Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Been posting here for 2+ years and never showed you all my Jeep, so here you go. These pictures are pretty big so I am not going to put them here in deference to the folks with slow connections, only the links:

http://home.nethere.net/scrosson/JeepPix/jeep2.jpg

http://home.nethere.net/scrosson/JeepPix/jeep3.jpg

• Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Looks a lot cleaner than mine usually does! I like the looks of the BFG tires - maybe I'll go that route next time, but I'm really happy with the performance of the Duellers (don't think any of the pics I put up have the duellers in them).

I also love the color - at least it isn't black! Though where you are it wouldn't be as big of a deal as it is down here...
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Just checked itsajeep, and the chat room is back up again! Yeeeeeeehaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

Let's get together!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep and your Jeep site proprietor today?
  • Options
    bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    "I also love the color - at least it isnt black!"

mtgal..im hurt.. I will not tell TAZZ you said that.. :)

Ducky.. Jeep looks great.. I'm about ready to go topless too. Just waiting for my hoist to come in..

Keep Jeepin
    Bama
  • Options
    dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Well by Tuesday around 3pm...the bird goes bye bye I am happy to say. However, I tried to get around 7000 but they offered 400 less than what the private sale value which was around 6500...I'm getting $6100. I owe 3100, which leaves about 3000 for a downpayment. I had hoped that I could drive my dad's truck for the summer but it looks like I may not have that luxury for very long...I'm gonna try to stretch it at least til' they come back from vacation in July (they leave the 22nd of June). Maybe by then I will also have sold my computer (Mac) and that will give me close to or around 4000. We'll see...cross your fingers and keep a good thought for me as my parents aren't real thrilled about my choice.

I'm wanting to get a soft top to save money, but living at home with parents that don't share my love for Jeeps it's an uphill battle. As tomster says, I should go on and do it but my Dad prefers that if I'm gonna get one I should get the hard top.

Oh well, it's late and I gotta get up for work and then meet the buyer to do the paperwork for selling the car.

I'll let you know what happens...til' then...

Hug your Jeeps for me :)

dwrangler
  • Options
    appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Hey Guys,
    Now that I'm back in the US, thought it would be fun to get your feedback on a Wrangler Phenomonom I had forgotten about.

That, of course, is the rule that you must somehow acknowledge any other Wrangler you meet on the road. (In fact I think it is in every Wrangler sales contract...)

Since I usually drive with one hand resting on top of the steering wheel, I usually just lift my fingers up and give a slight nod of the head.

So, Wrangler Guys and gals, what is your style of Wrangler Wave? And are there any rules?

Look forward to hearing from each of you!

AppState88
  • Options
    Tazz and my Noble BLACK steed can sulk together! I love the looks of the black, but this will be the last black car I own as long as I live in SoCal.

dwrangler - Congrats on getting the first step done! About the tops - if you can afford it and if the hard top vs soft top is such an issue with your folks, get the hard top and add a soft top later. I don't know if it is different now, but in '98 if you got the soft top Wrangler it would not have the hookups for the window wiper and washer if you got an after market one. It seemed much easier to me to add the soft top later. So if you can do it, get the hard top, especially if it will ease your parents minds.

By the way, I don't think it makes any difference from a safety standpoint. The hard top's protection is illusionary - what is important is the roll bar! The hard top is just a fiberglass shell and is quieter and provides better weather protection, but that's about all (this is from someone who has a hard top and hasn't taken it off).

The wave - I do the finger flip of the top hand when I'm driving that way (one hand on the top of the wheel). Don't know of any rules. I see much less of that on the LA freeways than in the rest of CA.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for sending some of that cold wet stuff our way - we actually got some snow this morning. But not enough to give me the excuse to drive the Wrangler (sigh)...
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I have a black jeep, and like it. I took the goofy purple "Sport" stickers off the sides in the first 2 days I owned it!

Soft top is OK, but I picked up a used factory hard top for $650. It took a 4 hour drive with a jeep buddy, but it was worth it. Besides, we haven't talked in a while, and it was good to catch up.

Might get some friends together on Saturday to help take the hard top off and put on soft top (I can't help, as I had shoulder surgery a month ago).
    Got snow in Massachusetts last Saturday.
  • Options
    My Jeep looks so clean in the pix because it just got its twice-a-year wax the previous weekend. It's not normally so clean.

Dwrangler, I'd get the soft top with the full doors. The new soft tops are supposed to be just as quiet as the hard top and as mtngal says, the hard top is not any more protection in an accident. Tell your pop to look up the Wrangler at http://www.hwysafety.org/ , it actually does well in crash tests.

• Options
    dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    How are you liking your lift by now? Any driveline vibration issues? Are your wheels 7 or 8 inches wide?

dewars
  • Options
    robs213robs213 Member Posts: 4
    Last night I took delivery of my 2002 Patriot Blue Wrangler X. Ordered it on April 24th, so a little less than a month of waiting. Much thanks to those of you who post here often as I read the last 2000 or so posts before I ordered and many of my questions were answered before i could even ask them.
    Looking forward to better weather so the top and doors can come off this weekend.

Newly obsessed with my Jeep(no name yet)
    Rob
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Great! Congrats on the new wheels.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Congratulations !! Tell us all about it.

dewars
  • Options
    Welcome to the Jeep owner's club! You know we are all wanting to know what options you chose, so give us some of those specs.

I also think it was a good idea to read old posts, definitely a wise choice for anyone contemplating buying a Jeep. If you are going to drop down 20 grand for a Wrangler, isn't it worth your time to spend a few days searching back through the history of this board? I'd imagine we cover just about everything here over the course of a year or so. There's a lot of collective wisdom in the archives here :)
  • Options
    stubagstubag Member Posts: 3
    I apologize in advance if this topic has been beat like a dead horse, but I would like your advice on the door situation. We are about to buy a Wrangler Sport, and are desperately looking for one with half doors. Most around our area have full doors. I don't like the comfort factor with the full doors, but on the other hand, could they be more safe? I appreciate all of your comments.
  • Options
    I believe full doors are standard on the Sport this year, which is probably why that's what you see on the dealer lots. You'll have to special order a Sport with half doors.

On the safety issue, the only thing I know that might address that is 3 or 4 posts up--the Insurance Institute tests remarked that the dummy in the crash tests leaned out a little because of the half doors being so low, which could be dangerous. I doubt it really makes much difference though. Half vs full doors is really a personal preference. Half doors are much better when the top is off (though not as fun as NO doors). Full doors are much better when the top is on and are a bit quieter besides.
  • Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who reads back posts. I print them all up and then read them on the way to work (my other half drives in, I drive home). I've learned a great deal about the cars I'm considering to replace my Taco doing that... Let us know all the details.

It seems like they are putting full doors on more models these days. I have full doors since I have the hard top and I have a love/hate relationship with them. There are advantages and disadvantages both ways. One thing you can always do is take the doors off entirely and then you don't have to worry about the argument - isn't that right tsjay?
  • Options
    congrats girl..You a step closer to that JEEP..
    I knew you could sell that firechicken...
    Congrats ROB welcome to the family..gotta post the specs..

Keep Jeepin
    Bama
  • Options
    oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Appstate88, I am in the Ft. Hood area and most of the time I don't get a wave from other Jeep drivers. When I do get a wave it is usually the hand at the top of the steering wheel. I try to get my hand out the window to wave, but I can always go from the top of the wheel.

Robs213, congrats guy! Time to do that all that slow breakin driving. Curious on what you decided for options after reading all the old posts.

Dwrangler, you are getting closer. Did it all go Ok getting rid of the chicken? Hang in there.
  • Options
    markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32
    Rob-
    Congrats on the new Jeep! - Be sure to post often and tell us how much fun you are having with her. We need details!! What did you pick out for options??

Stubag-
    I have a Sport with the full doors- I think that the 1/2 doors look better with the top down, but I just take the doors off when possible, so it doesn't really matter. The full doors will be better in the winter, and provide security (some) if paired with a hard top.
  • Options
    robs213robs213 Member Posts: 4
    well lets see where to start...
    Wrangler X with half doors, 5 speed, 3.73, a/c, Differential lock, Convenience group, wheel plus group and cruise...
    the back posts mostly helped me decide between going for a sport or the X and whether or not to go with the trac lok... the only difference between my X and a sport is foglights and the ability to get the dana 44, sentry key, and the canyon wheel & tire group.. oh and a couple of thousand dollars not counting those options.
    I figured since I plan on putting in my own security system and dont plan on doing major off-roading the X was the way to go.

Just to confirm what others have said, the full doors are standard on the 2002 Sport so youll prob have to order one or get an X :-)

...and yes, this break in period is killing me already

Rob (driving slow and trying not to smile too much)
  • Options
    I might have to go back and re-read all of these posts so that I don't forget to respond to all of them.

Dewars

My lift wasn't high enough to give me any problems with vibrations. It was nominally a 2" lift, but I'm not sure I even got the full 2" out of it. I am the third owner of those springs and the second owner of the shocks. The springs may have been intended for a softop Jeep, and I have the hardtop (extra weight). They could have also compressed some by the time they got to me.

The wheels are 8" AR767s with 4" backspacing. The standard Canyon wheels that I had were also 8" but had 5.5" backspacing, so even though the new mud tires are the same size as the all terrains, 31 x 10.50, they stick out past the flares while the all terrains were flush. I have more breathing room on the inside now between the inside of the tires and the frame. This means that Thelma Jane has a wider track now.

appstate88

Welcome back to the good old USA, and, as I have told you before, thank you for your service to our country. Good to have you back here with us again!

Robs123

Welcome to the club! Congratulations on the new Jeep! Be a frequent poster: we need lots of posts to keep this place alive. Tell us more about yourself and keep us informed on how you are enjoying that Jeep.

Stubag

Welcome to this message board, and please make yourself at home. This isn't like most places you go, and you ain't gonna get flamed for asking a question, no matter how many times it may have been asked before. We are all friends here and respect each other.

I have the hard top, so, of course, I have the full doors. I think I would want the full doors, even if I had the soft top. The half door windows must be zipped and unzipped at drive-up windows, and if it's raining, I have heard that you get water inside when you unzip the windows. I have also heard that they are prone to scratching.

When the weather is nice enough for top down, just take the doors off! I LOVE topless/doorless Jeepin'! You just HAVE to try it. You won't believe the wonderful feeling of having the top down (off in my case) and the doors off.

I don't know if this will be your first ever Wrangler (or CJ), but if it is, you simply do not have a clue as to how much fun a Jeep is. You might THINK you know, but just wait til you get one! :)

EVERYONE

Let's get together at Gills for some big time chatting! For you new guys, Gill's web site is a totally noncommercial, private web site. Gill is a guy in southern Alabama who loves Jeeps and created a web site for all Jeepers to use for free. There is no advertising, no membership fee, nothing like that at all. There is a chat room, a bulletin board, and a photo gallery. The address is http://itsajeep.org (no www and be sure to use .org and not .com) We have some great chats there about every night from around 7 or 8 PM central time til about 10 or 11 PM. Come join us!

Hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

Tsjay (Tom)

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
  • Options
    Well, the buyer is a woman buying the car for her son who will be attending Mizzou in the Fall next school year. She had some problems transfering assets into her account in time today to be able to get the cashier's check to me, so it may be delayed a day or two but the sale WILL still happen. The other thing that she wasn't too thrilled about was when I told her that the transfer of the title would take 2-3 weeks (business days), which is normal...at least for the past 3 or 4 cars that I've sold myself. With the low rates and all of the titles issued it could take a bit longer, but my Dad told me that she could get a temporary tag til the title is processed and I can get it signed and in her hands. I was kinda disappointed that I couldn't get a bit more, but I can't really complain that much with the private sale quoted at 5900-6500...not bad I thought. It keeps my record at only going down 500 dollars at the most to get the sale (I had been asking 7500 but I figured that I'd get around 6500).

Thanks for the encouraging words gang...I can't wait to finally be able to say I'm officially part of the family with the new arrival. :)

Thanks too to mntgal, oceantoad, bamatazz, and congrats to rob123.

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
  • Options
    stubagstubag Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate everyone's comments. Unfortunately (well, not really), I didn't read them before we went out and bought our 2002 Sport with soft-top and half-doors. This is our first Jeep and I'm so excited. I'm already looking at the weather reports for this weekend
    (mostly sunny and warm) in anticipation of topless driving. The Jeep, I mean.
  • Options
    Stubag - Conrats on the new Wrangler! You can always get sliders for your half doors for the winter, if the zippered windows get to you. Personally, I always thought it was cool looking to drive up somewhere and zip down the window - part of the Wrangler experience. Of course, I have full doors, so I've never had the opportunity to get a free bath in the rain! When I bought my Wrangler in '98 the dual tops came with both sets of doors. That's what I was the best idea - you would have the option. I understand they changed that the next year, because it is definitely not like that now.

robs123 - sounds like a well thought out choice for you. I had never had fog lights (or felt a desire for them) before I moved to the mountains, I'm really glad they happened to come on my Sport - they make a huge difference on those early (4:30 am) mornings when it is either snowing hard or foggy, both can be common occurances around the house. Now if I were still a "flatlander" living in LA, I wouldn't bother with them!

dwrangler - It's great that it is still going through. One of the reasons I haven't pursued selling the Taco on a personal sale is all the hastle of sending the money to the loan company, etc. When my hubby did it that way with his work truck, he hurried the process by wiring the money to the loan agency, rather than sending them a check. We got the title about a week later - much faster! Good luck!
  • Options
    oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Congrats on the new Sport. You have to give up some details on what you went with for options.

I like the looks of the half doors better than the full, but I got tired of the zippers on my old CJ5 and went with full doors on my Sport. If nothing else it is nice to have the option on your choice of doors. You are going to enjoy it no matter what doors you have.

Once again congrats.

I am still a happy camper.
  • Options
    "bath in the rain"?

I have a 1997 Sport with zipper windows, and never experienced this phenomenon. In fact, they aren't even bad in the snow (not that we had much this past winter!).

I thought only the Sahara came with fog lights. I passed on the fogs, and bought some E-spec Cibie lights instead. These lights are great. I plan on upgrading the wiring and adding higher wattage bulbs maybe this summer. A lot cleaner and neater than the extra lights hanging off the bumper. (I may put some cheapo $19 "fog" or "driving" lights on the back bumper for use when camping or hooking up boat at night. Could come in real handy.

If I had my choice again, I might get full hard doors for winter, and then buy aftermarket cloth doors for spring/summer/fall.

I am contemplating a bikini or the full size bikini top, but don't see an advantage over the standard soft top with sides and back removed. I want the shade for the dog when she is with us.

Anyone know the difference between the different bikini versions. The simpler (cheaper, easier, less drilling) the better. I might just talk to a canvas guy in the area and see if he can make something which attaches with just some ties in front and straps for the back. Minimalistic is the word here.
  • Options
    appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks Anonymous02!

What a great bunch of sites on the Jeep Wave! My favorite was

www.dirtroad.com/jeepwave/

Even has a chart with a hierarchy of jeeps! What a hoot.

But I think of it more as a Wrangler Wave instead of a Jeep Wave. My wife and I usually acknowledge only Wranglers and their direct ancestors such as CJ's, Willys, etc.

To me Grand Cherokees and Cherokees, while terrific vehicles, aren't part of the Rough and Tumble Wrangler Club. So we don't wave at them at all. (Though a really good looking Wagoneer will sometimes get a slight smile and a nod of the head...)

BTW, Anonymous02, what is your style of Wrangler Wave?

TSJAY,

Thanks for all your good wishes while I was overseas, along with everyone else on the Board. It's great to be home and I'm really looking forward to getting to meet some of the names I've seen here at Jeep events!

Take care,

AppSTate88
  • Options
    Whatever the moment dictates.

Sometimes it is difficult to not wave when driving my wife's car. She makes fun of me and has to remind me I am not in the jeep.

;-)
  • Options
    serobserob Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. TsJay was beggin & pleadin me to check this place out. I'm a "regular" over at gills, and recognize many people here. For those who don't know me, my name is Rob, I'm from the east SF bay area. I have a 98 TJ se with a 4" teraflex lift, 33" MTR's and a bunch of other crap on it :) My other Jeep which is currently only a yard ornament for now is 57 Willys Wagon. I'm hopin to start that project next winter. I have a website, www.gottrail.com which has a chat room also, some tech stuff, and lots of pics of the trails in the norCal area. i hope to be able to come here often & help out where I can :)

be sure to keep the somewhat shiny side up :)
  • Options
    Thanks for coming over here! Be a regular from now on. This is a nice friendly place, like Gills.

Tom

• Options
    Welcome. It is nice to see another CA face. There are a couple of us who are regulars on the board!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you're here and expect to hear all about your Jeep experiences.

Aside to tsjay - your recruitment check is in the mail ... ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    This is an interesting link - thought first of you guys :-) [and gals!]

Google Catalogs.

It's in beta, so usual disclaimers.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Hmmmm - liked looking at those replacement seats. Too bad they are for the Wrangler, who's seats I like, and not for the Tacoma, who's seats I hate! It's really neat to have so many catalogues in one place!
  • Options
    thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Hey Rob, good to see you here!
    Kahuna
  • Options
    I haven't heard from the woman that is supposed to be buying my car for her son to go to college with....I'm not sure if she is really still interested and is having problems with her bank in the transfer of assets or if she is having second thoughts. I'm going to give her a call tomorrow and see where we're at and to tell her that I want to get this deal closed before the 26th before my insurance installment is due. If she's changed her mind, that's fine I just need to know...I wouldn't be offended...I just have plans that I want to go forward with.

One way or another by the end of the summer I'll have a new Jeep or a used one with very low miles on it with a hard top and full doors :)

I drove the used black Sahara, but brother was that salesmanager aggressive....he kept me there 15 minutes longer than I wanted to stay there. I just wanted to drive the thing.

It may sound odd but I feel alot more comfortable and safer as well in the Jeep than I do in my car....they say patience is a virtue, but MAN the wait is KILLING ME! ;)

Well how do ya like the site so far Rob :)

Mntgal, Did you say you had a black Jeep with hardtop? I like the looks of the black Sahara but I don't know if the timing's right. I have to sell the car and put back at least 3500 more to feel comfortable buyin a new one which probably means that with the selection at the two lots I've looked at I'll more than likely have to order one. But even though I like the Sienna color if I could get the right deal on a used or new Jeep...I'd take another color. :)

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
  • Options
    Haven't seen ya in gills the last few nights. Get back in there with us! We miss ya.

Tom

• Options
    Hey, say hi and welcome to RxZJ, if he shows up here. He is another recruit from Gill's place. His name is Josh.

He is currently driving a '96 Grand Cherokee that has a lift and my old Canyon wheels on it. (He is the guy that bought my wheels).

Josh wants to trade his ZJ for a Wrangler.

Tom

• Options
    rdwranglerrdwrangler Member Posts: 1
    I just got my new Fire Red Sport last night. It was a tough decision to make buying a new car (my First)after 13 years in an Accord. After reading posts out here since Nov' 2000, I had hoped I'd made the right decision. In less than 14 hours, I now know that it was. Thanks everyone for providing me with the detailed information I needed to get exactly what I wanted.

I couldn't be happier. For those reading thinking about a Wrangler, I sure feel like I've made the right choice with mine!

See you on the road!
  • Options
    Yes - I have a black Sport, black hard top, full doors, '98. That combo came with the grey interior (which I like). I personally don't care for the cloth they put in the Saharas - there is something about the green and brown combination I don't particularly care for, but that is a personal thing. I prefer the cloth in the Sport model (I also know people who hate it). Get whichever you prefer and can afford - I don't think there is an advantage either way.

While the black shows the brown dust quite a bit, it isn't any harder to keep clean than anything else - but that's something I don't pay that much attention to. The cover for the spare tire picks up more dirt than the car itself does, so it always looks more grey than black. Go to that link for the second album I posted - I think the last picture in the album is the dirtiest as I've ever had it.

This is my first black vehicle, and it is noticably hotter in the summer. I was surprised that it made a difference, since I have darkish blue and brown vehicles in the past (along with red and a very unforgettable orange). Since I don't think you have as much heat to deal with as I do out here, it might not be an issue with you. If it weren't for the heat issue, I would gladly get another black Wrangler.

rdwrangler - Welcome to the best group of car owners! If you think you like your Wrangler now, wait until you get to really play with it!
  • Options
    Congratulations on your TJ ! Tell us all about it.

Which equipment did you get?

dewars
  • Options
    Congrats DUDE!!
    Welcome to the family... Keep us posted on it..
    Ok...you gotta get a name for that TJ..

DWRANGLER..sorry about your set back..but..
    At least your driving some jeeps.. Dont give up girl. Dont let those salesman pressure ya.
    You probably know more than they do about jeeps.
    Hey..TAZZ is black.. LOVE it.. Ive Always loved a black car. you know the black ones are the ones with the LEAST imperfections, Because they show more.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
  • Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! Ain't these little Wranglers THE coolest things in the world?

Glad you found useful info here in this message board. Now, become part of us, and post often. Maybe you can pass along some things to others who are thinking about getting a Jeep.

If want to "talk Jeep until you are blue in the face," come to Gill's and join our chats there. Would love to hear you go on and on about that new Jeep!

http://itsajeep.org

Go to the chat room from the home page. You might take a minute to check out the photo gallery before you come to the chat room.

Tom

• Options
    Well, after five consecutive weekends when none of my wheelin' Buds was able to go, I am going tomorrow! PRAISE GAWD!

I have those rocker guards and the Kilby gas tank skid that I should be installing this weekend, but I just can't pass up the chance to wheel after all of this time. Sure hope I don't get damage that those things would have prevented if they had been on Thelma instead of sitting in the garage!

Tom

• Options
    madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    Hey all. How's it going? Have not been able to be online much, work is keeping me pretty busy. And when I'm not in the office, I don't feel like sitting in my tiny apartment too often, especially in weather like this. But at least I was able to finally take my doors off. All I can say is AWESOME!

Question for Moderator...I would like to post some pics, but the site tells me I cannot have words longer than 115 characters. I believe this has come up in the past, but I couldn't find the answer. Is there a workaround?

madman
  • Options
    madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
  • Options
    That worked. You can also use makeashorterlink.com and sometimes doing a spell check first will "fool" the software.

Nice palm tree shot!

Steve
    Host