oh, the trailer has a 178 lb "(dry) front hitch weight" and am trying to determine if that is "tongue weight." I don't think so, having loaded trailers in the past... A little here a little there...

OK, Am I going to rip the guts out of my Forester? The Brits say NO, (they have lots of websites gauging the towing capability of vehicles/More than the US) but then again, they don't have the rockies..

Please, help me either spend or save my money.. soon. These hail damaged ones are not going to be around long...
  • Options
    canadianforestcanadianforest Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

Just bought a 2005 Forester XS Premium, our 2nd Forester (had a 98 for about 2 years, loved it). Replacing an Audi A6 Wagon, if you can believe it.

Anyway, here's my issue: I pick it up in a few days and of course the dealer (here in Canada) wants me to get this "Perma Plate" package (paintguard, fiberguard, soundguard and rustguard), as well as the extended warranty (though you can get this up to the 3 yr point). The charge is $799 (Canadian, about $600 or so US) for the former, and $1258 ($1000 US) for a Powertrain extension (to 7yrs, 140K kms) or $1847 ($1600 US) for the bumper to bumper version.

Since I haven't bought a new car in 15 years, I've forgotten how to avoid the new car scams -- any advice on either of these options? My tendency is to avoid the warranty but go for the PermaPlate one -- however, a prelim google search shows a real mized bag of opinion, i.e. it's a scam, a rip-off, something worthwhile, etc.

Any thoughts?

Mike in Canada
  • Options
    subarustevesubarusteve Member Posts: 1
    I own an 04 Forester XS, which has the extended arm rest. The hinge screws on the extended box have come loose, and I lost one. My local dealer has informed me that he cannot get me another screw b/c it only comes with the entire storage assembly. The screw is plastic.

I could comb the auto graveyards for an 03+, but it's not a likely find. The earlier design used a metal screw, which may not be the same.

I could also take the remaining screw to a hardware store, which I can do, but that seems dicey as well.

Any bright ideas?
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I think you've got it backwards.... there are varying opinions on whether extended warranties are a good investment or not but dealer provided protection packages like "Perma Plate" are almost guaranteed to be 95% dealer profit. That paint guard is nothing more than a coat of wax. The fiber guard is no doubt a can of Scotchgard. Sound/rust guard is probably something they spray on to the underbody and if improperly applied, can easily cause premature rusting. In short, save your money and do it yourself if you're interested in any of these.

-Frank
  • Options
    canadianforestcanadianforest Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, Frank, for the above on permaplate & warranty. Yeah, I think I'll take the new car and run with it at this point AS IS.

Two questions for all:

1) I got very used to my Audi's nicely tinted windows and from earlier comments here, there are more than a few people who think Subaru should get with the program and have them as standard, as many manufs do. Anyone tried any after-market tinted applications? I've seen a few on other cars around town and they generally look horrific.

2) I haven't yet checked for other after-market accessories. Did get my dealer to put on the armrest extension. Is there a good place (website) that shows all the items for the Forester (by Subaru and otherwise)? Since I live in Canada, price & availability may be an issue but I'm open to any and all suggestions. Any favorite after-market items people swear by?

Great forum, by the way ...

Mike in Canada
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Thursday, so it's that time again. If we see as many new faces tonight as we saw at the Mazda chat on Tuesday, we'll have a chance to break our attendance record for the Crew chat! We may need to order more snacks! :)

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    I'm fortunate to live near a very good tinter in NJ that works for www.azpinstalls.com. You can't really see the quality from this pic,
    http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid143/p05902ea1ef062ef99ea2cd97135203b7/f6970f8c.jp- - g , but it's very good.

The shop foreman at my dealer even commented on how good it looked.

My favorite aftermarket items that I have are by Subaru, but not designed for the XT. An STi sedan rear-swaybar that improves handling (bought from allsubaru.com), and 17" Euro Forester wheels bought from www.cc-b.com (long wait for those).

Oh, my other favorite are the Philips VisionPlus 50 headlight bulbs from the UK . http://www.autolamps-online.com/halogen/index.htm . Better range and brighter, but not blue.

-Dennis
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Mike- Not sure about Canada but in the US, manufacturuers can only offer tinted windows in vehicles classified as light trucks. Unfortunately, since the Forester is classified by the EPA as a car, Subaru isn't allowed to offer tinted windows. Of course having tinted windows is an ever bigger concern the further south you go so many of your southern neighbors have gone the aftermarket route. A professionally applied metalic based tint film definitely improves the overall vehicle appearance and more importantly from my perspective, it keeps the interior significantly cooler in the summer. I suspect those "horrific" tint jobs you've seen have been do-it-yourself ones using the cheap stuff you can buy at the local auto parts store. You've probably seen plenty of other cars with tinted windows but didn't realize since a good tint job looks just like it came from the factory that way :)

-Frank
  • Options
    06 was fun, though people were anxious to drive the nicer (and pricier) Tribeca, to be honest.

Seats seemed wider, less intrusive lateral bolsters. That's one thing I did not like, but it might accomodate bigger folks better. Fabrics seemed softer, same materials used in the cloth Tribecas now that I think about it.

Arm rest is nicer, and extends forward. Fit both Bob and me better.

Overall comfort levels are higher - softer seats, quieter and smoother ride.

About a month they'll be in dealers.

Turbo would have been more fun but honestly I felt the new 173hp engine was more important than a turbo that was already too powerful anyway. :P

-juice
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • Options
    Yeah, we walked up to the N/A model, and I swear I could hear the Sith Lord calling me towards the turbo...

-juice
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Did Subaru let you in on any specs for the new model other than HP? Any other new features? Particularly, are the wider heated mirrors available on the base model?
  • Options
    Let me think, they had one X model with steel wheels, I think it had the same mirrors with the turn signals, so if I had to guess I'd say that was standard. Do you recall, Bob?

I asked them to check on EPA mileage, I want to see if the 20/26 rumor for the turbo auto is true (if so, WOW).

The new turbo engine is LEV2, so emissions are way down.

-juice
  • Options
    I suppose no HID's like the Canadians are getting in the XT??

-Dennis
  • Options
    damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    Go to Subaru's media center webpage, fourth item down under "Latest News". All kinds of specs on the 06 Forester.

-Dan-
  • Options
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ......has it correct....... . (www.media.subaru.com....)

..looks like the '06 has some good improvements.(..didn't see any EPA data tho)..

..best, ez.. :)
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 359
    I'd go the hardware store route, but make it an Ace Hardware, True Value or other small local store. My Ace has hundreds of unique fasteners in bins and I can paw through them as much as I like. Home Depot and Lowes have nothing like what I can find at Ace. I'll bet you can find something.
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    '06 X loses 1 mpg down to 29 on highway. XT auto makes huge improvement.

John

PS thanks for the link
  • Options
    I like the small hardware store idea too; bring the other screw in with you if you have it. When I reach the depths of my local Ace, I go to a specialty screw place that sells fasteners to industry. If you don't live near a large city, you might not have one of these and can look on the web under "specialty fasteners."

Buy a couple extra just in case.
  • Options
    Dang, I missed the chat (had even more important engagement - dinner with my son).

I see that the EPA actually went down on 06 (www.media.subaru.com) :(

The peak HP & torque on 06 both occur at higher rpms that 03-05.

05 HP 166 @ 5600 RPM; 06 HP 173 @ 6000 RPM (4% total increase).
    05 Torque 166 lbs @ 4000 RPM; 06 torque 166 lbs @4,400 rpm (no increase in torque, but it comes on a little later).

So it appears that to feel the increased power need to be about 4,000 RPMs Would you say that is your impression in driving the 06?

So seems for average driver or if pulling a trailer, the 06 MY has no advantage over 03-05 MY.

If you were blindfolded and driven in an 06 or 03-05, do you believe you could tell the difference? If so, in what ways?

If my above assumptions are accurate, the $5,000 saving of the 03 is starting to look better to me. :confuse:
  • Options
    1 more question (pretty soon I am going to hit my quota :blush:

I love armrests. Do you think the improved 06 one could be easily mounted on an 03-05 model?

Thanks for all your responses.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Good question, and I don't know. Perhaps if the lower part of the center are identical (where it attaches to), but I don't know that.

Bob
  • Options
    tomb2tomb2 Member Posts: 3
    My new 2005 Forester (6,200 miles) has suddenly developed a mysterious creak in the right rear part of the car. The creaking started when the weather turned warmer here in Connecticut a few weeks ago and has gotten more noticeable, especially in the morning when driving to work. Sitting overnight parked makes it worse? The noise is mostly noticeable when driving on a slightly rough surface at low speeds, even in a parking lot, and is inaudible when driving on the highway, even if the surface is rough. It seems more likely when driving straight, and is not always evident when turning. The noise itself sounds like two components are rubbing together.

I have tried everything as far as the usual greasing of possible rubbing points, putting cloths between such potential rubbing points, etc. Yesterday I had it at the dealer and they spent about 6.5 hours trying to get rid of it, but with little success. They took the rear compartment apart, and drove it around without the various components, including even removing various components such as the rear light assembly, liftback strut, etc. They even put it up on a rig and flexed the frame, as well as checked the wheel strut assembly. The service manager himself was involved, and they thought they had got the problem licked, but when I took for a test drive it was still there. The manager is contacting Subaru to see if they have any such creaks that other Foresters may have manifested. This dealership is the largest Subaru dealership in New England and they have not had any such problems turn up.

I thought that someone out there may have encountered something similar. I did a thorough general Web search and was unable to come up with much of anything similar being reported, even for Subarus in general. Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    Thanks for posting the link, ez. I just assumed everyone here knew where it was :blush:

-Dan-
  • Options
    I had a mysterious creak in my '04 coming from the right rear of the car. I tried for weeks to pinpoint it and finally discovered that it was the plastic covered metal latch where the rear seats latch on when their in the upright position. Does that make any sense?? I lubed it up with silicon spray and it's been fine ever since.

Another common squeak part could be the cargo cover or latch for the rear hatch. Also the swaybar bushings can dry out and squeak. Your car is pretty new so I doubt it would be the bushings, unless they didn't get lubed from the factory.

Good luck!

-Dennis
  • Options
    Bob called it more "eager". I felt it was a little peppier. A little, not a lot.

Not sure why EPA highway dropped 1, my guess is it was more of a correction.

-juice
  • Options
    If you install the armrest yourself, keep an eye on the hinge screws. ;)
  • Options
    I've had that same creak on my '01. Same side too. My mechanic mentioned that he had once tracked down a similar noise to the car body rubbing against a plastic fuel tank. It wasn't a Subaru, but notice that we are all experiencing this on the same side as the gas tank.

I am going to lube that seat latch. however.
  • Options
    Does your creak go away when you have been driving awhile? I had a theory that the sway bar was creaking until the friction heated them up and got the grease working.
This discussion has been closed.