Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln MKT

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    The MKT will be out by next summer or fall at the latest. Unlike the 500/Taurus, the Lincoln version was planned from the start of the Flex project.

Will people buy a Ford to get Sync? OF COURSE! I think you underestimate the number of cell phone/mp3 player users out there. It won't cause a die-hard Honda fan to buy a Fusion but but it will definitely close the deal on customers who would otherwise be on the fence. And it will cause current owners to upgrade sooner than they normally would. What's not to like about being able to use your phone without taking it out of your pocket? Forget the voice control - just being able to plug in your IPOD directly without going through a FM transmitter or audio jack is a big advantage over the competition.

I can't believe that Ford does something truly innovative for a change and you're poo-pooing it like crazy. Even if you don't want it you should be able to appreciate it.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Yeah, Joe, Ford does something innovative for a change and you gotta play the curmudgeon regardless.

By this time next year, when you are driving a SYNC-equipped MKT, I won't laugh. Promise.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    Not to pile on my friend jeyhoe but I love the Sync commercials and they seem to be working. Vitually every friend or family member to whom we have shown my wife's Taurus has said, "Does it have that great system where you can tell it to call home or what song to play? That is so cool!"

Jeyhoe is getting an MKS with SYNC - not an MKT. I am going to work him over until he cracks!
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    OUCH!

Well, bruce, if you can hit me with a briefcase full of money, your plan might work!

OK, so the boy racers and hip-hop crowd will love sync. Didnt know there were so many of those types here! ;)

Phone thing is cool, but u dont need sync for most of that functionality.

I'd really love to know how many people want to be able to talk to the radio in their car. Personally, I'D RATHER HAVE A RELIABLE GOOD LOOKING WORLD CLASS RWD VEHICLE. But I guess that's just me. When Ford does THAT (again - referring to LS) CALL ME.
    No problem. I will sell you a RELIABLE GOOD LOOKING WORLD CLASS RWD VEHICLE - my LS. You can talk to the radio until the cows come home and it will ignore you just like a wife.
    If you think only boy racers and the hip hop crowd uses bluetooth cell phones and Ipods you are sadly mistaken. There are soccer moms and business men and women drooling all over Sync.

Yes, you can get hands free bluetooth built into the car, but you won't get voice command and it won't read text messages to you. You can also get an Ipod interface but again it won't provide voice control. Just being able to play mp3s from a thumb drive is pretty amazing.

Welcome to the 21st century!
    Too late, already have one.

Hope my point wasnt lost though that I cant buy a NEW one, not from Ford anyway.

Well, that's not quite correct. I COULD buy a JAG XF, which is the replacement for the S-Type. See Jaguar (Ford) took the S-Type and modernized it into a fantastic vehicle. Lincoln (Ford) OTOH threw in the towel on the XFs predecessor, the LS and ... ah what's the use? It'll soon be the TATA XF anyway.
    "Welcome to the 21st century"

Thanks! Many times I didnt think I'd make it.

But me? I dont have no stinkin IPOD. I dont have no stinkin MP-3. My 8 year old has one. Is that Ford's target market? Also my 20 year old has one. She cant afford a new car either. And lets not forget this innovative technology costs $795 on the Edge (you MUST also buy the convenience package - last time I checked anyway.) Thats a dam sight more money than bluetooth. And some of that money goes to Bill Gates, a modern-day robber-baron.

Finally I'll tell you something for certain - SYNC wont sell any Lincolns. The people I see driving Lincolns most certainly do NOT have IPODs or MP-3 players. Victrolas maybe. I saw a beautiful silver LS yesterday. 2002 with the ground-effects package. Nice. As I pulled alongside, I prepared to wave to a fellow traveler. But she didnt look. Probably arthritis kept her head from turning to the left. Her hair was a nice shade of blue though. Went well with the silver paint.

Dont take this personal anyone, but I think that anyone who buys a Ford, Mercury or Lincoln over something else because of sync is intellectually challenged.
    Maybe you're just technologically challenged.........
    Finally I'll tell you something for certain - SYNC wont sell any Lincolns. The people I see driving Lincolns most certainly do NOT have IPODs or MP-3 players. Victrolas maybe. I saw a beautiful silver LS yesterday. 2002 with the ground-effects package. Nice. As I pulled alongside, I prepared to wave to a fellow traveler. But she didnt look. Probably arthritis kept her head from turning to the left. Her hair was a nice shade of blue though. Went well with the silver paint.

Some of my co-workers are wondering why I am sitting in my office chuckling. Thanks for the entertaining post! I am sure that blue haired lady uses the RWD balance, Formula 1 inspired suspension, and select-shift transmission to their fullest potential.
    It was probably a loaner from the dealer who was servicing her Town Car...
    "Maybe you're just technologically challenged........."

Yeah, that's it.

I would encourage folks to read our friend the autoextremist today. Reports on the Detroit show. He was real positive about Ford ... said it looks like they might actually have a future. He was less positive about the 'Mickey-T' calling it a "bustle-back monstrosity". Sounds about right, now that I saw the rear view in his article.

OTOH, his biggest praise was for GM. The CTS-V, the CTS coupe, etc. Geez, when I think back to 2000 when the LS came out and GM had the Catera. What a shame 8 years later we have the Mickey-Z and town car.

Also, compare the Cadillac Provoq concept to the monstrosity to see what coherent design focus vs a 'let's try this now' design attitude can get ya.

Oh and as for the debate about Mercury, which our Alan and the real Ford Alan says is safe, Mercury apparently wasn't even present at the show. Nothing, not even a sign.
    The bustle back is for me one of the best parts of the MKT. It is provocative, and evocative as well of classic cars--without being retro (and it provides more storage without being a full boxy squared-off wagon design).

It will get attention more in the way the the clumsy locomotive look of the current Rolls does, rather than the retarded design of the Aztec. Once again it is a good sign that Lincoln is creating things people hate or love, rather than careful pablum like the MKZ.
    Hey, glad u like it. THat's what makes the world interesting.

I think though that you might have something - bringing the Aztek into the discussion. THis Mickey-T thing will sell as well as the Aztek if it sees the light of day looking the way it does. But it won't. I dont think.

U know, it still boggles my mind that the same company that produced a beautiful, tasteful almost universally acclaimed concept like the Continental would kill that and then create a panned combination steam locomotive+AMC Pacer+Ford Model A and decide to build THAT one.

Personally, given the wherewithall to do it, I'd buy a RWD Continental concept in a heartbeat and be proud to drive it. OTOH this Mickey-Mouse Bustle-Back answer to a question NO ONE is asking should go straight to Mattel.
    Why do you assume that if YOU don't like it that nobody else will?

This isn't just a luxury sedan - it's a luxury people mover whether it's classic seating for 7 or super luxury seating for 2 or 3.

The RWD vehicles are coming, but up until a few months ago there was no platform in the plans for them to be built on. The Continental concept was unfortunately just a concept - not production capable.
    I would have bought the Continental in a heartbeat as well. Tasteful, not derivative of other makes, and definitely not vanilla either. That combo is very hard to do.

I am not in the market for a CUV like the MKT. However, I do think it is distinctive in a Rolls sort of way: creative, polarizing and not derivative of anything else. The very odd Infiniti RX has sold well, because it dared to be daring, almost to the point of cartoonish, without the total lack of grace in the were the lines of the Aztec.

The MKT has the same sort of daring as the RX: it will turn some people off (some very strongly, like you), but others will be very drawn to its wow factor. No one thought the Aztec was anything more than homely or clumsy. It is like the difference between the Honda Element (or Scion Xb) and the Aztec. Some people equated them all as awful, but of those who did not, they still found the jumble of different and noncontiguous neighborhoods on the surface of the Aztec off-putting.
    I meant REAR seating for 2 or 3. That would be 4-5 total as opposed to 6 or 7 for the regular version.
    Oh and as for the debate about Mercury, which our Alan and the real Ford Alan says is safe, Mercury apparently wasn't even present at the show. Nothing, not even a sign.

Ford should sell Volvo, continue to rebuild Lincoln's image and move it slightly upmarket, and position Mercury as the entry level Luxury brand. Mercury does not need any trucks. Just focus on an upscale mid-size sedan, an upscale full-size sedan, and a sporty luxury coupe.

The upscale mid-size sedan should use the Mazda/Fusion/Milan platform but have amenities more like the current MKZ. The full-size sedan should use the upcoming RWD platform. Continue the old Grand Marquis until the new RWD platform is ready. The sporty luxury coupe should be based on the Mustang but be much more refined and luxurious. They don't need the Sable or Mariner at all.
    Lots of good ideas for Mercury, but no one is listening right now. If Oldsmobile can so easily go away, Mercury is also expendable. Once Ford gets out from under a bit, I think the Mercury planning will be more about how to kill it without incurring huge expense and lawsuits. There's just no creative thinking at all being spared for the sign of the cat.

It's a legacy from family members like Elena and Bill (I hope there is no inbreeding going on). Bill Ford is a nice enough dude, he also proved quite capable of running a family business into the ground. The idea that old family feuds could affect objective decision-making about a venerable marque like Lincoln is beyond ludicrous. They should have all been spanked. Oh, I guess they were, when you look at all the Ford wealth that went poof with the well-deserved stock plunge.
    Mercury simply isn't a priority right now - too many things to fix at Ford and Lincoln and only so much time and money to do it with.

I honestly don't think they've made a decision either way, and probably won't for another couple of years.