Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    tomk17tomk17 Member Posts: 135
    I had to pay sticker for my 04 EX Auto in Massachusetts. I did hold out for a good trade-in on an Odyssey however. I suggest trying the same tactic.
  • Options
    autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    Seems only one here will discount it $500 but not sure if they make it up on a trade in or not.. How do you like yours?. I drove a friends and it had a number of rattles..just thought that was a fluke until I drove a demo which had a rattle?..

Thanks for sharing the pricing info.
  • Options
    apiano29apiano29 Member Posts: 16
    2004 EX Auto has too many rattling noises and other noises. Test Drive on a bumpy road before you decide to buy. Don't get fooled by the appearance. You got to live with what you buy for a long time.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Our 2003 has no rattles and I can't remember hearing any others rattle unless something like the tire tools are loose.

As far as pricing...unlike a lot of other cars, especially domestics, there isn't much markup in a CRV. As such, don't expect a lot of discounting on these since they are in very high demand and short supply.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Well, I heard a lot of rattles on the washboard road to Chaco Canyon last November, but once back on the main roads, everything went back to normal. I suspect the rattles were all the stuff I have squirreled away in the various cubby holes.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,529
    I took my '98 CRV in once... told them I had a buzzing/rattle in the dash. They tried to tell me it was probably stuff I had in the car. You know, the usual stuff where they try to blow you off... I insisted they have a look at it. When I went to pick it up, the mechanic had taken everything I had in the glovebox and under-seat tray and every other little cubby, and had it separated in little plastic bags with twist ties and had it all in a big paper grocery bag. They called the mechanic up to the service desk, he took the grocery bag out of the car, hopped in the passenger seat and said "lets go". We went for a 15 minute drive on surface streets and interstate, and no buzzing.

I was in for the 15K service, and they didn't charge me anything extra, and didn't even say "I told you so". I've never taken my Hondas anywhere else for service since, and I didn't even buy the two Hondas I have now there. That is a great service department.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tomk17tomk17 Member Posts: 135
    Autosaurus,

Mine (my wife's actually) seems tight to me and I'm real picky. She did mention a rattle, right away I checked the drawer under the passenger seat. Sure enough she had a pencil rolling around int there. Its a good place for the manual and stuff however! Everything seems solid to me after 1 month and 1200 miles.
  • Options
    mvnlllmvnlll Member Posts: 3
    What is the Gas Mileage on your 2004 CR-V EX AWD?
  • Options
    aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    My wife is getting about 22/23 in almost 100% city driving. Lots of stop and go, lots of starting and stopping of the engine, lots of short trips.

Needless to say, we do not follow Honda's recommendation and do oil changes every 5000 miles. We do them every 3000 give or take 500.
  • Options
    I have a 2003 EX Auto. I get about 22 in town and 27 on the road. It did take about 2000 miles before I saw these numbers; initially my MPG was lower. Since there were no mechanical changes for 2004, I suspect the mileage will be similar.

I follow the Honda recommendations for severe conditions: 5000 mile intervals. I also follow the owner site recommendations, i.e., I didn't change my factory oil until about 7000 miles. This initial oil is specailly designed to break in the engine.

In my opinion, Honda wouldn't have recommended the change from 3500 to 5000 mile intervals unless the engine was designed for this.
  • Options
    mvnlllmvnlll Member Posts: 3
    I just got my two weeks ago, but only got 18.6 MPG in the city(I didn't go on to the Freeway jet), why? is there something I should do?, thanks.
  • Options
    jennyraj2jennyraj2 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,
      Has anyone added the Keyless entry system (from Hondaaccessories.com and others) to 2004 LX?
     The instructions do not match the actual 2004.
    For example, should we remove the box? Where are the self-tapping screws on the box? In 2004 LX, I have a small door at the bottom - looks like it can be pryed open. But even then, the box itself is solidly attached to the car...How do I pull it out?

Any help would be appreciated...
  • Options
    Hi all,
      Has anyone added the Keyless entry system (from Hondaaccessories.com and others) to 2004 LX?
    For example, should we remove the box? Where are the self-tapping screws on the box? In 2004 LX, I have a small door at the bottom - looks like it can be pryed open. But even then, the box itself is solidly attached to the car...How do I pull it out?

• Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    The manual for my 1979 Honda station wagon said to change oil every 5,000 miles. I was doing mostly highway driving at the time, so I thought it would be okay. Then when I had problems at about 30,000 miles and had to have the camshaft replaced and rings done, the service department at the Honda dealer blamed it on not having changed the oil every 3,000 miles. I haven't bought a Honda product since, but I'm considering the CR-V. I'd prefer the 2WD's better fuel economy except I don't want to do without ABS. Any other reports of actual gas mileage on the 4WD's would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Woah! Can't compare a 1979 with a 2004! Until 2002, Honda did recommend 3750 mile oil changes. The schedule is actually 10000 miles for normal wear (never heard of anyone using this schedule!), or 5000 for severe conditions.

My CR-V is a 2003 EX, Auto. My initial MPG was a bit low, between 19 & 21 MPG, about 24 MPG highway. After about 2000 miles it went to 21 MPG city / 27 MPG highway (75 - 80 mph).
  • Options
    motordavidmotordavid Member Posts: 39
    Fwiw, we bought an '03 EX AWD,auto,fairly loaded in May, and beat on'em for $500 off. Anecdotal and may not be similar to your situ. If I were you, I'd hop on net and ask Every dlr within an hr of two, for their best price w/exactly what you want.You're in NJ and there are a lot of Honda dlrs there,from memory. As for rattles, as posted here, I am disappointed w/the rattles we have in rear area.(All tools tight, nothing in car.) Am not a huge fan of this car, in general...it does nothing very well and is ok at some things. Having 2 current Honda M'cycles and having had a few more, I am somewhat disappointed in overall "qual" and level of refinement in this, our first Honda car. GL&BR,md
  • Options
    motordavidmotordavid Member Posts: 39
    Hi! I jes'saw your new post on mpg...I must say I am amazed at your cruise mpg of "27 MPG highway (75 - 80 mph)". Hard to believe,lol! I have never seen 27,even when new and driving it like an ol'granny! The best I've seen is barely 24 under v.flat conditions,no a/c and driving like we didn't want to get anywhere. Maybe you have a trick? Lol!
    BR,md
  • Options
    OK, to be honest, the last tank was 26.89. I have actually gotten just over 28.4 on one tankful during a trip in October.

I got the CR-V in August, and most of the road miles have been without A/C, though the couple of tanks with some A/C haven't been significantly different. However I haven't had a trip with full time A/C yet.

These are pure highway miles, stops only for gas or rest. In town miles eat up the MPG quickly.

I have found that my CR-V gets better mileage when I am not so tentative with the acceleration. I accelerate "smartly" up to speed. I do attempt to be careful to drive so that I don't use the brakes excessively (which means I also accelerate more carefully).

Another thing I noticed is they my CR-V gets better mileage at higher altitudes. The 28 MPG was in New Mexico, all driving above 4000 feet. However my last trip was to San Diego, never more than a couple of hundred feet above sea level, and I got almost 27 MPG.
  • Options
    autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    Motor Dave , thanks for the insight.. I've driven a few CRV's.. One belonged to a friend..was a '03 EX. Rattled like crazy.. drove one from a dealer also..hardly any miles. had a noise sounding like it was coming from the axle, and a rattle besides. Dealer said the car wasn't preped yet. wondered why they would have let me drive it like that.!

Am seeing a dealer tomorrow in northern NJ that promises they can work off the price, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off looking at something else. I've had a few honda's and an Acura. All great cars and never any rattles .. Surprised by this car so far..

Thanks
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I'm not comparing a 1979 Honda with a 2003 Honda. I commented on your statement that Honda would not recommend 5,000 intervals unless the engine were designed for it. I frequently had dealers perform the oil changes on my Hondas -- in Texarkana, Texas; Rock Island, Illinois; and then Bloomington, Indiana. None of these service departments recommended anything other than a 5,000 mile interval until the camshaft and ring problems. The experience soured me on Honda, though I know many have had good luck with Hondas.
  • Options
    Well, I think that the fact that they used to be 3750 and in 2002 switched to 5000 indicates that the engines are now using stronger parts that don't need the shorter interval.

I'm sure that the Honda people don't want the difficulties that would come from people having problems due to improper maintenance intervals. They know that their reputation stands (or falls) on their reliability.
  • Options
    inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Varmit,
           Thank you for the FAQ thread, my daughter has a 2000 SE and I have a 2002 EX and it was very interesting to learn the history of the CRV. I am looking foward to more interesting info and perhaps I too can contribute some information in the future.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Inkie - It's a work in progress. If you have anything that you'd like to add, just post it here. I'll copy it, edit it, or incorporate parts of the idea into another article.
  • Options
    kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    2004 CR-V LX with side airbags - $18,500 - $249 dealer prep fee - $10,000 trade in Civic LX Coupe with 28,500 miles - only other charges are $57.00 tag & 3% tax on the tade in difference.
  • Options
    johnnyrfjohnnyrf Member Posts: 65
    Anybody know if I can add an XM Radio to my 2003 CRV-EX with the 6 CD changer? I want to supplement the current unit, not replace it.
    Thanks for any advice.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    2004 CR-V LX with side airbags - $18,500 - $249 dealer prep fee - $10,000 trade in Civic LX Coupe with 28,500 miles - only other charges are $57.00 tag & 3% tax on the tade in difference.

Looks like a really good price on the CR-V, although the $249 "dealer prep" is pure profit to the dealer.

I can't tell whether the trade in value is good, since you didn't tell us the model year.

I assume both have automatic transmissions?
  • Options
    tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    For most applications power is ok but on a two lane road at 60mph passing is a scary thing to attempt. Honda has never been one to use turbos
    because it is hard on the engine. I read somewhere that they are going to squeeze more power out of the 2.4 liter four.Of course more power means more gas.With its light weight and high CG driving faster than 80mph is not safe
    but it shortens trips.
  • Options
    Hi all,
      Has anyone installed the Keyless entry system (from Hondaaccessories.com and others) to 2004 LX?

• Options
    kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    The trade in is a 2001 Civic LX coupe with auto. The CR-V is also an auto. Thanks. This is the best price I have gotten so far on the CR-V.
  • Options
    honda4lifehonda4life Member Posts: 2
    It has four gears. D4 D3 2 and 1

D4 is for normal driving.

Would I save more gas if I drive in D3?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,529
    No, you will use more gas. D4 is the highest gear, where the engine is turning at the lowest RPM for a given speed. If you drive around in D3, you will use more gas, and cause your engine more wear and tear. For 99% of driving, stick it in D4 and forget it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Honda4life - Kyfdx is correct. Essentially, an engine makes more power the higher you rev it. But it also uses more fuel. The only time you should need to drop the automatic transmission into D3 is if you need more power for towing up long hills or off-roading.
  • Options
    Anyone seen the new engine Honda just released?

They added direct injection to the 2.0 i-VTEC engine used in the Stream. In several markets, the CR-V also uses the same 2.0L engine that is found in the Stream. Direct injection has not been added to the CR-V, but it's not a big stretch to think it might be done soon.

The primary advantage of direct injection is better fuel economy. However, the price normally paid is higher emissions. Honda has managed to overcome the emissions issue. The new engine is just as clean as the original i-VTEC, just as powerful, but it increases fuel economy by about 11%.

If we assume the same advantage in the US/Canadian CR-V's 2.4L engine (which is based on the 2.0L), then fuel economy would bump up .5 to 1 mpg over the current engine.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    This technology is long overdue, I hope they bring it over. Mitsubishi's use of DI is widespread, and Isuzu has brought it to the US in the 3.5l for the Rodeo.

Not only is the new V6 more fuel efficient, it's also more powerful - by 20hp!

-juice
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Took my 02 to quick lube to get new inspection sticker. The guy can't reach the socket to plug in the computer. He said its hidden under the passenger side dash and he can't access it without taking out the dash.......
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    some of us have seen 30mpg, even :)

EX auto, btw. it's all in tire pressures (as close to 35 as you can tolerate), cruising speed (55-60 is ideal) and pedal pressure (not much on the right pedal).

enjoy.
  • Options
    kentkmokkentkmok Member Posts: 27
    Robmarch: You must have been going downhill for hours to get 30mpg. =)

I have a 2003 CRV currently at about 4k miles only. The BEST I got on a freeway only trip was 27mpg while daily mixed city/freeway driving ~23mpg. I set the tire pressure to 28psi only though.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Why would a quick lube type place need to access the socket to plug in any kind of computer? I personally would never let any quick lube place touch the electronics. And why would they need to do that for an inspection?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Massachusetts vehicle inspections require plugging the emissions inspection computer into the OBD port in the car in order to read the emissions. This replaces the tailpipe test on newer cars (1996 + have standard OBD ports). It's more accurate than than the tailpipe sensor.

scname - I would take it to the dealer for the inspection if it is that difficult to reach. I presume the cost for the inspection shouldn't change.
  • Options
    Juice - I doubt that DI alone could be responsible for the 20 hp boost. I'd bet there are other additions to the engine.

My understanding is that the DI injector competes with the spark plug for optimum position in the combustion chamber. You can't have both positioned in the best place. That makes it difficult to ensure a complete and even explosion. Incomplete combustion means more un-cooked fuel and higher emissions. It may also mean less power, not more.

I know that others have been using DI for a while. I assume Honda is not unique in having figured out how to counteract the drawbacks. This is just the first time I've read something that spells it all out.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Dunno, I've seen only very limited coverage about the new DI engine. Here is what Edmunds says:

The Axiom is powered by a more powerful version of Isuzu's 3.5-liter V6 engine this year. Thanks to gasoline direct injection, horsepower is up by 20 to a total of 250. Torque, too, rises, with a max output of 246 pound-feet

Is that even a multi-valve engine? Maybe they had more room to work in the injectors, and also more room for improvement. Honda's 3.5l makes anywhere from 240-260hp, but the more powerful ones use premium IIRC.

Isuzu's uses regular, so...not bad.

-juice
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Whatever happened with the lady and the CRV and fire and the insurance and the cause etc etc.
  • Options
    tpannitpanni Member Posts: 9
    I have found over the years that my winter mileage in Seattle drops 1.5-2 mpg from my summer mileage - colder starts, heavier air, wet roads, etc probably the main causes. I get 23-24 in my daily driving (in winter) which is mostly city, have'nt driven exclusive freeway miles since the summer. I agree with another's observation that accelerating too tentatively might give lower mileage. Specifically with my auto tranny, it shifts to overdrive (at a very low ratio) as low as 25 mpg and almost seems to lug if I need to accelerate moderately. This can be annoying when needing to accelerate or merge. So, I take it out of overdrive (which it defaults to when started), accelerate moderately and go back into overdrive at cruising speed. The car seems happier too.
    I found the interior window fogging quite annoying, as it requires selecting the windhield venting position which automatically goes into the lower AC setting (in my 02 CRV). The AC stays on even when I change the venting choice out of the two windshield venting positions and so requires me to turn off the AC manually. The solution - I applied a coating of Rain X made for the interior glass surfaces (not the same as the one made for the exterior glass surfaces). This has almost eliminated the fogging problem here in rainy Seattle, when I am constantly getting into my CRV with damp clothes and shoes. I do run the AC at least weekly as suggested in the manual to keep the AC in good working order.
  • Options
    andrewjiandrewji Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I noticed that there is a new opening (on the 2002 and newer models) around the CV joint area of each front wheel. From the outside of one front wheel, you can actually see the inside of the other front wheel through this opening. Not quite sure why Honda does not cover these openings like they did on the 2001 and previous models. In winter conditions as harsh as in Calgary, Canada, lots of small rocks and sands would be spun and hit the wires/tubings located in these opening areas. Also, the tire or road noise are actually louder on these new models probably because of these new openings. Hope what I describe is clear. Any thoughts on this?
  • Options
    One owner has fabricated a cover for those openings.

http://www.cwbr22088.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CRV-WEB/

The opening is there as a result of the higher steering rack used on the new models. This comes as part of the strut front suspension, which differs greatly from the double wishbone design used on the first generation CR-V.

Though many have speculated that the holes allow more dirt into the engine compartment, no problems have been linked to the design. The 2002 CR-V is actually less noisey than the old model.

Personally, I think the speculation about problems is a bit silly. I mean, this is an opening of about 2 square inches. Put the car on a lift and you'll find an opening of about 10 square feet! There are many other trucks and cars with similar holes in their wheel wells. Many of them are off-roaders.
  • Options
    dave_cldave_cl Member Posts: 54
    Wow!
    Varmint, those must be Texas inches.
    Here, in Canada, each opening in the wheel wells are at least 1 square foot (144 Canadian square inches).
  • Options
    No, I'm not trying to start a flame war. But maybe Varmint should get out his tape measure again?
  • Options
    On Monday, I have booked a 48000 km service. Type "D" they say. $319 Canadian. This includes a check (replacement?) of the A/C filter (behind the glove box) about which I posted some days ago. I never did manage to undo the clips, so I'm pleasec to see that it is addressed in this service. $319 though???
  • Options
    sabrina9sabrina9 Member Posts: 148
    Thanks for remembering me. Nothing much is happening. As of last week, Honda responded to my legal letter saying still not their problem. Filed lawsuit, just waiting.

Found some VERY interesting things but can't say online. Let's put it this way. The 2003 CRV has had a few engine fires - all identical to mine and all with less mileage than mine. It's no pinto, but I still think Honda is hiding.
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    I think I've posted this before, but you'd be surprised how many brand new cars catch fire. It's hardly a problem restricted to Honda, or to the CRV, I think.

Good Luck getting everything taken care of.