Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Decent because it made provisions which were not in the original bill that would have made it impossible for full line manufacturers to survive. That was the intent, to force truck makers out of business, but some cooler minds prevailed.

I have said enough before but true, full line manufacturers in this country would not be able to compete on the car side with those companies that only make cars. Toyota may have survived because they have much money in the bank and the truck side of their business is a very small percentage of their sales.
  • I think he's done a fairly good job at differentiating some of the GM products. Like I may have said before, the G5/Cobalt bear too much of a resemblence to each other, they need to put some more effort in that one. I have to agree with the comparisons you've made, I think you're right on target. I actually think there's enough styling difference between the Outlook and Enclave but it's not a HUGE difference. At least the hp output between the two can be different (270 in the Outlook vs standard 275 in the Acadia). :D

Since GMC is their exclusive truck division, that should be the one that's 'bolder', has more 'this is what a truck is supposed to be' attitude about it. Same platform between the two is fine but that's the downside of trying to save money, can create too much sharing at times.

Like others in this post and other posts have said, bring the interiors up to par with their competition and you'll see dramatic forward steps in sales. Too many reports about their interiors being lackluster. I hear the one about the Malibu is good, maybe that will help change the image of GM (Gonnabe Mediocre)
    I forgot about the G5. That car was brought out to fix a mistake. Pontiac shoulda had a coupe compact. Period. Once GM got lambasted by the pontiac dealers they rushed one into production with new fascias. Hopefully this will be corrected soon with a new vehicle at Pontiac. Perhaps the new Vibe?

Interiors are also "fixed" since Lutz took over. LaCrosse, while having a not so well styled interior is top notch in quality and materials in it's segment. From then on it got better. SRX, CTS, full size trucks, Lamdas, Aura have all been given Kudos for thier interiors.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,155
    One of the first things I noticed about the LaCrosse was its interior which was much nicer than either the Century or Regal. The interior in my girlfriend's car is holding up well.
    Looks like we all better be ready for a new mix of vehicles and some large price increases. Most likey the increase, due to competition, will be closer to $5000. With the increase in aluminum usage (the hybrid SUV's use huge amount of aluminum body parts) aluminum price will skyrocket. As in the 70's HP will greatly decrease to about 1/2 of where it is today. Perfectly acceptable but quite a change in what we are used to.

SAN DIEGO -- A massive change to General Motors’ future product plans is
    expected if the 35 mpg CAFÉ fleet average favored by Congress is enacted
    into law.

“The minute we have confirmation of the 35 mpg rule, that is the point
    where we go through all of our forward product plans and probably
    introduce, frankly, massive restructuring of the product plan,” said GM
    Vice Chairman Bob Lutz. “A 35 mpg fleet mix means there is a bunch of
    stuff out there that is going to have to be 40 and 50 mpg.”

He estimated a $6,000 to $7,000 increase in the price of vehicles
    requiring new technology. GM is offering a two-mode hybrid power system
    in the 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon, although it has not said what
    the price of the option will be.

While such vehicles as 2008 Saturn Astra, which goes on sale later this
    month, gets 32 mpg on the highway and could be tweaked to reach 35 mpg,
    he said “there is no way that we’re going to get pickups and sport
    utilities to anywhere close to 35 mpg.” The two-wheel-drive Tahoe with a
    two-mode hybrid system gets 21 mpg city/22 mpg highway.

Lutz said it is impossible for GM’s Lambda-based crossovers, such as the
    Buick Enclave, to achieve 35 mpg, he said. GM’s plans for larger
    rear-wheel-drive vehicles like a Chevrolet Impala replacement remain
    uncertain, Lutz said.
    Finally, some Christmas cheer for those beleaguered execs at General
    Motors Corp.
    Robert A. Lutz fulfilled a pledge to deliver "benchmark" cars after
    being to a top executive in 2001.

The company finally cracked an exclusive motoring list. And in a big
    way.
    GM placed three vehicles in Car and Driver magazine's 10 Best list for
    2008, which appears in the January edition that became available this
    week.

That's fitting, because in 2004 Lutz took over responsibility for GM's
    global product development.

GM's nameplates on the current list are Chevrolet's Malibu and Corvette
    and the Cadillac CTS

Alisa Priddle, senior news editor at CarandDriver.com, said that the
    three GM models are impressive -- especially the Malibu, which she
    tested back-to-back with the Toyota Camry.

"The Malibu was definitely a better performer than the Camry," she said.
    Interesting that there is only a 4 point spread now between Toyota and GM yet GM increase it's percentage 3 points over last year. Huge jump for GM while Toyota did not change. It looks like it was Toyota, GM Honda, BMW, Ford(54.4) and then Chrysler at 50%.

Toyota Motor Company does a better job than any car company
    in America of keeping its customers coming back, according to data from
    J.D. Power and Assoc. General Motors ranks second in customer retention.

Among recent new car buyers whose previous car was a Toyota, Lexus or
    Scion 68.9 percent bought another Toyota Motor Co. product. That's
    similar to Toyota's retention rate last year, according to J.D. Power.

Meanwhile, owners of Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac, Saab or other GM vehicles
    bought a GM product again 64.7 percent of the time, according to J.D.
    Power.

That represent's about a three percentage point improvement over last
    year for GM.
    One thing that came out was that if you look at individual marques like Chevrolet or Pontiac the customer retention does not look that great. This is the data that is published to the media. However the writer of this story was shown the corporate data and found that GM is just under Toyota in retention.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011

Hows it going pal !!!! Thanks for the article !!!! I have to say something and that is this new CTS, is gotta be one hot seller. I see more 2008 CTS's here in Grand Rapids, Mi. than I do camcords !!!! :surprise: They are everywhere!!!!! :surprise:

When I make the big bucks like gagrice, when I get older :P then I'm going to have to invest in another "LAC" :shades:

-Rocky
    Just reporting the facts. No one can seem to make any comments about them though. Too busy complaining about air filters. :blush:
    Shoot, the CTS is selling so hot, my dealership can't even keep 'em in stock!
    http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil12dec12,0,249526- 1.story?coll=la-class-autos-highway1

So here's a new thought, worthy of defending: Cadillac makes a better car than BMW or Mercedes or Lexus or Infiniti, and that car is the 2008 CTS. No other car in the mass market, with so much at stake for its makers, dares so much as this expressive and audacious bit of automotive avant-gardism. In a segment that lives and dies by European benchmarks, the CTS sets fire to the bench and throws it through the shopkeepers' window.

But just park the CTS next to the competition. The Mercedes-Benz C350 looks hidebound by its own heritage; the BMW, staid and predictable, a law clerk's car. In this big-numbers segment -- entry luxury sport-sedans -- there is a distinct proclivity to play it safe. The CTS hits the street like a ruby fired out of a shotgun.
    Indeed, because there is so much technical parity in this segment, it's personality and character, not trivial tenths of acceleration or cornering, that make one car worth buying and the other not.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    to say absolutely nothing of any substance. A masterpiece of puffery.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    Well, the avant-garde is what put Automobile off, while Motor Trend loved it. Car & Driver liked the CTS with the automatic but was put off by the 6 speed manual. Road & Track was going to do a comparison with a 5-series but realized that they were not in the same class.

I seriously doubt that any long time Mercedes or BMW owners are trading for the CTS. But Camry owners looking to move into the sport sedan segment may well give the CTS serious consideration.
    I'd like to see even one documented case of a satisfied Camry owner trading it in on a CTS as her primary ride.
  • Sadly, GM manual gearboxes suck royally. Ugh, I drove the first gen CTS and it was like rowing a rod through a box of rocks. Seriously, it was notchy, clunky and the most imprecise shifter I've ever driven this side of an eighties Saab 900. If it's the same contraption used in the Solstice then it's probably the same one that came from the Colorado pickup truck. The clutch takeup on it was really tough to modulate as well, I would have hated to drive one in bumper to bumper traffic. I probably would have had to get out and stretch my leg every 5 minutes with the damn thing! :D

Unfortunately the availablity/popularity of "rowing it yourself" has been given way to DSG's and slicker Automanuals so I bet the Automatic version is an infinitely better driver. And a manual CTS is a rare bird anyways (even the salesman, "Slick Rick" had no idea the dealership had one) and GM would be smart to keep it that way or just eliminate them altogether.
    I can see at least one instance of a satisfied LaCrosse owner trading it in on a CTS as her primary ride.
    I can see that, too, but the kind of person who spends their money on a Camry isn't the sort of person who then turn around and spends it on a CTS. Completely different mindsets and worldviews. If the Camry buyer wants a luxury sport sedan, they're getting an IS350 or G35.
  • torque_rtorque_r Posts: 500
    Four of 6 finalists for NA Car & Truck of the Year are GM's. Cadillac CTS, Chevrolet Malibu, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid and Buick Enclave. The other 2 vehicles are the Honda Accord and Mazda CX-9
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123944

YEP !!!! :shades:

GM, is kicking butt !!! The turn around is working !!! :blush:

-Rocky
    GREAT! Strange but I wonder which vehicles GM wants to have win the top spots? I would say the Malibu because they need the press on that one.

Not sure on the truck side which one they want. The Enclave is selling like mad so perhaps they would rather have the Hybrid Tahoe since it is going to be a hard sell. Greenies would not like it because it is so big even if it got 30/40 mpg. And those who buy SUV's are not going to want to spend the extra bucks because there will be no pay back. It also does not offer much in the way of styling difference so those who buy to be seen will see no reason to, i.e. the Honda Accord Hybrid syndrome.
    It also does not offer much in the way of styling difference so those who buy to be seen will see no reason to, i.e. the Honda Accord Hybrid syndrome.

Yeah, putting "H Y B R I D" lettering on the flanks might help a bit, but a different grille and an aero kit to reduce the drag coefficient would have done more in both the looks and performance departments.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    A camry owner is more likely to consider all the options when it comes to buying a sport sedan, while mercedes or bmw owners are less likely. What GM/Cadillac need are not other GM owners trading GM cars for the CTS, but owners of other manufacturers trading in for a CTS. If Buick owners start trading in for CTS's then Buick is dead. :sick:

the camry owner is most likely going for the lexus es though
    as a drastically-needed product rationalization.
    Sounds like what we have discussed before. Give GMC the trucks, Ponitac RWD premium performance cars and Buick premium mid range luxury vehicles.

Now the question is, in the future, will the Enclave be dropped from Buick and only let GMC have one. Lots of ways to look at this, but my opinion is that GMC just could not pull off a fantastically styled vehicle like the Enclave. Just not truck enough. So let Buick keep the Enclave and compete with the Lexus CUV. Drop the Acadia at GMC and let Chevrolet sell the CUV Transverse.
    I gotta tell you, it takes someone like Bob to push something thru GM's system.

The Saturn Astra represents a quantum leap forward for GM in the small car market. For a mere $100 million, which is chicken feed for a new product, the General traded in the uninspiring Ion for the European juggernaut Opel Astra. Many thought GM was merely buying time (literally) until a truly global Astra appears in 2010, since we've been told for years that it was too expensive (see: Focus) to retro-fit a Euro-car for the US Market.

Maximum Bob has turned that paradigm upside down, as he explained that the spared development costs have netted GM savings of about $900 million. Of course, GM would probably never shell out $1 billion for a small car with a volume of 45,000 units per year, but since the General makes products all over the globe, it makes sense to sell the best cars and trucks wherever it can. If it helps keep your factories at full capacity while saving $900 million at the same time, than that's cool, too. Hey, if this is the new reality of automakers going global, we're all for it. Now Ford, bring on that Mondeo already!
    So let Buick keep the Enclave and compete with the Lexus CUV. Drop the Acadia at GMC and let Chevrolet sell the CUV Transverse.

That's what I would do, but I'd also dump the GMC version of the Equinox for an upclass Buick 5-seater and give GMC an old-school SUV based on the next midsize truck platform.
    What next midsize truck platform? I guess I see a great need for a real mid sized pick up truck in the future, but I doubt anyone will be selling a mid sized framed SUV in the future. Then again with the new fuel rules, perhaps there will be a forced market for a small SUV that can pull some heavy loads higher than the 5000# or so the CUV's are capable of.
    I'm assuming (perhaps optimistically) that GM won't simply leave the Colorado and Canyon to rot on the vine. Sharing the hood and cab with the truck would cut down development costs for a mid-size SUV oriented toward off-road use. The Tahoe and Suburban are too big for that role, and the CUVs exist for the kiddie market.